INFINITY WAR REVIEWS... AND SPOILERS

Since no one has come out and did this, I'll start it first. 

The story is amazing. Thanos does what he can to get the stones, and every hero tries to stop him. 

Thor gets a new weapon, with Rocket and Groot at his side. The Hulk gets powned, and refuses to come back after the brutal beating he got. Bruce is mad that he won't cooperate. Spiderman becomes an Avenger. Gamora dies, and Peter does not take that lightly. Everyone gets a lot of action in this movie, and its great. Stan Lee makes his usual cameo. And Thanos is not totally evil, his reasoning is just tragic. Though, Hawkeye does not appear. They say he has a family to take care of... but, saving the world is taking care of them. Ant-Man and Wasp are on the run, so it's not like they'll help any time soon. Though, Cap was, and he came back. Maybe they'll be in the next one with... Captain Marvel! 

The humor is on point and doesn't drag, and the deaths... oooooh boy, the deaths....

Heimdall and Loki, Gamora, and Vision... And, the wiping of the heroes turning to dust...

The pacing is non-stop. There's a lot of planning and battling. Nothing feels out of place, or feels like a dead end. Everything has a purpose. 

The visuals and music are great.

New York, Wokanda, somewhere in Sweden, Titan, and a ship are playthings for Thanos and his minions' amusement. There is a lot of great action, including anything Thanos does.

So, with that much praise, is there any problems with this film? I have one. 

I can excuse the time stone being taken. Dr. Strange might have known it was according to plan for that one victory. I can excuse Star-Lord getting angry, thus allowing Thanos to break free. Gamora died, who wouldn't want justice for the one who killed someone he loved? And I can excuse Gamora telling where the soul stone is. Gamora and Nebula are sisters, and after their little moment in Guardians 2, I am happy they're on good terms. Same goes for Loki. His death is on par with Gamora's. 

What I cannot excuse is Scarlet Witch not wanting to destroy the Mind Stone, which could destroy Vision. She loves him, I know, but seriously? She's risking the whole world because she's enamored with a sentient Hunk-O-Junk. Those two have less chemistry than the two duos I mentioned, and SHE'S IN LOVE WITH A ROBOT WITH BLASTING POWERS. (Come to think of it, Vision was nerf'd in this movie compared to Age of Ultron.) I was just thinking of the one memorable Spock quote "THE NEEDS OF THE MANY OUTWEIGH THE NEEDS OF THE FEW". And when she finally does it, Thanos uses the Time Stone to bring him back and the take the stone.

The Stones are used affectively as well.

Power: Thanos beats up a lot of the heroes, check. Space: Thanos goes to Titan and Wokanda, check. Reality: Thanos uses it to make things bubbles, and turns Drax to stone, and cuts Mantis, check. Time: Revives Vision, check. Mind: It gave life to Vision, check. Soul: ... I think the child Gamora and Thanos scene after Thor hits him with the hammer is a side effect of that.

Except for the one thing I hated, I love this movie. That's why I'll give Infinity War a 9.9/10. That one thing I have against this movie seems a little more than a nitpick. It's a vital part of the movie. 

So, for those who wanted to talk about this movie with no remorse, post your thoughts here. 

Edited by XLW

I get the feeling the “dust kills” will be reversible. If not they just ended a few franchises... and I thought some of them have sequels planned...

Loki’s death almost seemed like it wasn’t...enough... for his character. 

Aaaaaand I’m not a fan that it seems like Captain Marvel is going to take place in the past and it’s one of those “oh we never thought to mention this” things. 

The dust kills are definitely going to be reversed. Well, at the very least some of them I'd imagine. Spider-Man has a new movie coming out next year for christsakes! I guess it could take place before Infinity War but I get the feeling it won't. And after Black Panther has been such an immense hit there's no way they're going to let that franchise die without another movie or two. I could believe some of the dusted characters staying dead though, or coming back only to die for real.

And on the subject of deaths I'm shocked Iron Man didn't die. Maybe they want to have a reconciliation scene between him and Cap before one of them dies permanently.

Yeah the Captain Marvel movie is supposed to take place in the 90s, and I agree it's kind of a cheap move to just be like "oh all those other times there's been a huge crisis on earth we didn't bother to contact her but this time we will." Although that's kind of the same case with any of the individual super hero movies after The Avengers. If they know there are other super powered allies they could call on, why wouldn't they? We'll just have to suspend some disbelief for these kinds of moments.

