The Old Tower - N4A Chat Thread, January 2018

Chrom

21 hours ago, fuzz said:

I did!! I was about to ask you the same. I played yesterday, and it went.. okay.. I think I need to play more sealed deck. It's been a while since I've really been on the limited grind. I went 1-3, played a very very low curve W/B deck with my finishers being Mausoleum Harpies and a Champion of Dusk, most of my deck being 2 drops lol. I think it was a decent deck, but if I didn't swarm the board in the early game to really press that early advantage, it didn't go well for me lol. Back to the drawing board, probably gonna practice a bit on xmage to gear up for a release draft. Hopefully Modern tomorrow will go better! What about you?

good luck!

Mine was on last Sunday, went 4-2 (and I feel a better pilot could have gone 5-1, too, made a few clear mistakes like using Moment of Craving on a Kinijalli's Caller thinking it was a 0/2...) with this janky ass UBgw merfolk/pirates with green splash for Hadana's Climb/double white splash for Azor... Somehow it worked for the most part!

I saw shitloads of nayasaurs and BW vampires / goodstuff around as well.

20 hours ago, fuzz said:

One of us! There's a few of us, me and @Ephraim tend to post back and forth about our weekly tournament goings, but I know @Gold plays EDH and I feel like a few others as well that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Cool, cool! I have way too many Commander decks haha. I rarely play tournaments anymore, I just really haven't had a deck that I'm super amped to play. Maybe UG Merfolk in Standard will change that... I'm not sure though. Or maybe I'll finally get around to updating my Myr Superion brew for Modern :P

15 hours ago, Ephraim said:

good luck!

Mine was on last Sunday, went 4-2 (and I feel a better pilot could have gone 5-1, too, made a few clear mistakes like using Moment of Craving on a Kinijalli's Caller thinking it was a 0/2...) with this janky ass UBgw merfolk/pirates with green splash for Hadana's Climb/double white splash for Azor... Somehow it worked for the most part!

I saw shitloads of nayasaurs and BW vampires / goodstuff around as well.

Haha playing jank and making reeeeeally questionable splashes for your bombs is one of the most fun things to do in prerelease, it usually works out ok, and if it doesn't, it's still fun lmao. I for sure had a few very clear mistakes due to not RTFC. Do yall really play 6 rounds in your pre-release? Ours are always 4, and that's usually long enough for me at ~5hrs. The only events I play in that might last that long are PPTQs.

And thanks! It actually went really well, went 3-1! Lost to Martyr Proc (probably hit him for over 100 in total one game... lifegain is rough lmao), but took down GDS, Soul Sisters, and 5-color Humans. 

12 hours ago, ace said:

God bless the people that made my dinner at Taco Bell tonight. They super overloaded everything and it even looked better than their marketing pictures. 

Dude I swear it makes my day when that shit happens lol. I skate down to the taco bell down the street from my work pretty often, and if I catch them when it's slow, it seems like they'll really stuff em' full.

5 hours ago, subrosian said:

Cool, cool! I have way too many Commander decks haha. I rarely play tournaments anymore, I just really haven't had a deck that I'm super amped to play. Maybe UG Merfolk in Standard will change that... I'm not sure though. Or maybe I'll finally get around to updating my Myr Superion brew for Modern :P

Nice! I play a decent bit of edh here and there, always have another brewing up in the back of my head haha. I think Ephara, God of the Polis might be my next? If you end up jumping into Merfolk lemme know, I play it in Modern :P. Now that Energy in standard has been banned out of contention, merfolk has apparently been running rampant on Magic Online this week, so we've seen some significant spikes in price for all of its pieces. I just want to play fish in any format I can lol, hopefully it pans out to be good!

Oooooh, that would be disgusting off of Aether Vial. Let one of us know if you wanna test it out on Cockatrice! Did you play any particular formats in tournament play?

7 hours ago, fuzz said:

Do yall really play 6 rounds in your pre-release? Ours are always 4, and that's usually long enough for me at ~5hrs. The only events I play in that might last that long are PPTQs.

And thanks! It actually went really well, went 3-1! Lost to Martyr Proc (probably hit him for over 100 in total one game... lifegain is rough lmao), but took down GDS, Soul Sisters, and 5-color Humans. 

Yeah, I was surprised this was 6 rounds as well, last time I played this back home it was 4 rounds only too.

Nice job on the 3-1!

This import/export marketing class was a mistake. The professor is kinda just rambling.

I also noticed the guy that needs to voice his opinion on everything from 4 semesters ago is sitting right behind me. K I L L M E