Nintendo Direct 03.08.2018 - 2:00PM PT - 5:00PM ET

Press release:

The Super Smash Bros. Series Heads to Nintendo Switch in 2018

Nintendo Direct Presentation Highlights Many Upcoming Games for Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS Family of Systems

REDMOND, Wash., March 8, 2018 – During its latest Nintendo Direct presentation, Nintendo announced that the Super Smash Bros. franchise is coming to Nintendo Switch this year. The video also showcased more than a dozen upcoming games for both the Nintendo Switch system and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, with many of the featured games coming from third-party developers, including SQUARE ENIX, Capcom, Grasshopper Manufacture, From Software and Ubisoft.

“Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS are being propelled through 2018 with an energized lineup of games of all kinds,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “These games contain a solid mix of first-party franchises starring some of Nintendo’s most recognizable characters, acclaimed third-party titles and promising indies.”

To view the Nintendo Direct video in its entirety, visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct. Some of the highlights revealed in the video include:

Nintendo Switch
  • Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. (working title): The Super Smash Bros. series comes to Nintendo Switch in 2018. The teaser trailer featured recognizable faces like Mario, Link and the Inklings from the Splatoon series.
  • New Single-Player Expansion Coming to Splatoon 2: The first paid DLC is coming to Splatoon 2 this summer. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion adds a hefty new single-player mode that lets players play as new character Agent 8, an Octoling (!) with lost memories. The new single-player campaign features 80 missions, as well as new stories that shed new light on beloved characters. Players that complete the Octo Expansion campaign will unlock the ability to play as Octolings in multiplayer battles. While Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion launches this summer, players can pre-purchase the DLC starting today in Nintendo eShop to immediately receive Octo-themed in-game gear to use in battle right away. (The full version of the game is required to use DLC.)
  • Major Splatoon 2 Update: In April, Splatoon 2 is getting a major free update (Version 3.0) that contains 100+ new pieces of gear, more stages rolling out throughout spring (Piranha Pit, Camp Triggerfish and Wahoo World) and a new rank (Rank X). Rank X is an extreme rank, even higher than S+.
  • Mario Tennis Aces: Unleash an arsenal of shots and strategies in all-out tennis battles with friends, family and fan-favorite Mushroom Kingdom characters. With up to four-player local (additional accessories may be required and are sold separately) and online* multiplayer, and a story mode that even includes creative boss battles, Mario Tennis Aces is one of the most robust Mario sports games yet. The intuitive and deep gameplay allows for exciting competitions in the living room or, really, anywhere using the power of Nintendo Switch. In Swing Mode, players can use their Joy-Con controllers like a tennis racket, swinging them to initiate the tennis swings in the game. Mario Tennis Aces launches exclusively for Nintendo Switch on June 22.
  • Mario Tennis Aces Pre-launch Online Tournament: More details will be revealed in the future, but a free Mario Tennis Aces demo is coming soon. For a limited time, players can try out online* tournament matches in the game before it launches. To participate, players just have to download the Pre-launch Online Tournament in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch.
  • Kirby Star Allies: Kirby is coming to Nintendo Switch for the first time next week! As players make their way through the robust adventure, they will reach dream palaces where fan-favorite legacy characters can become Kirby’s Dream Friends. Eventually, more Dream Friends will be added to the game through free updates. The first such update hits March 28 and adds classic characters Marx, Gooey and character set “Rick & Kine & Coo” to the game. Kirby Star Allies launches exclusively for Nintendo Switch on March 16. A free demo for the game is currently available in Nintendo eShop.
  • Octopath Traveler: Producer Masashi Takahashi from SQUARE ENIX revealed new details about the upcoming RPG, including the final game name, Octopath Traveler, two more main characters (Tressa the Merchant and Alfyn the Apothecary) and the ability to equip multiple jobs per character for use in battle. Octopath Traveler launches exclusively for Nintendo Switch on July 13. Octopath Traveler: Wayfarer’s Edition, a special edition bundle that includes a stylized pop-up book, a helpful cloth map, the Octopath Traveler: Sound Selections CD and a replica coin based on the in-game currency, launches the same day.
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, which originally launched for Wii U, is coming to Nintendo Switch. The new version includes new miniature courses based on various Kingdoms in the Super Mario Odyssey game. Also, anyone can play with a friend or family member by sharing a pair of Joy-Con controllers. While one player controls Captain Toad, the other can assist with things like turnip cover fire. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker launches for Nintendo Switch on July 13. A Nintendo 3DS version of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, which includes stereoscopic 3D visuals and touch-screen controls, also launches on July 13.
  • Crash Bandicoot Crashes Nintendo Switch: Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, which includes remastered versions of the first three Crash Bandicoot games, launches for Nintendo Switch on July 10.
  • Okami HD: The gorgeous and ethereal remake of classic action-adventure game Okami is coming to Nintendo Switch. In the Nintendo Switch version of the game, players can use the touch screen in Handheld Mode or the Joy-Con motion controls in TV or Tabletop Mode to control the Celestial Brush to defeat enemies and solve puzzles. Okami HD launches in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch this summer.
