Video Games Finished in 2018

Gold

Black Friday- Spyro The Dragon for PS4 

Ever since I played Spyro 3 and defeated it about two decades ago, I've never went back to the original Spyro trilogy. The first Spyro is the one I've rented, while the other two are what I bought. With the Reignited Trilogy out, I've always wanted to finally give this game a real shot. During an interview in the peaceful land of dragons, Gnasty Gnorc gets angry when one dragon says he's "simple, no threat, and UGLY" on television. Gnasty proceeds to turn every dragon into crystal, except for Spyro, a small purple dragon. Spyro not only has to de-crystalize his kin, but has to stop Gnasty Gnorc from taking over the world. As someone who loved Spyro 3 and puts in on a pedestal, I love that Spyro 1 is simple in its story. It's been twenty years since, and I must point out that the game is beautiful, and the soundtrack still has the Stewart Copeland feel behind it. (The Police is one of my favorite bands.) And unlike the original, the voice acting for the rescued dragons doesn't sound horrible, even if a few dragons repeat or paraphrase the line "THANK YOU FOR RELEASING ME, SPYRO." Each of them have a different aura to them too, and that mention goes to Spyro as well. As for the controls, Spyro can burn and charge enemies, and can jump, charge, and glide for a certain amount of distance. What threw me off at first was Spyro's bouncy movement, since his movements seemed sharper in the original game. It's not a nitpick, but something unusual I found. Sparx, Spyro's companion, is his life bar. When Spyro is hit, Sparx turns to blue, then green. After that, Sparx dies, and then a life is lost when hit once more. Four chances to be hit. To be honest, it's not a problem. One can easily hit an enemy before they can hit Spyro, and there are different amount of wildlife that provide butterflies, which Sparx can eat to replenish his life. That doesn't mean the game isn't perfect. Landing on certain platforms require the right precise jump and flying and the right elevation. Spyro can lose lots of lives because of those annoying and cheap moments. A few enemies pose a real threat, but controlling Spyro when he's jumping and flying is somehow a little bit worse. The bosses aren't challenging too compared to some of the regular enemies. The first one takes barely any skill at all and is really pathetic. With all of that out of the way, Spyro The Dragon is entertaining to play, even now.

11/26- Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage for PS4 

Immediately after I completed Spyro The Dragon, I played what was argued to be the best Spyro game: the sequel. Unlike the first game and Spyro 3 where I have defeated both games... I have no memory of ever beating Spyro 2. Maybe it's the fact that I held Spyro 3 in high regard that I completely forgot some details of the second game... and the first. So, now that I have finally beaten Spyro 2, how well does the remake stand up? The story begins with Spyro and Sparx roaming in the rain. They plan to have a vacation at Dragon Shores, now that Gnasty Gnorc is gone. But, their plans are interrupted when the Professor (a mole), Hunter (a cheetah), and Elora (a go-faun) activate a portal that sends Spyro to their home of Avalar instead. A sorcerer named Ripto and his goons, Crush and Gulp, find the four, and upon seeing Spyro, Ripto orderes his goons to attack them, because Ripto does not like dragons at all. The portal is broken in the chaos, and Gulp accidentally swallows Ripto's scepter. Ripto and his goons leave the area, and Elora begs Spyro to stop Ripto from taking over Avalar. Because it's his duty as a hero and/or because there's no other way to get to Dragon Shores, Spyro agrees to help. Because the cliffhanger in Spyro The Dragon's epilogue was never followed up in any other games, that's one of the reasons it was never on my Top 100. At least this game has a proper ending with nothing left out. Like before, the graphics and music are really amazing. Spyro 2 has a bit more of storytelling because of the cutscenes that play out when Spyro enters and exists a stage and hub world. But, there was one thing I never put in the Spyro 1 review. Stewart Copeland has an advisory role compared to the original games, and now there is a new composer. I'm glad there's a setting to switch soundtracks, because... some songs have been remade well, but the rest cannot top the originals. And the drums were probably hit the hardest most of all. I don't hate the whole Reignited soundtrack, but I was just disappointed. Another disappointment is the voice acting. The voice acting in the new Spyro The Dragon is a lot better than their counterparts. But, in Spyro 2, some nods and humorous lines were changed for reasonable but not as hilarious voices. One example: the Electrolls, which sounded exactly like SpongeBob Squarepants! Why that decision was made is beyond me. And the Romeo one is not as clever as well. Speaking of characters, I'm still out on Elora's new design and Hunter's new voice acting. Elora looks a bit stranger from what I remember, and Hunter is trying way too hard to sound like Sonic. Moneybags might be better in this game, because he's a lot angrier when the situation calls for it, and he looks not only cute but imposing. Still, nitpicks and grievances aside, everything is about 75% better. So, what about the rest? Spyro can now swim underwater, climb, and headset, even though Moneybags hides those moves behind paywalls. Spyro also has a hover move, which can make him land on platforms a lot better compared to one. Last, the acid spit and shield/invincibility power-ups are the new timing mechanics, like super-charging, super-breath, and flying in the original game. In this game alone, Spyro has to defeat enemies to use their souls to activate such gates. Another thing I forgot to mention was that all three games come with a map, and Sparx can track gems in all three games, not just the second and third this time around. It’s a lot smoother from what I remember in the original game.  The collectibles in this game are orbs and several talisman. The talisman are basically given at the end of the stage, while orbs are usually earned by completing missions. Some are easy to do, while the rest require trial and error. Despite the star system the game provides for each mission, they're not impossible or really difficult. Because there's more variety when it comes to the allies Spyro helps, a player will not know how ridiculous some missions can be. One of the most infamous tasks is the Alchemist one, where the Alchemist takes a long route that is full of enemies that will end the mission when they hit the Alchemist only once, and Hunter's feet is stuck in concrete... for some reason. But, this game is just as easy as the first game. But, thankfully the bosses have a lot going for them this time around and they actually pose a real threat. Granted, this game is possibly similar in game length as the first game, but I still had fun, even more than the first perhaps. But, after I complete Spyro 2... I'm finally going back to one of my favorite games I've waited almost two decades to dive in again.