Saw the move last night and loved it. Though, that ending...Totally wasn't expecting that. When the credits started to roll the whole theater was like "Whaaat?". LOL! :D I so wish I had recorded that reaction. Yeah, we were all caught off guard by the move...

Spoiler

being a Part 1.

*Spoiler 2 broken in light skin* >_<

Edited by alienboyva
10 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Saw the move last night and loved it. Though, that ending...Totally wasn't expecting that. When the credits started to roll the whole theater was like "Whaaat?". LOL! :D I so wish I had recorded that reaction. Yeah, we were all caught off guard by the move...

Reveal hidden contents

being a Part 1. 

*Spoiler 2 is broken* >_<

Yeah there were many reactions that I wanted to record. I went for a second time last night and didn't really think about recording these two reactions 1) when Cap comes out of the shadows. 2) When Thor gets his AX and pretty much steals the show at Wakanda. The whole theater went nuts.

Avengers 3 thoughts.

Second time around is still very good. But a lot of it relies on hyped on character reveals. 

All of the new characters that didn’t get erased are original characters from first Avengers. Expect a final grand hurrah with the original lineup. 

Hulk getting beat by Thanos was gold. And the dilemma to transform to Hulk adds to character. But I was let down with the lack of Hulk in the movie. Sort of tired of Hulkbuster. 

Thor was the most badass avenger in this movie. When he gets the ax the whole theater went crazy. I wanted to record that reaction. Thor got a lot of flack for stupid reasons with the first two movies but now be should be considered one of the best. Being Funny doesn’t equal bad.

The Guardians sucked in this movie, besides their scene with Thor. Star Lord let’s his emotions get in the way multiple times and doesn’t do anything to contribute in anyway, Gamora and Batista have no plan or don’t second guess on taking on Thanos head on. Groot was a prick up until the Thor ax, but he was very minimal. Raccoon and Thor make an awesome team and hope we see more in the future. 

Scarlett Johansson and Banner should have had a scene together by themselves. Probably will he in next Avengers.

Hard to give a complete critique on the movie when it’s in two parts and there’s unfinished business. Marvel doesn’t have to play dumb and say it isn’t two parts.

Still think Captain/Stark could get the ax next movie. We still need a reunion of them which is highly anticipated. I could see one of them sacrificing themselves to save the other and give a satisfying conclusion to their story. Besides Peggy Carter’s relative, what else does Steve have left in his story to tell? Also Tony never had kids in the comics right? 

The only reason I would want everyone to survive infinity war is so they could incorporate the X-men into future story lines. A wolverine/Downey Jr scene would be golden. 

So much action and not enough context, but the Thanos/Gamora stuff kind of drags second time though. It’s like just hurry up and get back to the stuff we want to see.

Phase 4 could be very exciting. Black Panther 2, Guardians 3, and Spidey 2. More excited than I am for any new Star Wars movie.

While the ending of infinity war ended abruptly and wtf, it was done well and it was a good wtf that makes you think. It wasn’t the abrupt poorly done bullshit in The Last Jedi that killed Snoke with no context or care for his generic character or killing Luke Skywalker for appearing as a hologram? 

I feel like a year is way too long for part two. Yeah we got Ant Man and Captain Marvel until then, but Idk, not even Harry Potter was a full year between the two part finale.

God I wish Disney handled Star Wars like Marvel. They do in terms of marketing and milking, but Marvel quality is handled with care and doesn’t aim to piss off fans on purpose. 

RIP to Loki, I think he’s truly gone this time. 

Once again the women in this movie were badass in their own ways, physically and mentally. Caring and never giving up to protect the loved ones. Unlike the last Jedi where the girls only care about degrading the men and claiming their dominance on the galaxy and not caring about the first order. 

Thor should be part of Phase 4 and forever. Would like to see him rebuild his kingdom.

Dr Strange knew he had to give Thanos the stone. He has to keep Tony alive because he needed to exist in order to carry out something that will defeat Thanos in part 2. Which is why I believe Stark could be the one to go.

I wonder how far they will go back in time to reverse what happened. Like Gamora will she be back? With the new wave of sequels coming, the characters vanishing for those movies was sad but you know they will be back. 

5 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I think the non-dust deaths aren’t going to be reversed. 

I can't believe I made a whole post off of misreading your post I quoted. 

