Octopath Traveler discussion thread

Tressa is my last member to join, doing her Chp 1 now. Cyrus' ability to identify a weakness at the start of a battle is pretty good, wonder if that's why so many chose to start w/ him so they could find out all weaknesses as enemies are encountered w/ some only being one time like bosses.

PRO TIP:

You don't necessarily need to fill out Job 1 skills to get 2nd job but you gotta look and explore to find those special cases.

FOLLOW UP TO THIS

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/guide_octopath_traveler_job_shrines_locations

Curse you Reputation:

I managed to walk to Olberick's chapter 2 by mistake of some sorts as I was wanting to go north to Ophilias...  and in the case of % success with path actions I had some that worked and some that didn't in the below 80s range.  I played my last card and lost, got a bad rep, and to restore my rep is $10K at the bar :o  Also locked me out of any other path actions for any other characters I had.

Experience and Gold in general:

Some shops seem like they got crazy price talk unless these are truly later in the game kind of weapons where your gold will be significantly higher based on earning more per fight.

I'm finding these recommended levels for areas are all within their suggested levels.  You might could play 1-2 notches below the recommended level but you need to have others in your party leveled up too, so they can take up some slack.  I find I'm having to upgrade lots of party members to have a overall balanced party level wise to take on areas that are in the +0-3 levels above my highest characters.  Anywhere that is "crazy" over is damn near impossible as the enemies take tons of life from you and you can't really amass that many healing options to combat the losses or you will never get to use offensive weapons.

I found a good leveling up spot as its earning  upper 60s - low 90s experience at every encounter.  Also dealing out about the same in Job Points.  Also the GOLD is pretty legit and it can be a quick exit out of the area to the town for a quick party change or night at the inn.

I've put Haanit and Therion closing in on L30 via this area and put nearly everyone else to mid-low 20s.  Alfin gets the odd man out because his tactics set doesn't really fit with the enemy types.  And to that end I am really wanting to level up Ophilia because of her healing powers and the rate she is tacking on SP for use of those kinds of tactics.

Edited by purple_beard

Completed my first Chapter 2 today, of the Therion story arc.  It was a good honey hole for coins, xp, and what not.

That boss though... I see the recommended level was 22.  I had to get to 2 32s with Haanit and Therion with Olberic and Ophilia around 26 and it took me on that final level count about 4 attempts to finish him off.  I'm fully willing to give strategy on my end the blame but damn... that fight took forever and honestly, I didn't see much else needed via other party members in that "level" because of what had to be done.

This has basically put Primrose, Alfin, Cyrus, and Tressa way behind on level count so I'm going to work on them for the next little bit with the chapters coming together on the western side of the map.

Finished up  Cyrus Chapter 2. 

All I'll say is play your cards right with the boss and you can beat him if you do.  Found him hard or overpowered the first 3x I faced him.  I was even doubting my party as I had done a switch up for leveling up purposes  and was missing some sword attacks and stronger physical attacks in general.  It helped to have a few characters with 2nd jobs active too.

Going to do Tressa's chapter two in the same spot.

I just did Therion's chapter 2 and yeah that was one of the tougher bosses so far. Thankfully I had Alfyn though for those strong concoction heals after those powerful group attacks.

I'm curious if people are choosing a second class for each character and just sticking with it or if you're switching them up? I unequip everyone's second class any time I swap out party members and then choose new ones based on the party composition I'm using at the time. Obviously it'd be excessive to try to max out every character in every class but I feel like the game offers enough room for experimentation that I don't feel like I really need to stick to one specific secondary class per character.

2 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I just did Therion's chapter 2 and yeah that was one of the tougher bosses so far. Thankfully I had Alfyn though for those strong concoction heals after those powerful group attacks.

I'm curious if people are choosing a second class for each character and just sticking with it or if you're switching them up? I unequip everyone's second class any time I swap out party members and then choose new ones based on the party composition I'm using at the time. Obviously it'd be excessive to try to max out every character in every class but I feel like the game offers enough room for experimentation that I don't feel like I really need to stick to one specific secondary class per character.

