Octopath Traveler discussion thread

This new video out about the game showing some stuff for two more characters and some other in-game "options" has me even more hyped than I was before.  Probably won't d o a PO unless there are some cool bonuses but.... this game keeps increasing its appeal to me every time they put something new out about it.

Edited by purple_beard
  • 4 weeks later...

Started that updated E3 demo today and got H'aanit  (the animal trainer) through to meeting Therion.  Aside from some issues with menu navigation I am kind of liking the expanded abilities possibilities.

I also literally lost track of time playing and looked up at the clock and was like damn, I need some supper.  I got to Therion at around 1:40 of game play roughly.  I was leveling up and buying gear for H'aanit though.  I think I'll have her at L10 pretty darn soon.  I really do like that capturing animals for use later mechanic to her but at the current state I have her in she can only hold so many wild animals.  I've also acquired enough  Job Points to add on two jobs to her and get her a few new skills.  I'm not sure if Treehouse or other game play demos over the course of E3 brought this up with her but in some cases, if you use Provoke and you lose the fight your rep will suffer in the town(s) with the townspeople per some in game menu stuff I ran into.  Luckily I beat the girl but she was pretty dangerous.

I can't wait for this game to arrive.

I didn't play till a time out in my 2nd demo 2nd game and I took in Ophillia's story.  Very interesting is all I will throw out.  I did manage to connect her to H'annit with 15m to spare.  The catch is, if you use a SAVE at a save spot you have to drop your starter file.   If you let the  game take on autosaving you can keep a 2nd file running and still have your main one.

Ophillia's frozen world has a very cool look and feel to it.  Her story is one part sad and one part hopeful.  I won't get into much more than that.  Out of all my character play throughs I felt I needed to level her up the most before her boss battle as she needed more magic techniques and arguably better armor before she would need the 3rd level of her staff to beat said boss and stave off attacks of enemies.  Her path action was pretty cool in terms of pulling in a partner to follow her and use some of their attacks in the battles as well.  I probably could have streamlined my playtime to get to H'annit with more time on the clock to do duals with her but I had already taken H'annit to Therion so I knew her deal well enough to not play much further.

I've gotten all the characters in the stories I have played to around L10 or so and learned at  2 new job skills for the character.

Starting up Cyrus now...

For those like me who didn't PO on time time to get the Wayfinder edition of this, it is back on stock on Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Octopath-Traveler-Wayfarers-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07BC326XK

Though, this is the us version, it still ships to Canada. I just went ahead get this here. Just have to see what the taxes will, I already see what the import will cost (which is not bad) but this will be worth it, just based how close we're to launch. I'd paying $90 dollars just for the game up here in Canada, so what's another $40. (which what I think it would cost to get this edition in Canada anyways)

I just got done playing Cyrus and leading into working with Tressa.   Interesting stories from both characters.  I feel like I am getting a sense of of how this overall story might progress in terms of plot points.  I like it.

After doing all these new characters to play as and how the final battle/experience/job/skills/ect... will work individually and via the team mechanic I like that while there are elemental spells, different characters get different spins on them and certain ones of the same elemental type seem to deal out better damage than others depending on the enemy.  The theif, the scholar, and the merchant skills to use on enemies in battle as well as their path actions and specific attributes from walking around really do kind of grab me.  I also liked the Animal Trainer's deal with capturing animals and using their talents as well.

I doubt I go back to Olberic and Primrose as I played and connected them in my first demo play from the last demo.  I'm kind of already familiar with how they will work but the one difference I might explore is what new stuff they get to use and do in this version of the demo.

I'm still under two hours for my playtime of the second demo, found my way to a second character. I only pre-ordered the Wayfarer's Edition two weeks ago I think at my gamestop after trading in 5 games worth $80+ w/ a prepaid credit card covering the rest of the cost. I just have to find a way over to the Gamestop on release cause I wanted to just have it shipped to my house but it would have been about $10 more(I had one game that I got a bonus $5 trade in credit but wouldn't get it if I had the game shipped and shipping was $5 as well) so I decided to pick up instead. This will only be my 5th retail game I will have, Smash and Tales of Vesperia will be next though I still haven't decided on if I want Pokémon Let's Go E/P at this time.

