Video Games Finished in 2018

Gold

Beat Streets of Rage 3D on the 3DS.  Still don't get why that game is jerked off to so damn much.  Felt just like a Final Fight type game and that was it.  Maybe Streets of Rage 2 is better?  I have no idea I never really grew up with Sega Genesis back in the day. Not sure what else I am going to do next.  

P.S.  I don't know if I linked my backloggery account here (I don't think I did) but here it is if you want to add and compare stats and all that.  I don't take my backlog as serious as some others do, I just play whatever I feel like playing but maybe one day I can knock it down below 30% if I keep chipping away.  https://backloggery.com/irondog666

C-8

H-3

PC-2

M

O: 13

2018 games beaten:

1. Tales of the Abyss (3DS)  (2/6/2018)

2. Bravely Default (3DS) (3/12/2018)

3. Donkey Kong Country (SNES Mini) (5/8/2018)

4. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch) (6/20/2018)

5. Final Fantasy VII (PC/Steam) (6/20/2018)

6. Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition (PC/Steam) (8/21/2018)

7. Return of Double Dragon (SNES) (8/24/2018)

8. TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES) (8/30/2018)

9. MMPR: The Movie (SNES) (9/1/2018)

10. MMPR: The Fighting Edition (SNES) (9/3/2018)

11. Mario All Stars: Mario 1 (SNES) (9/4/2018)

12. MMPR: The Movie (Genesis) 9/6/2018

13.  Streets of Rage 3D (3DS) 9/13/2018

sig.gif 

- Dust: An Elysian Tail (Switch)
Fun side-scrolling action/platformer gameplay, and mostly I'm just really impressed that it was all made by one person. [image]

- Sparkle 2 (PS4)
A nice puzzle-game break from some of the more complex games I've been playing. I probably won't ever get around to playing through the survival and challenge modes though. [image]

- Destiny 2 (PS4)
The base game definitely feels like the Destiny that I played a bunch a few years ago. It's a fun FPS but I'm not interested in investing in any DLC right now. [image]

- Noitu Love: Devolution (3DS)
Got this off MyNintendo because I enjoyed Iconoclasts so much, figured I'd give this a spin. It's a nice little action game but I really wish it just had normal controls. [image]

- Bleed 2 (Switch)

Decided to try this since it was on sale for so little. Kind of fitting that I played this right after Noitu Love: Devolution because just like that one this is a neat action game that I feel like would've been better with normal controls. Mostly jumping with ZR really messed me up for some reason. [image]

C : 93

H: 7

P: 0

M: 0

O: 100

Challenges: 19 points

9/21- The Messenger for Switch  

I tried The Messenger out because of a certain YouTuber who recently played it and recommended it a few weeks ago. As a spiritual successor to Ninja Gaiden, I was a little bit... worried, or so, that this game would be very difficult. Well... it is. But, unlike Ninja Gaiden, I found the game to be challenging but fair... except for some moments where I swore heavily when things didn't go my way. But, taking some breaks actually helped me progress and march through this seemingly difficult game. I shouted to the heavens when I finally... beat The Messenger. The Messenger takes place on an island which is mostly populated by monsters. A small and secluded group of villagers are training to become better ninjas. They eagerly wait for the return of The Hero of the West, who will give one of them an important scroll and the title of The Messenger. The Messenger then has to make his way to the top of the island for the hope of mankind to continue. Even though the demons find the secluded village earlier than anticipated, The Hero of the West arrives in the nick of time to repel the demons and give the avatar the scroll. That's all I'm going to cover, because the story becomes a lot more interesting later on. Despite the apocalyptic vibe that the game presents in the beginning, this game also has some of the strangest but comedic moments I've ever seen. It's kind of like Undertale in its humor. But, the story is not the only thing I loved about the game. The retro vibe of the graphics is perfect for the amount of characters and locations that this game has, and the music is rich with pumping old school beats. No seriously, I think the soundtrack is the best part of the game, hands down. And, now for the gameplay. At first, all The Messenger can do is swing their sword and jump. But, when timed correctly after hitting something, the Messenger can "Cloud Step", which is another jump in midair. The Cloud Step is crucial to the game, as it saves the player from countless moments of death. Now, I say "at first", because the upgrades and weapons The Messenger gets are also integral. I won't spoil them, because they too are plot related. Now, I'd be lying if I said the game was easy. There are some really difficult moments and boss fights that will take time to master. Dying and repeating motions after motions will be common in this game. The game has infinite lives, so I'm glad the game is generous there. Like I said, conquering said moments and bosses is satisfying. Except for some moments where I thought I did one thing, and the game did another, I really love most of this game.  

