Dungeons & Dragons

Surge135

I've never actually played DnD but I do like to listen to podcasts about it, like Penny Arcade's ongoing adventures, Harmontown/HarmonQuest, and most recently Not Another DnD Podcast. I also listened to Nerd Poker for a while but fell out of the habit, and I've never gotten into Critical Role. I guess I mostly just like listening to comedians/comedy writers riff about ridiculous fantasy scenarios. :P

I played a brief campaign with a couple friends in high school. It was pretty fun, though I barely knew what I was doing, and we had a pretty loose, casual playstyle. Mostly it was a pretense to go to a friend's house and hang out. Best part was coming up with our characters in the beginning, which was actually a fun creative challenge. Someday I want to play again; the problem is the time commitment, as well as finding the right people to play with, of course.

8 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I've never actually played DnD but I do like to listen to podcasts about it, like Penny Arcade's ongoing adventures, Harmontown/HarmonQuest, and most recently Not Another DnD Podcast. I also listened to Nerd Poker for a while but fell out of the habit, and I've never gotten into Critical Role. I guess I mostly just like listening to comedians/comedy writers riff about ridiculous fantasy scenarios. :P

Do you still listen to Harmontown? Their original campaign could be surprisingly compelling when the story had a chance to play out. The current iteration suffers a bit from only continuing like every third episode, and the dynamic between the cast doesn't work as well for me. (The trade-off being that Spencer is a bigger part of the show proper now, so I can't complain too much about DnD)

9 hours ago, Young P said:

Do you still listen to Harmontown? Their original campaign could be surprisingly compelling when the story had a chance to play out. The current iteration suffers a bit from only continuing like every third episode, and the dynamic between the cast doesn't work as well for me. (The trade-off being that Spencer is a bigger part of the show proper now, so I can't complain too much about DnD)

I do, and yeah the current campaign hasn't reached the highs of the original. Their Shadowrun campaign was pretty uneven as well. Maybe they just captured lightning in a bottle with that original campaign, 'cause even then they had a pretty inconsistent play schedule. And as ridiculous as Erin could be at times at least she brought a more lively energy than Steve.

13 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I do, and yeah the current campaign hasn't reached the highs of the original. Their Shadowrun campaign was pretty uneven as well. Maybe they just captured lightning in a bottle with that original campaign, 'cause even then they had a pretty inconsistent play schedule. And as ridiculous as Erin could be at times at least she brought a more lively energy than Steve.

Yeah, with the absence of Erin/Kumail/Curtis/guest of the week in DnD, there's definitely a lack of energy compared to before. I haven't seen Harmonquest aside from one or two episodes but that probably feels closer to the original campaign in that sense.

50 minutes ago, ace said:

I highly recommend The Adventure Zone. The balance campaign was brilliant and you guys should all listen to it. The McElroys are great and TAZ is no exception.  

I started listening to TAZ last summer and I think I stopped either during or after the Petals to the Metal arc. It's a great podcast, I need to get back to it at some point. I've heard there are some truly great story turns later in the series.

I was a casual McElroy fan before listening, but post-TAZ, I just wish Clint was part of everything they did. He might be even funnier than the boys.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 12:37 AM, ace said:

I highly recommend The Adventure Zone. The balance campaign was brilliant and you guys should all listen to it. The McElroys are great and TAZ is no exception.  

I started listening to The Adventure Zone; finished the first bit of their archives with the "Here There be Gerblins" episodes. I'm liking it so far; only problem is I don't know their voices well enough yet and I lose track of who's who.