Anyways I don't think those deaths will be either. Well maybe Vision can be rebuilt somehow... but I don't know.

Edited by The Albraskan
I misread the post I quoted.

I wrote about it on letterboxd. Basically it was a mixed bag for me. The way I see it, there are two main issues. The first is that there are too many characters with too little time to spend on fleshing out their individual arcs. With screentime spread so thin, each character gets more or less a single sitcom episode length's worth of development over the course of the movie. Some characters are in it so little that it's kinda baffling, like Captain America, who has a huge status quo change between the last movie and this one, and we learn nothing substantial about his situation that we didn't know already. He's just a chess piece in this movie. The second issue is that it still feels relatively free of consequences, because we know all the character deaths in the finale are going to be reversed, because there's a stone that does just that, as well as the obvious fact of needing to make more Spider-Man movies. And because of the first issue I mentioned, there's not much of dramatic throughline for most characters, including most of the ones that die in the finale, which makes it lose dramatic weight. So it mostly feels like it just happens to shock the audience and not much else.

But it does stuff well that Marvel movies usually do. The characters are fun and stuff. Thanos is a good villain and basically saves the movie.

@ Wanda and Vision

I think she believes that destroying the stone destroys the version of Vision she loves.  I had no issue with her feeling that way.

@ Time stone, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, and the convo  about one outcome that can put Thanos down.

Dr. Strange is no fool, there is something behind his move to let Thanos get it that won't be realized till part 2.

@ Thanos, Gamora, and Nebula

I don't get why Gamora would mean more to him than Nebula and I don't get how he could have had that feeling based on that greeting scene when she was a kid.

@ dust deaths

No way they kill all of those people.... this has to have something tied into the Time Stone.  Also nearly all of the dust death characters have to live as quite a few have sequels in "current"/"future" time coming. 

@ Captain Marvel spoiler

Don't really know much about her but I bet her powers have to be tied into the dust death reversals.

@ Red Skull

That did catch me completely off guard but in reading up on him its not out of his canon.  I liked his appearance but it was interesting to see him there and basically saying he didn't have a soul to give to get the soul stone.

@ Peter Quill/Star Lord

Lost his mom to cancer, had to kill his dad, and now saw his new love interest get killed.... his motivations for revenge based on personal loss are really piling up.

@ strong points of the movie

The humor, the character pairings, the story, and the darker tone overall made this one pretty darn good in my book.

I would like to revisit an animated series that tackled this scenario with the Infinity Stones to recall how they played it out.

30 minutes ago, Young P said:

I wrote about it on letterboxd. Basically it was a mixed bag for me. The way I see it, there are two main issues. The first is that there are too many characters with too little time to spend on fleshing out their individual arcs. With screentime spread so thin, each character gets more or less a single sitcom episode length's worth of development over the course of the movie. Some characters are in it so little that it's kinda baffling, like Captain America, who has a huge status quo change between the last movie and this one, and we learn nothing substantial about his situation that we didn't know already. He's just a chess piece in this movie. The second issue is that it still feels relatively free of consequences, because we know all the character deaths in the finale are going to be reversed, because there's a stone that does just that, as well as the obvious fact of needing to make more Spider-Man movies. And because of the first issue I mentioned, there's not much of dramatic throughline for most characters, including most of the ones that die in the finale, which makes it lose dramatic weight. So it mostly feels like it just happens to shock the audience and not much else.

But it does stuff well that Marvel movies usually do. The characters are fun and stuff. Thanos is a good villain and basically saves the movie.

Not really with you on the character development angle as Iron Man had 3 movies, Thor had 3 movies, Black Panther had a movie, Doctor Strange had a movie, Spiderman had a movie, Captain America had 3 movies, Guardians of the Galaxy had 2 movies, and technically The Hulk had a movie.  And the step down characters like Vision, Scarlet Witch, Warmachine, Falcon, ect.... have had enough screen time across the MCU that they are developed fairly well.  They have been developed elsewhere and didn't need much more here  but I do agree that some of the scenes were kind of short and sweet and didn't play out as fully as they might have should to kind of make each one feel a little fuller.  Then again, that is kind of the price you pay to work into a movie that many heroes and villains.

