Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch Discussion

GX has 3 good videos out on some topics:

With what definitely looked like BotW Link I wonder if we get alt costumes OR in the case of Link, normal Link is gone and is replaced by BotW Link.

With the hiding of Mario, do we get a Cappy enabled Mario?

I'd still like to have the 3DS stages come over to the Switch version.

I think there are all kinds of good choices for retro stages from Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl.

I'm going to just start here:

Characters via Nintendo itself:

Inklings

ARMS character...

Ice Climbers have to be in just because of no technical limitations...

There will be 1 new Pokemon character....

______________ ?

Characters on the 3rd party front:

No way Sonic doesn't return.

I see no reason Mega Man and Ryu don't return.

I see no reason Pac Man doesn't return .....

...do we get Mrs. Pac Man alt skin or her by herself?

Cloud?

Bayonetta has no reason not to return.

Snake make a comeback?

Bomberman?

--SBR did  very well and Konami is interested in it again.

Simon Belmont/Castlevania?

--Cv anime...  same Konami factor as above....

Banjo?

--I mean M$ is loving the Minecraft runs on Switch... maybe a deal can be had to get him in the game.

Crash?

--Peer on IGN mentioned that after we got that Crash trilogy....  I think he'd fit in with the roster...

Reposting from the other thread:

Take it or leave it:

Fighters:

*Everyone from Melee and Brawl who got cut from Sm4sh (Ivysaur and Squirtle lose the stamina gimmick and get their own Down-B moves)

*Rex

*Travis Touchdown

*FE Switch Lord

*Gen 8 Pokemon with a major role in the anime

*Ribbon Girl

*Balloon Fighter

*A couple of new third-party Ballot winners

Assists:

*Ninten

*Elma (playable if X gets a port)

*Azura

*Itsuki Aoi (playable if Hashtag Effie gets a port)

*Mòrag with Brighid

*Any agent of S.T.E.A.M.

*One of the Champions from BotW

Stage bosses:

*Ultra Necrozma

*Bana with Giga Rosa

*One of the evil Mirages from Hashtag Effie

*Great Shugguth

*Jasper Batt Jr.

*One of the Blight Ganons

My post-trailer character guestimates

Spoiler

Veterans (45): Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Fox, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Jigglypuff, Ness, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Marth, Falco, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Wario, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Charizard, Lucario, Ike, Lucas, Olimar, ROB, Sonic, Bowser Jr, Rosalina, Little Mac, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Corrin, Bayonetta, Mii Fighters, Ryu*, Cloud*

Newcomers (8): Inklings, Spring Man, Celica (to replace Robin as the dual Sword/Magic FE rep), Lyn (to replace Lucina), Incineroar (to replace Greninja), Rex (to replace Shulk), Gen-8 Pokemon*, FE Switch protagonist*

* denotes DLC

Edited by Surge135
3 minutes ago, Surge135 said:

My post-trailer character guestimates

Hide contents

Veterans (45): Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Fox, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Jigglypuff, Ness, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Marth, Falco, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Wario, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Charizard, Lucario, Ike, Lucas, Olimar, ROB, Sonic, Bowser Jr, Rosalina, Little Mac, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Corrin, Bayonetta, Mii Fighters, Ryu*, Cloud*

Newcomers (8): Inklings, Spring Man, Celica (to replace Robin as the dual Sword/Magic FE rep), Lyn (to replace Lucina), Incineroar (to replace Greninja), Rex (to replace Shulk), Gen-8 Pokemon*, FE Switch protagonist*

* denotes DLC

You think Greninja gets dropped?

You think Shulk gets dropped?

I'm not sure what Cappy would enable in Mario's moveset other than "throw Cappy, hurt opponent".  I'm not sure the "capture" ability could be properly implemented.

It's cool to see Champion Link in there, although I'm not sure how it will affect he moveset.  Hope he has a Tunic of the Wild alt costume, at least.  (Personally, I wasn't super invested in them adding Champion Link; I would have been OK if they stuck with TP Link, or hell even OoT Link.)  I do wonder what they'll do with Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf, since the latter two don't have BotW designs.

