What should the next Mario Kart entry ADD?

For a frame of reference:

MK64 added Mirror Mode

MKDS added non-kart vehicles

MKDD added double racers /vehicles

MKWii added Bikes, Mii racers

MK7 added flying/gliding and custom kart parts

MK8 added anti gravity tracks, DLC, 200cc engine class, tournaments, custom Mii racing suits

FTR, I would not consider new racers adds.

My thoughts on MKIX / MK9 adds:

200cc mirror, why not?

Introduce alt colors/skins for racers ( think Smash Bros).

Going the NEXT STEP in Kart customization:

-- change colors of your set up: alter the colors of you kart, tires, rims, glider, whatever.....

--I loved all the faux racing parts company logos shown around MK8 so  I think those kinds of stickers coming back as place-able decals on your kart somewhere would be great.

New power-ups are a must, as well as the elimination of the coin feature.  It's okay for some games, but I don't want it becoming a permanent staple.  Maybe there could be a Cappy power-up where racers become different players/course hazards as they race.  I feel like the series has done almost everything, but I would also love to see more of an emphasis on Mini-Turbos, or perhaps a new way of doing them.

I wouldn't mind seeing experimentation with new modes. Perhaps one where the items aren't random, where you always get the same thing from particular boxes but the more powerful are placed way out of the way. Could be a fun way to get more out of the course and add a more strategic angle to it.

I'd also like to see the return of Specials.

I like the idea of being able to customize karts in the way you described them, personalize things a bit more.

Maybe more interactive track elements?  Weather elements that could affect environments in different ways like rainstorms creating puddles, mud pits depending on the track's environment, wind storms that can generate mini cyclones that travel across the track and stuff like that.  Maybe even "disaster" effects like earthquakes that can affect the terrain from lap to lap, tsunami that could transform the tracks as well or a meteor strike that completely changes the layout of an area of the course.  Something that could make racing on tracks a different experience from lap to lap in some way.  Of course, options to turn off all those hazards too if need be.

If they would a New Donk City track, I would light up. It could be my number 1 track, pushing away Music Park.  

And, of course, they would have to add: 

WARIO STADIUM FROM 64. 

IT'S THE ONLY STAGE FROM THAT GAME THEY HAVEN'T REMADE ONCE YET.  

It's possible they could do the MK8 route and do re-remakes, but... WHERE HAS THAT ONE BEEN?! 

ALSO, PLEASE MORE SUPER CIRCUIT AND SUPER MARIO KART LOVE! LESS RESTRICTIONS= BETTER POSSIBILITIES FOR THOSE TRACKS! LOOK AT RIBBON ROAD AND CHEESE LAND!

Edited by XLW

Down for weather effects and terrian changes.

--use p-switch padds that if you drove over.....

I could go for a return of specials.

If that power up weapon thing came to be--grab the same weapon in a row and have it upgarde like sonic all stars or diddy kong racing?

hmmmmm new power ups.....

i've always thought of these....

fire ring wave like the sumo bros from smw.

warts's gas bubbles...  they'd roll like a bowling ball and when they got you you would tmporarily float.

rocky wrench wrenches?

--go straight out but aerial instead of ground based like koopa shells.

hammer bros hammers?

--have a arcing trajectory and the longer you press the button the higher and farther they go.

1 hour ago, Kezay said:

Maybe more interactive track elements?  Weather elements that could affect environments in different ways like rainstorms creating puddles, mud pits depending on the track's environment, wind storms that can generate mini cyclones that travel across the track and stuff like that.  Maybe even "disaster" effects like earthquakes that can affect the terrain from lap to lap, tsunami that could transform the tracks as well or a meteor strike that completely changes the layout of an area of the course.  Something that could make racing on tracks a different experience from lap to lap in some way.  Of course, options to turn off all those hazards too if need be.

Mario Kart: Super Circuit did something similar with Luigi Circuit, which had rain and puddles.  I think it would be neat if weather was a variable element that could or could not be present during each race, adding a variant of luck for all racers.

Just now, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

Mario Kart: Super Circuit did something similar with Luigi Circuit, which had rain and puddles.  I think it would be neat if weather was a variable element that could or could not be present during each race, adding a variant of luck for all racers.

rain, fog ,snow, wind, sand storms....

maybe lightning storms where it could be possible to get struck randomly by a bolt!

Another thing that would be nice is if there were some way to allow racers far behind to catch up to the leaders, but not to penalize the leaders for being in the lead.  The Bullet Bill power-up is one of my absolute favorite items in this regard.  I think a balance that Mario Kart sometimes has trouble striking is being accessible and forgiving while also encouraging skill and deft racing.  (But again, racing in first the entire 3 laps just to get triple-blue-shelled at the finish line may just be part of the game.)

I would think Mario Kart has a bunch of new material to work with in terms of levels with Mario Odyssey. Can even incorporate (tracks) stuff from Mario Tennis Aces and future Mario games on the Switch. 

I would like to have some Paper Mario themed levels. Maybe turn the racers into paper models and have it affect what they race on. 

I'm down for more personal customization with the karts and what the characters are wearing. 

Thought about a double dash sequel, but that's if they can't think of anything else. 

9 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

I would think Mario Kart has a bunch of new material to work with in terms of levels with Mario Odyssey. Can even incorporate (tracks) stuff from Mario Tennis Aces and future Mario games on the Switch. 

I would like to have some Paper Mario themed levels. Maybe turn the racers into paper models and have it affect what they race on. 

I'm down for more personal customization with the karts and what the characters are wearing. 

Thought about a double dash sequel, but that's if they can't think of anything else. 

