Lost Mangroves - N4A Chat Thread, May 2018

Chrom

this fucked up my day

i stopped following him as much in later years but his channel was a big mover/shaker for videogame content meant to inform consumers and he had a lot of influence in the wow and starcraft scene when i was living through them

fuck cancer

I never watched his videos, but I know that during the Gamergate shitstorm, he was one of the few who understood the difference between a few idiots sending death threats and harassment towards people, and people who were genuinely concerned about the state of game journalism.

Rest in peace.

Fuck cancer. Fuck cancer. Fuck cancer.

I haven't been a consistent follower of TB but I don't know how many of his videos I watched over the years about various games; I always appreciated the content he put out. I listened to the cooptional podcast for a while as well, and fuck does this just not even seem real. The man was only 34 as well, and so influential in so many games and in the industry. Rest in peace.

it was more than "a few idiots" and his insistence on focusing on "game journalism" portion while ignoring or handwaving the enormous harassment campaigns people did is is a massive blackspot on his career enough to the point that people feel he empowered the toxic bullshit that came from it

he was a force in the youtube gaming industry but the gamergate bullshit is something a lot of people (rightfully in many cases) haven't forgiven him for, let's not mince words here y;

Edited by luca

I was sympathetic to the Gamergate idea initially.
I didn't really care about that one chick's personal life.
But like gaming journalism has pretty obviously been full of nonsense. 
I just didn't really understand why people didn't just respond to that by... going elsewhere.
Who the fuck cares i stopped reading those sites years earlier and just looked for well-written reviews on fansites or whatever.
I'm sure there might be some devs that got unfairly slighted by journo cliques or something but at the same time they'll write about any stupid bullshit under the sun

But crazy reactionaries took it by storm real fast. And just gathered up all their reactionary fervor behind that banner until a better one came along lol
Pretending that didn't happen and that there could still be objectivity in the movement was really far-fetched.

Edited by Pichi
13 hours ago, ace said:

Have you actually watched it or are you just dumping on it like everyone else? 

Teen Titans Go?

Aye, I caught a glimpse of it a few times and I didn't really like what I saw. 

I dunno, I guess it's not for me, but I'm just kinda tired of seeing shows like Ben 10, Teen Titans, Power Puff Girls, and now Thunder Cats become watered down slice-of-life comedies. 

I'm not too invested in the whole American cartoon crowd nowadays, however, so I'm not gonna let that stuff ruin my entire day or anything. 

I don't know when I'll be back but it may not be before June. So, just in case, I'm already nominated we name the next chat thread Isle of Seiren in recognization of Ys VIII on the Switch. just do it.

also put caveat of checking reviews for ys viii on switch and pray to weebus that NISA did a good port job, etc. etc.

othrewise hi y'all, bye y'all.

Edited by KefkaFFVI

Finally got to try out a Switch today. Tried to play some Super Mario Odyssey. Liked the full controller charging grip as it made the joycons into one solid controller. Much easier to use and I can concentrate on playing a game instead of focusing on the joycons. 

8 minutes ago, Young P said:

The pro controller is also very good. The buttons aren't tiny and it has a good d-pad, which makes a big difference for some games (like Celeste).

Yea but that costs a pretty penny. I wish that we could choose which one came with the system. But I'm glad that I was able to adapt with the joycons in the controller charger. It's a decent one. And it'll do once I do get a Switch some day.

2 hours ago, Shadow118 said:

https://brickset.com/article/36213/lego-overwatch-sets-are-on-the-way

Not fully recent, but it seems Lego got the liscencing for Overwatch sets...

How curious... will be interesting to see how these turn out

something I’ll be keeping my eye on

I just wanna see Lego have an original IP that isn't Ninjago. At this point it's just a sausage fest full of licensed themes.