Octopath Traveler discussion thread

Fairly informative.

Only thing I found that sucks is your characters have to be active in your party to earn experience.  It does sound like you do want to have everyone get some decent levelling up though...  like have all of them competent in what they can do in case you need them as a party player at any given time in harder areas. 

Review.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/47733/octopath-traveler-switch-review

Review.

Based on my demo play only...

I get where they are coming from with the opening chapter stuff and the lack of interactions amongst party members but the overall consensus over all reviews is this opens up about when you start transitioning from Chapter 2 stories to Chapter 3 stories.  I didn't find the combat to repetitive as far as leveling up going and I was kind of hampered by playing save file magic to experience other stories and thus couldn't save and had to work the auto save.  I am kind of surprised they haven't alluded to a larger story yet as from several character plots I played I see something  overarching in the works that is based on a grande scheme.

Edited by purple_beard

Got my Wayfarer's Edition of the game yesterday and I love the pop-up book art, though I wish it was easier to keep it propped open so I could just leave it on display.

ZMmH9DN.jpg?1

I started the game with H'aanit and aside from her goofy speech patterns (adding -n to every other word doesn't make the language sound old timey, Square Enix) she's been a pretty valuable main character. Her beast summons are deadly, especially since summoning Linde has no cost. Now I'm making my way south to pick up more characters on my way to Primrose, then I might double back to get the other characters in the north portion of the map before reaching Olberic.

This game is really beautiful. Or, it would be really beautiful if it wasn't physically painful to look at for more than five minutes.

Alf and his boyfriend are entertaining, but this is fucking miserable for a final product. Five minutes a half hour ago and my eyes are still in pain. People who thought the 3DS hurt should really sit down with Octopath Traveler.

Do we have a general idea of how long the game is and how the replay value holds up?  I think it looks fantastic but I find it hard to justify spending 60 bucks on a singleplayer game that I'm going to either play through once or last me only a few dozen hours.

I've played about 5 hours so far and it's been really fun. I started by picking the merchant girl and so far have picked up the knight and dancer. It's really pleasant.

Also in terms of length I've heard someone was 17 hours in and had not beaten chapter 2 of all the stories yet, so it's probably a hearty game. though you can just wait, there's no harm in that.

also @Destiny Hero what do you mean. The only visual issue I've really had was the lens flare in one part of the game. everything else has been pretty nice to me.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

Are you asking why it's painful to focus on small, distant, dim objects far away for long periods of time?

I guess that's a fair complaint. I didn't have an issue with it, though, at least for my last play session. Did you play on TV or on the switch screen?

1 hour ago, InXplotch said:

I guess that's a fair complaint. I didn't have an issue with it, though, at least for my last play session. Did you play on TV or on the switch screen?

I've tried both. Either way, the size 5 font is fucking brutal, along with how zoomed out everything is. The action only ever takes place in a tiny portion of the screen. It's as if the whole game was intentionally designed to see how small elements could be displayed. Having more pixels available doesn't mean you can fit more on the screen--it means it means that what appears will be more detailed. The visuals of Octopath Traveler take a lot of good design philosophies and drive them in the complete opposite direction of where they should be going.

18 hours ago, luca said:

Do we have a general idea of how long the game is and how the replay value holds up?  I think it looks fantastic but I find it hard to justify spending 60 bucks on a singleplayer game that I'm going to either play through once or last me only a few dozen hours.

Sounds like it's supposedly around 60 hours which is average/high-average for an RPG. I'm about 13 hours in and just finished recruiting all eight characters and I definitely feel like I've gotten my money's worth so far.

And I guess I can see how the visuals might be hard to look at for some since it's such a distinct style with a lot of contrasts (sharp pixel design, blurry light/shadow bloom, etc.) but personally I've been fine with it so far. The text isn't too small for me, though that definitely is a problem in a lot of modern games—developers really ought to make it a standard option to increase text size 'cause I'm going cross-eyed trying to read some of the stuff in AAA games that try to pack a ton of text on screen or those that use tiny subtitles.

Anyway, I really like the variety of characters the game has, though it's kind of funny how some have such serious storylines like getting revenge and some are literally just heading out to see the world. Maybe those stories will get more serious as the game goes on but on the other hand the contrast is kind of nice; not everything has to be a Shakespearean quest.