My top 10, I guess...I'm treating Ice Climbers as gimmes:
Super Mario - Captain Toad
Donkey Kong - King K. Rool (Dixie Kong is also acceptable, but K. Rool would be more fun)
Balloon Fighter - Balloon Fighter
Castlevania - Simon Belmont
ARMS - Ribbon Girl (or Min-Min)

Golden Sun - Isaac
Advance Wars - Sami
Sin & Punishment - Saki
Xenoblade - Rex & Pyra/Mythra (I'm not sure how this would work exactly)
Pokemon - Decidueye (I guess)

BONUS:
Ridley/Dark Samus/Sylux - I have given up on Metroid getting another rep, especially Ridley, but if it happens, that is cool.
Black Shadow - I don't really think F-Zero needs another rep but if Sakurai wants to dump Ganondorf's old moveset on to Black Shadow so that it still exists and he can feel more comfortable revamping Ganondorf entirely, do that.
Impa - Impa is the only real new Zelda character I think makes sense (since Vaati is dead and gone).  She's kinda weird though, since her only appearance in the Zelda series where she does much is in a spinoff game.  I don't really want any BotW Champions because none of them really outshine any of the others to a significant degree.
Celica - I would not be entirely offended by Celica replacing Robin.

OTHER:
Keep the superclones (Dr. Mario, Lucina, Dark Pit).  They probably took all of 3 seconds to make anyway, so removing them would be silly.  I like Dr. Mario and Dark Pit more than Mario and Pit anyway.  I don't know why.

14 minutes ago, Surge135 said:

Yes, and yes. Gotta make way for some newcomers without inflating the roster to well over 60 or 70.

This is why I wanted a Smash 4 Deluxe port before Smash 5, but here we are.

Keep Shulk though, that's crazy talk.

Edited by Cryptic
53 minutes ago, Surge135 said:

Yes, and yes. Gotta make way for some newcomers without inflating the roster to well over 60 or 70.

I'll take the over on 60 Smash characters overall for the next entry.

I don't think Greninja gets dumped though ....they add one new Pokemon.  Especially if Lucario stayed and the put in Mewtwo.

I can't see them dumping Shulk for another one from the same game....but I admit I am not up on that series characters.

Roster cuts as I see it:

Lucina gets the axe as she is just a female Marth.

Dr. Mario did nothing for me.

Does Pokemon Trainer return and thus "one" slot for a multi choice

Personally, I liked Duck Hunt, with a few refinements he can be better..... but I could see the axe falling.

Personally, I think Nes and Lucas can burn in hell :D  I hate playing them and I hate losing to them.

Dark Pit moves to Pit Alt Color.... which sucks...cause while I know they are basically the same, my DP play is always better than regular Pit.

Palutena  might get the axe but I like her, if they rework her move set.

Edited by purple_beard
26 minutes ago, Surge135 said:

Crazy talk, maybe. But considering we lost fan favorite Mewtwo in Brawl and he only came back to Smash 4 thanks to DLC, I'm not gonna say Shulk is 100% safe when we have a new Xenoblade protag.

I still found it hard to believe  he was a paid DLC character ....Roy too.  Especially when both had no stages tied to them AND they were legacy characters from Melee.

As said in the direct thread, my expectations is that Smash for Switch is a sequel in the same way Splatoon 2 is a sequel--different enough to be marketed as a sequel but for all practical purposes that Wii U game but on Switch. By extension, I wholly expect the Smash 4 engine still be in use (there's literally no point building a new one), so I reckon all characters from Smash 4 are safe barring things like licensing issues. 

As for actual character predictions: Inklings obviously, Rex (or Xeno 2 rep otherwise), maybe an ARMS character, Ice Climbers, and a couple of attention-grabbing characters. By attention-grabbing, I mean someone they can show at E3 and maybe close to launch that get everyone talking about the game: think Cloud-tier announcements. 

Edited by KefkaFFVI
20 minutes ago, KefkaFFVI said:

. By attention-grabbing, I mean someone they can show at E3 and maybe close to launch that get everyone talking about the game: think Cloud-tier announcements. 

Who would be in Cloud's tier though?

I mean THE STAR, of THE GAME, that took away your lead in the video game industry post SNES!  Not too many characters have that kind of leverage.

IMO, there are only two possibles out there.... Banjo and Kazooie but only based on the Rare tie in to Nintendo at that time could this even be possible.  Crash Bandicoot would be another as he was basically a PS1 mascot character akin to Mario and Nintendo.

Now, if you follow my train of thought, I had proposed Bonk as a excellent choice.  He was the mascot character of  the TG16.  A move set based off of his moves would definitely be unique in Smash.  I mean, no one uses head butts as their chief tactic.  Also, you could throw in that rage mode.  And if they got slick, you would have something from his Air Zonk alternate personality.

It goes without saying, I want all of the limitations imposed by the simultaneous release on the 3DS lifted, and that includes bringing back the Ice Climbers and Transformations.

