Tatsumi Kimishima retiring as President of Nintendo

He was always meant to be an interim president because of Iwata passing away so suddenly, right? This is actually a point I almost forgot about until I read about it elsewhere. With that being said the new CEO seems like he'd be a pretty good fit and he's a gamer too so maybe he'll have that Iwata aesthetic about him.

So the new President is fluent in English.

Good to know, if he ever does any interviews in English.

I have to say for only being a temporary president, Kimishima sure is leaving the company on such a high upswing.

Also want to bring this NL article up since he’s also a gamer at heart, going al the way back to the Famicom days:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/04/i_grew_up_with_nintendo_and_will_respect_its_traditions_says_new_president_shuntaro_furukawa#comments

Edited by Fuzzer1
20 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

So the new President is fluent in English.

Good to know, if he ever does any interviews in English.

I have to say for only being a temporary president, Kimishima sure is leaving the company on such a high upswing.

Also want to bring this NL article up since he’s also a gamer at heart, going al the way back to the Famicom days:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/04/i_grew_up_with_nintendo_and_will_respect_its_traditions_says_new_president_shuntaro_furukawa#comments

Looking forward to seeing what comes of his appointment as time goes on but I'm liking the sound of things here.

Yeah, I forgot he was interim president. I think most forgot because he was making Nintendo relevant again so that's understandable. This Furukawa guys has some credits under him.

@Punchy: Know much about this guy, was he on your radar after the interim of Kimishima?

6 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I can't imagine Nintendo would make a decision like this lightly, especially when the company is currently the most successful it's been in years, so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what kinds of changes Furukawa brings.

Like with Kimishima we didn't really see the fruits of labor like until year and half he was president with all the restructuring in the company, that and Iwata last plan were still in motion up to that point. So I assume will be the same with Furuwaka, we won't see his action spring in the same time cause Kimishima plans are still in full swing. And this makes semse as big a company as this it takes time for things to be put into effect.

A lot of the issues with modern pokemon games comes down to gamefreak, not TPC. I still love my mons, but boy howdy does gamefreak make some awful design decisions (e.g. festival plaza... just everything about festival plaza). TPC is more concerned with marketing, branding, and integrating the three main drivers (i.e. games, anime, and TCG) into a coherent Pokemon franchise, and so I suspect his background is more in marketing than development proper.

Edited by KefkaFFVI