Atari back in the hardware game?

Seems an odd combo to bet things on.  On the one hand, classic retro games and on the other a hub of apps that allows it to do more but like you said there are other options that provide the same thing and probably have more clout with gamers, let alone the general public.

Wait and see, I suppose.

I guess they're trying to capitalize on the current "official emulator box" trend, but Atari shit is just too old for it to be meaningful in any way.
Even NES games are in the "forget about after a week" territory for regular people, although that was really the point where the best games on the console began to hold up over time.
I remember getting an Atari TV-game thing (10 Atari games in what just looked like the old controller but could be hooked up to the TV) back in the day. It was my first experience with anything older than the NES. You can have fun trying to score attack Asteroids or something, but most of it is a curiosity at best.

• 2 months later...

Back to beat this dead horse, it actually got more than its usual goal. It just launched pre-orders on Indigogo. I might get it for the 100 classic games, whatever they might be (I think I only recognized Centipede.) Plus, they're putting new games onto it, there'll be online, and there might be 3D. There's some sales until 6/4, so that's cool. No one expected it to do so well, but we were WRONG. 

Edited by XLW