Nintendo Direct Mini 1.11.18

Chrom

12 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I got the original Hyrule Warriors and its DLC pack.  I liked the game but hit a wall with the Death Mountain stage and never went back to it.  I seriously doubt I'd double dip.  I would have almost traded off the original I have but with money also tied up in DLC I don't think I will.

I have the Super Extreme Japanese-exclusive bundles for BOTH WiiU and 3DS versions

English versions of both games

DLC season passes for both games

Still considering getting this

2 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I didn't realize the Ys franchise was still going.

It's had something of a resurgence on Stream and Vita. Practically the entire franchise is now available on those consoles.

Not the most exciting Direct, but that's fine. I have my eye on Celese right now. It looks like a fun indie game, and it's right around the corner. I will probably grab The World Ends with You and maybe Dark Souls, but that'll depend.

Edited by Namevah
2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I got the original Hyrule Warriors and its DLC pack.  I liked the game but hit a wall with the Death Mountain stage and never went back to it.  I seriously doubt I'd double dip.  I would have almost traded off the original I have but with money also tied up in DLC I don't think I will.

I hit that wall on 2nd playthrough on the 3DS. I don't remember experiencing on the Wii U so that was weird to me but I managed to pus through and finish that and the additional story with Linkle.

As for if I purchasing it 3rd time. I'm gonna buy it regardless, I'm not sure if I'm bad Steve but it's gonna be bought again.

Well, this is a surprise. Some cool stuff here, though nothing I'm out of my mind about. I was really hoping for some Fire Emblem or Metroid Prime info, or maybe the announcement of Kid Icarus Uprising HD. 

The World Ends With You was always a game I'd meant to get around to but never actually did. I wonder how they're going to tackle the two-screen combat in off-TV mode, though?

Nothing groundbreaking in Kirby Star Allies, though it seems to be shaping up to be another well-made but incredibly easy 2D platformer. I dunno, these standard 2D Kirby games have become sort of the comfort food of gaming for me- I go through them once and forget all about them. They just play things really safe, and I used to love seeing Kirby try crazy new things, like Air Ride and Tilt n' Tumble. Battle Royale looks way more interesting right now. You know what I'd love to see? A Kirby 3D platformer in the vein of Super Mario 64, complete with Air Ride-style warpstar levels.

Mario Tennis Aces has the potential to be the return to form I've wanted from the Mario Tennis series since Power Tour. Though I want a player character for the story mode, and it seems like it'll have you playing as the Mario cast instead. Still, I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on this one.

Ys VIII seems pretty interesting, though I don't know much about the series. A quick Google search indicates that people generally seem to like this entry on other platforms. I'm always down to try out a new RPG. Though I guess there's really no reason to wait for the Switch version. 

I haven't gotten around to Tropical Freeze yet, either, and Funky Kong is enough to entice me to go for the Switch version. I'm looking forward to that for sure. And I don't really have an opinion on Dark Souls, but I'm sure it'll make a lot of people happy. Overall, I'm pretty lukewarm about the Direct. Though these days I'm increasingly harder to impress. 

TWEWY - Never played, always wanted to.  Will now.
Mario Tennis Aces - It looks like they're putting honest-to-god effort into this game, and if actual impressions of the game look positive I will probably buy.  Haven't bought a Mario Tennis game since GameCube.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - I would consider buying it at a lower price point, given I already have the Wii U version.  Funky Mode seems okay.  They should have also had Donkey Kong Country Returns HD w/ the 3DS content.
SNK Heroines - On my radar.
Pokken Tournament DX DLC - Somewhat surprising.  I don't have this game though.
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - Pleased to see it exists, surprised it's coming so soon after Fire Emblem Warriors.  Miiiiight pick it up.  I like that it has all DLC and 3DS content, but I got burned out on the original Hyrule Warriors after the first Adventure Map, so who knows if I'd even get to any of the new content in the definitive edition.
Super Mario Odyssey update - It looks...fine.  Hoping for more in the future though.  I'm kinda guessing there won't be an Isle Delfino level DLC now since they're using the costume in this update, but who knows.
Mario + Rabbids DLC - Again, seems fine, don't have the game (yet?).
Ys VIII - I don't play this series, but good to see it's on Switch.
Dark Souls - Cool, but I don't care personally.

