Switch: Fastest selling home video game system of all time in U.S.

NoA PR - Nintendo Switch Becomes the Fastest-Selling Home Video Game System of All Time in the U.S.

You can read the full press release at the link but simply put Switch is on fire and Nintendo is eating good with all the fixins'. We're talking beans, greens, potatoes, tomatoes, lamb, ram, hogs... YOU NAME IT!

From launch and through the period comprising its first ten months on the market the Nintendo Switch sold more in that span of time than any other home platform in history.  It even beat out the Wii which sold around four million in the same timeframe. The Wii!  And that one was a monster in and of itself when it hit nearly 12 years ago. (good gosh, its already been nearly 12 years since then!?)

giphy.gif

I am happy with this news.

I have a friend who said something similar to this today: Wii may have sold nearly as many units, but Switch deserves it more.

Wii was successful because it sold Wii Sports to non-gamers. That's not a bad thing; it helped expand the reach of the industry and we're better for it. But Switch has reached a higher mark by being a solid video game device with a strong lineup. And it did it without launching during the holidays.

Nintendo did good 

Wow, I never believed when few analysts thought that the Switch will bring in Wii like numbers but his proves right here that it might have chance do it again and do it right by all and not be fad for those who bough the Wii and never touch the system beyond Wii Sports and Wii Fit..

Like really congrats Nintendo and this feat, you're going places kid.

Also, 12 years, the Wii, it feels like it was yesterday that I bought one. I know when you say out aloud how many years have passed, you realized how really long ago that was but for some reason I don't feel old but I guess that's the Nintendo magic that makes one feel young owning their systems

I'm glad that Nintendo was able to achieve those numbers with the Switch still in its first year. The system does feel both like Nintendo's next generation console and their next generation handheld, and I think many have bought into that unified system under Nintendo. It certainly helps that they really came out strong in terms of software, and some of their bigger hitters, like SMO and BoTW, took those respective series back to where many of the fans wanted for years. I think they will continue to deliver in that regard with a main series Pokémon game and Metroid Prime 4 on the horizon. Complementing their release schedule, third parties have been good to the Switch and the independents have been fantastic. This holiday was the first time I wanted to have eShop cards around to further fill out my Switch experience, something I wasn't too invested in on 3DS and Wii U. It has been great and my gaming is definitely shifting heavily to the platform. I haven't been gaming like this since before I began working full time.

• Chrom featured this topic