Video Games Finished in 2018

Gold

5/30- Super Street Fighter II (SF 30th) for Switch. 

Ow... my hands. I love each of the characters, stages, and music, but I have the worst luck pulling off special attacks and the like. I tried to get into Super Turbo, but the speed and the random AI made me quit that. I would've gotten to Akuma if the enemies weren't so unpredictable and cheap. I think Ultra Street Fighter IV is better when it comes to fairness. I know the SFII series are some gems of the video game history because of the button layout, combos, and so on. The problem is is that this game requires more than ordinary reflexes and skills. Something my left thumb can attest to. 

5/30- Street Fighter Alpha 3 (SF 30th) for Switch

Even though the last series was a bit harder to work with in the case of input commands and hard and random AI, here it felt a lot more responsive. This time, I played as Akuma. He's amazing. The music and locations might not be as recognizable as II's, but it's still great. Heck, this is chronologically the first game in the series, so it shouldn't feel this great. And I love the characters in this game as well. The new special moves are mind-blowing too, and if a fighter hits their target when the target's life is ending, the following movements feel cinematic. And until maybe the end boss fight with M. Bison, I had a better time playing this game. It's definitely more fun for me, and even though II is a household name for what it did back then, this game feels like a natural progression for the series. Now, here's to SFIII 3rd Strike! 

5/31- Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (SF 30th) for Switch 

I think I like Street Fighter Alpha 3 more when it comes to controls, music, characters. The graphics seem better here though. I know this game introduced Ibuki, Alex, Makoto, Urien, Elena, Yang, Yun, and Dudley, but that's more than half of the new cast that I know well, and the returning roster seem week in comparison. And, I swear the speed is somewhere between the II and Alpha series. That's why I love Ultra Street Fighter IV the most, and why it's the only one on my favorites list. It has all of the cast of II, most of the cast from Alpha 3, and 1/2th of the new cast from Street Fighter III, as well as new characters to boot. And the roster alone is why I haven't picked up Street Fighter V AE. Sorry, but compared to Alpha 3 and Super Street Fighter II, this game is perhaps my least favorite. 

None of these three games will be on my favorites list, although Alpha 3 came really close, but that's because I don't have much of a personal history with Street Fighter compared to Tekken. Tekken 3 was my first fighting game, and because of an interesting story, I still treasure it to this day. That's not to say these three games are horrible. It's just that I grew up with a variety of games, and I usually don't go for the fighting genre. I'm just happy that this collection I got exists, and there may be more people who enjoy the chaos of II, the thrill of Alpha, or the freshness of III. 

Edited by XLW

Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend

Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend

A Hat in Time 

Transistor

Iconoclasts

Heavy Rain 

Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology

Warioland 4 - I'm a bit late posting this, but I went through this old favorite again with a friend who'd never played it before. Warioland 4 holds up after all these years, and there's still nothing quite like it. There's a real adrenaline rush to going through a level grabbing treasure, hitting a frog switch, and rushing to the exit before the level implodes, and all of the physical comedy and visual gags throughout the game still make me laugh. 

- Yoku's Island Express (Switch)
Really adorable game, and a unique combination of pinball and Metroidvania exploration. Definitely one of the eShop highlights of the year so far. [image]

- West of Loathing (Switch)
Really didn't know what to expect when I first saw a trailer for this but I loved it, the humor is actually spot on and it's a solid RPG to boot. [image]

- Owlboy (Switch)
I feel like this game got totally overhyped for me. It was still good but the flaws really jumped out at me. [image]

- The Alliance Alive (3DS)
Thankfully this fixed the biggest annoyance of Legend of Legacy, the magic system, but there are still a few other small issues carried over. [image]

- The Fall (Switch)
I wanted to replay this after playing The Fall: Unbound (although I suppose I should have played it beforehand). Still a really enjoyable sci-fi adventure game; I didn't remember all of the puzzle solutions perfectly so there was still a bit of challenge in replaying it. [image]

C : 59

H: 6

P: 0

M: 0

O: 65

Challenges: 19 points

Finished both Bloodstained Curse of the Moon on Switch and Final Fantasy VII at 100% with all 36 steam achievements as of yesterday.  Its been taking me a long time get through games this year with our recent move but I did just blast damn near 300 hours or so into FFVII.  Progress is progress.

C-2

H-2

PC-1

M

O: 5

2018 games beaten:

1. Tales of the Abyss (3DS)  (2/6/2018)

2. Bravely Default (3DS) (3/12/2018)

3. Donkey Kong Country (SNES Mini) (5/8/2018)

4. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch) (6/20/2018)

5. Final Fantasy VII (PC/Steam) (6/20/2018)

Screenshot (2).png

Edited by Irondog666
  • 2 weeks later...
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES Classic)
Glad I had a chance to replay this on the Classic since I haven't played it in years. In fact I'd forgotten how short/easy the game is—not in a bad way, but it really does feel like a simplified version of FFIV or VI starring Mario and friends. [image]

- Figment (Switch)
Love the surreal art style in this game, and the weirdly charming songs/rhyming. Has some rough edges but overall a solid action/puzzle game. [image]

- Battle Chasers: Nightwar (Switch)
I hope more people give this RPG a chance! It's pretty challenging but a lot of fun. I appreciate an RPG where you have to pay attention in every battle and actually put some thought into your strategy. [image]

- Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (Switch)
A pretty unique take on puzzle games like Puzzle League or Puyo Puyo. The game never really grabbed me fully but if it did there's enough content here to keep one occupied for weeks. [image]

- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (PS4)
It's kind of impressive how much it feels like Call of Duty hasn't changed at all. The jumping/special powers add a little novelty but the core mechanics genuinely feel the same as the games I played 10+ years ago, and that's not really a compliment. [image]

C : 64

O: 70

Also, a question for @Gold: Would you consider the Splatoon 2 DLC, Octo Expansion, as a separate beaten game? I only ask because it's pretty long (80 levels) and is actually pretty comparable to the main game's story mode in length.