11/30- Spyro 3 (Year Of The Dragon) for PS4

About two decades ago, I defeated the original Spyro 3. I put it on my Top 100 because I thought it was really great back then. But, it's been twenty years, and I've grown a little bit as a gamer. Has the new Reignited take on my cherished games changed it for the better... or for the worse? The story begins with all of the dragons sleeping in the meadows with the new dragon eggs. A rabbit/bunny girl named Bianca and her henchmen the Rhynocs steal all of the eggs and go back into their holes. But, as Bianca is about to leave, she trips on Hunter's tail, alarming everyone in sight. Bianca enters one of the holes and reports to her leader, The Sorceress, who tells her to make sure no one rescues the dragon eggs on her watch. Zoe, a fairy from the last game, informs the dragons where the eggs currently are. One of the dragons says that the location is The Forgotten Realm, where the dragons used to live. Because of the holes' size, Spyro... and Hunter... are the only ones able to retrieve the eggs. Although The Sorceress is no Ripto, not only does Spyro have to save the inhabitants of each world, but he has to find more of his kin before The Sorceress uses them for power. It's like a combination of 1 and 2's objectives. I'll say it once more, the Spyro trilogy has really great presentation and music. And I've always loved most of the Spyro 3 soundtrack in particular. The cutscenes for each entrances and exits are gone, but there are still story cutscenes and moments. Most of them revolve around Bianca's relationships to The Sorceress, Spyro, and Hunter, the last who... uh... Spyro's still the hero, but the third game is mostly about Bianca's growth as a character. Compared to the last game, I appreciated some of the new begins a bit more. Bianca is cute, The Sorceress is still as weird, Sgt. Byrd and Bentley are adorable, and Agent 9 is wacky as ever. I'm "eh" to Sheila, though. It's about an 80% ratio this time around, with some of the points last time still here. But, like before, what's new? Spyro still has the abilities he acquired in the last game, so to make Moneybags still relevant, Spyro has to pay for certain roadblocks and... the animal buddies. Sheila can kick and pounce, Sgt. Byrd can fly and shoot rockets, Bentley can bash and repel projectiles, and Agent 9 can shoot. Some might say that the variety of the characters should be focused more on quantity, but each character still has platforming mechanics. All of them have different objectives which are either straight-forward or complicated for the sake of an egg, and everyone can jump. Sheila would be close to Mario's style (basic punches and kicking), Bentley to Donkey Kong (hard and heavy hitter), and Sgt. Byrd and Agent 9 to Mega Man (using different weapons to dispose of objects and enemies). Their inclusion expands on movement in 3D, rather than detriments. Dragon eggs are easily collected by going to the end of a stage or looking around and by completing certain missions. It's like how one gets stuff in the last two games. Newer missions are now racing on tracks (with the usual time trials) and controlling Sparx in a top-down shooter. Again, more stuff that enhances replayability. The one thing that is obviously 90s and dated are the skateboard races and time trials. Doing tricks is either hit and miss in this game, and skateboarding is not as cool or hip as it was back then. Still, that's one of my few pet peeves in this game. I think it's middle of the road for difficulty. Some enemies are trickier to defeat, but others still go down way too easy. But, the bosses have definitely stepped up their game. I have yet to get a game over, even though I have less lives than I did at the end of Spyro 2. Spyro 2 and Spyro 3 are really amazing games, and it's hard to know which is better.

