Video Games Finished in 2018

Gold

I thought The Messenger is a real good successor to Ninja Gaiden. Hard and challenging, but when I accomplished something, it felt genuine. Plus, the soundtrack. Because of one of the features of this game, the music in my opinion is the best part. You cannot lie to me and tell me it’s garbage. I have some of the songs on my mini-lists. That’s how much I like the OST.

Final Post for me up in this thread and it is one of reflection (I encourage us all to share our experiences, that is a big reason we do it is so we can have new experiences from forgotten games).  last year was interesting with the games that I decided to play and the games I did scratch off my backlog.  Unfortunately, it was also one of volatility and futility in equal measures.  My year was not bad (it was actually a very successful year, but that comes with stress) but it was a very busy and unstable year due to me deciding to become a homeowner due to interest rates going up in 2018 (we jumped in right before the Fed started upping them and got a stellar rate) which is a huge milestone. Another milestone is that I graduated college and received my Bachelor's degree last month.  However, working up to the end of the year with it being so busy and chaotic seriously cut into my gaming time.  I was very fortunate that I was able to beat 39 games (would have been 40 had I pushed to get through Mass Effect 2 or Shining Force: Sword of Hajya, but I wanted to catch up on sleep instead).  Looking at the games that I beat in 2018, I find it to be pretty interesting to say the least. 

Obviously there were some retreads, I am going to replay some games every year based on what mood I am in.  However, I find it to be pretty awesome that I did beat quite a few games that I would have never even touched a few years back.  To start off 2018, I beat my first Tales game ever with Tales of the Abyss and although I was not blown away by it like some of my friends were, it was a new experience and it was pretty decent.  I beat the first Bravely Default shortly after that, another game I had never jumped into (and hopefully I can get through Second Layer this year) .  Other major highlights as far as clearing out some of my backlog goes were beating my first Streets of Rage game, Wario Land II, Retro City Rampage, my first Adventure Island title,  Several Mega Man titles I had never played prior (like 7 and 8), and ending the year off with a bang with my first Lolo title and Mass Effect title.  Those were the experiences that stand out the most for me in 2018.  out of the 39 games I  beat last year, 20 of those I had never beaten and many of those I had never even touched or given a chance. 

Although I might not have been very competitive due to time constraints, I think that last year was pretty successful.  I did make a small dent in the backlog.  Still above 50% (stand at 52.6% last I checked but I am sure that will go up once I update with all the crap that I got in the last couple of months and games that are coming out soon).  Still, I remember back when I won Gamer of the Year over on NS2 years ago I had over 70%.  So every year I am making progress but it just doesn't feel like much sometimes.  Now with school being over and getting settled into my new home and Grad School not happening until at least Fall of this year, I should be able to drop the backlog below 50%.  Hopefully I can knock it down to around 40% but we will just see how things go.  

C-24

H-10

PC-2

M

O: 39

2018 games beaten:

1. Tales of the Abyss (3DS)  (2/6/2018)

2. Bravely Default (3DS) (3/12/2018)

3. Donkey Kong Country (SNES Mini) (5/8/2018)

4. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch) (6/20/2018)

5. Final Fantasy VII (PC/Steam) (6/20/2018)

6. Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition (PC/Steam) (8/21/2018)