I've been down for more spin-off tracks as well. Rogueport and the first area of BeanBean Kingdom... Star Road or whatever.

Personally, I think the ship has sailed on MKDD aspects coming back.

--That said, I would not mind a coop MKDD like mode coming to the next game.  I think the only thing holding it back would be developing double racer vehicles, as if its not the whole game, you would have to have single and double racer kart variations.

IMO, there is NO REASON for the next game's battle mode to NOT have: Coin Runners, Bob-Omb Blast, Shine Thief, normal balloon battle, and I am FOR the return of the Cops and Robbers set up from MK8.

--Team and 1v1 should be options.

-- I feel like there is also some "new mode" out there to add but I can't think of one right now.

A more personalized experience is what I'm hoping for in Mario Kart 9 following Super Mario Odyssey. I would like to see part benchmarks removed in favor of buying parts at a store and have the coin limit of 10 completely removed but have the speed boost effect be capped. To assist in gaining coins, I think it would be cool to see red coins and blue coins added for bonus 2 and 5 coin rewards respectively. Going the route of those coins could help speed recovery after a Bob-omb or blue shell. This store would also include track specific emblems and stickers for kart customization as well as adding in racer costumes such as a Cat Peach, Pink Gold Peach and any of her outfits from Odyssey. They could really go all out and I think the personal experience would really help separate the next entry from MK8 Deluxe without trying to force a new twist to one up anti-gravity.

Edited by IU
45 minutes ago, IU said:

A more personalized experience is what I'm hoping for in Mario Kart 9 following Super Mario Odyssey. I would like to see part benchmarks removed in favor of buying parts at a store and have the coin limit of 10 completely removed but have the speed boost effect be capped. To assist in gaining coins, I think it would be cool to see red coins and blue coins added for bonus 2 and 5 coin rewards respectively. Going the route of those coins could help speed recovery after a Bob-omb or blue shell. This store would also include track specific emblems and stickers for kart customization as well as adding in racer costumes such as a Cat Peach, Pink Gold Peach and any of her outfits from Odyssey. They could really go all out and I think the personal experience would really help separate the next entry from MK8 Deluxe without trying to force a new twist to one up anti-gravity.

I like a lot of that idea....  

I think you should be able to earn as many coins as you can but your speed cap boost stays at 10.

I like the idea of buying parts, but the only drawback I see to that is some parts have better stats than others so if all of them were made available at the beginning people would hold out till they had tons of coins to buy the better parts so to speak and not get anything else.

Did you ever play Beetle Adventure Racing?  I ask because, in a given track, you had to collect these special boxes (?) of differing values and if you got all 100% of them for the track you unlocked something special.  Maybe that red and blue coin challenge could be applied to finding them hidden in the track or something along those lines.

A few more things I thought of...

Platinum/Diamond Cups

1st place in the cup gets you gold  but if you get 1st place in each race as well, you get a special cup signifying that not only were you first but you were undefeated.  I always liked that part of Mickey's Speedway (N64).

More shortcuts-- it seems like newer games don't offer the shortcuts like the older games did.  I mean, yeah, a mushroom can allow you to cut across a corner faster to save some time for distance but I mean TRUE shortcuts:  cave in Koopa Beach (MK64), in the city section of Mushroom City ( MKDD),  ramp offshoot in Ghost House 1 (SMK),  some areas in those WuHu Island tracks (MK7)--one was going inside that castle, the other was that cave off to the side in the cliff face ......

-- Maybe even tie in destructible environments where if you had the right item you can blow that rock or whatever out of the way to clear access to that new hidden path.  Not sure how I would factor in opponents taking in what you opened up though. of if you would have to open it up each lap.

Make the "ALL GOLD" set up mean something again.  I mean, in MKDD, the Gold Kart was THE BEST KART in the game.  Yeah, your personal driving style might not have made it work for you specifically but it was the best.  In the later games, the Gold kart parts seem to very hard to obtain but once you get them, stats wise they aren't better and in most cases worse than other parts you can use.

Edited by purple_beard

I've said this in similar threads in the past but I'd like to see the return of the Mission Mode that was in Mario Kart DS but expanded even more and maybe even throw in some cooperative play.  I don't know if we should ever expect to see a Mario Kart with a "story mode" like we saw with Diddy Kong Racing but something like an expanded Mission Mode to give a bit more meat to the game would be nice and could be used as a way to unlock more upgrade parts or whatever other goodies they toss into the game.

5 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I've said this in similar threads in the past but I'd like to see the return of the Mission Mode that was in Mario Kart DS but expanded even more and maybe even throw in some cooperative play.  I don't know if we should ever expect to see a Mario Kart with a "story mode" like we saw with Diddy Kong Racing but something like an expanded Mission Mode to give a bit more meat to the game would be nice and could be used as a way to unlock more upgrade parts or whatever other goodies they toss into the game.

I am one who gets why people liked that mode, but I never did.  I also get what there was to like about DKR's story mode, drive around the world map and access new worlds and courses and fight a boss race.

I liked the execution of Time Trial un-lockables from MKWii, it actually gave me a reason to race TTs.

2 minutes ago, IU said:

I haven't played Beetle Adventure Racing, but it does sound like it delivers something I would like out of Mario Kart 9. I want races to be more rewarding than unlocking new cups and inching closer to a part benchmark.

A lets play for you.

Tracks got insanely intricate.

This guy should be working through getting those special boxes, that in the game unlocked quite a few things from NEW battle arenas to cheats.  Cheats gave you all kinds of cool stuff like racing on X, Y, or Z axis forms of your Beetles.