Octopath Traveler discussion thread

FINALLY broke through my wall with Gareth/Therion C3.

I bounded around the net for tips.... and found a somewhat interesting video with how the guy was working his attacks/turns amongst all the foes on screen.  Basically,  try to set up Olberick for big time sword attacks once all his shields are down and try to set up the two small guys as broken/defeated before you start working down Gareth.  Poison, blinding dust, and shackle foe also help in wearing him down and you do kind of want to set up the poison and blinding dust before get gets to have his turn for attack.

Gonna do Haanit C3 the Ophilia C3 as my next two ports of call.  While doing this I plan to level up Primrose, Ophilia, and Tressa.

I was neglecting Octopath while I had so many indie eShop games to review but over the past week I've finished all chapter 3s as well as my main character H'aanit's full story. Now comes the question though of whether I should keep her in my party or mix things up. I'm so used to keeping her around but maybe I ought to try to even out everyone else's levels instead.

1 hour ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

So I bought the game a few weeks back, but just started playing the Prologue Demo. I know I could just go right into the game, but whatever. Chose Cyrus to start out with. So far it's a pretty fun game.

Cyrus's story is pretty cool I'll admit... and I like his powers set up. The lore of the world being brought up in his story is also kind of cool. The one thing that kind of irks me about him though is that his scrutinize sure can seem to piss a lot of people off when I wouldn't consider scrutinize as a term to be any more controversial than inquire by Alphin.

Welp, I finally got myself a Switch and I've been playing this for the past few days. This is really super cool. I started with Therion, then did the intro chapters for H'annit and Ophilia. I've heard the common complaint with this game is how segmented its story is and how the characters seldom interact with each other, but the pacing of the story is actually something I love. It's really easy to sit down for an hour with this game and do a single chapter, which is much more manageable for me right now than the hours upon hours no doubt required for something like Xenoblade 2. 

Aside: I love that that Ophilia's voice actress is also Shantae and Noel Vermillion, and Olberic is Ragna the Bloodedge and Hector. :D  

Edited by Laclipsey
35 minutes ago, Laclipsey said:

Welp, I finally got myself a Switch and I've been playing this for the past few days. This is really super cool. I started with Therion, then did the intro chapters for H'annit and Ophilia. I've heard the common complaint with this game is how segmented its story is and how the characters seldom interact with each other, but the pacing of the story is actually something I love. It's really easy to sit down for an hour with this game and do a single chapter, which is much more manageable for me right now than the hours upon hours no doubt required for something like Xenoblade 2. 

Aside: I love that that Ophilia's voice actress is also Shantae and Noel Vermillion, and Olberic is Ragna the Bloodedge and Hector. :D  

I agree, the chapter system is kind of perfect for the Switch, and I've always thought the complaint about the segmentation of the stories was totally overblown. Just because the story structure is different doesn't make it bad; the developers wanted to make these individual stories and they're still perfectly engaging and compelling this way.

3 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I agree, the chapter system is kind of perfect for the Switch, and I've always thought the complaint about the segmentation of the stories was totally overblown. Just because the story structure is different doesn't make it bad; the developers wanted to make these individual stories and they're still perfectly engaging and compelling this way.

Mm-hmm. It's a little like a DnD campaign. Everyone has their own reasons for joining up with a ragtag band of travelers and fighting some monsters. It doesn't pretend to be much deeper than that, and the fact that it so confidently owns up to its simplicity is pretty wholly what makes it so compelling for me. I went through Cyrus' intro chapter today and I'll probably go on to do one more before the end of today. Therion and Ophilia are my favorite characters so far. 

My one gripe so far is that there doesn't seem to be any sort of compendium for sidequests. Considering how common features like that are, I'm surprised not to find it here.

3 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

Mm-hmm. It's a little like a DnD campaign. Everyone has their own reasons for joining up with a ragtag band of travelers and fighting some monsters. It doesn't pretend to be much deeper than that, and the fact that it so confidently owns up to its simplicity is pretty wholly what makes it so compelling for me. I went through Cyrus' intro chapter today and I'll probably go on to do one more before the end of today. Therion and Ophilia are my favorite characters so far. 

My one gripe so far is that there doesn't seem to be any sort of compendium for sidequests. Considering how common features like that are, I'm surprised not to find it here.

In the menu your Journal does show what side quests you've encountered according to the region/town you found them. The downside is that there isn't much detail here, or any indication of whether or not you already have the item or information needed to complete the side quest. The way this is handled is definitely one of my small gripes with the game.