12/4- Pokemon Let's Go Eevee for Switch.

The original Pokemon games were the first video games of my childhood. (It was really Poke'mon Red, but shush.) To this day, I owe some of my life because of their importance to me. Maybe things would have been drastically different if I never played them; perhaps I would've been a different person and never played video games! ... I might be slightly thinking too much on those thoughts. When FireRed and LeafGreen came out, I still had a lot of fun with them as I did with the originals. They were updated with Generation I and II's mechanics in mind. Those started the questions of the eventual Gen II and III remakes. As of now it's Generation VII, and an app for phones called Poke'mon Go simplified catching Poke'mon, and as of 2018,  Poke'mon is over 20 years old! Everyone wanted Generation VIII immediately, but in a turn no one saw coming... we got Pokemon Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu, remakes of Poke'mon Yellow that had mechanics from Generation VII... and the convenience of catching from Poke'mon Go. The simplistic nature of catching in Poke'mon Go made fans wary of how easier the game could become, because no one could battle wild Poke'mon anymore. I bought the game because of pure nostalgia, but because I too have a ... long history of Pokemon Go, I was a bit uneasy of whether I should buy it or wait for it to be a Christmas gift. Would the game be... faithful to the experience I had twenty years ago? The story is the same as the original gen's, but there are now some "cutscenes" which highlight some important scenes, like the first encounter with Team Rocket and the first time seeing Oak. If I had one real complaint, it's the rival. He's not Blue/Green/Gary, but some some kid that's awfully friendly and not as bratty as Blue. He's the equivalent of Gen VI and VII rivals. Meanwhile, Blue... is a secondary character, and helps a little bit and challenges the player once in the story. I would like to say whoever is coming with this friendly rivals should be fired. Where have the likes of complex rivals like Gary, Silver, Wally, and Cheren go?! I want legitimate rivals who want to really test my patience. As for the details, it might not be full 3D or whatever, but the locations are spot-on, the Poke'mon look amazing, and people are still as expressive as they can be. It captures the first generation in a charming way. And, seeing Eevee and the Pokemon interact with the environment made me chuckle, like what the Gen II remakes did. The music... is really fantastic. Now, for the most complicated and divisive part: the changed features. First, like I mentioned, there's no more wild Pokemon battles anymore, and the Pokemon don't randomly show up as well. Each Poke'mon in the area pop up in the overworld, and some come with a red or blue aura, which means they're at their shortest or tallest height.  Random battles are no longer a thing... which might be a good thing for those who don't want a Zubat in Mt. Moon or Rock Tunnel. However, Poke'mon Go's method of catching is precisely the method in these games. Throw a ball, and hope that the Pokemon doesn't come out. Except for a few moments, there's no option to fight the wild Poke'mon... which might be a bad thing if it's implemented in the mainstream games from now on. Battling Pokemon meant finding their weaknesses in future battles, gaining EXP, and catching them with iron-clad strategies. Sure, the Poke'mon can move around and "attack", and catching Pokemon in these remakes still rewards players with EXP, but the simplicity of this new system might make catching Poke'mon themselves not as a big ordeal as it once was. There are no more HMs, so Eevee and Pikachu learn secret moves to do what the HMs could do, like swim or fly. (Why Eevee wants to hit a boulder three times its size is beyond me.) Abilities are long gone, and the Pokemon Box is an item now, and not just lying around at the Poke'Centers anymore. Not sure about Pikachu, but Eevee can learn moves that are based on its evolutionary forms with weird names to boot. With the new catching mechanic and Eevee's new arsenal of moves, I was wondering if this game was going to be a breeze. Actually, the game was really difficult at times when I played it. Except for times where my Pokemon did something amazing because of my encouragement, it was hard to take down other trainers' Pokemon at times. To be fair, I might have not trained as hard when some places had a good abundance of trainers. I have other games to play. This is where I am at a crossroads in my heart. As much as the new scenery, music, models, and some moments were amusing to look at, some story elements and some gameplay elements are going to hold this game back. It's not also good that the post-game is not as great compared to the FireRed and LeafGreen games. I wished I had much more fun with this game. It's not bad at all, just a little disappointing.