7. Return of Double Dragon (SNES) (8/24/2018)

8. TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES) (8/30/2018)

9. MMPR: The Movie (SNES) (9/1/2018)

10. MMPR: The Fighting Edition (SNES) (9/3/2018)

11. Mario All Stars: Mario 1 (SNES) (9/4/2018)

12. MMPR: The Movie (Genesis) 9/6/2018

13.  Streets of Rage 3D (3DS) 9/13/2018

14. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS) 9/25/2018

15. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (3DS) 9/26/2018

16. Mega Man 2 (NES) 9/30/2018

17. Mega Man 11 (Switch) 10/7/2018

18. Mega Man 10 (Switch) 10/12/2018

19. Mega Man 9   (Switch) 10/15/2018

20. Mega Man 8   (Switch) 10/18/2018

21. Mega Man 7   (Switch) 10/19/2018

22. Mega Man 6   (Switch) 10/21/2018

23. Mega Man 5   (Switch) 10/22/2018

24. Mega Man 4   (Switch) 10/23/2018

25. Mega Man 3   (Switch) 10/25/2018

26. Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (PS4) 11/4/2018

27. Castlevania IV (SNES) 11/15/2018

28. Castlevania III (NES) 11/16/2018

29. 80's Overdrive (3DS) 11/18/2018

30. Adventure Island 2 (3DS VC) 11/19/2018

31. Retro City Rampage DX (3DS) 11/24/2018

32. Super Dodge Ball (Switch) 11/26/2018

33. Avenging Spirit (3DS VC) 11/26/2018

34. Castlevania The Adventure (3DS VC) 11/26/2018

35. Metroid (3DS VC) 12/2/2018

36. Wario Land 2 (3DS VC) 12/06/2018

37. Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GameBoy) 12/12/2018

38. Mass Effect (PC) 12/20/2018

39. Adventures of Lolo (3DS VC) 12/23/2018

19 hours ago, purple_beard said:

UNLICKED .....

awesome;:Psmirk2;coolkong;

My one lament in 2018 was that I didn't get the 4th chapters completed in Octopath Traveler.

I feel you on the lament of Octopath.  I got I think like 5 out of 8 done as far as stories go?  Then I have heard that the "big bad" or whatever to truly finish the entire game is a serious mother fucker to beat.  I have several close friends who are some hardcore RPGers and are still trying to take it all down. Octopath will get finished this year, so I can relate.

1 hour ago, XLW said:

That doesn’t count. You saw the credits, you beat the game. That “final boss” doesn’t reward you with anything really good. Skip it.  

Trust me on a player who has attempted to. Dgernygjgrjrhtjrhh that one.

1 hour ago, Irondog666 said:

I feel you on the lament of Octopath.  I got I think like 5 out of 8 done as far as stories go?  Then I have heard that the "big bad" or whatever to truly finish the entire game is a serious mother fucker to beat.  I have several close friends who are some hardcore RPGers and are still trying to take it all down. Octopath will get finished this year, so I can relate.

Basically, in "further reviews of the game," in other words those who FULLY COMPLETED the tasks to achieve the final boss unlock, they have all said the FINAL FINAL BOSS doesn't do much for the entire story even if it does tie up I guess the overarching store line the game is really about completing each characters 4th chapter.  I have completed C3 for everyone and all I have left to do is knock off the C4s for each.  But in looking at the HP they had for some and my lack of some things and what not, the grinding I would want to have done before I went for some of those guys that are the bosses for C4s kind of put me off a little  but I still do want to complete all 8 stories as I found each very entertaining and deep.

Maybe if I get some downtime early in 2019 I can knock off all of that.

Finish the stories at least, because their resolutions are really good. Not spoiling, but I cried, and I cried. Defeating the final final boss just feels empty.  

Octopath isn’t flawless... but it’s on my list of best games since last year. The leitmotifs... in terms of what instrument was fully utilized for each character bring out each of their personalities. Kind of like how they did it for the champions in Breath Of The Wild. As a music guy, Octopath has one of the strongest OSTs of the last year.

Edited by XLW

So, Gold hasn't been on this site for two months. I beat a game currently, and thought about just posting a new 2019 thread, with added challenges that are relevant last and this year (as of now, and only like a few, not a WHOLE lot). I just felt like asking if we should wait, or get the ball rolling. I know there might be some people who defeated games as of yesterday, but there's nothing to do with that.  

I was going to ask a similar thing, actually. I'd like to see this continue into 2019, whether it's hosted by a returning Gold, by me or by someone else entirely. 

By which I mean to say I have no objections to anyone else hosting the thread. I do have a few suggestions for challenges, if you're in need. Some are like those seen in this thread, the other is a "Game of the Month" style challenge in which the host selects a game coming out that month as a Challenge Game worth a bonus point if you beat it. Looking at January, options include No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again, Kingdom Hearts 3, the Resident Evil 2 remake or even New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. 

By all means, go ahead. I'll likely be too busy to care of it anyways. Although, I would like to make a few addendums.  

