Alright, so you know how everyone fondly remembers how Pokemon helped shape their childhood? Remember trading with your buddies to evolve that Machoke or that Kadabra of yours, finding your first ever shiny when you least expect it, feeling pumped up with adrenaline after catching a legendary with  your last remaining Pokeball, pretending to be some sort of elite Hackerman whenever you exploited a Gen 1 glitch or used a Gameshark or an Action Replay?

What about the bad memories, eh? The few times some unpleasant circumstance befell you, whether it be through your own stupidity or just through bad luck? Something that still sticks to the back of your mind like some parasite leeching off of your good vibes?

I, for one, have a few nasty buggers I'd like to share, but I'll start with just one. 

Approximately twelve years ago my six-year-old self had encountered Zapdos for the first time during a playthrough of Fire Red. Awestruck by this majestic thunderbird I forgot to make a save before provoking it to battle me. Of course it didn't end well, as I had exhausted all of my non-Masterballs trying to catch the damn thing. Frustrated, I restarted at my last save point, which was at the entrance of the Powerplant. For some reason I didn't think to turn back and stock up on max repels or more pokeballs, instead navigating the plant once more, wild encounters and all. The wild encounters tested my patience especially. I was so blinded by my impatience and my desire to capture Zapdos that I forgot to save again when I finally made my way to the legendary bird, and this time, I killed it trying to bring its lower its hit points as much as possible. 

And so I restarted in front of the Power Plant. This cycle continued about a dozen times before I thought, "Fuck it," and used my Masterball. You see, this was actually the first time I ever even encountered a legendary Pokemon. I tried to justify my use of the Masterball by thinking that Zapdos was the only Pokemon of this caliber in the game, not knowing that Moltres, Articuno, and Mewtwo would appear later on. So not only did I waste my Masterball, but every subsequent encounter with the rest of the legendary Pokemon ended poorly due to how unprepared I was. 

I wish I can tell my younger self to save my game just before battling a legendary. 

A fight I got into with friends at the time when it came to trading Pokémon cards; they later felt unhappy with some of the rare cards I traded for their 1st edition Blastoise (forgot what cards they were now), and when shit escalated, we had to trade back and no party was satisfied in the end. 

Video game-wise, hm... I guess when certain files got corrupted by Missingno or somesuch, or when I was chasing a ghost with all the gen 1 rumors back when the internet was new and still naive. Pikablu, you name it.

Edited by Ridley Prime
30 minutes ago, Astlyr said:

I was playing Pokemon Gold and I encountered a shiny Sentret on the first route before the game gives you any pokeballs.

Also later on in that same game I found a shiny Graveler on Mt. Silver that used Explosion before I could catch it.

Can relate on the latter one. Ran into a shiny Weezing in Pokemon Soul Silver in the Safari Zone and the son of a gun ran away.

Got a bad egg in Pokemon Fire Red and had to restart the game.

Im fairly certain I have told this story at least one other time to members here, but if you havent heard the story of my failed shiny Bagon capture in SoulSilver, then here you go.

Playing SoulSilver almost religiously way back when it came out, I was going about my business in the new Safari Zone added in west of Cianwood. I was adding in new obstacles or whatever to get new Pokemon to encounter for PokeDex completion reasons when I suddenly encountered a shiny Bagon. Now this was relatively early in my run for this batch of new Pokemon to encounter, so I had at least 27 of the Safari Balls remaining, meaning plenty of chances to catch this glorious shiny Bagon. If I remember correctly, I threw one rock and no bait since I was scared to make it flee. I start throwing the Safari Balls and one by one each of them fail. This shiny Bagon, as if tormenting and taunting me, watches me carefully after every failed attempt to capture it, right down to my final Safari Ball. To add insult to injury and make me give up on that Safari Zone forever, after that last ball failed the Bagon just stood there watching me carefully. So I was forced to run away from this shiny, which to date is the only shiny I have had to actively make the choice to run away from in order to continue with the game.

I still play the hell out of SoulSilver whenever I get the itch to go back to Johto, but I refuse to step foot into that Safari Zone after what transpired that day.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Can relate on the latter one. Ran into a shiny Weezing in Pokemon Soul Silver in the Safari Zone and the son of a gun ran away.

Got a bad egg in Pokemon Fire Red and had to restart the game.

Bad egg from using a 3rd party device like Gameshark or AR or from natural causes within the game? As anyone from OG Nsider might remember, I used to advocate for those kind of things when it came to getting otherwise unobtainable Pokemon, but that was before event Pokemon became more accessible and before there was online play with Nintendo...

In any case, I remember bad eggs were kinda common in FR/LG for some reason.

Edited by Ridley Prime
3 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Bad egg from using a 3rd party device like Gameshark or AR or from natural causes within the game? I used to advocate for those kind of things when it came to getting otherwise unobtainable Pokemon, but that was before event Pokemon became more accessible and before there was online for Nintendo.

In any case, I remember bad eggs were kinda common in FR/LG for some reason.

AR. Got a number or so wrong in it. Whoops. Needless to say, never touched one of those again. That said, before it was more complex, I had a ball with it. Used to love doing random stuff in Pokemon Crystal. Generally hunting for random shinies and stuff. :P 

I do too.