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole: The South Park gang is back in an outrageously offensive superhero RPG adventure. And with Nintendo Switch, players can now drop into South Park anytime, anywhere. In addition to the main game, all of the game’s add-on content will be available for purchase. South Park: The Fractured But Whole launches for Nintendo Switch on April 24.
  • Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido: Originally announced for Nintendo 3DS at last year’s E3, Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido is also coming to Nintendo Switch! The action puzzle game finds players devouring conveyor-belt sushi, matching plates and then throwing them to defeat enemies. The basics are simple, but the gameplay is deep … and tasty! In the game’s multiplayer mode, players can even compete locally or online* against other players in intense matches. Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido launches for both Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS on June 8.
  • DARK SOULS: REMASTERED: The remake of the genre-defining and beloved original DARK SOULS game launches for Nintendo Switch on May 25. On the same day, an amiibo figure based on Solaire of Astora will also be released. By tapping this amiibo, the popular “Praise the Sun” gesture can be used with reckless abandon from the start of the game. (The gesture can also be obtained through regular gameplay.) Players who want to take the game for a spin can participate in a “network test.” The free network test launches in Nintendo eShop, and will allow players to download and play a part of DARK SOULS: REMASTERED before it launches to try out the gameplay and unique online features. More details about the network test will be revealed soon.
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes: When Travis Touchdown wanders into the game world, he goes on a rampage of epic proportions. The latest title in the cult classic No More Heroes series contains a total of seven game titles, including an action game, racing game and puzzle game. By using another Joy-Con controller, two players can team up for co-op multiplayer action. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes launches exclusively for Nintendo Switch this year.
  • Little Nightmares: Complete Edition: From award-winning developer Tarsier Studios comes Little Nightmares, a charmingly horrific puzzle-platforming adventure. The Complete Edition contains the two haunting tales of Six and The Runaway Kid in one package. You can even tap the PAC-MAN amiibo figure (sold separately) to unlock the Pakku Mask when playing. Little Nightmares: Complete Edition launches on May 18.
  • UNDERTALE: The million-selling role-playing game in which nobody has to die is headed to Nintendo Switch. Launch details will arrive at a later date.
  • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition: The definitive edition (it’s in the title!) of Hyrule Warriors brings together dozens of characters from the Legend of Zelda series in an over-the-top action game. The game launches for Nintendo Switch on May 18.
  • ARMS US & Canada Online Open Tournament**: Players who want to show off their ARMS skills will be able to enter the ARMS US & Canada Online Open Tournament, which takes place in the Nintendo Switch game’s Ranked Match mode now through March 18. The eight top players in these preliminary rounds will have an opportunity to move on to the online finals on March 31. The finals will be streamed live from Nintendo of America HQ at https://arms.nintendo.com/videos/.
  • ARMS Testpunch: A new global Testpunch for the ARMS game, which lets Nintendo Switch owners try out select modes for free, will be running for three days starting on March 31. To participate, players just have to download the Testpunch in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch.
Nintendo 3DS
  • WarioWare Gold: The frenetic WarioWare series is back, and for the first time it’s on Nintendo 3DS! With 300 fast-paced microgames that can be controlled by pressing buttons, tilting the system, tapping the touch screen or using the microphone, WarioWare Gold is the biggest entry in the series. And for the first time, the game includes fully voiced characters. WarioWare Gold launches exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on Aug. 3.
  • Luigi’s Mansion: The original Luigi’s Mansion, which was a launch game for the Nintendo GameCube system in 2001, is coming to Nintendo 3DS. This remake has an updated look and new features, like a map that displays on the bottom screen and a boss rush mode. Luigi’s Mansion launches exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems this year.
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey: In this Nintendo 3DS remake of a classic Mario & Luigi action RPG adventure, fans can replay (or play for the first time) Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story, one of the most critically acclaimed games in the Mario & Luigi series. It features new graphics and a new mode that tells the behind-the-scenes story of Bowser Jr. Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey launches exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems in 2019.
  • Dillon’s Dead-Heat Breakers: Action meets tower defense in Dillon’s Dead-Heat Breakers. In this new game, players take on the role of armadillo ranger Dillon, who teams up with an animalized version of the player’s Mii character to help stop enemy invasions and save the post-apocalyptic frontier. Dillon’s Dead-Heat Breakers launches exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems in Nintendo eShop on May 24. A free demo for the game will be available to download on May 10.
  • Detective Pikachu: Starting today, this new detective adventure game starring self-proclaimed “great detective” Pikachu is available for pre-purchase on Nintendo eShop and Nintendo.com. The game, as well as an extra-large Detective Pikachu amiibo figure (sold separately), launches on March 23. (The game is playable in 2D only.)

