Fire Emblem Cipher: Series 12

Chrom

DWtHSvdVoAAOITg.png:small

A new card for Marcia, as a Seraph Knight. Not only that, but it's an SR! I'm a fan of the art too.

I like the way this card works because she also doubles as a healer for your leader. Someone like Ike or Micaiah can especially benefit from Marcia because they have skills which depend on how many copies of themselves they have underneath, and as their stack grows Marcia's healing costs less, which is great.

DW8kAu2VMAAI-zp.png

Say'ri gets two new cards, both drawn by an illustrator who hadn't contributed since the very first set, Mari Shimazaki.

Personally, I'm not too excited over what she does, as she basically just makes it easier to have extra copies of her in hand and little else, but I have to say I enjoy the detail in her N card's art, where her home in Chon'sin appears to have a map of Valm in the background. Just a small touch that I find worth appreciating.

DXBtxFiXkAEjaDj.png:small

Makalov makes his debut in FE Cipher. On one hand, this card isn't particularly good, but on the other, it is fairly accurate to his character, which is neat. He's very lazy and won't fight often, and has a gambling problem where he can risk hand discards in order to have the opponent do the same depending on what's on the top of their deck.

He was also illustrated by Tetsu Kurosawa, which if you had told me beforehand I wouldn't believe you. I've never seen them draw a guy like this before, but I think they did him justice.

DXG3L1oXcAAXF0X.png:small

Lachesis gets an SR this set! Personally, I greatly prefer her older art from Series 6, but this isn't all too bad. The giant horse is kind of weird though. Maybe that's just me.

The way the new Lachesis works makes her a great card to support Eldigan, but otherwise she doesn't really stand out.

DXMAmKMV4AAVaU_.png:small

Volke returns in FE Cipher after a long absence. No job is too much for him as long as he is paid well in return. His techniques are quite lethal, ensuring certain kills with Lethality. Though his prices are heavy, Volke's role in green decks is unique and not to be underestimated.

In related news, these new store posters confirm that Tiki will be making an appearance this set! I'm pretty sure that art hasn't been seen before. I really like it.

DXRRQhnUMAAall5.png:small

Lucina's cards for her new art is finally revealed! Apparently she is only of R rarity, which surprises me personally as I suspected this would've been SR. I wonder what this mean the other blue SR cards could be?

I think this card will be popular more for the character and art than what it actually does. Her pull option is very serviceable, but I don't find it particularly stellar either.

With Cipher Sai West happening, I thought I'd share something neat that just recently came up!

The full art of the new Tiki and Nowi promos have been shared by the illustrator, Saori Toyota. There are so many little details to it, I love it.

On a similar note, FE Cipher illustrator Yugo Okuma, who recently made their debut in FE Heroes with Fallen Robin and has been doodling art pertaining to that, also shared this line art of their Eldigan from Series 6. Really cool to see them share this!

DXgnj6hVoAAm8gt.png:small

Beowulf joins FE Cipher! His R card is actually kind of cool mechanically because it lets him attack up to four times in one turn (provided he has the necessary bonds to pay for), which is a throwback to his signature Accost skill. Not really an incredible ability within FE Cipher as it's very gimmicky, but it's a nice reference to that.

Also I was checking around for any photos of artworks at Cipher Sai but couldn't find anything new. There are some nice shots of Fjorm and company though.

Edit: Tetsu Kurosawa has just been announced to make a guest appearance in this month's livestream as well.

Edited by Chrom

DXq6QN-WAAEqQ2c.png:small

Oifey makes a full-fledged appearance in FE Cipher! His younger self wasn't playable in the original game, but now he is here. He doesn't really fight at his young age, but he does lend his tactical advice to support others. It carries on as he grows older as a paladin, as his fealty to both Sigurd and Seliph remain. I feel it's a lot better than his old card from Series 8, which was a super generic Jagen-type card which nothing home to write about.

In related news, Yugo Okuma also shared another look at a rough draft for one of his earlier FE Cipher pieces, the chibi Xander promo he did for Series 7. It's a unique take on the character, starkly contrasted from how he usually draws or how Xander is typically depicted. This style was used for a Ryoma card once too, though that's not pictured here.

DXwCmG_VAAAvQmU.png:small

Three new cards have been revealed for FE Cipher today, belonging to two characters from Tellius: Ashnard and Rajaion!

Ashnard, the crazed power-hungry ruler, debuts in the TCG showing no hesitation to strive for his thirst for might. His skills include destroying others, especially the weak, to gain power, and he brings his sword Gurgurant to oppress the playing field from wherever he stands. Rajaion, the laguz who also serves as Ashnard's mount, is designed to be played in tandem with him (as without Ashnard, he can't even dodge attacks). Overall, both characters are represented really well in the card game in my opinion and it's great to have them continue to flesh out the roster this set.