6 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

I've tried both. Either way, the size 5 font is fucking brutal, along with how zoomed out everything is. The action only ever takes place in a tiny portion of the screen. It's as if the whole game was intentionally designed to see how small elements could be displayed. Having more pixels available doesn't mean you can fit more on the screen--it means it means that what appears will be more detailed. The visuals of Octopath Traveler take a lot of good design philosophies and drive them in the complete opposite direction of where they should be going.

I shouldn't laugh at this but I wear glasses and without them my world is blurry as fuck and I've been wearing glasses since I was 4. It took me all but a second for my eyes to adjust to the above post. I guess it's another thing to look at the above for how many minutes tho.

I'm no optometrist but....maybe you should get your eyes looked at. Just like 3D and mostly anything viewed in this similar format ppl will have trouble seeing or get headaches but maybe in the above instance this must rare thing. Sorry the game looks pains you, tho.

2 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I shouldn't laugh at this but I wear glasses and without them my world is blurry as fuck and I've been wearing glasses since I was 4. It took me all but a second for my eyes to adjust to the above post. I guess it's another thing to look at the above for how many minutes tho.

I'm no optometrist but....maybe you should get your eyes looked at. Just like 3D and mostly anything viewed in this similar format ppl will have trouble seeing or get headaches but maybe in the above instance this must rare thing. Sorry the game looks pains you, tho.

Octopath is the only game that's ever hurt my eyes.

I let my hopes get up when I read in a developer interview that the graphic designers had resolved to make the game easier to look at. But I guess that was all talk.

I did the same initial order but went north so I'd end on Olberic:

H'aanit (main)

Therion

Alfyn

Primrose

Ophilia

Cyrus

Tressa

Olberic

I've been swapping people around regularly since I want to play through all storylines, so I'm trying to keep everyone at roughly equal levels (except for H'aanit, whom I can't move since she's my main character). Within towns I always make sure to have all four path actions represented though.

It's annoying when you are forced to fight in higher level areas when you get a new character which means you have to protect them most of all. Current party is Therion(main), Ophelia, Olberic and Primrose. It's very helpful to have two members that can recruit extra backup, probably going after H'aanit next since she can capture monsters which will bring possible attackers in a battle to 7(have a villager I think that bolsters my defenses, too helpful when enemies can almost one shot you when you are low level). Still staying away from anything that can spoil my enjoyment, I want this to last a while since my next RPG is DQXI in Sept(about a month and a half to release). Might switch out Olberic for Alfyn so I can get hidden items and other info to make sure I have the best equipment.

6 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I did the same initial order but went north so I'd end on Olberic:

H'aanit (main)

Therion

Alfyn

Primrose

Ophilia

Cyrus

Tressa

Olberic

I've been swapping people around regularly since I want to play through all storylines, so I'm trying to keep everyone at roughly equal levels (except for H'aanit, whom I can't move since she's my main character). Within towns I always make sure to have all four path actions represented though.

Based on my "cheating" of the demo I wanted to end with olberic then Cyrus and then lastly Ophelia.  Mainly because of how I saw stuff kind of piecing together initially.

I'm low 20s with first 4 and mid/upper teens with others right now.  My next heading is to get Ophelia and then plotting out how best to tackle chapter 2s.

I'm exploring all the books and crannies as I go for chests and have found quite a few upper level caves I bet will come into play later.  Just not high enough on levels to work with those.  All my battling is allowing me to earn lots of job points and most of team is at, near, over  the 1k level for those skills. My first two party members are < 1k away from their 3k level.  I've gone attacking stuff first because most healing I need is covered by item values but now I am working healing and buffing tactics.

My remaining team members to get are Cyrus, Tressa and H'aanit though I don't know the order I want to go(I've visited all the initial towns so I can warp to any of them if needed). Some of the bosses were more annoying than in the demo even w/ the added members. One thing I want to see if anyone knows is what some of the status symbols mean cause there are attacks that hit my characters to hinder them but it's hard for me to tell what it shows.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/guide_octopath_traveler_beginners_faq_-_best_character_breaks_and_boosts_and_path_actions_explained

Pretty good intro/breakdown.

I got Ophilia to complete my 8.

But in looking at recommended levels for chapter 2 tasks per their spots on the map I think my strategy I had thought I was going to do will be amended.

Interesting video.

Edited by purple_beard