Fire Emblem Cipher: Series 13

DdtHRO2UQAAqRWj.png:small

The stage is set and the action unfolds! The official Twitter has shown off the first three cards from the new set: Eliwood, Lyn and Hector!

Compared to their old base cards from Series 7, I think you could say these function a little more traditionally. Eliwood actually has skills this time and can pull foes closer for field control, Lyn can boost herself with a simple bond flip without having to rely on other specific cards, and Hector can stand better against foes who are above him in level. They're all given different styles of play to distinguish their identities.

Personally my favorite of these three is Eliwood, simply because I think it's the most effective compared to Lyn or Hector's abilities.

DdyTQ0NV0AAdJf0.png:small

Representing FE Shadow Dragon, Marth makes a return to FE Cipher after a long absence. True to his character, he rallies his fellow allies as they begin their journey, and is not one who values himself over others.

There's been a recent trend where you can see that they aren't putting the card numbers on the sample card images from Twitter anymore. It might be too early to say, but I'm guessing it may be because they want to keep daily reveals from possibly spoiling other potential cards. On one hand it means we have a little less to speculate about now, but it could also mean that moving forward card reveals can be that much more surprising.

And on a different note: I overlooked this initially, but a recent post from the official Twitter does explicitly say that this weekend's livestream will cover future featured titles, so new Series 14 info ought to be there.

Dd3b8JmUQAACD-W.png:small

For Series 13, characters from FE Heroes will be joining as well! According the the FE Cipher Twitter, the cards will indeed be themed after Book II and the conflict with Múspell, the Kingdom of Flame. Alfonse, Sharena, newcomer Fjorm, and more will be joining this set. Personally I really like Fjorm's card because her skill neatly recreates one of her base skills from the game, Holy Vestments.

A small note: Alfonse's illustrator is listed as a new person known as Nijihayashi, but I strongly believe this might actually just be Niji, an illustrator who's already been drawing FE Cipher cards (Micaiah SR, Tana SR/N, Sonya/Deen HN, etc.) but has his name written down differently here. Might be worth keeping in mind if I'm not wrong.

20 hours ago, Chrom said:

Dd3b8JmUQAACD-W.png:small

For Series 13, characters from FE Heroes will be joining as well! According the the FE Cipher Twitter, the cards will indeed be themed after Book II and the conflict with Múspell, the Kingdom of Flame. Alfonse, Sharena, newcomer Fjorm, and more will be joining this set. Personally I really like Fjorm's card because her skill neatly recreates one of her base skills from the game, Holy Vestments.

A small note: Alfonse's illustrator is listed as a new person known as Nijihayashi, but I strongly believe this might actually just be Niji, an illustrator who's already been drawing FE Cipher cards (Micaiah SR, Tana SR/N, Sonya/Deen HN, etc.) but has his name written down differently here. Might be worth keeping in mind if I'm not wrong.

I also had the same thoughts on "Niji". The style/colouration looks the same, and the Niji we're familiar with also spells their name with katakana.

3 hours ago, L'Arachel said:

I also had the same thoughts on "Niji". The style/colouration looks the same, and the Niji we're familiar with also spells their name with katakana.

The thing that seals the deal for me on the idea is that if you check Niji's Twitter profile, they have an about me page where they have written down that their name is Nijihayashi. This has me very convinced they're indeed the same person. I'm given the impression that Nijihayashi is actually their full name, but they usually go by just Niji.

It wouldn't really explain why Alfonse is being credited with Nijihayashi now, but this could shed some light on the topic assuming this is true. It really looks to me like they have two pen names that are used without any particular rhyme or reason, unless maybe there's a preference for Niji and Intelligent Systems made an error by going with the full name.

-

Dd8lzhiUQAAVUSE.png:small

Earlier today the Twitter revealed a new card for Ninian (joined by Eliwood). Even though we aren't given the card number, she's probably an R. She has quite a few functional differences from her Series 7 SR but in brief this one is more tuned for dancing and bond acceleration, whereas the old SR would be better played for her anti-stone ability and the extra power she gives out when she supports in late game. I personally like the new one better just because I think the different requirements she needs for dancing lets her fit in more nicely in a lot of decks that would appreciate a dancer than the other existing cost 3 dancers.

DeBuzbrU8AAQDlZ?format=png

It seems they're still following the same general pattern with card reveals, so this last new card of the week appears to be a new Lyn SR. Unique to characters from FE Blazing Sword is that they're bringing back X supports, which are a fun way to shake up how battles can play out.

Tomorrow's the livestream! At this point I have my doubts Series 14 will cover FE Switch but I have a good feeling they'll be doing something pretty neat with it regardless.

