Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - General Discussion

This is a general thread to discuss Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. This is the ninth major entry in the Ys series--and, also, coming to the Switch! 

Here's the opening--albeit, with annotations Sony added: 

Some questions someone should probably answer: 

What's this game about? 

The basic premise is you play as Adol Christin--protagonist of previous Ys games--as he travels on his new adventure. What new adventure? Getting marooned on a cursed island. 

What's the gameplay like?

It's an action RPG. Dungeon exploration is similar to Zelda--such as mid-dungeon 'adventure' items used to help getting around---but a combat system closer to Tales with strong emphasis on evasion. At least, that's how I'd describe it. 

What systems is this game for?

Currently out for PS4, Switch, PS Vita, and only technically PC. 

Should I play previous Ys games?

Yes, because Falcom needs all the love it can get. As far as story is concerned, you absolutely do not need to play previous Ys games. If, however, you want to try previous Ys games to get a feel for the series, all but IV and V, are on PC via both GOG and/or Steam. Ys I+II are only for the feint of heart--they're haven't aged well--but the other games (Origin, Oath in Falghana, Ark of Napishtim, and Seven) are worth checking out. 

Is there a definitive version?

Playstation 4 version. Nintendo Switch isn't, well, a port deserving of any accolades but it's still a functional alternative; the PC version isn't even functional. Vita lacks content of the other three versions but is otherwise playable.

Additionally, Falcom did the PS4 port but were not responsible for the Switch/PC port, which is in part why the Switch/PC port aren't comparable to the PS4 port. 

Is this game's translation that bad?

When the game was first released, there was a lot of noise created about its then shoddy translation. So much noise, in fact, NISA has to retranslate the entire thing! The general consensus is while improved, it's still a NISA-quality job (read: kind of shoddy but functional). 

Discuss!

Edited by Sidon

The games translation is such a weird topic. Nothing I seen from the original really seem that bad. I feel like if they complain on that so bad why didn't know no one speak up from Aksys who did Tokyo Xanadu? I guess that's a conversation for another day, I suppose.

Currently going through the Vita version and I might pick up the Switch version depending on how it turns out.

3 hours ago, DivineTrinity said:

The games translation is such a weird topic. Nothing I seen from the original really seem that bad. I feel like if they complain on that so bad why didn't know no one speak up from Aksys who did Tokyo Xanadu? I guess that's a conversation for another day, I suppose.

Currently going through the Vita version and I might pick up the Switch version depending on how it turns out.

if i were to guess:

• Aksys touched up the translation between Vita and PS4 versions of Tokyo Xanadu--I think this is the main reasons the PS4 and Vita versions were nearly six months apart here. 
  • Expectations. While Aksys isn't really known for quality, they're generally seen as serviceable--NISA is seen as one of the worst localizers. I'm going through Blazblue right now, and Aksys seems to have done an alright job here, for what that's worth.
  • Lol nobody played Tokyo Xanadu, esp. the Vita version. Which is a shame, since it's actually a pretty good game--it's like Persona but streamlined into a 30-40 hour adventure instead of a 70 hour one.

But yeah, from what I can tell, Tokyo Xanadu Vita's translation was terrible. I played through eX+ and nothing stood out to me--except no English dub--but I'm also surprisingly bad at spotting bad translations. 

I'm actually pretty interested in the game. Saw the trailer from the mini direct last month and saw it was an action rpg. Was hooked on getting it when it comes out. 

Played the demo on the PS4 I got from an online friend a few weeks ago and liked how it played. It'll probably be a day one buy for the Switch version for me.

I'm actually mildly interested in this myself since I do enjoy Ys and the new one looks fancy. The several delays with the PC version is concerning though, I hope it turns out alright since that's the version I'm most interested in. If not, then I can only hope the Switch release will be fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, the PC port came out today and it's being heavily panned for being terribly unoptimized, even being compared to the infamous Dark Souls 1 PC port. That's a damn shame. I suppose mods could eventually iron some things out but this still really sucks.

• 1 month later...

Dropping in to share RPGSite's E3 experience with Ys VIII switch. 

https://www.rpgsite.net/preview/7342-ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-nintendo-switch-impressions-from-e3-2018

As for the title's performance - the game runs at 720p/30FPS in both Handheld and Docked mode, otherwise the game looks remarkably similar to the title on PlayStation 4. The controls are snappy, responsive, and during the duration of my demo I didn't run into any glaring issues or bugs. Handheld mode ran more or less flawlessly for the spec, though admittedly I didn't get the oppurtunity to push the game to its limits with the previously PlayStation 4/PC version exclusive content. What I did notice, however, was a worrying trend with the game in docked mode. It ran fine for the most part - but it felt like the game either had some framerate drops or framepacing issues when docked. A little baffling considering that the game runs with the same resolution and target framerate while in Handheld mode.

Edited by KefkaFFVI

I think my bro played the demo for this and I watched him.  Looked pretty good and if he decides to go for it this game will be the first in the series we've experienced.  I remember the first time I heard of this series was from NintendoElder who was one of the Sage Rank members on Nsider.  He was a huge fan of it and every now and then would talk about it.

57 minutes ago, The Krazy One said:

I got it from Best Buy earlier today. Won't have time to play it until Thursday though. Comes with a map of the island/poster of Dana, 3 collectors cards and has a reversible cover.

I'd recommend against using the map during the game; it's meant to be a nonlinear experience and the ingame map is pretty legit.