12/9- Kirby Super Star Ultra for DS  

I've been a fan for a long time ever since Dream Land II came out on the Game Boy to the recent adventures of Kirby Star Allies on the Nintendo Switch. But, I had yet to finish a great deal of Kirby games, which included one of the big ones and one of the fans' favorites of the series: Kirby Super Star. I played the Ultra version because it was portable, the best way Kirby should be played on because Kirby is the mascot of portable gaming. Going back to a game that was made... ten years ago (!), I wanted to ask myself if it works now. The game has a plenty amount of stories. One is a retelling of the first Kirby game, the next is about stopping a bird named Dynablade who cause destructions in Popstar, the third is about Kirby exploring a big cave, the fourth is about stopping Metaknight and his goons from taking over Popstar using his ship Halberd, and the last is about stopping the moon and sun from fighting by asking the power of Nova. While the first and third stories are simple, there are a few plot twists in the second and last, and the fourth has a countdown which makes the stakes higher. And each comes with cutscenes that detail certain events. The detail and music is a lot improved from that of the Game Boy games, and the DS version gives the game a bigger punch. The soundtrack in particular is one of the best in the Kirby lineup, from Meta Knight's Revenge to the last boss of the game. On to the actual game, there are a good amount of subgames, like the stories mentioned, to a few quick ones like the Gourmet Race. Each one has a certain amount of difficulty, like the easy Spring Breeze to the hard Milky Way Wishes, and a different set of objectives and rules, like just completing the basic story of Spring Breeze to not being able to copy enemies' abilities normally in Milky Way Wishes. None of the standard stories are very difficult to beat, but I'll get to why in a moment. Like the last few games, Kirby is able to swallow, inhale, exhale, and copy abilities. But, most of the abilities Kirby get have more move-sets this time around depending on the direction of the D-Pad and the like. The old and newer ones work perfectly... except for the obvious Sleep ability. What would come back in the current Kirby game is the Helper System, where a former enemy known as a Helper is controlled by the AI or a second player. The second player makes or breaks the fun, but in most cases makes the game easier, like the bosses. They can die a lot, but can be revived and made by Kirby throwing away the ability it already has. Most of the puzzles and enemies Kirby faces are simple and easy to beat, with a few being really challenging but fair. Now, the core game is easy, but the extra sub-games, like the True Arena and an Ultra story involving Meta Knight make the remake a bit more difficult. The bosses are harder but grander to beat. Since I know how it feels like in Triple Deluxe, and Star Allies has more content similar to the extra modes of some of the previous games, I'll pass for now. But, this game alone set the standard of the next games' post-game experience as well, as late as ten years later. Heck, some of the other stuff in the original game, like the sub-games and Arena, would be foundations for certain things not only in the next Kirby games but also in the Super Smash Bros. series. I had a lot of fun finally having the spirit to finish this game, even though it sometimes would crash on me unexpectedly on my New3DS (maybe it was because it was inside my crammed backpack for a long time or my New3DS has a slot problem when it comes to DS games) and I had to readjust playing an older Kirby game. Since Planet Robobot is currently my favorite, it's hard to say how my expectations will compare an older game with basically less to no problems to a current game with the same quality.  

12/11- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for Switch 

I've been a long time fan of the Smash Bros. series since Melee. Melee was fantastic, Brawl was decent, and the fourth games were amazing. Then, Ultimate became one of the biggest games they ever hyped. Mostly everything was coming back, plus more! I never played the demo or looked at any gameplay video because my excitement was real. I had to experience it for myself. I played it the day it came out, and... spent a lot of time on it. But, how does Ultimate fare against the rest? First, The World Of Light in my honest opinion is a lot better than the Subspace Emissary. There is a clear bad guy who is taking control over characters. Kirby's the only one who managed not to become a soulless puppet, so they go through many challenges to save allies and spirits. The map features different routes, spirits, enemies, and unlockable secrets, and it's mostly cloudy until a certain obstacle is defeated. Spirits in this game have different effects, like getting more physical attack, being immune to lava floors, and bonus stamina. The primary ones can become stronger by leveling up, and have one to three slots for secondary spirits. Both kinds of spirits can train at gyms and the like to learn different styles. Not only that, but exploring caves rewards players with loot and there are a few stores which house experience stuff and other spirits. The spirits also come in three different styles as well: attack, defense, and grab or whatever, and can give the fighter a disadvantage or advantage depending on the enemies' spirits. Some of the challenges can be easy, but there are a certain amount which are a pain in the neck. For the sake of my experience, I played on the normal difficulty. But, some challenges and even... bosses are annoying at times. They can be defeated, but some fighters use really cheap tricks to win at times. What I thought would take me about three hours... took about five. A good amount of fighters can be unlocked in this mode, as well as other things. The real final boss is possibly harder than Tabuu, but they're more satisfying to take down. The music and detail... is incredible. Smash has gotten better in terms of looking solid, and sounding solid. Most of the modes, like Smash and Classic Mode, have come back in style. Classic Mode now implements a new difficulty thing where the better the player plays, the difficulty increases. More stuff has been added, but the core controls still function as they should. If it sounds like I'm skipping a lot... well, it's because it's better to play and look for yourselves. With only the story to complain about at times, it's a solid game with more DLC coming down the road... including Piranha Plant and Joker from Persona 5. 

