First 4 Figures thread

Ridley Prime

R.I.P. wallet... One of the first things I had to say and possibly accept going into 2018. Still don't know for sure 100% if I'm getting yet, but I suspect it'll be finished and released sometime late this year or 2019.

2017_Christmas_Reveal_3.jpg

This can also serve as a general thread for First 4 Figures I suppose, given its history with Metroid which it started out with and first became known for. i.e. Post anything you own related to F4F here.

Edited by Ridley Prime

I check out F4F from time to time, but in general they're not making figures I would be interested in or are out of my price range. Many of their figures now are much bigger than when they started out from what I recall, and the price has gone up with that trend. I own the Prime Gunship, which I would imagine would easily reach $1000 if it were made by them today with their scaling up now. That cost me around ~$250 I think when I got it. $250 is probably my cut off as far as collectible figures go even for products as detailed and accurate as F4F has been making. I would only really consider paying their current pricing if they were to release one of the MPH bounty hunters.

latest?cb=20100216010829

Speaking of which, I got the Prime Gunship because nothing else was available that was referencing what I grew fond of in MPH, and I wasn't able to find this Kanden figure at all. Researching it now, I don't believe they even made the Kanden figure, which was the figure that initially got me to check out F4F. By the time I had more of an interest in Samus Aran's character, the Other M figmas were rolling out and they were a more affordable, adequately detailed option. Additionally, just like the Prime Gunship being labeled as from the first Prime, the game labeling for the Varia Suit Samus I would want would just call back to Echoes or Corruption. While I know the suit is also in MPH, it just doesn't feel as satisfying as it could be.

Like I said though, if there's ever a possibility of one of the MPH bounty hunters, I would look more into F4F as a potential buyer. With Metroid Prime 4 on the horizon, Sylux could become a future figure. I just have to hope that the figure pricing won't be too astronomical and that the design in Prime 4 has plenty of nostalgia for those who made Sylux their Hunter Of Choice in MPH. Not saying the game hinges on that nostalgia, just that a ~$400-500 figure would.

3 hours ago, IU said:

I check out F4F from time to time, but in general they're not making figures I would be interested in or are out of my price range. Many of their figures now are much bigger than when they started out from what I recall, and the price has gone up with that trend. I own the Prime Gunship, which I would imagine would easily reach $1000 if it were made by them today with their scaling up now. That cost me around ~$250 I think when I got it. $250 is probably my cut off as far as collectible figures go even for products as detailed and accurate as F4F has been making. I would only really consider paying their current pricing if they were to release one of the MPH bounty hunters.

latest?cb=20100216010829

Speaking of which, I got the Prime Gunship because nothing else was available that was referencing what I grew fond of in MPH, and I wasn't able to find this Kanden figure at all. Researching it now, I don't believe they even made the Kanden figure, which was the figure that initially got me to check out F4F. By the time I had more of an interest in Samus Aran's character, the Other M figmas were rolling out and they were a more affordable, adequately detailed option. Additionally, just like the Prime Gunship being labeled as from the first Prime, the game labeling for the Varia Suit Samus I would want would just call back to Echoes or Corruption. While I know the suit is also in MPH, it just doesn't feel as satisfying as it could be.

Like I said though, if there's ever a possibility of one of the MPH bounty hunters, I would look more into F4F as a potential buyer. With Metroid Prime 4 on the horizon, Sylux could become a future figure. I just have to hope that the figure pricing won't be too astronomical and that the design in Prime 4 has plenty of nostalgia for those who made Sylux their Hunter Of Choice in MPH. Not saying the game hinges on that nostalgia, just that a ~$400-500 figure would.

It feels crazy to think now that anything by F4F was once in the $250 range. How times have changed... They've certainly gotten more ambitious, though I wonder if making bigger figures with much bigger production costs has paid off, or if they sold more overall when they were still cheaper.

Ah well... Looking back, I still like the Trace figure the best out of the MPH ones they showed, but the Kanden one never getting final approval and released is disturbingly odd. Same could happen to the Meta Ridley for all I know...

Assuming it still gets released, I hope Meta Ridley sells well (whether I end up getting it or not depending on price range), as it was mentioned that other Metroid bosses and creatures would have figures made if it does well. Something outside of Prime for once would be nice though. I don't even blame those who would've rather had the Ridley figure be the classic Super Metroid incarnation or something as opposed to Meta Ridley, excited as I am to see the final product. If they had first conceptualized doing a Ridley figure after Samus Returns, seeing them do a fig of the new half cybernetic form in MSR would've been a good change of scenery, but the Meta form is more of a staple, so I guess they would've went with that anyway.