He whupped my arse 3x before I found my groove with him and the breaks and attacks.  I think my success came from leveling up the right mix of characters, getting the right alt jobs in tow and leveled up to have what I would most likely need, and playing a better game with the shield breaks and what not.

As to your 2nd job thought....

Once I found out you didn't have to max out job 1s to get job 2s turned on ....

But more specifically I went 2nd job hunting a little tonight....  I was all ready to do Primrose C2( I have done Therion, Cyrus, and Tressa already) and then I thought with Prim needing leveling up anyway that before I started her chapter 2 I'd go 2nd job hunting for anything within my level grasp.  I've gotten everything not tied to the extras in that regard, the area levels to access those are too high for me to be successful in attempting yet.

...so...

With jobs I had prior to this hunt and with what I have acquired tonight....

I kind of alternated leveling up jobs in the 2nd tier but for who I was already playing I had most of their skills already leveled up to where I was only judging on applying points to the final 3K or 5K spots versus knocking off some lower tier skills as part of the 2nd.

I don't think I'll do everyone to max level of all the possible alt jobs....

I do find need in 

Healing, mass healing, and SP boosting that do better than via the item level recoveries I see as a plus for any party.

I see the value in mass attacks of of the physical item and spell right now for determining weaknesses of opponents and doing mass shield kills.

*I have also ran into the need to have a good single enemy attack too.  I think once more enemy weaknesses get uncovered I might lean 60/40 on single versus group attacks.

In that vein, scholar has best overall allotment of spells. but doesn't offer dark, light, or wind. 

Warrior has your spear and sword covered but only the Apothecary has mas axe attack and huntress the mass arrow attacks.  I haven't ran into a mass dagger or staff attack yet.  That said, the thief offers some powerful single dagger attacks.

Cleric has the best overall healing and the strongest light spells but as far as healing goes she is better for mass heals,...Apothecary has best single person healing and offers SP recovery too.

Thought I post this here.

This put a teat in my eye because this nostalgia on nostalgia. It's one thing to make for example like Shovel Knight but a game like Octopath Traveler to blend the look of the past with modern aesthetics is taking retro fell to another leve.

This chiptune just brings that experience full circle and I can't help cry how beautiful the meetings, goddamit.

As of this post I have completed Haanit Chapter 2.

As of right now my pickings for missions are:

Alfin C2

Olberick C2

Tressa C3

Primrose C3

Ophilia C3

Cyrus C3

Therion C3

Hannit C3

I flirting with most levels needed for C3s.  Howver, I got to repair rep to finish up Olberick C2.  I'm still liking the interactive story plot points amongst members.  I really need to find somewhere to level up Cyrus though.  He's about 5 levels down from my others but I have gotten others to learn his spells.  I think Alfin's better at straight inquiry versus Cyrus's scrutinize.

Finished all the C2s earlier and starting my C3s with Tressa's seeing as it was right in the same spot I wrapped up my last C2 with Olberick.

I think I am struggling to work out who should be in my party and who and where I should level them up.  Obviously some need certain levels for their stories to be continued.

Could someone more familiar with the game answer this for me?

It sure looks like that if I wanted to sell off old gear I don't use or have surpassed its usefulness that in selling it off some party members in those screens sure do appear to lose stats for old, unequipped gear being sold off.  I've noticed improvements get highlighted blue but reductions are grayed out.  It would seem to me that if a character isn't using or having the gear equipped at all then no such reductions should be sowing in the sell off screen.

Finished up my first C3 with Tressa.  Man, that boss..... everything was arguably cool till I got to him.  He whupped my arse with Poison spells.  Took me about 4-5 to g tries to get passed him.  Got enough stuff to do individual poison heals, traveled the world, and maybe added like 2 level to each member.  I would say it would be advantageous to have Apothecary and Cleric healing abilities in tow.