12/27- Shovel Knight... Plague of Shadows for Switch. 

A while after the main story hit the WiiU years ago, I haven't jumped back into Shovel Knight, despite saying that it's one of my favorite games of all time. The story was simple, the detail was amazing, the soundtrack was sound, and the gameplay, although inspired by DuckTales, was still very fun and easy to learn. That was 2014. Shovel Knight has newer homes, including the Nintendo Switch, and there are currently two new campaigns starring Plague Knight and Specter Knight, with a new one arriving in 2019 starring King Knight. Plague Knight's story acts an alternative, while Specter Knight's acts as a prologue. Both act as different games (my NS home screen can testify to that), and I haven't beat Shovel Knight's main campaign this year. As I beat Plague Knight's first, I'll get into what makes his "game" unique. Plague of Shadows stars... Plague Knight. Unbeknownst to his fellow Knights of the Order of No Quarter, a league of evil knights headed by the Enchantress, he wants to make the Ultimate Potion, capable of doing... anything. By his side is Mona, his female assistant who helps him with his goal. So, how will he make the Ultimate Potion? By taking the "essences" of his former knight  companions and the Enchantress. Plague Knight's nature is somewhat of an anti-hero, because although he's going against his former Order and boss, he's still looking for power which might allow him to rule the world, the townspeople hate his guts, and he's not siding with Shovel Knight any time soon. Still, it's not like the tone is sad or dramatic always. Plague Knight makes fun of his former comrades, and he has a budding relationship with Mona. And his "friends" are just as quirky too. Although the style is about the same, there's a few more songs that go with his story. Plague Knight is even more expressive in terms of animation. He's misunderstand-ibly adorable. So, since Plague Knight is different from Shovel Knight... what exactly is different? Instead of a trusty shovel, Plague Knight uses bombs. There's a variety in terms of their throwing arc, how they explode, and how fast they will detonate. Defeating baddies this time around acquire a bit more strategy due to their distance and the bombs themselves... Especially bosses, and the two I had the most problems due to PK's bombs and movement are Tinker Knight and Specter Knight. There are no more extra jumps when hitting enemies and obstacles, so in order to accommodate for Plague Knight's size and gameplay, he has a double-jump and a huge blast jump. Unlike Shovel Knight, Plague Knight has to deal with trickier and more precise landing and jumping. Plague Knight can double jump, then blast jump, then attack the air to land better and so on, but Plague Knight does not have ideal vertical and horizontal movement. Just like Shovel Knight, Plague Knight suffers from... knock-back syndrome, and he can be knocked back a good distance. Plague of Shadows is a little bit harder to in those regards... but it's not impossible to beat. Sometimes frustrating and cheap at times, but not impossible. Plague Knight can also change his jumping and some of his arcane powers by going to the shops and meeting a certain Relic lover. Really, it's similar to Shovel Knight's way of getting new arsenal. If the base game didn't keep one satisfied, I can easily recommend Plague of Shadows. While Plague Knight's means of combat and movement are a bit harder and the stages were meant for Shovel Knight in mind, everything else is really great. Not perfect, but enjoyable.

12/28- Shovel Knight... Specter of Torment for Nintendo Switch. 

