First Look at Nintendo Labo

Definitely not what I expected. I had some anticipation that it would be some kind of new peripheral device simply seeing comments from Kimishima lately that coincides a lot with the kind of things Iwata used to talk about with chasing new ideas for audience expansion and all that jazz.  Reports of it being something kid oriented not long before the video went up pretty much solidified that but I definitely didn't see this coming. 

2 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I mean if you look at some of the toys they're making for kids these days there's definitely a shift towards building the grassroots knowledge of basic programming and engineering, prepping the workforce of tomorrow to function alongside an automated world that will need these skills. Something not many of us had when we were quite young as from Lego et al.

Pretty much where my mind went when I first saw the video for LABO.

It's pretty cool how it all works though and sort of jumps into that same kind of market that I've personally seeing advancing having worked in a toy store. Stuff like the KANO kits, Osmo and to a lesser extent Fisher Price has this Caterpillar toy with detachable segments that allows even preschoolers a rudimentary method to understanding how movements with the toy works. When I was a kid I had one of those circuit board kits where you could attach/connect wires to different nodes to create hundreds of different "projects" from a light that blinks everytime a noise is made or even like a trip wire alarm and stuff like that.  I don't know if LABO necessarily fits into the same category but it seems to be since it's not just something that people can build and play with but it also allows them to see and understand how it all works.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:48 AM, Eliwoodman12 said:

It really still is cardboard to me. But my mind is more blown at the capability of these joy cons. No wonder why they are expensive!

Hopefully this game justifies the price of the joy-cons and that Nintendo finally coming up with dope concepts for their console that won't go to the wayside.

Like I got over the prices of the joy-con, simply because how small they are and how much technology is put in them. We're more so paying the form factor then the tech inside.

Edited by DLurkster

From what I heard, the assembly time for each Labo set differs. The little scuttlebug-type things and the remote control take about 15 minutes to assemble whereas the piano takes roughly two hours to build. Hard to see a child keeping their attention for two hours (or more should their comprehension of detailed instructions be either good or bad) to build something as "simple" as a piano in comparison to the robot with its string-attached hands/feet/backback (guessing 3 or 4 hours for assembly).

Yeah, it sucks for it to take that much time to build bigger toys but I think what matter most is the time to play the games with the toys. But then again, that all depends on child attention with the game. So that can another wrench if these are shallow experiences, which I suspect they are so I really hope there are more toy sets to off set this if possible.

I think building and decorating the toys is an integral part of the experience. Kids already work on home projects that can't always be completed in minutes (anyone ever build a birdhouse?). I don't think time is an enemy here.

Sure, the goal is to get to the game, but building a toy is a different kind of game on its own. 

For what it's worth, as a kid, I would have definitely loved the Labo projects that require lots of building time, and those are the ones that intrigue me the most as an adult, too. I used to spend hours with my grandfather building erector sets, or on my own building with legos. There are definitely a fair amount of kids that see the building aspect as a fair amount of fun and not just a means to an end. Kids that aren't as into building stuff and just want the end result will probably be happier with the easier products.

• Chrom featured this topic

Nintendo is crazy in the best way. 

I'm worried about the amount of content to the software, but Nintendo has never really been one to skimp in that department.

I'm also worried about finding room for all of these cardboard creations.

Beyond that, I'm in. There's a chance that I won't get much value from any of it, but even then I'm happy to support such a new and good idea.

1 hour ago, The_Fool said:

I'm also worried about finding room for all of these cardboard creations.

Worst case scenario, unfold and break them down when you're not using them. Outside the one kit that is just the robot, these don't look terribly complex. I know Surge said earlier that these kits can take between 15 minutes and two hours to build, but I don't see any of these (again, except the robot) taking more than ten minutes for initial setup.

3 hours ago, Reilly said:

Worst case scenario, unfold and break them down when you're not using them. Outside the one kit that is just the robot, these don't look terribly complex. I know Surge said earlier that these kits can take between 15 minutes and two hours to build, but I don't see any of these (again, except the robot) taking more than ten minutes for initial setup.

My concern is that if you actually enjoy them enough that you want them to stick around, you'll probably end up using tape to make them more robust.

The only people for whom disassembly for storage would be a practical solution is for those least likely to ever put it back together again.

Edited by CHAINMAILLEKID