8 hours ago, Dancing Mog said:

I'm still under two hours for my playtime of the second demo, found my way to a second character. I only pre-ordered the Wayfarer's Edition two weeks ago I think at my gamestop after trading in 5 games worth $80+ w/ a prepaid credit card covering the rest of the cost. I just have to find a way over to the Gamestop on release cause I wanted to just have it shipped to my house but it would have been about $10 more(I had one game that I got a bonus $5 trade in credit but wouldn't get it if I had the game shipped and shipping was $5 as well) so I decided to pick up instead. This will only be my 5th retail game I will have, Smash and Tales of Vesperia will be next though I still haven't decided on if I want Pokémon Let's Go E/P at this time.

I like what I have seen of the game but to invest the extra money that deluxe edition considering its a brand new IP--I just couldn't get there.

You can kind of cheat the demo so to speak in that your "FIRST" file you complete/time out on is your main file.  The demo will let you choose new game and you can play all the rest of them  BUT you can't do a save station or it will force you to overwrite your first file.  If you play the auto saving game ( like when you transition areas or what not) you can do everything else just make sure you end before the time is up and you can see your game clock when you press X and look up at the status screen.  The only set I have yet to do is my first set of Olderick and and Primrose from demo #1.  

I liked the Apothecary's story that I played last night.  Pretty cool in his own deal with his friend and town.

I'm really stoked to play this game for real.

Went back through Olberick and Primorose again....  If I had of played my cards right I could have had enough time to possibly play some decent time as a 3 person party with the merchant girl.  As I have said earlier, in a lot of the character travels, cinema scenes, and other maters of their story(ies) I'm kind of seeing the connection between all of them and  some of the master plot.

Two things interest me right now though....  what is the deal on these cats with the hobo sticks and bags and why do I run into this kid named Kit all the time who got attacked?

8 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

I am going to have to try the demo out. 

I actually had the collector's edition in my cart ready for preorder but never went back to check out. It was taken out of the cart as they probably sold out. It saves me money though. It was like $100 but it did come with some cool stuff. 

3 hours ago, Dancing Mog said:

I rarely go for the edition above normal game price but I want to see good things come from this so that is why I am paying this much to show my support. This look could be good for a FFVI remake which fans have been waiting to get for too long.

On the CE version:

While I am digging everything about this game so far, for me to drop $100 on a CE is a little much to swallow when its a new IP.  Aside from not really wanting to drop that kind of chedda.

On the hook of the game:

I don't generally have much time to play RPGs/JRPGs because unless they have "the thing" I tire of them easy now and also, with my work scheduling and other things I like to do, I just don't have time time to play time intensive games like I used to.  The only thing breaking that wall for me is what this game is offering me.  I've even found all their starter stories very intriguing and the fact they will have to unite together to get done whatever needs done just hits home to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Good little video they put up today..

From others

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/hands_on_taking_the_path_less_traveled_in_octopath_traveler

IF anyone watches these, a few things pop up but honestly, never really thought about it much

1)  your first pick can't leave your party.

2) I swear it sounded like non party members don't also pick up level gains from enemy fights.

*I've seen enough party changing points where this might not end up being a BIG deal but that would make your main super high level while some members may end up being at half that character's power due to not being played as much.

**I did experience all their stories via "cheating" the demo so I can't say I will have a preference right now for a party alignment but I do like Olberik and Haanit right now as a main two, but each of the others with some of their path actions really do make for some interest choices at whatever points in the game they are called upon.

***I wonder if this ends up being like Secret of Mana in a certain way in that you might want to play everyone and have them learn everything to their fullest in case something happens that takes down a party member and their weapons.

Edited by purple_beard