I mainly used AR so I could get a Deoxys and to get to the Sevii Islands in Fire Red.

Edited by Doc Brown

The only shiny I have ever lost was when I was training a Marshtomp in FR in the Sevii Islands, I found a shiny Psyduck and used an Ice Beam to weaken it since it would resist only to get a critical hit and KO'd it. I was bummed when I lost it since I rarely have encountered shiny pokémon in most of my games(that's the case w/ a lot except for Gen VII and US/UM I hear).

Shit, I feel old, but that also helps me answer this question. I was in Elementary school when Pokemon first hit big in the US. The end of 4th grade to be precise. It was probably about midway through 5th grade that my memory occurs but I can't say for sure. I had the "fortune" of going to a conservative private Christian school. Some of you probably know where this is going already. At some point in 5th grade, the school decided Pokemon was "anti-Christian." I couldn't tell you why and to my parent's credit, who were also conservative Christians, they couldn't either. But that didn't 't change the fact that all the fun recesses of playing the video games and probably even more card games came to an end. 

Now I'm not saying this story because I'm anti-religion or any some such. In fact, outside of the school, most of my friends also stayed interested in Pokemon and a lot of my best memories from that time probably involve Pokemon. However, to this day it still rubs me the wrong way and I feel like making such a big deal out of a fictional thing like that is even why my parent were like "yeah, no." And that was my last year at the school.

Edited by Igneous42
14 hours ago, Igneous42 said:

Shit, I feel old, but that also helps me answer this question. I was in Elementary school when Pokemon first hit big in the US. The end of 4th grade to be precise. It was probably about midway through 5th grade that my memory occurs but I can't say for sure. I had the "fortune" of going to a conservative private Christian school. Some of you probably know where this is going already. At some point in 5th grade, the school decided Pokemon was "anti-Christian." I couldn't tell you why and to my parent's credit, who were also conservative Christians, they couldn't either. But that didn't 't change the fact that all the fun recesses of playing the video games and probably even more card games came to an end. 

Now I'm not saying this story because I'm anti-religion or any some such. In fact, outside of the school, most of my friends also stayed interested in Pokemon and a lot of my best memories from that time probably involve Pokemon. However, to this day it still rubs me the wrong way and I feel like making such a big deal out of a fictional thing like that is even why my parent were like "yeah, no." And that was my last year at the school.

Oh shit. I think I remember seeing a short 1 minute video on Youtube about some Christian dude trying to prove that Pokemon was the "devil's work" or something. The clip was extracted from a recording from the late 90s, right when Gen 1 started the world-wide Pokemon craze. Out of all of the 151 Pokemon this guy could use to exemplify the demonic nature of the Pokemon, he used a Jigglypuff.

A goddamn Jigglypuff. 

That Christian blowback stuff seemed pretty out-of-hand. 

I think the only real annoying thing was a common occurrence.  In FR/LG, if the legendary beast used Roar on you successfully, it would just be gone forever.  I did not know this.  I encountered him, I guess he used Roar, I got him in my Pokedex, and thought "Great, I can track him now.  Save."  Couldn't catch him anymore.

Not the biggest deal in the world since I had Colosseum, but still stupid.

Getting roped into one-sided card trades by people I didn't know very well. That happened a few times.
Dropping my Game Boy into a toilet 'cause for some reason I wanted to try to hold onto it while pissing instead of setting it on a counter. 
Any moment of games crashing after not having saved in a long time, or falling asleep after a long game night without saving.
Also, I was aware of missingo at a really young age thanks to my brother, and would frequently abuse rare candy duplication so I never had to train pokemon other than my starter. This made grinding in later games kinda difficult for me. When I was 12-13, I went back to the first gen games and noticed the Hall of Fame glitch after a particularly long playthrough that I eventually decided to dupe in. I panicked and erased my game and was really sad about it lol

I wouldn't say I had any particularly bad experiences, though. Except for a tendency to lose the games, which really sucked. But for the most part I always managed to hang onto one version in each generation, so it wasn't that bad. This has haunted me to this day, as I lost my Red version somewhere 4-5 years back, although I'm fairly confident it was swiped in that case. 

Meanwhile I still have some really ass games lying around from 20 years ago lmao

17 minutes ago, Pichi said:

I wouldn't say I had any particularly bad experiences, though. Except for a tendency to lose the games, which really sucked. But for the most part I always managed to hang onto one version in each generation, so it wasn't that bad. This has haunted me to this day, as I lost my Red version somewhere 4-5 years back, although I'm fairly confident it was swiped in that case. 

Meanwhile I still have some really ass games lying around from 20 years ago lmao

Aye, I definitely feel yah mate. Last year, around early June, during my waning weeks of High School, I accidentally left my OG Nintendo DS at the school theater after playing some Mario Kart DS with a friend. Worse yet, I left it on a Friday, and I realized this the next morning. By the time I checked the theater the next Monday, it was already gone. Not only did I lose the DS, however, but I also lost my copy of Pokemon Fire Red and Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate which were inserted in the console at the time.  

It's still a fresh scar, especially given how replacements are becoming more and more expensive online.