I want Zelda to be able to transform into Sheik again, Samus into her Zero Suit, Charizard  to be able to switch to Squirtle, etc. I know they have Down-B moves, I don't care. Replace their less interesting ones, or make their Transformations one of their taunts. Hell, Pokemon Trainer could come back (with his new Sun and Moon look even) and you could assign the other two Pokemon to the left and right taunts so you can switch to who you want immediately.

As for my more outlandish hopes? Got my fingers crossed for a new adventure mode.

Y'all motherfuckers are crazy, I learned my lesson after shitposting on that utter hellscape the Smash boards for over a decade.  Expecting anything specific out of these games is pointless because Sakurai/Japan in general operate on different expectations than the reclusive forumgoers.  Just enjoy the ride and take what you can get. y;

I think the most important part for me is the music. 

2014 has been a long time for more games, more music. 

Anything in the new Kirby game coming up. 

A medley of BOTW music, since most of it is atmospheric.

The Acting God- Praetor Amathus from Xenoblade 2

After Despair And Hope from Xenoblade 2 

Ancient Poni Path from Pokemon Sun and Moon 

Andross's Trap from Star Fox 0 

Aqua Road from Sonic Forces 

Awakening from Xenoblade 2 

Battle Royal Dome from Pokemon Sun and Moon 

Battle with the Spirit of Self from Kirby Planet Robobot 

Battle! Elite Four from Pokemon Sun and Moon 

Battle!

Team Rocket Rainbow Boss Giovanni

from Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon

Battle! Team Skull Boss Guzma from Pokemon Sun and Moon

Battle! Wild Pokemon from Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon

Battle!! from Xenoblade 2

Beanbean Kingdom from M&L: Superstar Saga 

Boss Battle from M&L: Superstar Saga 

Bountiful Star from Kirby Planet Robobot 

Bowser Battle 1 from Super Mario Odyssey 

Bowser's Castle 2 from Super Mario Odyssey 

Bowser's Minions Bossanova from Bowser's Minions 

Break Free (Lead The Way) from Super Mario Odyssey 

Bringer of Chaos! Ultimate (Zeke Battle) from Xenoblade 2 

Cap Kingdom (Bonneton) from Super Mario Odyssey 

Cascade Kingdom (8-Bit) from Super Mario Odyssey 

Clashing Blades from Xenoblade 2 

Climatic Duel! from Super Mario Odyssey 

Company! from Kirby Planet Robobot 

Counterattack from Xenoblade 2 

Danger on the Dance Floor from Sonic Mania 

Drifting Soul from Xenoblade 2 

Eggman Boss Theme 1 from Sonic Mania 

Exploration from Xenoblade 2  

Festival Plaza (Night) 