Remember that Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about other features, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/ or https://www.nintendo.com/3ds/.

*Nintendo Account is required. Online services and features, including online gameplay, are free until the paid Nintendo Switch Online Service launches in September 2018.

**NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of US and CAN; high-speed internet required. Qualifier Period begins 3/8/18 at 5PM PT and ends 3/18/18 at 4:59PM PT. To participate, play at least 50 matches in Ranked Matchduring Qualifier Period (Ranked Match only available after you beat Grand Prix). Based on ARMS in-game ranking system and winning percentages during Qualifier Period, 8 Finalists and 4 Alternates will be selected to be available to participate in Finals to be held 3/31/18. Winner of Finals will get 1 color artwork (ARV $125). Other Finalists and Alternates will get 1 artwork (ARV $50 each). Odds of winning depend on no. of participants. Restrictions apply. Visit https://arms.nintendo.com/rules.pdf and https://arms.nintendo.com/fr/rules.pdf for additional details and full rules. Sponsor: Nintendo of America Inc.

More thoughts from me:

- I really wasn't expecting paid DLC for Splatoon 2 but 80 new single-player missions seems pretty good to me. That and we'll finally get playable Octolings.

- Mario Tennis Aces actually looks pretty legit. The new abilities show a lot more care and thought than Ultra Smash. Still probably won't buy it but I'm more interested in renting it now.

- Octopath Traveler gets a release date, yes. Give me all of those octopaths.

- Feels like they could have made a new Captain Toad game instead of a port, but eh, I never bought it on Wii U anyway.

- Okami again. Happy to see it's still alive in the video game universe but I'd be even happier to see a brand new entry in the franchise.

- Excited to see more gameplay footage of Travis Strikes Again. I assume we'll get a release date at E3.

- Still debating buying Hyrule Warriors. A part of me was hoping that they were delaying giving it a solid release date because they might add some new content to it, but it'll still be a pretty massive game when it launches.

- More ports for the 3DS—that's good, I guess. I wonder why the Bowser's Inside Story port isn't coming until next year though. It's not like there are too many other 3DS games releasing this year.

Hey, guys. Not sure if anyone's caught this already. Watch the Smash reveal again. That's totally Breath of the Wild Link in the closeup. You could take it to mean it's a new entry in the series, but it could just as easily be a new costume for Link. 

Edited by Laclipsey
3 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Yeah; I mean I want it to be a new entry, but the possibility of enhanced port hasn't been completely ruled out.

I mean, I'm 98% sure this is an expanded port. But Samus and Link seem to have gotten visual updates, so either way, there's that to look forward to. :)

8 minutes ago, Laclipsey said:

I mean, I'm 98% sure this is an expanded port. But Samus and Link seem to have gotten visual updates, so either way, there's that to look forward to. :)

It's an enhanced port. Same as almost every other port Nintendo is putting out right now. Same Smash 4, but with a few cosmetic updates and a few new fighters.

Having a debate with an incredibly stubborn friend who doesn't seem to understand that new Smash games do not get developed in two years. Cue facepalming straight through my skull.

What would the practical difference be between a new game and an updated port anyway? Like, what would smash 5 proper confer that a smash 4 enhanced port wouldn't?

Any situation I see, using smash 4 as a base game is a good idea. And if that leads to a meatier, albeit familiar, experience I'm all for it. But again, what can do to avoid feeling familiar, without getting too gimmicky?

