Video Games Finished in 2018

Gold

3 minutes ago, XLW said:

5/23- Mega Man 1 (MMLC) for Switch. 

The fun thing about this game is abusing the heck out of the rewind button. Trial and error is next to obsolete when you have time-travelling deus ex manchina. I finished this game in about five hours... Though, I planned on playing it later on today because it was really, really into the night.  

With that said... Even with the rewind button aside, this game isn't perfect. The difficulty of almost all of the enemies, some cheap hazard placement, and Mega Man's slippery momentum at times bundled with his weight make this game ancient. But, I will complement Mega Man's ability to change weapons to suit any possible situation, the music, the visual feel, and the basic story (even though there's not a single sentence of dialogue or narration in the game, you still have some kind of idea by beating these other robots; they are bad, you have to stop them). The first game does have its merits in video gaming, and it shows, even though some of the stuff it has should not work in today's world of video gaming. 

But, here's to playing what is considered to be the best of the Classic games: 2.  

PSEdit: After thinking about it carefully, this game was close to being in my top 100. 

Oh the hazards are hella cheap. What's fun with this particular title is abusing the hell out of the Elec-Man weapon glitch. Also, one thing I love about this compilation is they tell you every enemies weakness in the Database. And Auto-fire is great. And Rewind is phenomenal.

13 minutes ago, XLW said:

Really? It surprisingly didn’t work for me. Used rewind like heck as a backup plan though for IT. 

Wait, I didn’t see auto fire as well.  

And... I didn’t see THAT until I beat the game. Just used the rewind button and luck to help me there.

You mash the L button to pause/un-pause.

Also, it's in the button mapping for auto-fire, I think X is default but I re-mapped to A. Shoots 3 quick shots off.

Beat: Sakura Magical Girls, PC

Winged Cloud was one of those companies that got caught up in the recent Steam news, with Valve going after a bunch of visual novels, many of which had been on the service for years, telling them to clean up their act. They've backtracked, but not before a lot of these companies got their games onto other services, like GOG.

q3Twsz8.jpg

5/33- Mega Man 2 (MMLC) for Switch. 

2 is a lot better than Mega man 1 for sure! The story takes place after 1, and Dr. Wily has built eight robot masters to ensure his world domination! With the help of Dr. Light again, Mega Man takes off. But, I really love the intro scene to the game, as it goes from part of a skyscraper, to Mega Man being on the roof. And the music... oh soon good. What they did for the soundtrack is WONDERFUL. Dr. Wily Fortress 1-2 is some of the best pieces of video game music history! LOVE IT! And I think they did a lot better with visual flair too. The gameplay is about the same. The best part is acquiring new weapons, especially the most OP of his career: THE METAL BLADES! They don't take much energy, and they can be shot in eight angles. No other weapon can touch it! And, I used the replay button less because the difficulty wasn't too absurd (even though I played U.S. hard.) Still, it's not as bad as 1 when difficulty comes to mind, as well as hazards. Sure, there's still the same problem with Mega Man's movements, and there are some hazards and enemies and bosses that drove me nuts. It's just not as problematic as 1's. E-Tanks got their first start here, so Mega Man can replenish health more. They especially helped at the end of the game. I didn’t put the first Mega Man 1 on my list because of unfair game design and Mega Man’s control. Besides Mega Man movements still being an issue for me, it’s a lot fairer in 2. Mega Man 2 is considered to be the best in the classic series, even if there’s grounds for 3 as well. I haven’t played 3 yet, so that’s one thing I need to think about! 

5/24- Mega Man 3 (MMLC) for Switch.  

Although I loved the set-up to 2's story, this one is much better. This time, Dr. Wily helps build a robot with Dr. Light. However, eight robot masters have gone maverick again, and it seems a new shady robot with a catchy whistle theme is behind it all. Once again, you must save the day. The music and visual set-pieces are fantastic as always, though I think 2's is miles better, but the levels complement the robot masters a bit more here. Game-play has gotten a bit better thanks to Rush, Mega Man's new robo-dog companion, and the slide feature, though it does not helped it's mapped to the same button as the jump button. The weapons can never hold a candle to 2's, but Shadow Blade is the closest thing to Metal Blade.  Had to do a lot of rewinds because of that. I think 3 is perhaps easier than 2, except for the 2/3rd part of the game and for good reason.  

Mega Man 3 is great. Mega Man 2 set a high bar however that made future sequels hard to contend with it. I think 3's just as great as 2. It will be a hard time determining which is better. 

Edited by XLW

@XLW Can you do me a favor and start putting your quoted parts in spoilers? Or not doing the quote thing and just keep a master post somewhere? It's been making scrolling on mobile a nightmare and its starting to take a long time on pc too now. Thanks.

They should be the same number. 

But, I KNOW what you're talking about. 

