Should Mario Odyssey get a Sequel?

This game is huge, so if we never got a sequel, I would be totally fine. But I was just thinking about the future of Mario and where they can go from here. Obviously Mario doesn't have to release anything else this generation and we would be fine. But I was thinking maybe a new game with some new worlds, some familiar ones kinda like Galaxy 2. Or would you rather see a new Galaxy, Sunshine, 3D World entry? 

Personally all I really want from Mario for the rest of the Switch's lifespan is for a good Mario game and a Paper Mario game that returns to the series' roots. I can do without an Odyssey 2, but wouldn't mind it.

it's going to be really hard to top what Odyssey did. It's a really solid game in the series, and even my favorite. Unless there's an evil Cappy or whatever, I don't know what might come next. Odyssey pulled off an amazing feat with Breath of The Wild, that creating possibly better games in those games could be impossible. That's my current dilemma with Kirby Star Allies being my second favorite behind Robobot. 

This is a really good question and I've honestly been wondering the same thing.  Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Odyssey are comparable in that they both have a "helper" character that drastically affects gameplay: Luma in SMG and Cappy in SMO. 

I was very surprised that SMG got a sequel but that was because Shigeru Miyamoto couldn't incorporate all of his ideas into one game, which was probably because the SMG series was a fully-fleshed realization of the sphere-gameplay from Mario 128.  However, Miyamoto was less involved in SMO than SMG while Koizumi had an expanded role.  Though I would be carefully open to the idea, I do not suspect that SMO will get a direct sequel.  This is because the premise for SMO is so circumstantial and the "capture" mechanic would seem overplayed unless they had all new abilities and ways to use them. 

Personally, while I do not want a direct SMO sequel, I do want a new sandbox Mario game like SMO.  SMO did things for the Mario series that were huge steps in the right direction, like a vocal score; huge open world gameplay; and involved, unique, and fun game mechanics.  I would love a Super Mario Sunshine sequel, especially on 3DS, but I feel like so much time has passed that the prospect has become unrealistic.  So while I do hope we get another Mario platformer this generation (the Switch isn't going anywhere anytime soon), I don't think it will be a direct sequel.  Further, Mario's next new game doesn't necessarily need to be theme-based, which I feel has been a real focus from Sunshine onward.

I would like to see a Super Mario Odyssey sequel with brand new kingdoms, reimagined kingdoms, a returning "new" villain and power-ups instead of Cappy's capture. If Odyssey has a sequel, my hope is that it breaks down the barrier between the main series and the RPGs. I've been thinking about the Shroobs making a comeback ever since Super Mario Galaxy and they offer so much potential as villains that they shouldn't be left only in Partners in Time. They could kidnap Peach, Pauline, Rosalina, Bowser, the Koopalings, Luigi, Captain Toad, Cappy...I would love for that to lead to the potential of alternate endings. Just give me more than Princess Peach to go on an odyssey for because I hated how she treated Mario in the game and personally don't feel like "saving" her again.

On 3/22/2018 at 1:18 AM, IU said:

Just give me more than Princess Peach to go on an odyssey for because I hated how she treated Mario in the game and personally don't feel like "saving" her again.

Yeah, that really pissed me off too.  Mario just saved Peach and she decided to get bitchy.  It was extremely out-of-character. (Though, to be fair, it was probably Nintendo's answer to the over-the-top, indignant, and fatuous new-wave feminist response to the character.)

Untitled.thumb.jpg.3abbb473bfbeafcbe5d5840abc5c4214.jpg

The vocal music here was also a poor choice, unlike Pauline's number.  They should have been playing  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czYLCzhJztU

Edited by The Ultimate Mario Fan