Speaking of, is anyone else a little put off by the sheer volume of past-gen ports lately? How many times are they going to rehash Hyrule Warriors? I bought it once and I'm not buying it again. Less egregious are the expanded port of Bowser's Inside Story (which I don't take issue with on its own merit) and the expanded ports of Captain Toad on Switch and 3DS. Between all of this and a bizarrely timed Luigi's Mansion port, among the litany of remakes and ports revealed last Direct, I feel a little conned. Like I was foolish for having bought some of these games already.

I realize this is hardly a new problem, and in fairness, mostly this complaint is leveled at Hyrule Warriors, as this is the third time they've sold it to us full price. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the new Smash as much as the next guy, and expanded remakes certainly have their place. I know incrementally updated ports are comparatively cheaper to produce than a brand new game, but it seems to me there's an overabundance of them on Switch. Does anyone else feel this way? 

Edited by Laclipsey
11 minutes ago, KefkaFFVI said:

What would the practical difference be between a new game and an updated port anyway? Like, what would smash 5 proper confer that a smash 4 enhanced port wouldn't?

Any situation I see, using smash 4 as a base game is a good idea. And if that leads to a meatier, albeit familiar, experience I'm all for it. But again, what can do to avoid feeling familiar, without getting too gimmicky?

A new Smash game would mean a new game engine. This will be almost exactly the same as the several balances patches Smash 4 was given--same game, but with balance adjustments and a few new characters.

People will buy it for improved online play and the new characters, stages, costumes, and balances.

23 minutes ago, KefkaFFVI said:

It all depends on what you define as a full sequel. The line has been blurred in recent years by remakes, half-sequels, HD remasters, and expanded ports. In the case of Smash, there's certainly an expectation to start from scratch each time, but I'm not satisfied with that answer. I feel the two key elements are time and volume of content. Time needed for Nintendo to build up enough new IP that they can impress with a sizable expansion to the volume of content and entice the user base to "upgrade." If Melee had only added Bowser, Marth, Zelda, and Mewtwo, I don't think we'd have thought of it as a full sequel. Then again, that was another era of gaming, when DLC didn't even exist. Smash 4 added 7 DLC characters on top of the base game, yet we do not consider the DLC to constitute a new entry in the series.

I'm with you. I see no reason to start from scratch on another Smash game. If they can bring the 3DS stages into HD and round out the roster with another few Shantae characters, this'll be a done deal for me. 

Edited by Laclipsey
19 minutes ago, Laclipsey said:

Speaking of, is anyone else a little put off by the sheer volume of past-gen ports lately? How many times are they going to rehash Hyrule Warriors? I bought it once and I'm not buying it again. Less egregious are the expanded port of Bowser's Inside Story (which I don't take issue with on its own merit) and the expanded ports of Captain Toad on Switch and 3DS. Between all of this and a bizarrely timed Luigi's Mansion port, among the litany of remakes and ports revealed last Direct, I feel a little conned. Like I was foolish for having bought some of these games already.

I realize this is hardly a new problem, and in fairness, mostly this complaint is leveled at Hyrule Warriors, as this is the third time they've sold it to us. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the new Smash as much as the next guy, and expanded remakes certainly have their place. I know incrementally updated ports are comparatively cheap to produce than a brand new game, but it seems to me there's an overabundance of them on Switch. Does anyone else feel this way? 

As a former Wii U owner, I'm not entirely a fan of the Wii U ports. But most Switch owners aren't Wii U owners, and I think they'd prefer having those games. I can't get made at Nintendo for doing something that sometimes hurts a minority I happen to be part of whilst benefitting most users. Plus portability is nice; I haven't had a good handheld Mario Kart in a decade.

Like, I'm okay with the Wii U ports but will pass on most of them.

Assuming there's not any major cuts, I could definitely entertain Smash Switch if like Wolf is brought back, but since we already got Mewtwo back, I don't have too much left to passionately pull for. Beyond the roster though, will have to see what all the game modes and such consist of as to whether I'm enticed enough. I won't be too bothered if there's not much new or different from SSB4, though may pass on it since I'm kinda over SSB4 at this point, or wait awhile on getting it, depending. So many ports now after all...

Regardless of the cast, I just hope that magic and retention of Smash is there for me again. It wasn't really there with SSB4 to be honest, though you could blame it on there being two versions which led to a burnout, one of which was on a dead console.

