Finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2!! (Endgame Spoilers)

After 110 hours of playing I finally completed the game and oh my gosh, I loved every minute of it.  The last few chapters especially was one mindblowing thing after another which is giving me a lot to think about regarding its connections to Xenoblade Chronicles.

I still remember speculative talk around the net about the game having potential ties to the original because of how the landmasses in this game, the titans, were similar to how Bionis and Mechonis worked.  But it was a loose thread to begin with and I'm pretty sure interviews from MonolithSoft "confirmed" that this was a completely different game separate from the original.  It was to be its own self contained story.

So of course, the first 80 or so hours was just me playing a new Xenoblade title and having a ton of fun with it.  Awesome characters, pretty swell story, the music is nice and the environments are as expansive and as beautiful as to be expected from MonolithSoft after all these years.  And then your journey brings you to an ancient cavern/tomb/thingy under Rex's hometown where you discover a third Aegis sword and out of nowhere Rex gets a glimpse of a flashback that looks EXACTLY like the moment where Klaus uses the space station in the original Xenoblade Chronicles to change the world resulting in the world where the Bionis and Mechonis exist. 

Hold up... HOLD UP! I literally sat my controller down and had to compose myself for a second because I had to process what I just saw.  And it was literally a brief flash and then it wasn't spoken of at all after this moment.  So, now the gears start turning because a connection was just established, however brief it was and it was boggling my mind.  But that isn't even all... afterwards you find yourself headed toward the Cliffs of Morytha and at some point you end up fighting Malos and all of a sudden... DUDE STARTS YELLING OUT MONADO ATTACKS!?

BRO!  Hold the heck up... what's going on here!?  So the games aren't meant to be connected but ol' boy is using his own Monado attacks now that he's nearly back to full strength.  Okay, okay... maybe it's just an easter egg; a little callback to the original game kind of like the Monado pin in Lin's hair from Xenoblade Chronicles X or that little cheeky "Hom Hom" moment from Tatsu. Alright, fine. But this PLUS the flashback from earlier is starting to tell another story and now I'm in it to win it cause I gotta see how much more there is to this.

Seriously, after this point, the last few chapters are one big story moment after another.  Although the business of the world tree gave me Tales of Symphonia vibes in a way it's kind of nuts that everything you've been fighting for was never at all what it seemed and you eventually find out that what you hoped for was never really there to begin with.  You finally find the Architect, the "creator" of the world and from there you finally realize the full weight of these connections to the original Xenoblade Chronicles and Klaus' role in all of that.  To think, that his actions created two worlds (that we know of) whose events were taking place simultaneously was kind of bonkers. Hearing Shulk's voice as his crew's final battle was winding down while Rex and his friends were in the midst of their own was just the coolest thing.

But now... a question or two:

1) The Architect mentions that there were three Aegises: Logos (Malos), Pneuma (Pyra/Mythra) and Ontos (???)  Now, it's not explicitly noted anywhere what happened to Ontos other than it disappeared into a dimension and was forever lost but what could it be?  Before I took my time to read around the web after completing the game I had the idea that maybe it could eventually be a connection to Xenoblade Chronicles X and the weird stuff that happens in that game.  There's a lot of speculation that there is some artificial hanky panky going on there that resulted in Mira's creation and how it seems to be this inescapable of world drawing all manner of different life forms to it and having some effect on the reality of what is going on with the planet.  With a lot of speculation suggesting "L", due to his original  intended purpose going through the game's artbook, was meant to play a larger more foreboding role in the story that maybe he could have been what became of Ontos.  Or he was just intended to be the "Big Bad" taking advantage of Ontos' effect on the world of Mira. However, I'm reading a lot online suggesting that Ontos could actually be Alvis since Alvis actually says in his vision to Shulk that his homeworld was that of the Earth before Klaus ran the experiment that affected the universe.  What are your thoughts?

2) Klaus mentions that his time is nearly up and from what I gathered it's entirely because the half of him that resides in Shulk's world as Zanza is about to be destroyed. Doesn't this also suggest that if not for the journey of Shulk and company that Klaus would continue to live on indefinitely? And if he did and Rex and Co. fulfilled their mission then what might have happened to Klaus?  The conduit would have remained, right?  And so the space station wouldn't have crumbled even if Klaus offered up the energy to allow the world to be changed once more as it eventually became at the end of the game.  Is there any effect the world Rex lived in coujld have had on the world Shulk lived in?  I know these are probably questions that probably won't have answers because things never go this far I'm just curious about what others may think about it