Like I said, Specter of Torment is its own game, and I have the home page to prove it. Shovel Knight was a fantastic game, and its Plague of Shadows story thing was even great. But, what about the third campaign, Specter of Torment? The game is actually a prequel, as Specter Knight is ordered by The Enchantress to find eight knights so that they will form the Order of No Quarter. All of the knights were not bad guys, but extraordinary knights at blowing stuff up, airfare, and so on. Specter Knight has to do so not because of free will or because of power, but because of tragic events. He was once a treasure hunter (or an adventurer, the game doesn't specify) named Donovan, who partnered alongside his comrade Luan to get treasure from The Tower of Fate. What happens in the Tower of Fate changes their lives, but I won't spoil much more. If Shovel Knight was a true hero, and Plague Knight was an anti-hero, Specter Knight is a tragic hero or villain. He had good intentions, but eventually has to be evil. Specter of Torment not only adds more music, but the locations and so on have changed because the timeline of events. Familiar places will have old and new enemies, layouts, and obstacles. For example, King Knight's song is more joyous than scary in this campaign. And the beginning stage is in the night rather than the usual day time. It's the little touches that make this game stand out. But, Specter Knight also has different gameplay. He can attack with his trusty scythe, and not only can he attack whatever is in front of him while on the ground, but he can attack directionally while in the air. (Slashing up-right, up-left, down-right, down-left.) Unlike Plague Knight, where landing and combat was trickier because it was not for him in mind but Shovel Knight, everything was accommodated for Specter Knight's movement and combat mechanics. Enemies, platforms, and obstacles were placed beneficially. But, slashing things in the air comes with some costs. Specter Knight can lose lives by attacking something from above while there's a pit, or by attacking something from below while there are spikes on the ceiling. The timing of the strikes is crucial just as it was for Shovel Knight's shovel bounces. Specter Knight can also climb on and jump off of walls, like Ryu Hayabusa. There's two ways to get out of a wall jump, so beware. Like Shovel Knight, Specter Knight can obtain different powers and outfits. However, Specter Knight has to test out each new power he gets in a few short practice trials. If he also misses a chest which can boost his life and magic, he can buy it it from one of the venders... IN THE TOWER OF FATE. (I forgot to mention in Plague of Shadows that he can buy a variety of stuff in his secret laboratory.) The Tower of Fate is the hub-world of the game, replacing the map that Shovel Knight and Plague Knight use. Using a big magical transporter mirror thing, he can travel to ANY OF THE STAGES FROM THE BEGINNING, RATHER THAN PROGRESSING THROUGH EACH AT A TIME. One has to complete the beginning stage first, but the rest can be accessed at any time. The last few things that have changed are the boss fights. All of them have different attack patterns, and all of them have new circumstances, like fighting Propeller Knight on falling wood or such, and fighting Mole Knight using bouncing green blocks. They have become trickier to defeat, but not impossible. Like I said with Plague Knight, this game is very enjoyable. In order of skill and story... I'd go with Treasure Trove (Shovel Knight's main campaign), Specter of Torment, then Plague of Shadows. The base game is probably the easiest and has the main story, Specter of Torment is a little harder and has the prologue, and Plague of Shadows is probably the hardest and has an alternative story. I'm done with Shovel Knight until King of Cards... and maybe trying to defeat games till next year.

Edited by XLW

Knocked a few more out. First time I have ever beaten an Adventure Island game. Played a lot of the first game back when I was kid but never beat it. It is one that is on my to do list at some point. 

C-22

H-6

PC-2

M

O: 30

2018 games beaten:

1. Tales of the Abyss (3DS)  (2/6/2018)

2. Bravely Default (3DS) (3/12/2018)

3. Donkey Kong Country (SNES Mini) (5/8/2018)

4. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch) (6/20/2018)

5. Final Fantasy VII (PC/Steam) (6/20/2018)

6. Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition (PC/Steam) (8/21/2018)

7. Return of Double Dragon (SNES) (8/24/2018)

8. TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES) (8/30/2018)

9. MMPR: The Movie (SNES) (9/1/2018)

10. MMPR: The Fighting Edition (SNES) (9/3/2018)

11. Mario All Stars: Mario 1 (SNES) (9/4/2018)

12. MMPR: The Movie (Genesis) 9/6/2018

13.  Streets of Rage 3D (3DS) 9/13/2018

14. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS) 9/25/2018

15. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (3DS) 9/26/2018

16. Mega Man 2 (NES) 9/30/2018

17. Mega Man 11 (Switch) 10/7/2018

18. Mega Man 10 (Switch) 10/12/2018

19. Mega Man 9   (Switch) 10/15/2018

20. Mega Man 8   (Switch) 10/18/2018

21. Mega Man 7   (Switch) 10/19/2018

22. Mega Man 6   (Switch) 10/21/2018

23. Mega Man 5   (Switch) 10/22/2018

24. Mega Man 4   (Switch) 10/23/2018

25. Mega Man 3   (Switch) 10/25/2018

26. Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (PS4) 11/4/2018

27. Castlevania IV (SNES) 11/15/2018

28. Castlevania III (NES) 11/16/2018

29. 80's Overdrive (3DS) 11/18/2018

30. Adventure Island 2 (3DS VC) 11/19/2018

Edited by Irondog666
- Mimpi Dreams (Switch)
Cute puzzle/platformer. The transition from mobile controls to a traditional controller leaves a little to be desired but overall it's a nice little game for young players. [image]

- Earthbound (SNES Classic)
Still such a great RPG, and I think every time I replay it I appreciate it more for how meta it gets with both video game and RPG tropes. [image]

- Roundabout (PS4)
Well that was easily one of the weirdest games I've ever played. Points for originality but I wasn't really into the gameplay. [image]

