Question About New Nintendo 3DS XL Battery

Gotta quick question about a New Nintendo 3DS XL battery.  My current N3DSXL is a birthday gift I received back in August 2015.  It had been working pretty well up until about half a year ago or so, maybe a little more than that, when for some reason the battery in it started dipping way down in lasting performance.  Nowadays the system only lasts anywhere from 10, maybe 15 minutes or less before the little red light on the system starts appearing and flashing, then my system turns off.  It still works if it's plugged in to the wall with the charging adapter, but trying to play without it plugged in has become an issue ever since.  

I got a new battery for it from Nintendo that was shipped to me back in February, but I haven't installed it in the system yet.  Before I did, I wanted to ask, does playing with the system plugged in with the charging adapter cause the battery's overall lifespan to drain quicker over time?  I've used the system a lot in that way, especially if I'm using the system's internet browser for drawing references while I'm doing artwork.  Also, I usually tend to leave the N3DSXL plugged in to the charging adapter most of the time even if it's done charging the battery.  Does leaving it plugged in all the time even if the system is off and done charging the battery cause overall battery life to be depleted faster than if you leave it unplugged?  

Wondering if anyone has any answers to those questions.  Thanks for any advice!

All you need to do to maintain your battery is let it run down (but not to empty) at least once per month. As long as you do that you can leave it plugged in as much as you want. It's a good practice to maintain with all Li-ion batteries.

Edited by ace

I work at an electronic repair store and we usually advise people not to leave things plugged in past 100% regularly. Modern lithium batteries aren't supposed to really get negatively affected by that but my experience is the people who do leave their stuff plugged in when fully charged still tend to need batteries more often.

I usually tell people to try not to leave it on the charger for too long once a device hits 100% and to try to drain it down to at least below 20% but that's obviously not always pratical. 

On 04/25/18 at 7:43 PM, ace said:

All you need to do to maintain your battery is let it run down (but not to empty) at least once per month. As long as you do that you can leave it plugged in as much as you want. It's a good practice to maintain with all Li-ion batteries.

Hm, yeah I usually play until the red light starts to come on or starts flashing red.  Never heard about that method, thanks for the tip.

23 hours ago, Igneous42 said:

I work at an electronic repair store and we usually advise people not to leave things plugged in past 100% regularly. Modern lithium batteries aren't supposed to really get negatively affected by that but my experience is the people who do leave their stuff plugged in when fully charged still tend to need batteries more often.

I usually tell people to try not to leave it on the charger for too long once a device hits 100% and to try to drain it down to at least below 20% but that's obviously not always pratical. 

Guess I ought to start checking on my system once it finishes charging, and unplug it afterward.  As you said, it's not always practical especially if you go out somewhere or let it charge while you're sleeping, but if I'm doing it during the day than I'll try to start checking on it more.  Thanks for your expertise here.