Finally completed the demo even though I already bought the game. I am very interested to see where it goes. I got past Ophelia defeating that first blue flame in the cave. I feel like this could be a pretty long game. 

I am a little confused with some of the side quests and how to really accomplish them as really there aren't hits to help you out outside of the quote. Also, when you lose your reputation in a town, is there anyway to get it back? I tried doing that thing with Cyrus with all of the towns people and unfortunately didn't get to finish with that.

2 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

I am a little confused with some of the side quests and how to really accomplish them as really there aren't hits to help you out outside of the quote. Also, when you lose your reputation in a town, is there anyway to get it back? I tried doing that thing with Cyrus with all of the towns people and unfortunately didn't get to finish with that.

Yes; to restore your reputation in a town go to the bar and select "restore reputation." You'll have to pay a fee which differs from town to town—generally it's not too expensive though, especially if you're using Therion to steal stuff and Tressa to earn more money in battles.

I'll also say that, for whatever reason, I always had terrible luck with Cyrus's scrutinize ability. Even with, say, a 70+% chance to succeed I feel like I failed more often than not. On the other hand Therion's steal ability was usually pretty effective for me and I'd gamble on things like a 55% chance and succeed. Go figure.

Dropped Ophilia for Olberic and and thusly put Olberic with Cleric 2nd job ( basically the reverse of Ophilia with Warrior) and finally beat Haanit Chapter 3's dragon.  I had hoped to beat it with the party I had but it just didn't work out after multiple tries.  I had to level up Olberic's Cleric powers so I could have all but the final power and I got passed the dragon.  Cool story.  Doing Primrose #3 now.

POST-GAME SPOILERS: 

I can't beat the TRUE FINAL BOSS, BECAUSE OF THOSE STUPID ATTACKS EACH LIMB AND WHATEVER DOES! I took at least 2 weeks to grind and get better weapons, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... Eventually, I realized that this thing was not worth it in the long haul because beating it seems SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO anticlimactic, so I'm playing MH Generations U. I spent at least 175 hours on this game

Beat the game, loved everything, with the exception of cheap enemy moves at times and maybe it's a nitpick, but I don't really like the clash of 2D sprites with 3D models. Worth the price, and the critics who gave this game a bad rep don't have a good mindset of how unique this storytelling is. 

Apparently the devs already have some ideas for a sequel (and considering how well the game sold I hope they get started right away) but one thing I thought would be a nice easter egg is, what if the sequel features new characters but you can allure/guide the original eight to use in battle? I imagine they'd be some of the best summons in the game!

I'm also glad to hear that they're not done with the Bravely series either. There are clearly some distinct similarities between the two franchises but I'd love to see a few more Bravely features used in more games (turning random encounters frequency up or down is just too useful, there were times I wished Octopath Traveler had it).

And what if the TRUE final boss didn’t drive you insane?! Heeeeeeeeewwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEeeeeseeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

yo! 

No, for reals. I hate it. All my obscene and random cursing at it would probably give it more fire. So, I give up unless there’s a totally easy way to cheese that boss! I’ve tried to look online for ideas, but I still get my butt kicked! I am done! 

1 hour ago, XLW said:

And what if the TRUE final boss didn’t drive you insane?! Heeeeeeeeewwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEeeeeseeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

yo! 

No, for reals. I hate it. All my obscene and random cursing at it would probably give it more fire. So, I give up unless there’s a totally easy way to cheese that boss! I’ve tried to look online for ideas, but I still get my butt kicked! I am done! 

Yeah, I've heard he's a m*rf*r

Obsidian Masse made for good leveling up potential with nearly 400-500+/- xp + 150-200 jp nearly every encounter thus making up level ground real easy and I thus worked up some of my underused characters about 2-3 levels at least.  FWIW, I did get to the boss the first time by "mistake" ( I didn't want to fight the boss, I was just xp/jp hunting but once the encounter happened I couldn't back out).and wore him down pretty good but couldn't finish him.  Basically, using the mansion I worked up a lot of xp levels and jp levels to earn lots of extra job slots and their associated skills for a lot of characters thus expanding the variety of tactics my characters can use to their fullest.  I should be taking down this boss tonight and then moving on to my next main story point.

The only mofo I ran into this tactic I was using was that at certain points I'd hit some sort of AI/enemy wall that basically, the run of attacks by the enemies wiped me out without me having a chance to get in any recovery attacks in to get my party members back.  I'll chalk it up to better strategy to be used by me the next time.