The Doc Robots, right? The ones that copy abilities of Robot Masters from 1 and or 2? Yeah, I have a beef with those, especially since it's not clear at first HOW you take them down this time, since you acquire different powers from those Robot Masters they copy. I'm pretty sure I ran into the one that copies Metal Man, and taking that one down wasn't easy. Not to mention, the stages they occupy do get a lot crazier with obstacles and enemies. 

Edited by XLW
1 minute ago, XLW said:

They should be the same number. 

But, I KNOW what you're talking about. 

Hide contents

The Doc Robots, right? The ones that copy abilities of Robot Masters from 1 and or 2? Yeah, I have a beef with those, especially since it's not clear at first HOW you take them down this time, since you acquire different powers from those Robot Masters they copy. I'm pretty sure I ran into the one that copies Metal Man, and taking that one down wasn't easy. Not to mention, the stages they occupy do get a lot crazier with obstacles and enemies. 

Correct. The original 8, twice as is tradition, then another 8.

3 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

Correct. The original 8, twice as is tradition, then another 8.

I felt like that was unnecessary padding to one of my favorite Mega Man games so far. 

No really, I just had much fun with 3 as I did with 2. I don't know which is better, so I think they're as equally great. 2 did better than 3 in some areas, and vice-versa. I just love what each brought to the series and what that mean for not only the series, but possibly other video games. Choosing either would be like choosing to each between an apple or a banana for me. Both are healthy, so naturally, I'd eat them both. Maybe that's a horrible simile or the like, but you know what I mean.  

My next dilemma is knowing that the games afterwards are just... okay. Except for maybe 6, 9, and 10. 

Here's my comparison and critical analysis of Mega Man 2 and 3.

3 has a better story than 2. Dr. Wily this time around builds a robot with Dr. Light, and there are eight robot masters causing havoc. There's also that SHADY ROBOT that's like a rival to Mega Man in this game, but we know who it is. It doesn't start out with Dr. Wily as the plot point until the 3rd act, even though now that's common knowledge. Plus, a rival to Mega Man? Count me in! 

I think the visuals are better in 3 as well. Actually, maybe it's the fact that I think 3's level design for the Robot Masters is so far my favorite. Maybe it's me, but the set-pieces, obstacles, and enemies suit each Robot Master's theme better than what 1 and 2 did. 

2 still has the better music. One cannot forget the intro theme, the stage select, and Dr. Wily's Fortress 1 & 2. 

2 brought E-Tanks to the series, while 3 brought Rush and the Slide mechanic. While I love Rush, since it's better than Items-1-3, sliding was a curse in disguise, since it's mapped to the same button as the jump ability. Sometimes when I wanted to jump, I accidentally slid, and vice-versa. So, both tie there for me. 

Now, let's talk about the weapon wheel. Easily, 2's most well-known weapon is THE METAL BLADE. Great damage, great range, and it doesn't consume much energy. It's the most famous of Mega Man's classic weapons. Crash Bomber perhaps is the most situational, since it's necessary for that PESKY BOSS IN WILY FORTRESS 3/4. Time Stopper is useful for Quick Man's stage, and Quick Man himself. But, that's maybe it for its usefulness. Quick Boomerang is an ideal 2nd to THE METAL BLADE. Bubble Lead... was perhaps the biggest surprise of the game. The rest are okay too.  

Now, onto 3's wheel. Gemini Laser is horrible in some regards, since it moves directions when hitting walls and you can only fire one. Hard Knuckle is a little tricky to pull off, especially for those enemies who JUMP. Magnet Missile only works when it feels like it. (Seriously, how is this one 50/50? Aren't robots made out of things that can be magnetized?! I wanted THIS to be the new Metal Blade, since it's homing capabilities are good.) Needle Man is a slightly better version of the Peashooter to begin with. Search Snake is fine for the normal enemies that are smaller than Mega Man, but like Hard Knuckle, doesn't do well with those who JUMP. SHADOW BLADE is perhaps of the bunch, since it's similar to METAL BLADE... But, it's range is not as long, and it consumes more energy. Spark Shock... Now that I know what it is, I can say it did not do me any favors, as I thought it was like a basic large shot of energy, like the charged shot of Mega Man X. Top Spin is perhaps the most situational and the biggest surprise. 

Sorry, but it seems like 3's weapons are mostly situational and only work when needs be, although SHADOW BLADE is clearly the best, even if it doesn't hold a candle to THE ALMIGHTY METAL BLADE. 