Final Boss Phase 1 (Bowser and Paper Bowser) from M&L: Paper Jam 

Final Boss Theme from Sonic Mania 

Fist Bump from Sonic Forces 

Fossil Falls- Dinosaur (Cascade Kingdom) from Super Mario Odyssey 

Gormott and its night version from Xenoblade 2 

Haltmann Works Company HQ from Kirby Planet Robobot 

Hard Boiled Heavies Mischief from Sonic Mania 

Hau'Oli City (Day) from Pokemon Sun and Moon 

Heart of Steel from Kirby Planet Robobot

Incoming! from Xenoblade 2 

Island Festival from Pokemon UltraSun and Pokemon UltraMoon

Jump Up, Superstar! from Super Mario Odyssey  

Lobby from Splatoon

Lovely Yellow Va-Va-Vrooms from Kirby Planet Robobot 

Madame Broode Battle from Super Mario Odyssey 

Mahalo Trail from Pokemon Sun and Moon 

Mirage Saloon Zone Act 2 from Sonic Mania 

Mixed-Up Scramble from M&L: Paper Jam 

Monster Surprised You from Xenoblade 2

Monumental Crisis from Star Fox 0

Mor Ardain and its night version from Xenoblade 2 

Mount Volbono- Town (Luncheon Kingdom) from Super Mario Odyssey 

New Donk City songs/medley from Super Mario Odyssey 

Oho Oasis from M&L: Superstar Saga 

Ophion from Xenoblade 2

P-R-O-G-R-A-M from Kirby Planet Robobot 

Pikachu Valley from Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon

Po Town from Pokemon Sun and Moon 

Pokemon League from Pokemon Sun and Moon 

Press Garden Zone Act 2 from Sonic Mania

Puyo Puyo- Chemical Plant Zone Boss

from Sonic Mania

Race from Super Mario Odyssey

Re_ Green Greens from Kirby Planet Robobot 

Route 1 from Pokemon Sun and Moon 

Route 4 from Pokemon Sun and Moon

Run, Jump, Throw! Medley from Super Mario Odyssey 

Sector Omega from Star Fox 0 

Shiveria- Town (Snow Kingdom) from Super Mario Odyssey 

Soul 0 System

from Kirby Planet Robobot 

Splattack! from Splatoon  

Squid Sisters Songs Medley from Splatoon 

Star Wolf from Star Fox 0 

Still, Move Forward! from Xenoblade 2 

Studiopolis Zone Act 1 from Sonic Mania

Theme of the Hard-Boiled Heavies from Sonic Mania 

Titanic Monarch Zone

from Sonic Mania 

Toad Hunt from M&L: Paper Jam 

Tostarena- Jaxi from Super Mario Odyssey 

True Final Boss Theme

from Sonic Mania

Ultra Space from Pokemon Sun and Moon

Vast Poni Canyon from Pokemon Sun and Moon

Venom from Star Fox 0

Venturing into the Mechanised World from Kirby Planet Robobot

Verdant Cavern from Pokemon Sun and Moon  

Steam Gardens (Wooded Kingdom) from Super Mario Odyssey 

You Will Recall Our Names from Xenoblade 2 

More to come later! Just a little... sleepy.

Edited by XLW
9 hours ago, Surge135 said:

Crazy talk, maybe. But considering we lost fan favorite Mewtwo in Brawl and he only came back to Smash 4 thanks to DLC, I'm not gonna say Shulk is 100% safe when we have a new Xenoblade protag.

If I had to "predict" which characters would be cut, I would go with:
Mii Fighters (because fuck them.  They're three non-characters who are a waste of time.)
Bowser Jr.
Mewtwo (farewell, sweet prince)
Little Mac (my understanding is that Japan was meh on his inclusion / didn't even know who he was)

Wii Fit Trainer (I don't know what the future of this series is.  I don't know if Nintendo would come out with a fitness game for Switch, or what, since at the moment Wii peripherals aren't compatible with Switch.)
Roy (Another fave of mine.  Honestly it's hard for me to cut any of the FE characters because, based on the heroes ballot, they are all pretty popular.  Ike, Roy, and Lucina all won the first year ballot.  irrc Marth would have been higher on the first-year and top 2 in the second-year ballot if they combined his FE1 and FE3 votes.  As far as Robin and Corrin, they are less popular, but have more unique movesets and are newer.)

This doesn't include potential third-party cuts, or cutting clones because I think that is not worth it anyway.  Also, I want all of these characters to return, except Mii Fighters.  I also don't care if custom moves return, so if those are cut so 1 actual character can live, great, do that.  The only character who would suffer is Palutena.

@Purple_beard

Sakurai isn't going to cut Palutena.  There's no way.

2 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

If I had to "predict" which characters would be cut, I would go with:
Mii Fighters (because fuck them.  They're three non-characters who are a waste of time.)
Bowser Jr.
Mewtwo (farewell, sweet prince)
Little Mac (my understanding is that Japan was meh on his inclusion / didn't even know who he was)

Wii Fit Trainer (I don't know what the future of this series is.  I don't know if Nintendo would come out with a fitness game for Switch, or what, since at the moment Wii peripherals aren't compatible with Switch.)
Roy (Another fave of mine.  Honestly it's hard for me to cut any of the FE characters because, based on the heroes ballot, they are all pretty popular.  Ike, Roy, and Lucina all won the first year ballot.  irrc Marth would have been higher on the first-year and top 2 in the second-year ballot if they combined his FE1 and FE3 votes.  As far as Robin and Corrin, they are less popular, but have more unique movesets and are newer.)

This doesn't include potential third-party cuts, or cutting clones because I think that is not worth it anyway.  Also, I want all of these characters to return, except Mii Fighters.  I also don't care if custom moves return, so if those are cut so 1 actual character can live, great, do that.  The only character who would suffer is Palutena.

@Purple_beard

Sakurai isn't going to cut Palutena.  There's no way.

Bowser Jr and Mewtwo will stay.

Lil Mac, because he is a boxer, and thus a fighter... I can't see him being gone.

Wii Fit Trainer ...due to no real WiiFit on WiiU and no real WiiFit coming to Switch I'd agree that she could be up for the axe.  I did think they pulled of a decent move set for her though.

Mii Fighters were a good idea but ever since the Wii it seems like Nintendo wants to dump them....  yeah... the hangman will claim them too.

The elephant in the room:

Amiibo line?

Obviously Nintendo is still doing the figures....

However the roster from the last game is complete AND the Splatoon characters already have 3 sets to their name.

I doubt they do the same poses again for those that stay.

I doubt they do alt colors....