- Yomawari: Night Alone (Switch)
Decent horror game, but ultimately it gets kind of boring when all you do is walk around and avoid ghosts. [image]

- Yomawari: Midnight Shadows (Switch)
Pretty much exactly the same as the first game but a little bigger which actually only accentuates the boring qualities. [image]

Also updating some challenges I haven't bothered to update in a while:
Gold:

3) Cardinal C-Note – Beat 100 games (see first post)

5) Top Of The Food Chain – Beat a Monster Hunter game [image]

7) You Cannot Grasp the True Form of Giygas’ Attack! – Beat any Earthbound/Mother game [image]

8) Smashing! – Beat a Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Pokémon, Star Fox, Metroid, Earthbound, F-Zero, and Kirby game (see first post)

C : 115

H: 10

P: 0

M: 0

O: 125

Challenges: 39 points

Retro City Rampage DX completed. Never played it before and idk how I didn't play it sooner. Truly a love letter to 1980s pop culture with so many references to retro video games and 1980s movies all built upon a foundation that mimics the earlier 2D GTA titles. It is surprisingly addictive.

C-22

H-7

PC-2

M

O: 31

2018 games beaten:

31. Retro City Rampage DX (3DS) 11/24/2018

3 games in one day and 3 games I have never beaten. Super Dodge Ball for NES, love this game because it is so ridiculous and simple to play, Avenging Spirit which was a very good time, and Castlevania The Adventure which is easily the worst fucking Castlevania game or GB game for that matter that I have played. Utter fucking trash of a game. It was a painful experience to play through this crap. So 2 good games, 1 shit game down.

C-23

H-9

PC-2

M

O: 34

2018 games beaten:

32. Super Dodge Ball (Switch) 11/26/2018

33. Avenging Spirit (3DS VC) 11/26/2018

34. Castlevania The Adventure (3DS VC) 11/26/2018

Edited by Irondog666

Game number 35 down and it is Metroid. First time I have beaten the game in under 3 hours legitimately (have used passwords to get it before, but that is cheap). Had so much fun playing through the original that I am considering on doing both a normal run under 3 hours and then the unsuited run (never done that one before) under 1 hour on Twitch. Just gotta get some time for that but Metroid is one of my favorite NES games of all time. I think it is underappreciated compared to it's bigger brother, Super Metroid. Although Zero Mission was far superior on GBA on a technical scale, I just think that the pure simplicity of the original does it for me. To me the NES version of Metroid is one of the most atmospheric and truly creepy games of the 8 bit era. Every time I play through the first game (which I have played through more than all the Metroid games combined) it feels like I appreciate it a little more than the last time. It is not nostalgia either, I never grew up with the original game and didn't play it until 2005 for the first time. It's one of those games that has grown on me. Back in 05 I thought the game was terrible, how things do change over time.

C-24

H-9

PC-2

M

O: 35

2018 games beaten:

34. Castlevania The Adventure (3DS VC) 11/26/2018

35. Metroid (3DS VC) 12/2/2018

P_20181203_015004_LL.jpg

P_20181203_015203_LL.jpg

Edited by Irondog666
- Super Hydorah (Switch)
I am admittedly not very good at these kinds of side-scrolling shoot 'em ups but this is a fun one and I like the branching paths idea. [image]

- Party Hard (Switch) 
I like the concept (perfect dark comedy kind of set-up) but the game is so tedious—there have to be better ways to kill people. [image]

- Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Switch)
I love these games, and strategy RPG fans should definitely give them a try. The huge difficulty spikes around boss enemies are pretty annoying though. [image]

- Picross S (Switch)
Had that annual Picross itch and this was perfect for holiday traveling. [image]

- Cat Quest (Switch)
An adorable cat-based action-RPG, though it definitely feels like it caters to novice players; it'd be perfect for easing a young player into the genre. [image]

C : 120

O: 125

Wario  Land II beaten. About 46% or so total completion. Trying to 100% it but also starting on Adventures of Lolo. Been really nostalgic for Lolo, primarily because of Lolo 3 since it was a game I played as a kid all the time but could never remember what game had a rainbow connecting 2 towers on an overword map until the other day ago. Go figure, it's the one that was never re-released and used carts go for over $30+. Came across a YouTube video that covered the series and it jarred my childhood memories back and made me realize that was the puzzle game that I loved so much. 

C-24

H-10

PC-2

M

O: 36

2018 games beaten:

10. MMPR: The Fighting Edition (SNES) (9/3/2018)

36. Wario Land 2 (3DS VC) 12/06/2018

Beat: Twinbee, Switch (NES app)

At least, I assume I did for the purpose of this thread. The game has five levels, which loop, similar to how Donkey Kong NES sends you back to the first level after you beat Donkey Kong. I'm guessing, like Donkey Kong, completing a loop counts as beating the game.