As for bosses... well, here's where things get tricky. I felt like 2's Robot Masters were challenging but easier to pull off than 1's. 3's just felt like the easiest so far. As much as I like stuff to beat down in seconds, that doesn't match the satisfaction of beating a boss you spent a healthy amount of time with. It's not fun if you have to don't have to PLAN and THINK. However, this is where things get tricky. 3 also had DOC ROBOTS, which copied abilities of Robot Masters from 1/2. While it's clever to know what kind of difficulty progression 3 was going for, it doesn't help that the 2/3rd section IS the hardest section of the game, and the 3/3rd mark is comparatively easier. To be real, there's that one SUPER-BOSS Helmet-thing which sends out little helmet guys seconds after seconds. It turns out those little guys can be taken down easy, and they drop ENERGY and HEALTH RECOVERY... and LIVES. While there's no way to move past the big thing, and taking it down takes time, naturally I auto-fired, and rewinded at times the BIG GUY sends out balls. Not only did I refill my health and most of the weapons' energies, but I had about 13 lives by the end of this game, compared to what I had in 1 & 2. Except for the bosses, the 3/3rd mark is a breeze. Instead of like a steady incline, the difficulty results in a frown. (Then again, it shouldn't be a smile either, because making a player feel safe after the first round of challenge, only to surprise them with another challenge would probably break some people. Difficulty should not flow un-evenly.) And the SHADY CHARACTER does the same patterns in the 1/3rd and 2/3rd of the games, so he doesn't help. Compared to 2, the game is only in two halves, but it feels like the end-game is harder. It really tests everything you have so far. The turtle-maker from 3 does not have the same challenge as the dragon from 2. You have enough space with the turtle-maker, but there's only a few platforms while fighting the dragon. Actually, before you meet it, the dragon chases you for a while. So, the dragon has a larger presence. Next is the floor-deleter versus... YELLOW DEVIL MARK II. Both are hard to face, but since the YELLOW DEVIL is the worst designed boss of all time, I'll give it to floor-deleter. At least that thing's easier to figure out. So... before the boss rematches, 2 has 2 more bosses, while 3- 1. So, I'll say that I've fought Copy Robot in I, and at least Guts Tank and THOSE THINGS are a bit easier to maneuver around when it comes to attacks. Skipping the boss rush. Now onto the Wily Machines. Once again, I'll choose space as a deciding factor, so I'll take 2 over 3. Not only does 3 have the usual bullets to deal with, but those annoying tilts or whatever along with the machine's movements make Wily Machine 3 a pain to work with. The last bosses are a joke, though. The alien can be taken down by bubbles, and the big guy can be taken down by a spinning attack! So, if it's not clear, I'll take 2's bosses over 3's.  

As for the ending... 3's better. There's no excuse for Mega Man not to arrest or take down Dr. Wily at the end of 2... thus HE'S responsible for 3 if you think about it. But, Dr. Wily's castle collapses in 3, so Mega Man didn't have the time to that time around.

Last, I want to talk about difficulty. While I feel like 2 hits around somewhere around the challenging but fair mark, 3 is about 75% easy, some bosses and 1/3rd of the game as the exception. Still, I'd take a great challenge over something I can breeze through. It's not engaging if you feel like something is pathetically easy. I don't know know if it's a good comparison, but I feel like Final Fantasy VI is to Mega Man 2 as Final Fantasy V is to Mega Man 3. The first two games I mentioned offers difficulty at a good pace, while the latter two feel easier to beat (and it doesn't help that I felt BORED playing V at times, which I think is a gaming SIN). Ease might at times creates BOREDOM, and I feel like that's one of the deadly seven sins of video gaming. But that aside, comparing Mega Man 3 to Final Fantasy V might be horrible. If Mega Man 3 wasn't hard in some cases, and if it was decent in the areas that I think it excels at, then I wouldn't put in the same plane as 2, and THERE'S where I truly would compare the two (V/2).

So, I think 2 does better when it comes to music, the weapons, the bosses, and the over-all difficulty progression, and I think 3 does better when it comes to story, the visual feel, the level design, and the ending. See what I mean that both are equally as great and that both stand on their own merits? But, none of them are out-right HORRIBLE and are as a pain to deal with than 1. Maybe you can find point out some problems and so on with my arguments, but maybe my opinion can be helpful in some regards.

- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)

Game is as good as it was four years ago. It's a bit of a shame that Funky mode is a whole separate mode though. I would've preferred to be able to switch to him anytime. [image]

- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (Switch)
Still a lot of fun, and wow with all of the DLC there is an almost exhausting amount of content in this game. [image]

- Sine Mora Ex (Switch)
Meh, this shoot 'em up really didn't pull me in. Tying your health to the time remaining is kind of a neat idea but functionally doesn't really change much. [image]

- Runner3 (Switch)
Another really fun, difficult Runner game. Double jump and fast drop really change things up, however I did not like the fact that you had to replay levels a few times in order to collect everything; I would've rather just had different levels. [image]

- Punch Club (Switch)
Novel concept but in practice it feels more like work than entertainment. Stat decay really puts a damper on the whole game—at the very least I would've preferred the decay was less severe. [image]

Challenge complete: Silver 8 ) I Can’t See My Character – Beat a bullet hell game [Sine Mora Ex]

C : 55

H: 5

P: 0

M: 0

O: 60

Challenges: 19 points