Ice Dragon Temple - N4A Chat Thread, Feb. 2018

Tyranogre

I say we do a Zelda thread because:

1) We're a Nintendo-themed forum and haven't had a single Zelda-themed thread yet, despite having three goddamn FE threads.

2) We're coming up on the one-year anniversary of Breath of the Wild in March.

3) The color green reminds me of Zelda and March also has the most important holiday of the year, St. Patrick's Day.

Btw. Cool story today: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/a-potentially-game-changing-message-from-the-dawn-of-time/

Really shines light on some dark matter. 

tl;dr version: astronomers have imaged early universe. Than it itself is interesting, but the real surprise is that the early universe appears cooler (i.e. less hot) than expected with a possible implication being dark matter, under special circumstances, can interact with the electromagnetic force. Dark matter is normally thought of as matter that interacts gravitationally, not electromagnetically, which is why this story might be kind of a big deal.

Edit: Correction, the story claims dark matter interacts non-gravitationally, not necessarily electromagnetically. I.e. strong/weak nuclear interactions might be the appropriate force. 

Edited by Adol
3 hours ago, Adol said:

Btw. Cool story today: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/a-potentially-game-changing-message-from-the-dawn-of-time/

Really shines light on some dark matter. 

tl;dr version: astronomers have imaged early universe. Than it itself is interesting, but the real surprise is that the early universe appears cooler (i.e. less hot) than expected with a possible implication being dark matter, under special circumstances, can interact with the electromagnetic force. Dark matter is normally thought of as matter that interacts gravitationally, not electromagnetically, which is why this story might be kind of a big deal.

Edit: Correction, the story claims dark matter interacts non-gravitationally, not necessarily electromagnetically. I.e. strong/weak nuclear interactions might be the appropriate force. 

But when does it get to the part where it possesses King Dedede and turns into an aborted fetus with a bloody eyeball for a head?

I haven't played enough kirby games to get that reference so... uhh....

it's actually worse. Superstar DS is the only kirby game I've played to completion.

Also, I don't know if I'll be getting a switch anytime soon but part of me is thinking about it. There's a few minor questions I have that matter to me though:

1.) Assuming I go full digital, how necessary is an SD card? And if necessary, would a 64GB be sufficient? note: I won't get xeno 2 or BotW digitally as I'll have access to physical copies of those games (specifically games, not console) in summer no matter what.  

2.) How's installing the microSD card? The N3DS's 'need that one screwdriver' method was awful, and I don't wanna deal with that again. 

3.) How's the battery life? Suppose I'm playing at moderate brightness and no wifi, since my long commute is where I'll play most of the games. Can there be one hour of playing, followed by 6-7 hours in sleep mode, plus one more hour playing without any serious risk of running out of juice? 

so, if someone here could answer that, that'd be great. 

Edited by Adol
1 hour ago, Adol said:

1.) Assuming I go full digital, how necessary is an SD card? And if necessary, would a 64GB be sufficient? note: I won't get xeno 2 or BotW digitally as I'll have access to physical copies of those games (specifically games, not console) in summer no matter what.  

From what I hear, it's pretty much a necessity to get an SD card for a Switch.  As for the size, it depends how many games you expect to get, especially if you plan on getting any multi-plat games.  First-party games and even third-party exclusives will be optimized for the Switch, thus reducing file size greatly.  Multi-platform games, on the other hand, are optimized for one specific console (generally PC) and then modified for other consoles, and those modifications often increase the file size.  Some third-party games may require up to 40GB of space, while most first-party games will rarely push over 15GB.

With the 64GB on the microSD and the 24GB of onboard storage (32GB minus about 8GB for OS and stuff from what I've read), you're looking at 88GB total.  As a reference, BotW sits at about 13.4GB before DLC and updates, so you can fit BotW on your system six and a half times with the SD card, and less than twice without it.

I can't comment on the other points because I don't own a Switch yet.

• Chrom locked and unpinned this topic