Now, that I'm home and in no order of presentation or most like games:

Mario Tennis Aces: I always like to give these titles a chance but there last iteration burn me. (notice there isn't a port of their last game coming to Switch. Good) The only real thing turning me off is the graphical look of the game. Ultra Smash may stuck gameplay wise but it is a pretty game. Don't get me wrong this game is but I feel it could use a little polish. It's weird say I expect the game to look really pretty but if Mario Tennis can look pretty why no go as far as it can go. Also......Camelot just gives us Golden Sun 4 already.

Super Mario Odyssey: Cool content update, don't own the game yet.

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition: JUST GET!

TWEWY: Pretty much what Cryptic said, only that I exposure I got with these characters was on KH: 3D.

Kirby Star Allies: The little that was show here, I'll get this game.

Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze: I already own on Wii U and I don't plan to get on Switch. Wait, who's porting this game and don't tell me it's Retro Studios?!? They have to tell us soon what these are working soon, right?

SNK Heroines: Not that interested.

Mario + Rabbids story DLC: I don not have the game, plan to get the and the DLC even before this part of the DLC was shown.

Pokken Tournament DX DLC: I'm getting this game anyways so cool there's DLC.

YS VIII: Game looks interesting since I don't know much about, the look of this game is turning me off. It's sort of like when ppl wonder why ppl bought Symphonia Chronicles for PS3 when the game looks really dated. I didn't for the looks per se but the story, less so the gameplay. So I don't know a lot about the series to take dive, that look of game makes me look the other way.

Dark Souls Remastered: Awesome this coming, never played the series might pick this up.

Dragon Quest Builders Demo: DLing as we speak.

Payday 2: Cool it's coming but no interest. Nice first exclusive content.

Fe: Will probably get (yeah I buy EA game rarely)

Celeste: I've been waiting for this game to release, glad it's almost here.

34 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

I’m glad Tropical Freeze got ported. Was waiting for that to happen, though still feel I’m good with my Wii U copy. Funky Kong being like another easy mode of sorts doesn’t really entice me to get it again.

Now to wait for the Star Fox Zero port with fixed controls...

The way I look at the 'get a Wii U port pass to Switch' is it has to be game that ppl weren't mixed or out right hated, like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash or Paper Mario Color Splash. It's funny how no wants a port of these games and ppl nicknamed these trash at the end of their game names, lol.

SNK Heroines left me with the best impression during the Direct. One of the best things about ARMS is its female cast, so I'm down for a fighting game with a completely female roster. The fan service that I saw also helps in making this a must have for me.

Kirby Star Allies, as someone who hasn't played a 2D Kirby game since Squeak Squad, looks very appealing to me. I plan to purchase the game, and possibly enjoy the game in table top mode with my little sister. I think this will be a fun, creative co-op game with a casual difficulty.

I'm glad I only had an interest in Hyrule Warriors and did not get any previous release. I would say I'm definitely leaning towards buying the definitive edition.

I would buy Tropical Freeze and DKC Returns for the Swtich as a collection release, much like the upcoming release of Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2. I'm not interested in only one in spite of how impressive Tropical Freeze alone is. Funky Kong being an overpowered, easy mode character doesn't do anything for me personally.

When I saw the Super Mario Odyssey footage with Luigi, I thought that Nintendo was adding co-op to the game. I don't mind the game basically adding player generated speed run Power Moons to the game for free in the form of balloons. I do think though that if the Power Moon fatigue hasn't set in for some, it will now. @Cryptic has the best idea I've seen for SMO DLC, add Isle Delfino. I'm fine paying for that.

I skipped Pokken Tournament DX due to the roster. I still don't want to get the game on Switch. The game released in July and January is the first new fighter update, and it's not for free. When they were saying "waves," I was under the impression that multiple fighters would be added per wave. I guess ARMS spoiled me with its free updates to close out 2017. The paid DLC does bring the roster to 24 by March I believe, which is good. I would like to see more and I'm curious about the pricing.

The Mario Tennis Aces game looks pretty solid. If the court variations are not just for different scenarios in the Story Mode, which is a great addition, I will be picking this up. I thought Ultra Smash was a well made game in terms of mechanics, but fell flat in terms of variety and personality. If Aces gets that corrected, I'm all for it.

