Fire Emblem Cipher: Series 13

2 hours ago, Chrom said:

Store posters are out! As far as I can tell they don't show us anything new except for all-new Florina art that's different from the one that's already been seen, so this must mean she's getting at least one other new card.

It's probably her N card since the one that was shown during the stream looked to be an R. This art has the kind of cutesy, base, cost 1 look to it too. I actually really like it; I think I have a new N to collect.

De1Pw9TVQAAaYgc.pngDe1dghIV4AAfkpg.png

Two cards were revealed today, Leila followed by Matthew. This would be Leila's playable debut in the TCG (and in the series in general), while Matthew gets a cool signed card.

For Matthew in particular, he benefits from having Leila on the field since she grants him a unique buff and can freely trigger his first skill to take a second action. They make for a good team!

De6ZafyV4AAlbIr.png:small

Gharnef is finally in FE Cipher! His card faithfully recreates his unique abilities: Imhullu makes it so that he is basically invincible if he stations himself in the rear (though if foes are strong enough, they can break through), and he's able to have multiple copies of himself on the field (only up to four though, since he's still restricted as such), though if he does Imhullu doesn't work. On its own I don't feel the card isn't very impressive, but I suspect it may potentially prove its worth better with some others card. It's kind of hard to find much reason to want to play Gharnef to be honest.

De_jznJV4AASqvd.png:small

They showed off Laevatein today, who gets a signed card! I personally wondered if maybe she would've gotten an SR since she was one of last set's booster box promos (as far as I remember that was a good way to tell if someone was going to have one), but I guess this may settle it since I can't imagine she'd have one at this point if we've already seen her signed card. In the TCG she can deal heavy blows and ambush the enemy leader if they're cornered.

DfE0R5QU0AA16HS.png:small

New joined art of Pent and Louise are shown off! I like this pair more than the cards they had in Series 7, both aesthetically and mechanically. I especially like how their cards join where their hands meet and their children, Clarine and Klein, are in the background. They're designed to be played together and wouldn't want to be played on their own; Pent has card draw effects and Louise can help reposition allies to be in better spots on the field.

DfJ29aQVQAAp80B.png:small

Soon after Gharnef's reveal, the perfect card for taking him down arrives to the scene: Linde SR! Starlight grants her power strong enough to thwart Imhullu's magic at no cost, and if the player is in the bind, they can choose to replenish their hand using Linde's skill.

It's honestly a fairly basic beater card, but it's very pretty and seems like it would be nice to collect.

Oh I should also say that the Twitter also shared that Lyn's voice actress Makiko Ohmoto will be joining this month's livestream! I don't remember if she's new or not but she's definitely special.

The official starter deck card list which was updated today also confirms that we should expect additional cards for Wil, Lowen, Pent, and Louise which we've not seen in any form yet.

Pretty sure Lyn's VA is new. I don't recall her showing up previously at all, anyway, and I've been covering the streams for as long as Heroes has been a thing.

Lyn's VA is also one of the first instances where I really wish I understood Japanese so I could fully appreciate the discussion with her. I think it would be very interesting to see her take on VAing for a character that was created without any voice work and has since become such a popular icon for the franchise, even before she had a voice. I can't help but think there might be an additional, and interesting, burden in such a case, compared to voicing a completely new character. With Lyn, it's even more interesting, given how she flat out one the original CYL poll only for public opinion to kind of turn around on her given Heroes' milking her popularity for so many alts.

DfZRtaZU8AACGg-.png:small

For today, Karel has been formally shown off! He was seen a while ago for this set. He's able to freely prepare himself into a stance for a turn, then make a certain critical blow the next! I also recently remembered that Karla is supposed to be in this set as well, though Karel's cards don't seem to mention her anywhere.

DfecMkKU0AAVfBa.png:small

Fjorm SR is real! In fact we've only seen the SR+ because of the signature but I imagine the regular card may have the same art too. Gotta say I really love the way the illustrator drew her in both cards.

In the TCG, they translated Fjorm's Leiptr and Ice Mirror abilities from the mobile game into skills that let her destroy distant foes and get a power boost when there aren't any foes from far away.

DfjyyeHXUAETm0_.png:small

Karla is officially shown, both cards drawn by PenekoR! Like other Swordmaster characters, she's very adept at dealing critical hits, and that's still the case in FE Cipher too. By doing so, she allows herself to draw more cards of herself from the retreat to continue dishing out more, and whenever she deals any she can shatter two of the opponents orbs each time. She's definitely got an aggressive style.

They've also updated the product page for Series 13 to let us know of the booster box goodies. Looks like Lucina and male Corrin are the two preview promos for the next set, while we have reprints of existing promos of Marth and Chrom in here as well, now with a 3rd anniversary seal. Shadow Dragon and Heroes Book II are the two sleeve designs which can be included in the box too.

Dfovr2XUwAAK7rn.png:large

New cards for Lena as a Bishop! Well they're the same card technically but they're printed differently, mainly with the art. I think I prefer the + just for the Navarre and Julian cameo but they're both nice to me.

This Lena's heal function is very lean, so to speak; pay a small cost for a small gain, but that's not her main appeal and what you'd really play her for if you wanted to heal. She has an outstanding ability to essentially reset the opponent's deck by returning all of their retreat cards back into it. This creates an annoying disruption in certain deck strategies that rely on having specific cards in their retreat to pull from later with skills like healing in order to proceed with their game plan. Because FE Cipher lacks a 'search your deck' function, moving the opponent's cards from the retreat back to the deck is a valuable tactic to slow them down.

DfuHCEcUwAALefv.png:small

Last card of this week is an SR for Canas! At first sight, he might seem fairly average, but he has a skill which opens way for several opportunities to combo with other cards just because he allows the player to choose up to two of any tome cards of their choosing to the top of the deck. For example, you could choose two copies of Limstella and have two cards ready to support with which have a support value of 50 for an ultra offensive/defensive battle, or make use of cards with specific support skills that you may need at a specific time. It's not new to be able to send a card of one's choosing to the top of the deck, but Canas offers a lot more flexibility and control than others because he can send up to two cards and there's no restriction beyond the weapon type. Definitely a card for players if they know how to use him well.

I'll try to keep that in mind then. If I were to guess it sounds like a personal issue with loading Twitter, especially if it happens beyond here.

TVN6dpyl.jpg

We didn't get an official card reveal today for whatever reason, but Nintendo Dream shows us a new promo for Sharena for their next issue!

lZpjJPB_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edit: Just noticed there's also to be a Fjorm promo for Dengeki Nintendo. That should be both of them.

Edited by Chrom

nSgGknU.pngxCqoVF1.png

Official reveals for the aforementioned cards came early today! Sharena's done by 40hara who's done many cards before, while Fjorm was done by Natsuki Kamui, an artist who only rarely contributes. I like them both but I like Sharena's more personally. I should mention that the magazine that Sharena comes in, Nintendo Dream, also includes an interview with Mr. Kawade about FE Cipher's third anniversary. I hope that can get translated sometime.

uALXijK.png

But that was for yesterday. For today we get a look at Kiran, including an all-new card! I really like it since its art recreates the opening movie of FE Heroes, with all the other different characters.

DgCfntVVAAASQjC.png

Wow, they actually revealed another card for today, and it's an SR for Sharena! Love the art for it and all the other characters in it. Sharena's card has the unique ability to let all allies be deployed or leveled up/promoted without needing the bonds of the corresponding colors. This is what true friendship looks like!

DgCLlpnUwAEMnP3.png

I should also say that they uploaded the new tourney promos on the site, but the cards have a weird mark near the card number which I've never seen before. I wonder what it means?