Paper Mario(series/inspired) vs. SMRPG

Are there any contractual hang ups keeping a true SMRPG game coming back to the market?

I loved SMRPG and I was totally in for Paper Mario and Super Paper Mario ( my trek with the PMTTYD left me feeling, after playing those other two first, like I had already played this game before in a lot of respects) but I wonder why Nintendo keeps churning out Paper Mario spin offs and never really going back to the style and setup of SMRPG.

I think it's just Nintendo and Square coming back together to do it is the holdup. Square has the rights to those characters in the game that aren't Mario characters right? 

I never beat RPG, but got pretty far into it and I can see why people think it's the best. Paper Mario had a very similar combat system, minus the three-four team members. I have very good memories of Paper Mario and my friend sleeping over and us staying up to get farther and beat it. It really was an adventure. While I don't have those great memories with TTYD, I still consider TTYD to be one of the best Mario games. 

After that, I don't know why they kept experimenting with Paper Mario and never really returned to its roots. Maybe they figured no one would want to see an RPG on a main console anymore? But that couldn't be further from the truth.

With this sort of thing I would imagine it comes down to a simple matter of money. I.E., it's more profitable for Nintendo to simply develop their own RPGs with Mario (Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi) than to work with Square again. I would like to see a continuation of Super Mario RPG though, or at the very least see a PM/M&L game with more than just two characters in the party that has more classic RPG elements.

Square only has rights to the unique characters, maybe even the models, from SMRPG. Nothing is stopping Nintendo from un-Paperizing Mario and co. and have them set off on a turn-based, class-based, 3-team RPG together.

I've always thought that it was not so much legal terms holding Nintendo back from a SMRPG follow-up, but incredible fan pressure to live up to the original game.  SMRPG is so beloved that releasing a sequel to that and having it bomb would really hurt the original game's legacy, plus it's a risky thing to do.  I would like to see a sequel to SMRPG but I don't think one can theoretically be made; Nintendo caught lightning in a bottle with the original and the stars lined up perfectly, with Square and Shimomura both at their prime.  It was the magnum opus of RPGs. 

I think Nintendo should make a new RPG with Mario that is independent of M&L and Paper Mario, and independent of SMRPG as well.  There's no reason to make a sequel when they can't even use most of the assets of the original game without Square, and Squeenix has since become a shadow of its former self.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:14 PM, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

I've always thought that it was not so much legal terms holding Nintendo back from a SMRPG follow-up, but incredible fan pressure to live up to the original game.  SMRPG is so beloved that releasing a sequel to that and having it bomb would really hurt the original game's legacy, plus it's a risky thing to do.

That didn't stop them from making a bunch of Paper Mario games after TTYD