Kirby Star Allies

4 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

I think actually that's what it comes down to for me. It's less about the difficulty and more of the aesthetics. The problem with the NSMB series it's just generic graphics compared to being its own thing like Mario World, Mario 3 and the earlier platform games in that series. I think that's what my problem is now with the Kirby series. That's why I can appreciate Epic Yarn and the Canvas games for what they are, their own thing. Again I am really just talking graphically and atmosphere wise, nothing to do with the gameplay. 

That's not exactly what I'm getting at. I personally take no issue with the vanilla aesthetic. I think sprites are more visually appealing than 3D models generally, but that's an entirely different discussion for another time. The problem I have with NSMB is that each iteration plays exactly the same. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I cannot distinguish between a level in NSMB Wii and NSMB U. Taking it further, I would apply this statement to trying to differentiate between entire worlds in the same game. There's just no sense of variety anymore.

Kirby is starting to feel much the same way. After three core series Kirby games using Return to Dreamland's engine, the little guy is starting to become predictable. And that's a very dissatisfying place for Kirby to be in my opinion, as for so many years Kirby's best asset was his versatility. Some of my favorite Kirby games were the ones that did wild and crazy things, like 64, Tilt n' Tumble, and Air Ride. All of these reveled in a rich sense of variety and memorable moments around every turn.

Planet Robobot was a step in the right direction, I feel, with its central gimmick being more utilized than Triple Deluxe's Hypernova (whose only input from the player consisted of pressing the attack button in specific locations and watching the spectacle unfold). It also offers a better sense of variety and some genuinely fun moments with the mech. But I'd be lying if I said the low difficulty didn't hamper the experience, and in an environment where each of Kirby's copy abilities affords him several different attacks, the game doesn't really push the player to utilize everything at their disposal, and the only real challenge to be gleaned is in replaying the levels to get the collectibles you missed the first time around (which you'll have done after two tries, max, and even then that's due in part to the trial and error nature of puzzles in Kirby games).

Epic Yarn was a beautiful game aesthetically, but my problem with it is that it expects so little of the player. None of the enemies actively attack you, or if they do, they're woefully inept at it.  You can't even die in Epic Yarn, so the only thing that's ever in jeopardy is your score. Even when you struggle because you missed something obvious, the victory isn't satisfying because it doesn't feel earned. Now look at Squeak Squad, which isn't exactly a difficult game by objective standards, but there are at least obstacles in your way and the danger of death is very real. Revisiting levels to get treasure chests is an exciting thing not only because the rewards are more substantial, but also because the trials you undertake to get them don't underestimate your ability as a player. There's a real adrenaline rush when one of the Squeaks has got a treasure chest and you're racing him to the exit. The game puts obstacles in your path that actually test your platforming chops and provides you with incentive to challenge yourself.

Aside from some new copy abilities and new music, I'm hard-pressed to think of more than a few memorable levels out of the 3DS duology. I feel I should stress that it's not that I don't enjoy these games. It's just that they've become very much like a sort of comfort food for me- I consume it once and don't really take anything memorable away from it. Or revisit it. But I'll still go back and replay Super Star, Nightmare in Dreamland, or even Mass Attack or Rainbow Curse any day. 

Don't have time to read all the comments here, but I played the demo this past weekend and I thought it was alright. The game seems geared towards mutliplayer--a lot more than the Wii game--and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. 

If the game were on sale for about $40 or less, I might get it. For now, I'll pass. 

Edited by KefkaFFVI
58 minutes ago, KefkaFFVI said:

Don't have time to read all the comments here, but I played the demo this past weekend and I thought it was alright. The game seems geared towards mutliplayer--a lot more than the Wii game--and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. 

If the game were on sale for about $40 or less, I might get it. For now, I'll pass. 

I have gamer club unlocked for Best Buy so I would be getting it for $48 plus tax. Not sure when it would go down to $40 but I do wish it was $40 right off the bat.

16 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

So for those who saw the Direct, we get some familiar faces joining Kirby in a download. Now I'm hyped.

I was a bit hyped about them showing Marx. lol

Played the demo with Krazy and had fun with it. A lot of elements give me a Superstar mixed with Crystal Shards kind of vibe with the cooperative play and being able to enhance weapons/abilities with the powers of your teammates.  That was a nice touch.

On 3/9/2018 at 5:06 PM, Kezay said:

I was a bit hyped about them showing Marx. lol

Played the demo with Krazy and had fun with it. A lot of elements give me a Superstar mixed with Crystal Shards kind of vibe with the cooperative play and being able to enhance weapons/abilities with the powers of your teammates.  That was a nice touch.

Has Marx been featured anywhere outside of Super Star/Ultra?

On 3/13/2018 at 12:42 PM, Eliwoodman12 said:

Has Marx been featured anywhere outside of Super Star/Ultra?

As far as I can remember?  Nope. Like, cameo appearances with the stone ability I think but as an actual "element" in the game?  I don't recall anything.

Looks like it'll be a while before I can play the game, pre-ordered from Amazon here in Canada a week ago and now its estimated delivery date is April 11-30th, I might go look for a copy next week locally and then cancel the pre-order as there is no bonus to it anyway.