10/9- WWE2K19 for PS4

I skipped playing WWE2K18, because... of no story mode, and I feel like it was the same like it was ever when I played WWE2K17. That, and... no story mode. Maybe there was more to that, like Super Mario Odyssey coming out around that time too. But, the biggest thing that kept me interested this time? THE DANIEL BRYAN STORY MODE. DB is my favorite wrestler, as he wants to be one of the best wrestlers of all time, more than becoming famous and rich. But... it only has eleven matches, and because some former wrestlers won't ever come back, some of his famous matches couldn't be in the game probably due to legal issues. The fights between CM Punk, the WM31 Ladder Match, and who knows what else. Still, that's what the CAWs are for. Thank gosh for the CAW Community! The presentation... oh boy. They tried to make everything look nice, but the audience and some of the wrestlers just look weird as always. That's how it's always been with the current series, even though I wish they tried a bit more this time around. Since I haven't touched a new WWE game since 2K17, I didn't know what to expect when it came to actually playing the game. I couldn't tell you what was new in terms of matches, modes (except for this tournament thing that is pretty much for hardcore fans, and a better MyCareer), and so on (except for the new titles and new and lost wrestlers). Currently, I'm more into the Universe mode, and I'm planning on creating three wrestlers that combines the multiple personalities of Mick Foley and the "YES/NO!" gimmick of Daniel Bryan. The only thing that I haven't experimented with yet is the Payback mechanic, which seems to turn the tides for wrestlers. The one thing I did immediately after finishing the story mode was to make a Royal Rumble which had the best current stars from WWE and a few from New Japan. (Velveteen Dream won after taking out both Johnny Garganno and Bryan Danielson.) I think it's good compared to WWE2K16, and i think better than the last two games for sure. Who knows if it'll be one of the best wrestling games ever, but I won't ever sell it. Daniel Bryan, you know.

10/13- Luigi's Mansion for 3DS 

It's odd that I beat the sequel before heading to the prequel. Maybe I'll do that one day with ALTTP! What intrigued me with the sequel was playing as Luigi solo and with different means to tackle enemies. That, and THE YEAR OF LUIGI. We all know that Luigi's Mansion was one of the first titles for the GameCube, when it's usually a Mario game that's the launch for Nintendo systems. I was never a huge Mario fan in my childhood, so I never experienced the drama, if any, that came with a new play-style. Instead of platforming, it was a... third person kids version of survival horror. A kids version of Resident Evil, even if that's a loooooong stretch. I bought the GameCube version before news of the remake came, but never played it because other games were on my mind. It's the same reason I haven't dove into Kingdom Hearts until recently. So, the story? Luigi wins a mansion, but is tricked when he goes to the location and finds out that the place is haunted. Not only is the place haunted, but Professor E. Gadd, a scientist who researched ghosts for most of his life, tells Luigi that Mario came to the mansion a while ago and is currently missing. E. Gadd gives Luigi the Poltergust 3000 and tasks him to find his brother and capture ghosts, of which E. Gadd wants to put several into portraits. So, the night begins! Compared to the sequel, there is only is there ONE mansion, and there are three floors and a basement. There's no recent Mario tropes here, and depending on skill alone, the adventure can take about five to seven hours! There's no missions too, which I think works for pacing, since one should always be on guard in a game like this non-stop. However, even though I like the variations when it comes to the theme song (Luigi humming to it is cute), I think the sequel did it better with changing up the theme because of the different locations Luigi went. Both play wonderful on a New 3DS, and I personally didn't see any frame drops with the remake. Enemy variation... while I prefer Luigi's Mansion Portrait Ghosts compared to the Possessor Ghosts in the sequel, I think Dark Moon had the better normal enemies. One: I like Greenie, Slammer, and so on because they look colorful and look different from each other compared to the pink and orange ghosts on the cover and so on. And except for the ghosts that usually invade Luigi's personal space, none of the ghosts posed a real threat, and I remember Dark Moon giving me a few deaths at times. Two: the ghosts in Luigi's Mansion are just chaotic evil, but the ghosts in Dark Moon are forced upon their will by King Boo. I love it when I turn back the ghosts to good, and see their cute smile. Luigi's Mansion might have had more frights, but I think I had more moments and feels when it came to Dark Moon. Now, the game-play. Along with using various buttons for the flashlight and the Poltergust, for this remake one also has to use the motion controls (namely, moving the screen) for precise movement. It's been a while since I played Dark Moon, but I don't remember the motion controls being finicky. At times, moving the screen works, other times it doesn't. And the Control Pad, D-Pad, and C-Stick aren't as useful too. I might have only died twice thanks to luck, but it was annoying when I didn't shine a light on Ghost Number 124 directly or vacuum them on time. And I got stuck a few times, because the game also has the GAME BOY HORROR, which can scan enemies for some weaknesses and search the room Luigi's in. There are two rooms that require Luigi to investigate two items, so that he can transport to another area in the Mansion. That's the only time I looked up online, because even though there are only a few hits of where to go and what to do, the game is easy enough to explore around. Besides the main story, there's more to do, like teaming up online with a player to take on the mansion. I haven't tried it out, but I might some time... maybe after when I'm done playing TWEWY Final Mix. Besides some potential end-boss shenanigans (which is easier than people make it out to be), the game is challenging, but fair. I got an okay ending, and I don't care getting the best. This game is good. That's all for now.