Alfin/Apotchecary C3 is my next port of call.

I've finished all 2nd chapters and spent a little time just exploring the overworld and optional caves as well as leveling up slightly in preparation for the third chapters. One small quality of life improvement I'd like: show the danger level of each area on the world map that I've already "unlocked." It'd make it easier to quickly see whether I should try exploring an area or if it'd just be better to go somewhere else. Also show if I've completed the optional caves/ruins or not, again just to keep track of things more easily.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:58 PM, purple_beard said:

Could someone more familiar with the game answer this for me?

It sure looks like that if I wanted to sell off old gear I don't use or have surpassed its usefulness that in selling it off some party members in those screens sure do appear to lose stats for old, unequipped gear being sold off.  I've noticed improvements get highlighted blue but reductions are grayed out.  It would seem to me that if a character isn't using or having the gear equipped at all then no such reductions should be sowing in the sell off screen.

They're not losing stats, it's just showing that the gear is weaker than what they have on now, same as when you're buying items or equipping stuff.

12 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

They're not losing stats, it's just showing that the gear is weaker than what they have on now, same as when you're buying items or equipping stuff.

I get if I am changing out one for another stats would change but if the character doesn't' have the gear equipped at all why would the stat go down?  I'm selling off something they don't use.

25 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I get if I am changing out one for another stats would change but if the character doesn't' have the gear equipped at all why would the stat go down?  I'm selling off something they don't use.

Again, their stats are not going down. It's just showing that the item is inferior to what they currently have equipped. The gray numbers are showing what their stats would be if they equipped the item. Think of it as a reassurance that the item you're selling is indeed unnecessary and weaker than what you're currently using.

10 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/video_8_little_facts_about_octopath_traveler_that_you_might_not_know

Interesting.... and apparently the firs letter of the names of the characters spell out OCTOPATH.

Now, why wasn't this found out sooner?

Plus what came first the name of this game or the characters name? That is the real question I want answered.

41 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Now, why wasn't this found out sooner?

Plus what came first the name of this game or the characters name? That is the real question I want answered.

I would have never drawn the conclusion to the actual names but I had always figured that since they were offering 8 playable start points that was why they went with Octopath.  Granted Octopath seemed so odd of a name that IMO, either it was so odd and unique that it stuck OR they couldn't come up with something better and Octo/8 playable characters made the most marketing sense.

1 minute ago, purple_beard said:

I would have never drawn the conclusion to the actual names but I had always figured that since they were offering 8 playable start points that was why they went with Octopath.  Granted Octopath seemed so odd of a name that IMO, either it was so odd and unique that it stuck OR they couldn't come up with something better and Octo/8 playable characters made the most marketing sense.

For once SE game name has so actually meaning but to have more than one is like they hit the jackpot or something.

And you know what I wasn't even taken back by their name why I didn't see the connection with the characters, just was focused on 'eight characters' bit.

Oh also with Octopath sounding like octopus in Japanese, that seem kind of obvious to. Just to make the title relatable around the world Japanese developers name things that is the same in English. Like for example, Pikachu is spelled the same im English and in Japanese.

What a way to think ahead with this title SE, you did good, you did good.

Wrapped up Alfin C3

...Interesting.... about choosing who lives who dies and who is worth/not worth saving.  Kind of dark for him IMO.

Finished Olberick C3

...interesting turn of fates in his story line.... and what he has to do next....

Heading to Therion C3 since its basically in the same town.

Really like they keep the stories getting more intriguing amongst the party members.

I've really enjoyed these spelunking adventures inside of some of these caves and how they are laid out.

I am kind of getting the vibe about the lack of truly intriguing dungeon maps and cave diving layouts but IMO, the way you move around in the over world and the paths and hidden paths to work around to all the treasure chests in any given area are kind of more what would actually happen in real life.