40 minutes ago, KefkaFFVI said:

As a former Wii U owner, I'm not entirely a fan of the Wii U ports. But most Switch owners aren't Wii U owners, and I think they'd prefer having those games. I can't get made at Nintendo for doing something that sometimes hurts a minority I happen to be part of whilst benefitting most users. Plus portability is nice; I haven't had a good handheld Mario Kart in a decade.

Like, I'm okay with the Wii U ports but will pass on most of them.

See, I'm still not sold on the Switch as a portable console. I dunno, maybe I'll understand it once I actually have a Switch, but I just don't see myself lugging that big thing around like I do my 3DS. That, and being able to play Skyrim on the go is a really silly thing to think about when my train ride is only 45 minutes long. But hey, for some people, it works.

More to the point, it goes beyond just bringing it to a new audience, I feel. I don't understand the rationale behind porting Captain Toad to both 3DS and Switch. I can hazard a guess that they're trying to prove Kimishima's belief that the 3DS fulfills a different market. I believe he's right, first of all, but this feels more like a cash grab. The fact that they are expanding Hyrule Warriors yet again and selling it to us for full price yet again is a much more transparent cash grab. I mean, it doesn't hurt me, because ultimately I choose how to spend my money. But I believe this kind of practice sends a clear message to early adopters, and I can't help but feel slightly upset by it in general.

Edited by Laclipsey
2 hours ago, Fuzzer1 said:

So in the January ND they said Mario Tennis Aced would be coming in “Dpring 2018.”

Not sure how a June 22 release date is “Spring 2018” when that’s the second full day of Summer.

I caught that.

2 hours ago, alienboyva said:

Literally everyone's reaction to the SSB4 Switch teaser...

GXNYEkg.gif

Yup, they went meta on that teaser.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

People will buy it for improved online play and the new characters, stages, costumes, and balances.

This is me.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

I'm mostly caught on the difference between Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and the new Switch installment. There's a lot to be said. Really shows how actively Nintendo condemned the Wii U and got their act together for Switch.

Yeah, I even noticed they touched up the graphics from its first reveal back in January. Something looked off an now it looks just right. I really loved mechanics they put in here. It makes sense and it is fun.

----------

I'll post my overall thoughts on direct later. I'm still a bit drained in what was shown in that direct.

Yeah, I don't get why Sushi Strikers and Captain Toad can be both 3DS and Switch, while WarioWare: Gold is only 3DS. Maybe it's because it includes microgames from WarioWare: Toched!, which used both screens...?

I so would have love for this to be on Switch as well, because I (like most people) I'm done with 3DS, as far as new games go. 

GXNYEkg.gifgiphy.gif

Pretty decent Direct I thought and even without that ending smashing tease at the end. ;)

With that being said, I don't mind seeing many of the Wii U ports coming since I think it's fairly obvious why they are.  In fact, I remember (not necessarily exclusive to ninfora discussions) people talking about wanting to see some games appear on Switch so that they weren't stuck on Wii U which didn't do as well as hoped.  Now, most should have assumed that this strategy would yield popular games that they likely would have already played, so yeah I can see why many of the announcements aren't doing much for a lot of people. But there are plenty of Switch owners out there that never owned a Wii U or even played some of the games coming to Switch that were part of Wii U's library.  Now is an opportunity to give those titles a second chance and fans another opportunity to play these games.  That's just my two cents, though.

I've gotta get to Splatoon 2 which I don't think I've even started because of all the time consuming games I've been playing on top of all the work I've been... working... at work.  But now I have the time to try and get back to things until I decide to dive into the DLC for Zelda and eventually check out all the udpate stuff for XBC2 as well as its story DLC later on when it launches.  I've still got plenty to play as I wait for these other games to come down the pipeline and that's before I even get around to what I've still gotta check out on 3DS.  It's a fine time to be a gamer, that's for sure! ^_^

BTW, it's kind of interesting to see the original Crash Trilogy on a Nintendo system now.  I mean the series has been on Nintendo platforms with the series in the past but never the original "holy grail" of the series that originated on the original PSX. :P

Pyra is most likely. 

Celica is definite.

Ice Climbers and joycon color scheme.

I seriously hope they make alternate costumes or support fighters that aren't assist.

Wonder what this means for Ganon. Toon Ganon?

Edited by Jirachi