RULES:
6) Beating a game multiple times in the same year (Ex: again, Star Fox 64), will only count 1 time. This includes the same game on different consoles, remakes, ect. With Nintendo doing stuff like the Octo Expansion and Torna: Golden Country, in the case of new gameplay mechanics and/or a different story all together that can be beaten in the same amount of time or more, this rule has been bended last year. However, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles doesn't count, since both were mean to be a whole game. Discussions will be make when applicable. - (The point was brought up last summer, and Octo Expansion was approved. This begs the question what also could fall under that scope.)

8) Mobile games in the nature of gatcha, slight story, ect such as; Fire Emblem: Heroes, Puzzle & Dragons, Star Wars: Heroes, ect, can all be considered complete after beating all stages. For example, every story mode and paralogue stage in FE, all normal stages in P&D, all light, dark, cantina, and mod battles in SW, ect. These requirements can change if more story missions or stages are added. Just to the conclusion of the story/stories before the current one that has yet to be finished as this day, 1/2/2019.  

Categories:
1) Console Nintendo Switch, Switch eshop and Online games, Xbox One, PS4, PSN, XBLA, Ouya, etc. 

As for some of my challenge ideas: 

Bronze (Worth 1 point each) 

11) Simply spooky and scary- Beat a horror game... Luigi's Mansion games will count (Four games were in my mind. Plus, that "Lovecraftian Horror" challenge might not sit well with all gamers here.) 

12) The power of Disney- Beat a Kingdom Hearts game... or any of the classic Disney games like Ducktales- (Well, we have superhero and Star Wars. Why not complete the trio?) 

Silver (Worth 3 points) 

11) YOU. ARE. DEAD.- Beat a Dark Souls game- ONLY a Dark Souls game, not the equivalent of "Dark Souls of the ------- genre"- Seriously, that's getting OLD - (Dark Souls has been a new measuring stick when it comes to difficulty, why not honor that? Plus, it's on the Switch.)

12) THE ORANGE AND PURPLE CONSPIRACY- Beat the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy or Spyro Reignited Trilogy (ALL THREE GAMES of any collection, and the original games count too) - (I'm glad they're resurrected, but for those who prefer the originals because of complaints again the remakes, I don't want them to be left out.) 

Gold (Worth 5 points)

11) Eight challengers, one big ugly- Beat Octopath Traveler by getting all eight main characters' endings, and then defeat THE TRUE FINAL BOSS   

- (I'm genuinely curious who can, because I still can't do what's in the spoilers.) 

12) I'll have the leftovers! - Beat a Final Fantasy, Sonic, Street Fighter, Bayonetta, and Mega Man game (Or any other franchise that is/will be represented in Smash Ultimate. As long as there are five franchises, and the franchise(s) is/are represented by a fighter themselves- Mii Fighter/Shooter/Brawler costumes DON'T count, and neither do assist trophies) - (We have one based on the roster of the first game, why can't we 1-Up that?) 

Platinum (Worth 10 points)

6) THE ULTIMATE OF SMASHES- Beat Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with the World of Light defeated on any difficulty... and Classic Mode defeated on 9.5 or higher difficulty - (The World of Light takes a considerable long time because all of the challenges, and since 9.9 difficulty has been too far difficult, I think there should be some leniency there.)

7) More than perfect- Beat a game which allows for more than 100% completion, like Donkey Kong Country - (Not including DLC and the like. For those who do this challenge will not get the Perfection challenge as well, since they went past that mark. I only know a few games that do this anyways.)

I want these challenges to be here for at least this year, and they can change when 2020 rolls along. 

Just my thoughts/ideas. 

So I'll post something this evening, after work. 

The only point of clarification I'd ask is regarding challenges: what do folks think of the existing challenges here? Should we recycle the 2018 challenges, or create a whole new batch for 2019? Or a mix? 

I, personally, have no problem letting the existing challenges stand as they are and just adding to them (as XLW does above). And if anyone else has challenge ideas, by all means, do put them forward. 

Challenges haven't gotten much attention in the last couple of years of this—honestly I'd take or leave them at this point. I think one problem with them recently is that there's too much emphasis on beating specific games, so if I don't have that game or even the system it's on I'm just going to ignore the challenges. I think they should be more focused on beating a game in a genre, series, or with some kind of specific feature.

@XLW those are some good challenges though I think too much emphasis on games that came out last year. I completed several of those challenges last year, and while some like SSBU wouldn't be too hard to repeat, I wouldn't want to struggle through Octopath's final boss again.