10 hours ago, Rizz said:

Looks like it'll be a while before I can play the game, pre-ordered from Amazon here in Canada a week ago and now its estimated delivery date is April 11-30th, I might go look for a copy next week locally and then cancel the pre-order as there is no bonus to it anyway.

You are better off. I thought Amazon was supposed to be this power house and gets things done on time. If you have gamer's club at best buy I would totally recommend doing that. Gets 20 percent off all new purchases. 

4 hours ago, XLW said:

I found the code! You know, like crowned or the rgb thing of color that they love to do! 

Reveal hidden contents

FRIENDS.

There's a code? I'm so confused lol.

So anyways, played through Dreamland and the boss battle at the end of the world was pretty funny, I won't spoil it though. But as I expected, it's really easy. One of the tips on the screen goes if Kirby gets to 0 lives its game over. I already have 22 and haven't gotten game over yet. I feel like the stars you collect through the levels shouldn't add to 1ups. 

40 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

You are better off. I thought Amazon was supposed to be this power house and gets things done on time. If you have gamer's club at best buy I would totally recommend doing that. Gets 20 percent off all new purchases. 

There's a code? I'm so confused lol.

So anyways, played through Dreamland and the boss battle at the end of the world was pretty funny, I won't spoil it though. But as I expected, it's really easy. One of the tips on the screen goes if Kirby gets to 0 lives its game over. I already have 22 and haven't gotten game over yet. I feel like the stars you collect through the levels shouldn't add to 1ups. 

Dude I have 75 lives or so right now. There is no way I can get a game over. And I think this game has really simple but challenging puzzles and rewards. 

I don’t know how well this game is yet. It’s very beautiful and it plays like a Kirby game usually is. The powers, old and new, work well. And I think I’m close to the end, which is really exciting. But, once I beat it, I’ll give my overall thoughts. 

As for the code thing, the first letters of each zone usually spells out something. Like Kirby’s Adventure being the colors of the rainbow, or FLOWERED for Triple Deluxe. And I  found the message within a day, and it works well with the theme here. I shouldn’t have said code, but it’s just a fun little secret message or whatever.

Edited by XLW
37 minutes ago, XLW said:

Dude I have 75 lives or so right now. There is no way I can get a game over. And I think this game has really simple but challenging puzzles and rewards. 

I don’t know how well this game is yet. It’s very beautiful and it plays like a Kirby game usually is. The powers, old and new, work well. And I think I’m close to the end, which is really exciting. But, once I beat it, I’ll give my overall thoughts. 

As for the code thing, the first letters of each zone usually spells out something. Like Kirby’s Adventure being the colors of the rainbow, or FLOWERED for Triple Deluxe. And I  found the message within a day, and it works well with the theme here. I shouldn’t have said code, but it’s just a fun little secret message or whatever.

I never knew that thanks for pointing that out!

51 minutes ago, XLW said:

I defeated it. That was fast. 

This is my overall opinion: 

Hide contents

My second favorite Kirby game behind Robobot, only because of some of some wasted potential behind power combinations and bonus content. That, and some questionable ally CPU.

So you would put it ahead of the older games like Crystal Shard, Dream Land 3 and Super Star? 

43 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

So you would put it ahead of the older games like Crystal Shard, Dream Land 3 and Super Star? 

To be honest, I haven’t finished those three, so I wouldn’t know. I’ve been in and out of SS Ultra, with Milky Way Wishes being the end, I haven’t played Crystal Shards to the end, and I never played Dream Land 3. But I  l like it more than Dream Land, Nightmare In Dream Land, Dream Land II (even though that one is the first), Amazing Mirror, and Triple Deluxe. Currently, Star Allies is somewhere above my favorite 50 games. Don’t get me wrong, all of those I mentioned are of great quality. I haven’t finished Return To Dream Land as well, and I wouldn’t know how that that one will be for me. I have heard great things about that one, because it revived the series. 

Like every series out there, I haven’t experienced all of Kirby’s games. I am a simple casual gamer. But, I love Kirby and how simple and yet somehow sometimes complex the games can get. That’s why a good amount are on my favorites list.

2 hours ago, XLW said:

To be honest, I haven’t finished those three, so I wouldn’t know. I’ve been in and out of SS Ultra, with Milky Way Wishes being the end, I haven’t played Crystal Shards to the end, and I never played Dream Land 3. But I  l like it more than Dream Land, Nightmare In Dream Land, Dream Land II (even though that one is the first), Amazing Mirror, and Triple Deluxe. Currently, Star Allies is somewhere above my favorite 50 games. Don’t get me wrong, all of those I mentioned are of great quality. I haven’t finished Return To Dream Land as well, and I wouldn’t know how that that one will be for me. I have heard great things about that one, because it revived the series. 

Like every series out there, I haven’t experienced all of Kirby’s games. I am a simple casual gamer. But, I love Kirby and how simple and yet somehow sometimes complex the games can get. That’s why a good amount are on my favorites list.

Thats cool. Dreamland 2 being the first?