[PSA] Switch firmware 5.0 + 3rd party docks = bricked system? |⚠️UPDT: Be cautious of all 3rd party USB-C accessories!⚠️

Shortly after firmware 5.0 was released an increased number of people that had been using 3rd party Switch docks were reporting that their Switch had been bricked. While I manly though this was caused by the Nyko portable dock, which we already knew could brick your Switch (the reason why I didn't post this then), Nintendo has come out and said there may indeed be an issue with firmware 5.0 and 3rd party docks. They are aware of this and are looking into the issue (seems to be related to how the Switch outputs AV to an external TV/monitor). As for the Nyko dock, Nyko has been aware of the issue and is still addressing it after the 5.0 firmware update.

*If you are using a 3rd party dock, STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY!

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to [PSA] Switch firmware 5.0 + 3rd party docks = bricked system?

Wow I was actually planning on picking a 3rd party dock at Bestbuy. It was the insignia one that's 40 bucks. Only  because my Nyko thin case on my Switch, that is supposed to be dock compatible, won't properly fit, or the system won't stay docked as it rises up from the dock due to the layer of the thin case. Was hoping the 3rd party dock would solve it since it's lower, but I will wait to see if this gets resolved. 

• Chrom featured this topic

Looks like we have to be cautious of 3rd party battery packs/AC adapters as well. Also, it seems someone may have found the reason behind why people's Switchs are being bricked...

Basically, the Switch doesn't comply with USB-C standards Link: https://gonintendo.com/stories/305725-the-reason-behind-the-switch-being-bricked-by-some-third-party-do

Wow! I'd hope Nintendo would fix this in a system revision (maybe when we get the "NEW" Switch). Still, kinda makes wonder if they did this to push their overpriced dock and other future accessories (doubt it)? Though, aren't there standards that any company has to meat to release electronics? ...And you'd think being compliant with USB standards of any type would be one of them. 

Well, if you plug something into your Switch's USB-C port and it isn't officially licensed, then you're risking bricking your Switch. :(

6 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Looks like we have to be cautious of 3rd party battery packs/AC adapters as well. Also, it seems someone may have found the reason behind why people's Switchs are being bricked...

Basically, the Switch doesn't comply with USB-C standards Link: https://gonintendo.com/stories/305725-the-reason-behind-the-switch-being-bricked-by-some-third-party-do

Wow! I'd hope Nintendo would fix this in a system revision (maybe when we get the "NEW" Switch). Still, kinda makes wonder if they did this to push their overpriced dock and other future accessories (doubt it)? Though, aren't there standards that any company has to meat to release electronics? ...And you'd think being compliant with USB standards of any type would be one of them. 

Well, if you plug something into your Switch's USB-C port and it isn't officially licensed, then you're risking bricking your Switch. :(

That's horrible!

If it is the case that they want people to buy their stuff... they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot. People sometimes get the off brand stuff since the name brand stuff costs too much.

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's horrible!

If it is the case that they want people to buy their stuff... they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot. People sometimes get the off brand stuff since the name brand stuff costs too much.

I think it's mainly do to the fact that when Nintendo was developing the Switch USB-C was still very new and there wasn't set standards yet.

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to [PSA] Switch firmware 5.0 + 3rd party docks = bricked system? |⚠️UPDT: Be cautious of all 3rd party USB-C accessories!⚠️
4 hours ago, avalonknight said:

Why would Nintendo use USB-C if the standards weren't set yet? That doesn't make any sense.

Not sure. Though, I would guess it would be, because it would cheaper than making a proprietary port, since they needed an all-in-one port that could charge the system and output AV.

Edited by alienboyva

I think I remember in the early days of USB-C, there would be some third party USB-C cables that would brick phones as well, because they might have been originally micro USB cables that was swapped with USB-C to save cost while jumping into the game as early as possible. Makes me wonder if this is related, even though this was so long ago.