Dark Souls didn't really excite me as a closure to the first Direct of the year. It's a good third party game for Nintendo to have on the system, but I think it would have been nicer to reveal it right before another Nintendo title. I was thinking both Fire Emblem and Metroid Prime 4 before I saw the fire go around the sword with the hand looming above. I've seen gameplay for the series, but I think its difficulty would turn me off too quickly to put money on the game.

TWEYW: Got this game for the DS. Liked it but never got far enough. Don't think I would buy it again when I already have it.

Pokken: Already have on the Wii U. Probably won't get this game unless I find a really good deal on it. 

Kirby: One of the highlights from this direct for me. Glad to see it coming sooner than later. I know there are no challenges when it comes to Kirby games, but I hope this one has some harder modes and more to it. 

Hyrule Warriors: Wow they really did this. I'd figure with Fire Emblem Warriors on Switch they would leave that out to get the shine. Already have it on Wii U. Won't be getting it. 

Mario Tennis Aces: Looks like Nintendo listened to its fans and feedback about wanting a story mode, and the lack of modes in the last Mario Tennis. I will be picking this game up. I skipped the Wii U version because of the price tag. I'm aware that it's two different games and I'm glad. 

Ys VIII: Kind of familiar with the franchise. Didn't know they were making games still for it but it's a nice edition. Probably won't get it because I would rather play through the series first.

Mario Odyssey: I like the DLC. It's pretty cool. I hope they do a sandbox type dlc where the players can hide/battle each other kind of like DK64 eventually. Didn't expect Mario to get DLC to begin with. 

SNK Heroines: Looks pretty. Not big into fighters though.

Mario and Rabbids: DK!!! Another reason to get this game. I'll pick it up eventually. I'm pretty sure there will be a price drop to at some point. Black Friday it was on sale but missed the chance to grab it.

PAYDAY 2: Not familiar with the games. I would like to try a demo first.

FE: Game looks absolutely beautiful. I will probably pick this up. Want to see more.

Celeste: Game looks fun but has that Shovel Knight style of difficulty. If the price is reasonable I'll give it a shot.

DK Tropical Freeze: Have it on the Wii U. Was still planning on going back to finish it. Will probably do that. Despite Funky being my favorite character, I would have preferred a new third game in this Country trilogy. Won't be getting it.

Dark Souls: Never played it. Kind of bummed this was the big reveal. But I may give it a shot, but if it's been out all these years, I can probably find it cheap so I don't pay 60 for the Switch version.

As you can see, I'm not big into ports and DLC, which is what this mini direct pretty much was. I really hope they emptied the cylinders and there will be no more ports from the Wii U. Us Wii U owners are really getting the shaft. I get the frustrations for no Smash or AC announcements, but I expect those to be a bigger reveal in a bigger direct or at E3. I think Kirby and Mario Tennis were my favorites of this Direct. Would have preferred a end of the direct footage of MP4 or something. But I'm just nitpicking. I'm glad we are getting anything at all and I'm glad that a lot of people will be able to enjoy these games for the first time. I'm just in the minority of those who have played most if not all of the ports already.

1 hour ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Dark Souls: Never played it. Kind of bummed this was the big reveal. But I may give it a shot, but if it's been out all these years, I can probably find it cheap so I don't pay 60 for the Switch version.

Switch version of DkS is 40 dollars.  And Dark Souls notoriously runs like hot fucking garbage on every platform it's been released on and needed modding intervention to even be playable on the PC.  It's a good candidate for a remaster given how dated the game is, and From Software finally showing Nintendo some support is an enticing prospect for future support.

9 minutes ago, Astlyr said:

Switch version of DkS is 40 dollars.  And Dark Souls notoriously runs like hot fucking garbage on every platform it's been released on and needed modding intervention to even be playable on the PC.  It's a good candidate for a remaster given how dated the game is, and From Software finally showing Nintendo some support is an enticing prospect for future support.

No it is a big deal for Nintendo getting this support. Huge. Hope more comes of it. I guess it comes down to which current version and how different it is say the PS4 remaster for the same price.