DeF1nrTU8AAfnh5.jpg:small

In the lead up to the livestream in a few more hours, the official Twitter has shared an all-new card illustration. It's a throwback to the original FE Shadow Dragon box art, with Marth and Caeda! I'm thinking it's probably for a promo card or something. Really cool that they finally referenced this relic.

The tweet that shared this artwork also mentions that they plan to have a special guest appear in the livestream (as in, someone other than the already announced ones), but it remains undisclosed who they are. Wonder who it could be...

Okay, so I actually have mixed feelings about the show. Largely positive but I am a little let down by one thing that they discussed and I want to throw that out there first.

After a long wait filled with speculation of what it could've been, I have to say I'm disappointed with the featured titles they chose for Series 14. I dislike that it's covering most of the same titles as the previously released set, particularly Awakening and Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. Not that there's a problem with this on its own, but out of all the possibilities, for them to go back to where they just were is pretty underwhelming. I get the feeling they only waited this long to reveal them so as to avoid the awkward situation where they would've had two upcoming sets with mostly the same featured titles and characters. Definitely a wise choice but I still find it strange for them to put themselves in that situation in the first place assuming that's true.

By comparison, Series 15 looks a lot more fresh and interesting since it's covering more varied titles (including an all-new one for the TCG, New Mystery of the Emblem), but this shouldn't come around until near the end of the year. We've also learned by extent that FE Switch shouldn't be covered in the TCG until Series 16 and 2019 at the earliest.

I thought it was funny how hard they were pushing the sexy angle with Loki and her art, I don't recall there being a time when they were talking about her without mentioning it. And I was shocked to see Kiran actually be made as a playable card, I didn't think they'd ever do it since they're such a non-character.

They realized my hopes of adding FE Heroes seasonal characters as promo cards with summer Robin and Tiki, which I love and I hope they continue in the future. I really want cards for Chrom's alts, especially bunny Chrom.

I also think it's cool that they added another new idea with the Blazing Blade starter deck, and that's having some cards in the deck appear in alternate artwork instead of just being printed the same as the booster edition. It gives the cards and the deck as a whole a little more extra value for collectors.

Also good to see they're back with the big anniversary event, the Summer Party. I'm curious to know what goods they'll have available there but that info shouldn't be up until later.

DeK9yKoVQAE9CeD.png:small

Here's a formal reveal of the new Eliwood SR that was shown off at the livestream, which goes together with the Lyn SR. He introduces an all-new type of skill called an Increase Skill. The gimmick of Increase Skills is to let you perform the skill again immediately should you choose to pay the given cost. Definitely an interesting idea.

DeWWe_LVMAEyPgp.png:large

Dorcas debuts in FE Cipher as a typical axe fighter, but he switches it up a bit by using the new Increase Skill to further aid his allies in battle. Not sure if I'd say it's a particularly standout ability with Dorcas's base support value (it'd be more amazing on someone like a flier who comes with 30 support), but it's interesting nonetheless because it still distinguishes him from other cards.

DebgdnpVMAAPTBS.png:small

Today Draug was introduced as the familiar armor knight whose sturdy defense goes unmatched.

His cost 1 is mildly interesting because it, plainly speaking, is just pure TCG power creep. He works exactly the same as the old cost 1 Draug from the first set but comes with an additional skill with nothing else to counterbalance this difference. There's no reason whatsoever to ever play the old cost 1 Draug over the new one in any situation because it's been rendered redundant now. You could still run both in the deck if you really wanted though at least.

The new cost 3 is kinda neat since is reminds me a bit of Armor Emblem skills in FE Heroes; if an armored ally defends anyone else in combat then they get a huge buff that will typically protect them from being defeated. It's interesting to see how this new Draug could enrich that kind of playstyle with armored characters.

19 hours ago, Chrom said:

The new cost 3 is kinda neat since is reminds me a bit of Armor Emblem skills in FE Heroes; if an armored ally defends anyone else in combat then they get a huge buff that will typically protect them from being defeated. It's interesting to see how this new Draug could enrich that kind of playstyle with armored characters.

inb4 Armor Emblem is the new meta in Cipher as well as FEH.

Degpnn2VMAEk7bV.png:small

They showed off Surtr today! Probably for the best but it looks like he isn't an SR like some other villains are. His abilities involve incinerating his enemies into nothing and veiling himself from being overwhelmed by weaker foes, but he can still be defeated by strong enough opponents. Overall it's a card that definitely suits him.

DemA91EV4AAENrk.png:small

Last reveal of the week shows off Serra who gets an SR! Her first card is a completely archetypal healer and nothing noteworthy, but when she promotes she can fix supports with cards from the hand and negate crits whenever the opponent fails with their own supports.

Store posters are out! As far as I can tell they don't show us anything new except for all-new Florina art that's different from the one that's already been seen, so this must mean she's getting at least one other new card.