Edited by XLW

A couple more games down. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog and 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Managed to get all chaos emeralds in both. Those were fun as always and the 3D was done well in them.  Been doing Sonic Mania on the side but that one is giving me shit with the special stages. 

C-8

H-5

PC-2

M

O: 15

2018 games beaten:

14. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS) 9/25/2018

15. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (3DS) 9/26/2018

- The Gardens Between (Switch)

Love the puzzle concept of moving forward and backward in time and affecting little things in the scenery, Just wish the game wasn't so short! I would've loved a game three times as long. [image]

- Foul Play (PS4)
The stage play motif is kind of fun but the gameplay is just bland, repetitious side-scrolling beat 'em up action. [image]

- Hollow Knight (Switch)
Good Metroidvania game with really slick artwork but for some reason the game never fully clicked with me. I think the exploration always felt a little too tedious for me. [image]

- Star Fox 2 (SNES Classic)
This game feels incredibly rough in 2018 but it's still interesting to see the elements that were ultimately dropped from the Star Fox franchise, like choosing a pilot and real-time defending the Lylat system. [image]

- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Switch)

Credits rolled so I'm adding this to my list, though of course I've only scratched the surface of the game's content. It's nice having G-rank back and it's cool that there are so many monsters to hunt but honestly the best part of this game is just transferring data from MHG—no need to farm basic supplies, thank god! [image]

C : 98

H: 7

O: 105

Just beat Mega Man 2 on NES.  This is actually the first time ever that I have played it on an actual NES cartridge in an NES.  Got the 30th Anniversary official reproduction cart for my brithday (I also have the Mega Man X 30th anniversary edition coming).  Always a fun time, one of the best Mega Man games ever and I had a lot of fun streaming it.  

C-9

H-5

PC-2

M

O: 16

2018 games beaten:

16. Mega Man 2 (NES) 9/30/2018

On 9/28/2018 at 9:00 AM, Eliwood8 said:

- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Switch)

Credits rolled so I'm adding this to my list, though of course I've only scratched the surface of the game's content. It's nice having G-rank back and it's cool that there are so many monsters to hunt but honestly the best part of this game is just transferring data from MHG—no need to farm basic supplies, thank god!

I actually defeated the last multiplayer Urgent quest as of now. As much as Monster Hunter always tries to tell a story, it's the multiplayer that's always been the selling point.  I would say I beat the game when it comes to the Multiplayer aspect side of things, but since there are no credits... I can't say I finished the game technically. That's why I like World for combining the single player story experience with the multiplayer part of things. The main games are a lot more fun playing with friends, and... now that I think about it, unless it was 2G/Unite, I never really beat the single-player story. To be fair, I AR'd my time with Unite... but, it was my first Monster Hunter, and even though I have an on/off time with the games, I can not say that this series is horrible. I love nearly everything it brought to the table. I'll put in on my favorite games I've beaten somewhere, even if I never... Unless there's an exception to the rule when it comes to a series like this, I can not update my list here as of now. 

- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)
A few rough edges but overall I really enjoyed it. I know it's a port but I hope more people get a chance to check this one out. [image]

- QUBE Director's Cut (PS4)
Pretty fun Portal-esque puzzle game, well aside from one magnet-based puzzle that just annoyed me for so long. [image]

- PAN-PAN A tiny big adventure (Switch)
Bought this on a whim because it looked cute and was only $3. I was not prepared for its completely esoteric puzzles though. Still a cute little game but damn. [image]

- WarioWare Gold (3DS)
I'm not really an expert on the series but this seems like a pretty great collection of franchise highlights. I'm just not usually that invested in score-chasing games like this though. [image]

- Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Feels like a really good blend of classic MM gameplay with new ideas. The double gear system is a natural fit for MM. [image]

C : 102

H: 8

O: 110

All righty here we go!

So so far I’ve beaten (from what I can remember): 

1) Skyrim (Switch)

2) Breath of the Wild (Switch)

3) Oracle of Seasons (3DS)

4) Oracle of Ages (3DS)

5) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

6) Link Between Worlds (3DS)

7) FFXV Pocket (Switch)

8) Reign (Mobile)

9) Stardew Valley (Switch)

10) Pokemon Crystal (3DS)

11) Pokemon UltraMoon (3DS)

12) Okami HD (Switch)

13) Pokemon UltraSun (3DS)

15) Blossom Tales (Switch)

16) Dragon Quest Builders (Switch)

17) Majora’s Mask (3DS)

Yeah, will come back to this when I can research more of what I completed. :) 

1) Console – 8
2) Handheld – 7
3) PC – 0
4) Mobile – 1
5) Overall – 16

Challenges - pending

Edited by DranSeasona

Beat Mega Man 11 on Switch. I liked the game a lot. Its up there with 2,3, and 9 in my opinion 

C-10

H-5

PC-2

M

O: 17

2018 games beaten:

17. Mega Man 11(Switch) 10/7/2018

On 1/1/2018 at 2:47 PM, purple_beard said:

I beat what I beat when I beat it.

1/21 Mario Kart 7 / 3DS  *FROM SCRATCH

- 3* 100cc and lower

- >=1* 150cc and higher

3/11 A Link Between Worlds / 3DS

10/11 Mega Man 11 / Switch

Took down MM11 today.  I know I'd get hate for the difficulty level I picked so I won't mention it, what I will say though is that I appreciate the multiple difficulty settings for this game a lot.  I have struggled with playing MM forever.  Its one of those games I can't get the timing down on the moves and enemies like I can in other platformers.

Graphics

Robot Master Powers get used a lot all over the place, therefore you don't feel like all they are worth to you is for usage in a boss fight.

Robot Master stage themes.

Dual Gear system does have promise as is and if expanded further.  Speed worked a lot for tricky jumping.  Power helped best with certain powers and situations you needed that power upgrade.

Dislikes:

In 2018 I would have expected wore elaborate stage design and detail.  These stages weren't as interesting or challenging in spots as the legacy NES games I have played in the series.

*I will say there were some strong elements though with some of the obstacles.  

Wily Castle stage felt awfully short of rooms to make your way through to get to him.

On 1/1/2018 at 2:47 PM, purple_beard said:

10/11 Dr Mario / Switch

Probably one my favorite puzzle games.

Personally I think the Miracle Cure version with Dr. Mario and Dr. Luigi along with the special powers is probably the best version of the game.

I do think the controls are slightly off from my other NES version(s) as I think medium is a little off on response timing.

When you are dealing with L20 +  I am a firm believer that initial virus arrangement and initial pill offerings are critical to get a good start...if you can knock down 3-4 rows from the top of your stack in good spots you can generally have success all the way down.

Just knocked out Mega Man 10 on the legacy collection, still as lackluster as I remember it. Going onto 9 which will be a lot better. 

C-11

H-5

PC-2

M

O: 18

2018 games beaten:

17. Mega Man 11 (Switch) 10/7/2018

18. Mega Man 10 (Switch) 10/12/2018