MUcaqHL.jpg

Quick question related to Smash Ultimate. 

I've been slowly making my way through World of Light, and realize that's going to take awhile. By the same accord, I've dipped into the other modes as well, including beating Classic Mode a couple times, triggering the end credits there.

Which just prompts a question: is there a distinction, for the purposes of this thread, in beating Smash Ultimate (Classic Mode) and beating Smash Ultimate (World of Light)? 

On 1/1/2018 at 2:47 PM, purple_beard said:

I beat what I beat when I beat it.

1/21 Mario Kart 7 / 3DS  *FROM SCRATCH

- 3* 100cc and lower

- >=1* 150cc and higher

3/11 A Link Between Worlds / 3DS

10/11 Mega Man 11 / Switch

10/11 Dr Mario / Switch

12/12  Smash Ultimate

* All Fighters Unlocked.

Just got all the fighters in Smash Ultimate.  Now that that is complete, time to work on some World of Light stuff.  I kind of wanted to have the whole roster and feel out everyone before playing WoL as I didn't want to get into a crucial battle with someone and not know how they feel and their deal so to speak.

9 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Just got all the fighters in Smash Ultimate.  Now that that is complete, time to work on some World of Light stuff.  I kind of wanted to have the whole roster and feel out everyone before playing WoL as I didn't want to get into a crucial battle with someone and not know how they feel and their deal so to speak.

You were just scared.

Just beat Mario Land 2 which is one of my favorite Game Boy games.  Was one of the few games I actually owned and grew up with on the original tank ass game boy from back in the early 90s.  I didn't have a Super NES until Christmas of 93 and I got this game when it was released in 92 for Christmas.  It was one one of the first Mario games I could ever call "mine" since the NES belonged to my older sister.  I really loved the fact that they tried to give you a shrunk down version of Mario 3/World but that it wasn't some compromised port like so many other Game Boy titles were.  It was unique in the fact that you had Wario instead of Bowser as the main antagonist, you had fucking BUNNY EARS!! The game just oozes with variety and cool touches and it is a damn miracle they were able to pull that off back in 1992 for the primitive 8 bit handheld.  So that makes 37 titles beaten for the year, looking at 50 by the end of this month.  

C-24

H-10

PC-2

M

O: 36

2018 games beaten:

37. Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GameBoy) 12/12/2018

• 2 weeks later...

Game 38 beaten with Mass Effect. First time I have ever beaten a Mass Effect game and it was pretty damn good. Just started ME2, that is going to take some time. 

C-24

H-10

PC-23

M

O: 38

2018 games beaten:

38. Mass Effect (PC) 12/20/2018

- Omensight (Switch)
Love the premise, but the combat gets too repetitive. Also really wish the load screens weren't so choppy. [image]

- Diablo III (Switch)
Just one playthrough (gotta keep my free time on Smash Ultimate). The gameplay doesn't totally hook me but if it did I could see myself spending a hundred hours on this, like Monster Hunter. [image]

- Guacamelee! 2 (Switch)
Loved it; just as great as I remember the first one being, and just as hard at times (though maybe a little easier now that I'm used to the style of these games). [image]

- Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!  (Switch)
Quite a nostalgia trip playing this, and it's funny to think that this is what I picture the original RBY being like even though they were monochrome Game Boy games. [image]

- Gris (Switch)
One of the most beautiful games I've played. Truly gorgeous. [image]

C : 125

O: 135

Adventures of Lolo beaten. First Lolo game I have ever beaten and some of those puzzles were pretty challenging. So that makes 39 this year. Working on Mass Effect 2 and just started Mole Mania on the 3DS. Just playing whatever I feel like playing.

C-24

H-10

PC-2

M

O: 39

2018 games beaten:

38. Mass Effect (PC) 12/20/2018

39. Adventures of Lolo (3DS VC) 12/23/2018

P_20181223_035756_LL.jpg

So cute! They are ready to get it on!!

Edited by Irondog666

Last update of the year for me. Total games finished count for 2018: 138.

- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

Finished World of Light and unlocked all characters so I'm counting this beaten. That was a hell of a final gauntlet! [image]

- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (Switch)
I was kind of expecting to like this more than I actually did. Maybe it's just because I've been playing so many platformers lately but the gameplay always felt clunky to me. [image]

- The Messenger (Switch)
I had a real up/down experience with this one. Seemed too simple at first, then got way too hard, and by the end I still thought it was perhaps too difficult but overall more engaging than I initially thought. [image]

C : 128

O: 138