3) In the original Xenoblade Chronicles, thanks to Alvis' assistance Shulk was able to recreate the world using a third Monado. No longer is it an endless ocean where the only livable areas are on the bodies of two massive titans.  There are now landmasses, at least one major organic continent, that exists in the new world and all races are living together in harmony. In Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the Architect himself Klaus uses the last of his energy before the "conduit/Zohar" fades to create a new world beyond that of what used to be the ruined Land of Morytha beneath the cloud sea.  Here, there is yet another vast ocean at what seems to be at least one large organic continent that becomes ever larger as the existing titan landmasses connect to it and becomes additional parts of the landmass making it ever larger.  Now, there's no reason to believe that this world is another perspective of the one Shulk's eventually became since the world itself was changed and not the universe. However, it was interesting to see something of a parallel with how remnants of the former titans became landmasses for this new world much like remnants of the Bionis became part of it in Shulk's world.  To be honest, I was actually looking out to see if I might catch a sight of Bionis' horn somewhere to see if such a connection might be a confirmed after all. :P

1) Most of the theory's point to Alvis. You take the entire ending of XB1 with what he is and his statement "I am monado, I was here at the beginning and I shall proclaim the end" and it falls into place of the missing processor. That and the scene involving the Mechonis memories shows a baby that looks similar to Alvis.

2) Klaus was living on as a piece of the conduit, basically a physical bridge between his world and Zanza's world. No clue if he would have lived on after Zanza rebooting his world again but I wouldn't see why he couldn't live forever. I doubt Rex's world would have had an affect on Shulk's world though unless you somehow killed Klaus as wouldn't he have tried stopping his other half from being a complete crazy god?

3) Shulk's post titan world looked pretty developed by the time they show it. Rex's looked like a barren continent.

Problem is you are trying to link something that happened in a sequel to to a game that the sequel wasn't thought of at all nor was XBC originally part of the Xeno series

36 minutes ago, gbwyoshi said:

Reveal hidden contents

1) Most of the theory's point to Alvis. You take the entire ending of XB1 with what he is and his statement "I am monado, I was here at the beginning and I shall proclaim the end" and it falls into place of the missing processor. That and the scene involving the Mechonis memories shows a baby that looks similar to Alvis.

2) Klaus was living on as a piece of the conduit, basically a physical bridge between his world and Zanza's world. No clue if he would have lived on after Zanza rebooting his world again but I wouldn't see why he couldn't live forever. I doubt Rex's world would have had an affect on Shulk's world though unless you somehow killed Klaus as wouldn't he have tried stopping his other half from being a complete crazy god?

3) Shulk's post titan world looked pretty developed by the time they show it. Rex's looked like a barren continent.

Problem is you are trying to link something that happened in a sequel to to a game that the sequel wasn't thought of at all nor was XBC originally part of the Xeno series

I don't know if it's such a problem attempting to link the two for a reason such as that when XBC2 seems to go out of it way to realize those connections.  Granted, there is some retconning of events to an extent; for instance the scenes when Klaus and the now named Galea (presumably Meyneth) discussed whether or not the experiment was ready to be run were somewhat different. In XBC there were others in the room with them, in XBC2 I don't remember there being anyone there although there were others in the station itself.  In addition, there wasn't any description of a battle going on outside the station in XBC while in XBC2 there was. Of course, explicit talk regarding the conduit and everything specifically resided in XBC2.  However, the core of those events and the actual experiment being run, affecting the planet and the universe fall in place together.

With that said, on point #3 I did mention that there was no reason to believe their worlds were one and the same but I went into it wondering if they could have been by scanning the new world in Rex's scenario for signs of the fallen Bionis that still existed in the newly remade world in Shulk's scenario.  I wasn't actually suggesting their worlds had merged since their universes still existed separately from one another even as the protagonists of both fulfilled their respective missions.

As for the Alvis explanation, my main concern with that is how the Architect describes when he created Pneuma, Logos and Ontos which was after the experiment had run and sometime after the world was remade and repopulated with new life over "untold millennia" as stated by him. Now, maybe that doesn't necessarily mean anything as Ontos triggering a space time event meant it could have transported to earliest days of the creation of what became Shulk's world. But then it begs the question why it would cause itself to trigger such an event that would take it and only it to some place in another universe at a specific point in time. Just a lucky space time jump, perhaps?

I do have another interesting tidbit though from rewatching some of the scenes in XBC2.  The Architect mentions in his flashback to just before the experiment was run that the world was once the stage of a struggle for survival that dwarfed their current predicament.  I don't know if it was ever explained elsewhere in the game but it sounds like the situation prior to the world being remade was even more dire than the events that took place in XBC2.