Back to the MPH hunters, out of them, Sylux would make the most use of F4F's style of lighting with all the neon green, so I'd definitely get behind seeing a fig of him. Although Weavel's still one of my fan favorites, I feel an F4F figure of Noxus or Spire would probably be more interesting to look at with design details, but unless they make any future appearances, Sylux seems the only one to realistically hope for at the moment. Same with like amiibos.

Edited by Ridley Prime

I forgot about the Trace statue. Looking at the base for the prototype image, it looks like he's on Alinos; an added detail I would've loved given how good of a choice he is for areas like Alinos Perch and Alinos Gateway. If F4F were to revisit Trace today though, he would have less to work with in terms of LED use which is a design choice they seem to be pushing right now for their Metroid figures. Kanden would be benefitted by their current direction. I would love to see such a figure with that radiating glow that the hunter has. Sylux or Spire would be the most impressive of the bunch between the former's neon green line work and the latter's crystal formations. Give me a reasonable window between them and I would be willing to drop around $400 for each figure.

I do hope that the Meta Ridley statue does well just to see what Metroid bosses or creatures they decide to work with down the line. I think that the Queen Metroid, based on Samus Returns, would be a very ambitious choice for them while still allowing them to push LED work. It would be an Omega Cannon to one's wallet, but it would be nice to see. The idea of an adult Sheegoth from Prime has been popping into my head too, and should be more affordable. The LED work would come into the eyes and the crystals on its back. I think it could be impressive even if it's not as ambitious of a choice. As one of my favorite creatures in Metroid, I would consider thinking about it and I could see an adult Sheegoth being below $500 even with LED work.

Edited by IU

Didn't have too much left to say at the time after the last posts here, but now that there's been somewhat more of an update, through a friend I know whose part of some F4F forums/group somewhere...

Wasn't aware of it initially, but F4F was only given the official license for the Prime sub-series, which is why you never see them do material for anything Metroid outside of Prime... Would explain a lot, though they did say if they could later get the license for all of Metroid, they'd do stuff of Super Metroid, etc. I'd entertain even the likes of Kraid if it came to that.

Secondly, continuing from what was mentioned before about them doing more figures of other bosses and enemies if Meta Ridley does well (Dark Samus was apparently tease mentioned as an example), apparently the alternative is that if Ridley doesn't do too well, then they would just go back to doing figures of Samus suits and maybe something like a life-sized Metroid... That would be unfortunate, since apart from the Dark Suit in MP2 and the P.E.D. Suit in MP3, they've already done figures of the whole library of Samus's suit variants, along with the Prime series gunship. Even with just the Prime sub-series alone to work with (MPH and everything included, not just the Trilogy), there would still be plenty to do in the long run outside of Samus, so I hope it doesn't come to that, whether I end up getting one of the Meta Ridley's or not.

Other than that, a size/scale comparison for all of F4F's upcoming stuff was also posted... On the left is Prime 3 Samus Varia Suit, and all the way on the right is OG Prime Samus Varia, I believe, and what looks like Breath of the Wild material next to Meta Ridley.

Meta_Ridley_figure_size_comparison.png

That's all for now I guess, but yeah.

Edited by Ridley Prime
  • 10 months later...

Coming back to this again a year later... The rest of Meta Ridley has finally been revealed. He is stated to be the first in the "Metroid villains line",  and that Metroid is open season now.

Will be up for pre-order next Friday, with the prices and everything being revealed by then during their Q&A.

I'll still consider getting the figure depending on things, but being honest I'm not really as invested in it now as I was a few/couple years ago or had it been released earlier. If this was still before Smash Ultimate or Ridley's reveal in it, I think I'd be more excited for this, but I pretty much just got my Ridley amiibo not too long ago which I still haven't even gotten around to unboxing yet, and finally seeing this now, I don't know.

The prices will determine any remaining feelings on this but regardless, I think an alternate Meta Ridley amiibo somewhere down the line would be more reasonable for some at this point. Hope the figure does well in sales though, since F4F will just go back to doing only Samus if it doesn't as aforementioned.

Okay, now that the rest is shown...

I'm surprisingly more considering of getting this now than I previously thought. Glad that both versions of the figure have the wing membranes glow in the dark.

And what's more, both the standard and exclusive edition are $599.99. That's much less than I imagined. They were going to be a lot more expensive, but the guys at F4F figured to lower the price as much as possible so that more Metroid fans and collectors could purchase the figures. It's up for pre-order like a week or so, but whether I end up getting one or not, I appreciate this gesture.

If Meta Rildey is the start, I'm interested to see where F4F goes from here with Metroid's villains. I would think a Kraid and Metroid Prime statue are obvious choices going forward. If I had a girlfriend of a few years that was really into Ridley or general Metroid, I would consider getting this as a gift. Me personally I'm not $600 into Meta Ridley, but for those that are I hope that they can get their hands on this statue.

Edited by IU