1 hour ago, Eliwood8 said:
Also, a question for @Gold: Would you consider the Splatoon 2 DLC, Octo Expansion, as a separate beaten game? I only ask because it's pretty long (80 levels) and is actually pretty comparable to the main game's story mode in length.

My stance on DLC is normally no, but in this case, I will say yes.

Edited by Gold

06/10 -- Metroid (Wii VC)

Even though I own the NES cartridge, was feeling lazy enough on this day to NOT set the NES up.   This run  was not on Game Plus either.   It was started from scratch.   Gitting gud at bomb jump to reach the varia suit without getting  high jump boots first in Norfair goes a long way.   In the past, I've actually beaten Metroid without ever acquiring the high jump boots at all, but on this particular run I still went and grabbed them before Kraid's lair, because without them that long, arduous climb out of Kraid's area with the mile-high stack of crumbling blocks is a disaster waiting to happen.  Anyone who's familiar with this game should understand what I'm talking about.      Kinda wish I'd snapped a shot of the start of the game too just to prove that it wasn't a game-plus run.  But I know it's not required, and besides,   I'm hoping to do it again here in a few and record an LP;   mainly just to get some practice in at using Elgato capture card's software and posting videos before taking on my BOTW LP, which will--obviously--be a much larger endeavor.   I'll add a link to this post once that's done. 

Gold (Worth 5 points)

2) Justin Bailey – Get the fastest ending in Metroid

1528663852875.jpg

- Runbow (Switch)

It's a little disappointing that Satura's Space Adventure isn't included in the base price (for the digital version) but otherwise this is still the fantastic Runbow that we know and love. Seriously if you haven't bought a version of it yet, go for it. [image]

- Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion (Switch)
A lot of really fun ideas in these levels (and a few tedious ones). I'd also read that, based on some digging into the game's code, the 8-ball concept might have originally been a Ranked mode that was scrapped. It'd make sense, though I'm not sorry that it was scrapped (seems like it'd be even more chaotic than a typical Rainmaker match). [image]

- Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
Spent my 4th of July killing Nazis. This was a pretty solid action/shooter, though some of the shootout scenes were just a little too chaotic in my opinion—even on normal difficulty the heavy enemies are bullet sponges, but when you peek out of cover you get shredded instantly. Still, it was a lot of fun, and gory and bloody. [image]

- Wulverblade (Switch)
Another one of those games that emulates too much bad old game design. Moving is so choppy and oftentimes two enemies is enough to stun-lock you into massive damage. Still, I enjoyed all of the details about historical Britain, though it ends up being quite a lot to read. [image]

- Absolver (PS4)
I played enough to finish the "story" content and…meh. The game never clicked with me, it just felt like awkward, unsatisfying combat mechanics. I can see how it might be more interesting if you put a lot of time into perfecting the mechanics though. [image]

C : 69

O: 75

One game I finished this year that gets next to no attention and is extremely obscure is Lifesigns: Surgical Unit, a surprisingly good game realized during the peak of DS visual novels. 

Lifesigns definitely has the nostalgia factor of games like Phoenix Wright but I wouldn't simply call it a mix of that and Trauma Center.  Not only did Lifesigns almost entirely inspire Trauma Center but it's a great game in its own right, with a strong emphasis on relationships between characters while almost completely resisting the urge of falling into dating sim territory.  What I appreciated most about it was all the detailed medical lingo, and I actually learned a lot about surgical medicine while playing.  Not exactly useful for me, but the more you know... I like learning from my games.  Sometimes the surgeries felt like Cooking Mama mini-games, which is the risk of really any medical simulator game, but the tone, context and characters were deep enough to sustain the illusion of an operation.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE (Wii U)

I actually beat this a week ago but it kept slipping my mind to share it here. 

It's really good. The moniker "Persona Emblem" fits the game well since does a good job of blending together the familiar gameplay systems of Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. I didn't find the characters or story particularly compelling but they're still enjoyable enough to give the battles themselves a lot of appeal. It's definitely one of my favorite RPGs, I've already been replaying it for the extra content.

- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Switch)

Maybe it's because I played this pretty much back to back with The New Order, but I think the first game is better. This one has some strange differences, like stealth is much harder but frontal assaults are somewhat easier. Still, it's a fun crazy-action game, and there are some intense scenes in the story. [image]

- The Mooseman (Switch)
Beautifully atmospheric and a genuinely interesting look at a European/Eastern European mythology. They could've developed the gameplay a little more to make it feed into/blend with the storytelling but it's still a unique little game, especially for a fairly low price. [image]

- Candle: The Power of the Flame (Switch)
Gorgeous graphics and a lot of fun, classic adventure game puzzles, but there were too many puzzles that were just obnoxiously difficult. [image]

- Crash Bandicoot (Switch)
Never played this on the PSX so my first impression in 2018 is: yikes. I know this was an early 3D platformer but man there's a lot of shitty game design here. [image]

- Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (Switch)
Big improvement over the previous game but still a little rocky a times. Naughty Dog sure does love the whole running into the foreground chase level. [image]

C : 74

O: 80