1 minute ago, purple_beard said:

Not really with you on the character development angle as Iron Man had 3 movies, Thor had 3 movies, Black Panther had a movie, Doctor Strange had a movie, Spiderman had a movie, Captain America had 3 movies, Guardians of the Galaxy had 2 movies, and technically The Hulk had a movie.  And the step down characters like Vision, Scarlet Witch, Warmachine, Falcon, ect.... have had enough screen time across the MCU that they are developed fairly well.  They have been developed elsewhere and didn't need much more here  but I do agree that some of the scenes were kind of short and sweet and didn't play out as fully as they might have should to kind of make each one feel a little fuller.  Then again, that is kind of the price you pay to work into a movie that many heroes and villains.

We do know the characters quite well, so they've earned the ability to use shorthand at this point. But the fun of seeing these same characters in multiple movies is seeing them change and evolve each time, and if there's not enough space for them to meaningfully change in this movie, I just don't feel that satisfied with the experience overall. The first Avengers movie obviously didn't have nearly as many characters to juggle, but it delivered character development for each of the individual heroes as well as for the team collectively as they learn to work together, which was the dramatic through-line of the movie. Infinity War instead has like six loosely connected teams, all off on separate quests that branch off and merge with each other, and it feels like a hodgepodge. It doesn't even feel like an Avengers movie, because there isn't really an Avengers. I know the idea is that this is the dark penultimate chapter where the team is scattered and they're likely going to unify in the next one and it'll feel like a proper Avengers movie, but as an individual movie, this one suffers from that lack of unity. If there's no time for everyone to have a meaningful arc, I wish there was at least a sense of the Avengers as a group having an arc like they did in the first one. In this one, they're connected by the vague theme of sacrifice, which again, only works because of Thanos, the closest thing to a main character. And I'm not really sure how to feel about that yet because this is part 1 of a 2 part story.

22 minutes ago, Young P said:

We do know the characters quite well, so they've earned the ability to use shorthand at this point. But the fun of seeing these same characters in multiple movies is seeing them change and evolve each time, and if there's not enough space for them to meaningfully change in this movie, I just don't feel that satisfied with the experience overall. The first Avengers movie obviously didn't have nearly as many characters to juggle, but it delivered character development for each of the individual heroes as well as for the team collectively as they learn to work together, which was the dramatic through-line of the movie. Infinity War instead has like six loosely connected teams, all off on separate quests that branch off and merge with each other, and it feels like a hodgepodge. It doesn't even feel like an Avengers movie, because there isn't really an Avengers. I know the idea is that this is the dark penultimate chapter where the team is scattered and they're likely going to unify in the next one and it'll feel like a proper Avengers movie, but as an individual movie, this one suffers from that lack of unity. If there's no time for everyone to have a meaningful arc, I wish there was at least a sense of the Avengers as a group having an arc like they did in the first one. In this one, they're connected by the vague theme of sacrifice, which again, only works because of Thanos, the closest thing to a main character. And I'm not really sure how to feel about that yet because this is part 1 of a 2 part story.

I simultaneously get and don't get your argument.

What I would toss in though, is what makes any of the character movies versus the collective movies?  What I am getting at with that remark is that each "character" movie only really differentiates itself with the main characters supporting cast whereas The Avengers is basically the TEAM.  And even that caveat was broken with Civil War coming under the Captain America banner as it was a full ensemble.

With Marvel's nearly universal tone to these movies the only ones that had a totally different vibe was Winter Soldier, Antman, and GotG.  All the others felt relatively the same just swapping out characters and plots.

That said, Infinity War is kind of like Kill Bill V1 vs V2 .... you know its a 2 part story and the overall narrative is great and entertaining but when the parts get separated one feels better than the other.

I think I might hold off on character development arguments till they wrap up this complete story involving the Infinity Gauntlet.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

@ Wanda and Vision

I think she believes that destroying the stone destroys the version of Vision she loves.  I had no issue with her feeling that way.

@ Time stone, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, and the convo  about one outcome that can put Thanos down.

Dr. Strange is no fool, there is something behind his move to let Thanos get it that won't be realized till part 2.

@ Thanos, Gamora, and Nebula

I don't get why Gamora would mean more to him than Nebula and I don't get how he could have had that feeling based on that greeting scene when she was a kid.

@ dust deaths

No way they kill all of those people.... this has to have something tied into the Time Stone.  Also nearly all of the dust death characters have to live as quite a few have sequels in "current"/"future" time coming. 

@ Captain Marvel spoiler

Don't really know much about her but I bet her powers have to be tied into the dust death reversals.

