Fang and Bone – N4A Chat Thread, March 2018

Reilly

2 hours ago, luca said:

Bloodborne is one of my favorite games ever made but if I had any qualms with it is that the lack of build variety and PvP/PvE content hurts its replayability a lot compared to the Souls games.

Ashes of Ariandel is garbage DLC, Ringed City is fucking dope. y;

I agree. The build options were very narrow, but once I got my Blade of Mercy I didn’t really care. I was a tornado of death spinning wildly throughout Yharnam. 

The other issue I do have is that some of the base game bosses were a little too easy. Micolash was disappointingly easy for being such a late game boss. Old Hunters more than makes up for that though. Fuck Ludwig. 

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

I prefer to spread my team out over the course of the whole journey.

Having a full team of 6 early on is nice and all, but it also takes some of the fun out of exploring new areas.

I tend to plan out my team from the get-go; but for Kalos I was like I wanna do an all water team so basically caught every water-type I came across until I eventually settled on them.

There were two exceptions: I knew I wanted to use Azumarill since it was only water/fairy and I wanted to play with a fairy type; and Swanna, as it's the only water/flying type that can learn fly that I didn't use. I almost always make it a point to never reuse a Pokemon in any playthrough. I think I have a spreadsheet somewhere saying what my ingame team is for every Pokemon game I played since I think Pokemon White. 

6 hours ago, ace said:

I agree. The build options were very narrow, but once I got my Blade of Mercy I didn’t really care. I was a tornado of death spinning wildly throughout Yharnam. 

The other issue I do have is that some of the base game bosses were a little too easy. Micolash was disappointingly easy for being such a late game boss. Old Hunters more than makes up for that though. Fuck Ludwig. 

As I phrase it, Bloodborne is a better singleplayer action game meant to be played a few times and nothing more, Dark Souls is a better multiplayer RPG series with tons of replay value.  They have different approaches to what make them enthralling experiences despite having a lot in common.

In terms of atmosphere, presentation, and character, I think Bloodborne's virtually untouchable.  It's managed to tell a compelling story when Dark Souls needed 2.  That being said, I think The Ringed City does a good job of putting a bow on the series and closing it out appropriately.

Edited by luca
On 3/18/2018 at 2:21 AM, Ephraim said:

Thanks! Got in with... UR Delver! Let's see...

Totally feel like a better player than me would have made it into the finals too :P

Dude that is so sweet! Looks like buying Snapcasters paid off :D !

What kind of qualifying tournament was it? 

26 minutes ago, KefkaFFVI said:

I'm a squid. But also a kid. /I just wanna play splatwoon

Hi, how y'all doing today?

Doing ok! Got to go to my local Toys R' Us today. Hoping to try to see if I can get a couple of games at a sale (not there, another store). Just have to make sure that one of the games I'm interested in can be a discounted one. One that is a must get is Pokemon Ultra Moon. Hoping to try to get Ever Oasis. If not, there's a few others I'm interested in.

Edited by Doc Brown

Heading out for my LASIK eye surgery appointment in about an hour. I'm pretty optimistic! People have had consistently excellent things to say about this doctor, and AFAIK he's the most experienced in the procedure in New Zealand.

I mean boiling it down to something that simple is stupid. There are so many reasons why it’s a good procedure to have done. Wearing glasses is a huge hassle and having your eyes work without them is an amazing thing. 

Edited by ace

IntraLASIK has been an option for ~10 years now, which doesn't require any cutting with a sharp instrument. The flap itself is also created with a laser. The operation itself is a bit uncomfortable since they attached a silicone suction cup thing to my eye, and I could also smell my eye burning - but it's all done so quickly that it's worth it.

My vision is still quite cloudy, though it should clear up in just over an hour. Vision will continue to fluctuate and improve over the course of the next week. I'm already noticing the results, even with how cloudy my vision is now!

I've worn contacts for almost a decade, and while I didn't find them uncomfortable to wear, they could be a hassle. I'm looking forward to being able to head out on nights without needing to worry about whether I'd need to bring contact fluid. Long-term (~20 years), this "investment" will also pay itself off based on the price of contacts and fluid alone. Plus I no longer need to spend any time dealing with glasses or contacts. I can simply wake up and get a start on my day!

The cherry on top is that I found out I had a very slight astigmatism in both eyes (-0.25). This should have also been corrected with surgery and my vision should exceed what was achievable with glasses or contacts.