Nintendo Direct 03.08.2018 - 2:00PM PT - 5:00PM ET

16 hours ago, XLW said:

I’d choose Alm. 

At least his story makes sense. Celica is clearly an idiot. What she does in Echoes is down right laughable! 

Maybe they'd choose Alm had Celica not already been in Fire Emblem Warriors and won most popular female character in the "Choose Your Legends" contest. Besides, if intelligence was a factor, Corrin shouldn't be anywhere near Smash.

19 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

I just don't see myself lugging that big thing around like I do my 3DS.

Play Switch outside? What madness! If I play my Switch in "portable mode," it's inside. Like while watching a movie or in bed before going to sleep. That being said, I don't take my 3DS outside much, either. I bring a book for my commute. Those are much less expensive and breakable than 3DS or Switch.

4 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

It's an enhanced port, and the above videos show how it'll sell itself. The other ports haven't needed to add very much, so neither will this. I wouldn't be surprised if the Inklings are the only new characters (though of course Ice Climbers will need to come back).

The last DLC for Smash 4 was only two years ago. Smash games take far more than two years to build, and if it was being developed as of spring 2016 it'd be all hands on deck, meaning no time to spare for an old game's DLC.

When I say I expect Smash for Switch to be a new-ish game in the same way Splatoon 2 was a new game, that isn't much different than saying it's an enhanced port. I mean to imply it'll receive more enhancements than a typical Wii U port--just enough that Nintendo can and will market it as a sequel even though it's a port for all practical purposes. What enhancement? I expect presentation to be different, for example: e.g. Link will have his BotW outfit as his default and a BotW stage to complement. I also expect more than just two character additions--probably around five, same number as Smash 4's original DLC characters.

I also wonder if Smash for Switch takes a games-as-a-service approach a la Splatoon, in which case development may continue past 2018. Something to consider. 

We also would've gotten way more than a character teaser with no gameplay.

How do you figure? If anything, teasers seem reserved more for games that aren't ready to be shown off--e.g. Bayoneta 3--and I see no reason why a straight port wouldn't be ready to show off. Like, I feel the fact no gameplay was shown off isn't indicative of anything. 

Edited by KefkaFFVI
41 minutes ago, KefkaFFVI said:

I also wonder if Smash for Switch takes a games-as-a-service approach a la Splatoon, in which case development may continue past 2018. Something to consider. 

I don't think even Nintendo is sure of this.

They've given Smash 4.5 a placeholder instead of a title. They aren't sure if they can call this "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch", because then it would get confused with a true Smash 5 coming to the system years down the road. But if they give it a unique name, people will think it's a whole new game and engine.

You raise an interesting point, though--what if Nintendo just sticks with this engine through the Switch's entire lifespan? It's hard to see Smash 4's physics or graphics needing so much improvement anytime soon. Smash 5 would have an even more MASSIVE roster, requiring even more balancing, and Sakurai just doesn't have the energy to do that again.

I buy into your theory. It'd be much easier on Nintendo and Sakurai to make this an evergreen title with a whole generation of DLC additions.

• Chrom featured this topic
1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

My blood pressure soars to the heavens every time someone thinks this is Smash 5 instead of an enhanced port.

I used to think the same (well other than the blood pressure soaring bit) because it seemed too soon for there to be an honest to goodness brand new Smash rather than an enhanced port.  I mean, a lot of people were initially expecting an enhanced port sometime down the road after some games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe made the rounds and that's knowing Mario Kart 8 (and even Smash for Wii U) both sold relatively well on the previous platform yet stand to still be successful (as MK8 Deluxe has become) on a new platform.

But now I'm wondering if maybe it's not so far fetched for a brand new Smash to be coming this soon particularly if they reuse the engine that Smash for Wii U was developed on.  No doubt that from the original Smash to Melee a new engine was developed with the game and I'd imagine the same is true going from Melee to Brawl as well as Brawl to Smash for Wii U. But would there necessarily be a need for them to completely overhaul the engine from the previous game in order to produce a new one for the Switch?  There's that and we don't know yet just how large the development team is for the new one or how many new additions and changes they will be putting in so there's a lot of elements at play that could be helping to expedite how quickly this Smash Bros. game is showing up. 

The base Smash Bros. for Wii U released nearly four years ago and while I don't want to assume that they immediately jumped in on development for what would become a Switch iteration of the series right after development of the Wii U game ended I'd like to think that there is probably quite a bit more development time under the belt than we know.  I mean, for comparison's sake development of Super Mario Odyssey allegedly began development after the release of Super Mario 3D World in 2013 and with comments not too long ago from developers that the game was always intended for what became Switch.

I honestly feel it could go either way and I'd be fine with whatever result so long as if the path of an enhanced port brings with it quite a few additions to justify it.  The teaser trailer gives me some confidence that if it is an enhanced port that the team are doing exactly that.

1 hour ago, Kezay said:

I used to think the same (well other than the blood pressure soaring bit) because it seemed too soon for there to be an honest to goodness brand new Smash rather than an enhanced port.  I mean, a lot of people were initially expecting an enhanced port sometime down the road after some games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe made the rounds and that's knowing Mario Kart 8 (and even Smash for Wii U) both sold relatively well on the previous platform yet stand to still be successful (as MK8 Deluxe has become) on a new platform.