@ Red Skull

That did catch me completely off guard but in reading up on him its not out of his canon.  I liked his appearance but it was interesting to see him there and basically saying he didn't have a soul to give to get the soul stone.

@ Peter Quill/Star Lord

Lost his mom to cancer, had to kill his dad, and now saw his new love interest get killed.... his motivations for revenge based on personal loss are really piling up.

@ strong points of the movie

The humor, the character pairings, the story, and the darker tone overall made this one pretty darn good in my book.

I would like to revisit an animated series that tackled this scenario with the Infinity Stones to recall how they played it out.

I STILL have more of a connection to the brothers and sisters than a robot and his lover because they had less time to establish their relationship. Never watched Civil War, so I don’t know where this romance came from. I never saw it in Age of Ultron. This romance feels one sided, because Witch is in love with someone who’s a ROBOT. And when presented the task to save the world, she’s too lovey dovey to give him up. He even tells her destroying the stone would stop Thanos, but she can’t accept losing him. I believe the other duos because I’ve spent more time understanding their tragic paths. Gamora and Nebula has to survive Thanos’ punishment, and they had that one scene in Galaxy 2 that was amazing, and Thor forgives Loki because they fought a worse evil and saved their people, even though Loki is no saint. Loki and Gamora unwillingly helping Thanos because they do not want to see their family die. I do not for a second believe Scarlett Witch x Vision. Plus, they don’t go through the same motions as those two. I just don’t understand the couple. You could have ANYONE in Scarlet Witch’s positions, even though for some reason, she’s the only one who can destroy the stone out of sheer plot convenience.  

You can't get rid of brotherly and sisterly love. You can however get rid of a relationship of a woman with a toaster. And to be honest, a Toaster would've done better against the bad guys. All Vision did was get powned and just hide. If it weren't for the stone on his forehead, he would just be... JARVIS. He was amazing in Ultron, but he does nothing here. HE'S A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.  

Edited by XLW

I guess a big thing I wasn't expecting from Infinity War was Thanos obtaining all the Infinity Stones by the end of the movie. I was expecting the soul stone to be something we wouldn't see until another heroes' movie or the 4th Avengers movie. But I guess it's better they have all the Infinity Stones in the one movie instead of taking two movies to find them all. I think the fact that people on the internet were trying to place the soul stone with an item from other MCU movies gave me the impression that the soul stone wouldn't be revealed until after the first part of Infinity War. Obviously that wasn't the case.

14 minutes ago, XLW said:

I STILL have more of a connection to the brothers and sisters than a robot and his lover because they had less time to establish their relationship. Never watched Civil War, so I don’t know where this romance came from. I never saw it in Age of Ultron. This romance feels one sided, because Witch is in love with someone who’s a ROBOT. And when presented the task to save the world, she’s too lovey dovey to give him up. He even tells her destroying the stone would stop Thanos, but she can’t accept losing him. I believe the other duos because I’ve spent more time understanding their tragic paths. Gamora and Nebula has to survive Thanos’ punishment, and they had that one scene in Galaxy 2 that was amazing, and Thor forgives Loki because they fought a worse evil and saved their people, even though Loki is no saint. Loki and Gamora unwillingly helping Thanos because they do not want to see their family die. I do not for a second believe Scarlett Witch x Vision. Plus, they don’t go through the same motions as those two. I just don’t understand the couple. You could have ANYONE in Scarlet Witch’s positions, even though for some reason, she’s the only one who can destroy the stone out of sheer plot convenience. 

I'd say watch Civil War to get a feel for the where and the why all these "teams" are split up.  It really drives the narrative.

I don't know what Vision really is....  not human for sure, but his composition of that stone, Jarvis, and body Ultron was creating that didn't full go through everything before being finalized seems like something else.  I would argue Wanda and him have an attraction for being outcasts.  In Civil War, their ties get shown to have strengthened.  But it appears that their allegiances split up and they end up on opposite sides of the fence based on the fallout from the Sokovia Accords.

I'd have to read back up on her story on Wiki but apparently her powers of manipulating matter and I believe she can also manipulate reality for some people she somehow has a special combination that could work on that particular stone.

Well at least the fact that the artifacts/objects the infinity stones were tied to do spell out Thanos like people were saying. Though nobody knew what the soul stone would be tied to.

T is the Tesseract 

H is (on Vision's) head 

A is the Aether 

N is Dr. Strange's necklace 

O is the Orb from GotG

S is Thanos sacrificing Gammora