DX1ThYcVQAEScEG.png

This week of card reveals ends with Nowi SR by Kawasumi. I personally think the art is very cute.

It doesn't work too differently from her past cards, but this Nowi is able to retrieve bonds to the hand earlier, opening new options for plays in blue decks.

DX16fKFVAAA7HfV?format=png

DX16friVQAIGijT?format=png

DX16gPpVQAASZF-?format=png

In related news, they've revealed the bonus contents of the Series 12 booster box! Really nice to see Fjorm and Laevatein cards.

This may or may not be notable.

With Cipher Sai East going on this weekend, the official FE Warriors Twitter has announced that Yosuke Hayashi, the producer of FE Warriors from Koei Tecmo, will be attending.

I find this interesting because 1) this is being made known first through this channel and not from the FE Cipher Twitter or website, 2) Yosuke Kinoshita's appearance (different guy from Koei Tecmo, FE Warriors sound director) didn't get this much attention, and 3) they even say there might even be a surprise from him during the talk show segment (translation: there's totally gonna be a surprise of some kind).

Not that I expect much, but I'm curious what they're planning here. Could this mean there'll be an announcement relating to FE Warriors here? At that point it may not be terribly relevant to FE Cipher, but it's kinda neat to see them interact like this. There is also FE Heroes datamine info suggesting we're actually getting the FE Awakening DLC very soon (as in sooner than we're expecting), and FE Warriors very recently received a mysterious "blank" software update...but again, I digress. I hope the last half of Cipher Sai goes swimmingly!

Okay so it doesn't seem like that resulted in anything of note given that Cipher Sai's over now (though it's not clear to me what exactly was the surprise they were referring to). No big deal I suppose.

DX-g71XVMAAwOgu.jpg

In any case, we did get to see something notable after all! New Lyn artwork has been spotted. This is said to be for one of the tourney promos for Series 13 in July (not to be confused with the S12 tourney promos we should be expecting in April, I don't believe we've seen anything known to be from that yet). Of course, Series 13 is the set to feature FE Blazing Blade, so Lyn's appearance is not much of a surprise.

Until then, Series 12 will be out in Japan later this month on the 22nd, preceded by another livestream next weekend on the 17th!

Edit: I dug into what exactly the surprise was, and it was apparently gameplay footage of Tharja in FE Warriors. They also supposedly said it's due for release on the 29th of this month if I am understanding correctly. Again, not very relevant to FE Cipher, but I thought I'd help elucidate what they talked about at Cipher Sai.

Edited by Chrom

DYE39E6V4AARNTZ.png

Two new cards for Sigurd have been shown off today, both illustrated by Mayo. Though Sigurd is the main protagonist in this story, he's taking a step back for this set.

I really like what these two cards depict, they're actually supposed to be the scenes when Arvis gives him the Silver Sword and when Eldigan and his Cross Knights fight him in Chapter 3, both very memorable scenes, at least to me.

DYFI7N0U8AAIcrV?format=jpg

Edit: Also a look at an ad for Series 13!

Edited by Chrom

DYJzubvVQAAgw-3.png:small

A look at another pair of cards for Elena and Greil, this time depicting the other side of their fate.

Focusing on Greil first, as the canonical individual who suffers grief by touching the medallion, it makes a lot of sense for him to get a card this way. Not really surprising it exists unlike Berserk Ike. He even plays a bit similarly to Vanguard Ike, with an effect that emulates Ike's Aether effect with no cost to it. The catch of course is that Berserk Greil is on such a rampage that he forcibly destroys himself and another ally at the end of each turn, so he can't last very long.

As a parallel to Mist, Elena's new card comes with an effect to help ward off Berserk Greil's auto destruction effect, though not entirely since she can only protect one ally at a time (Greil destroys himself and one other). Overall though, I think Ike and Mist are more effective at what they do, but Elena and Greil provide another alternative that can be helpful for green decks utilizing more brutish tactics.

DYO9UgpXUAAOAIY.png:small

The debut of Walhart and Excellus in FE Cipher this set brings in an important theme in mind: the reign of overwhelming power.

To reflect Walhart's huge strength, his SR is designed to give him a respectable boost if he faces anyone up front, and capitalizes it by preventing anyone from trying to hide in the rear. Excellus, Walhart's advisor, is a support card who aids Walhart by maintaining keeping enemies up front for him to slay, though outside of this niche he isn't particularly outstanding. Overall, a good pair of cards who like to go together. Anyone who plays Walhart will definitely want Excellus too.

Walhart might be my favorite villain in FE Awakening, so I'm pretty pleased with his FE Cipher appearance. Cool to see him get an SR too.