But now I'm wondering if maybe it's not so far fetched for a brand new Smash to be coming this soon particularly if they reuse the engine that Smash for Wii U was developed on.  No doubt that from the original Smash to Melee a new engine was developed with the game and I'd imagine the same is true going from Melee to Brawl as well as Brawl to Smash for Wii U. But would there necessarily be a need for them to completely overhaul the engine from the previous game in order to produce a new one for the Switch?  There's that and we don't know yet just how large the development team is for the new one or how many new additions and changes they will be putting in so there's a lot of elements at play that could be helping to expedite how quickly this Smash Bros. game is showing up. 

The base Smash Bros. for Wii U released nearly four years ago and while I don't want to assume that they immediately jumped in on development for what would become a Switch iteration of the series right after development of the Wii U game ended I'd like to think that there is probably quite a bit more development time under the belt than we know.  I mean, for comparison's sake development of Super Mario Odyssey allegedly began development after the release of Super Mario 3D World in 2013 and with comments not too long ago from developers that the game was always intended for what became Switch.

I honestly feel it could go either way and I'd be fine with whatever result so long as if the path of an enhanced port brings with it quite a few additions to justify it.  The teaser trailer gives me some confidence that if it is an enhanced port that the team are doing exactly that.

I think the strongest evidence of Smash Switch being a significant update (if not an entirely new entry) is the time between when Sakurai announced he was working on his next project and now. That was back in late 2016, and nearly a year after the final Smash Direct. They've probably been at this for a while. You know how tight-lipped Nintendo is. I don't see the vague nature of the Smash Switch reveal as at all out of character for the drip-feed of information Ninty likes to keep us on. I'm not quite convinced this is an entirely new entry- better to expect the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe treatment and be pleasantly surprised- but I do think they'll be adding a sizable chunk of new stuff. 

Take it or leave it:

Fighters:

*Everyone from Melee and Brawl who got cut from Sm4sh (Ivysaur and Squirtle lose the stamina gimmick and get their own Down-B moves)

*Rex

*Travis Touchdown

*FE Switch Lord

*Gen 8 Pokemon with a major role in the anime

*Ribbon Girl

*Balloon Fighter

*A couple of new third-party Ballot winners

Assists:

*Ninten

*Elma (playable if X gets a port)

*Azura

*Itsuki Aoi (playable if Hashtag Effie gets a port)

*Mòrag with Brighid

*Any agent of S.T.E.A.M.

*One of the Champions from BotW

Stage bosses:

*Ultra Necrozma

*Bana with Giga Rosa

*One of the evil Mirages from Hashtag Effie

*Great Shugguth

*Jasper Batt Jr.

*One of the Blight Ganons

On another thought, Although it could be obvious, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we get more Smash Amiibo in the future 

On a separate note, I somewhat remembered that I still have the copy for Bowser’s Inside Story for the DS.... I have no idea if I actually finished that (actually I haven’t had any motivation to replay the majority of the GBA SuperStar Saga either...)

I think Partners In Time is the only M&L game in the series I’ve actually finished (albeit not 100%)

I seem to be extremely horrible at actually finishing games it seems - I seem to procrastinate too much....

I suppose it doesn’t matter either way since I can’t do anything on the 3DS front since I still haven’t gotten around to sorting out my broken XL, so.....

17 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

I think the strongest evidence of Smash Switch being a significant update (if not an entirely new entry) is the time between when Sakurai announced he was working on his next project and now. That was back in late 2016, and nearly a year after the final Smash Direct. They've probably been at this for a while. You know how tight-lipped Nintendo is. I don't see the vague nature of the Smash Switch reveal as at all out of character for the drip-feed of information Ninty likes to keep us on. I'm not quite convinced this is an entirely new entry- better to expect the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe treatment and be pleasantly surprised- but I do think they'll be adding a sizable chunk of new stuff. 

Good point and I totally forgot about that interview so you're probably right that it could be going the significant update route.

I was fairly pessimistic and certain that the Smash announcement was for another blasted "Deluxe Edition" until somebody pointed out that the site credits HAL Laboratories instead of Bamco and the copyright information does not include the Smash 4 window. At this point I'm leaning towards it being a new iteration until confirmed otherwise (and I really hope they don't I'm not buying the same stuff again).

So I know Nintendo make exception with some game release dates but why is Mario & Luigi: Bowser Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey releasing in 2019?!?

The footage shown it was in English, right? And yeah the 3DS show must end soon (tho I don't mind the release of this game) but why is or this being pushed to 2019. Did anyone catch that, tho?

I knew right a way it was M+L: BiS remake. It's my fave of the series TBH. I'm kinda glad they skipped over Partners in time. One of the least fave of the series.

But 2019 date is weird, that and all game titles 3DS or Switch are coming out 2018. Since that was the focus year of the direct, not season of the year but the year itself.

5 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I knew right a way it was M+L: BiS remake. It's my fave of the series TBH. I'm kinda glad they skipped over Partners in time. One of the least fave of the series.

Agreed. Though might put Dream Team at the bottom. Haven’t played that one with Paper Mario in it yet 

4 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

Agreed. Though might put Dream Team at the bottom. Haven’t played that one with Paper Mario in it yet 

See I would put that at the bottom then the amalgamation of M+L + Paper Mario released two years ago, right? So that's dead last for me then Dream Team, then Partners in Time.

Like that mash game wasn't too bad but it suffer the same pacing issues like Dream Team with side of path of Paper Mario is going. So that is the worst to me.