Video Games Finished in 2018

Gold

- Uncanny Valley (PS4)

Could've been a decent adventure/horror game but the whole concept of multiple endings/playthroughs really sucks the life out of the game. The first half isn't interesting enough to warrant replaying it over and over, and then the second half ends up being really difficult and unforgiving. A normal linear game with checkpoints/saves would have been much more enjoyable. [image]

- Oxenfree (Switch)
Cool indie adventure/thriller, but it'd be better if the game respected the player's time a little more. A lot of the walking is filled in by dialogue but a lot is also just slow and bland, which doesn't encourage exploring or finding collectibles. Still, I did like the story. [image]

- Skyrim (Switch)
I mostly focused on the main story quests so this didn't actually take me that long to finish, though I also did the Mage College quests since I was playing a mage. The sheer size of the game is still really impressive, and it runs pretty well on the Switch. [image]

- Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Loved this game; it was the right mix of sandbox gameplay but not so overwhelming large that you get burned out on it all. I really appreciate the variety of combat approaches too, even though I mostly stuck to just a few strategies. I can see the developers getting at least one or two sequels out of this and I really hope they do it well 'cause there's a lot to live up to here. [image]

- Tokyo Crash Mobs (3DS)
What a weird game. Pretty fun, but I got annoyed by the controls too often. [image]

Challenges updates:
Bronze 6) Superman – Beat a superhero videogame [Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions]
Silver 2) Furry – Beat a game where you play as an animal [Sonic Forces]
Silver 6) Perfectionist – 100% a game (ex: all achievements/trophies obtained, all stars in a Mario game, ect) [Horizon Zero Dawn]
Silver 10) Gender Equality – Beat a game with a female protagonist [Horizon Zero Dawn]

C: 8

H: 2

P: 0

M: 0

O: 10

Challenges: 10 points

Been meaning to post here but decided to wait until I beat my first game this year. Finally did so yesterday!

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)

I started playing this game as soon as it came out about a year ago but eventually made enough time to see it to the end. This is just as much of a slow burn RPG as the last two games despite the main narrative's overall shift to a story of a smaller scale, so it continues to require even more patience from players to sell you on it. It's hard to recommend because it only really works so well because of the investments players are expected to have made by playing the previous two, but the payoff of the world building and character development that transpire in the 3rd is pretty much one of a kind in gaming. As dated and technically unimpressive as the game is by today's standards, the experience that the game delivers can only be fulfilled by incredible talent and care. I had a great time playing this game and it's going to stick with me for a long time.

Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend

Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend

A Hat in Time 

Transistor - I've played Transistor before, but this was my first time finishing it. This game will mess you up emotionally. It's also one of the best cases for games as art I've seen in a good long while. Every part of the game exudes this lonely melancholic desperation, and the unfolding love story between Red and the Transistor makes for a heartbreaking narrative crux. The soundtrack is a real winner, too, not only in the quality of melodies on offer but in the artful execution of sound design. It fades in Ashley Barrett's stunning vocals at just the right moments to create something that always compliments the narrative. I'm looking forward to Bastion and Pyre. 

- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PS4)

It's weird to say but the most interesting thing about these Deus Ex games is everything you don't do. It's really cool to look back and see all of the different paths you could have taken. Overall I liked the game but I was really surprised by the relatively short length; there are really only a handful of full-length missions in the game. [image]

- Kirby Battle Royale (3DS)
Some good mini-games but not a lot of depth here. It makes an okay party game but I don't see it having the lasting appeal of other multiplayer games. [image]

- Siesta Fiesta (3DS)
An interesting take on the Breakout formula, and surprisingly difficult to get gold medals. [image]

- Dandara (Switch)
Really liked the game's style and the movement system is novel but the game can also be really tedious at times. Mostly I wish it didn't have the Dark Souls thing of losing XP when you die. That and more frequent save points. [image]

- I Am Setsuna (Switch)
Finally got around to playing this. For the most part I did like it and I'm happy to see the dual-/triple-tech system finally return in another game, but wow, this game is loaded with little details that just aren't adequately explained to the player, or are incredibly tedious, like trying to find the right materials for obtaining Spritnites. I can't believe some of this stuff got through QA, it's just so inconvenient for the player. [image]

C: 11

H: 4

O: 15

2/11: Dragon Ball Fighterz (PS4)

Beat the story mode and all the normal versions of arcade modes. I had a blast with Dragon Ball Fighterz. I feel like it is best described as Smash Bros meeter Marvel vs Capcom. It has the simplicity of controls of Smash, literally, all the characters have the same basic commands but with the fast-paced 3v3 battles and super moves of a Marvel game. The fact that I got into Dragon Ball Z Abridged in this last year definitely helped sell the game for me. The story mode is actually pretty decent. The third arc has some tediously long slogs that only allowed a couple of characters but overall the story was actually pretty fun and the character interactions were great! Honestly, it was a better story than some of the "real" Dragon Ball Z/Super Arcs in my opinion. I'm excited to put more time into actually getting decent against real players but the single player offerings were more than enough to make me feel satisfied with my purchase. That alone feels like it's a "high standard" for fighting games lately. 

Spoiler

Igneous42 2018 games Beaten

1/20: Fire Emblem Warriors
2/11: Dragon Ball FighterZ

Total - 2

Edited by Igneous42
47 minutes ago, XLW said:

Legit question: 

DOKI DOKI LIT CLUB SPOILERS:

Hide contents

I got the bad ending where my childhood friend commits suicide. It's the not conventional game over, so I did beat it, right? Not all endings have to be happy, right? Does this technically count as finished? 

No, because the way DDLC works is that is act 1. You have a ton more to go before an actual ending.[/spoilers]

On 1/23/2018 at 9:19 AM, XLW said:

XLW's list:  

1) Console – 1
2) Handheld – 0
3) PC - 1
4) Mobile – 0
5) Overall – 22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

1/23- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for NS. 

I never really got into XCX as much as I did XC, so getting into the sequel of one of my favorite games wasn't easy. Although the combat changed a little bit because of the elemental powers and because of Blades (powerful beings that bond with Drivers, their mortal counterparts), it was still understandable on the way. I love the new characters and the new world,  Alrest. And I even love the plot, even though it's confusing at times because of the matter of war and politics. Some other problems were the vocal synchs and some odd graphical glitches/loading things. But, add in some genuine funny and sad moments, a great soundtrack as usual, and some messages to think about, this game tops right up there with the first game. 

I don't know where this will fit into my Top 100. Even this is a game that I beat in 2018, I'll let it slide, and put it in my 2017 Top 100 List Edition.  

Now to make that finally.  

2/19- Doki Doki Literature Club for PC. 

The heck did I just play?!

There. Did it. There should be a platinum challenge for enduring Doki Doki Literature Club. 

Edited by XLW
- Knack (PS4)
I went into this expecting it to be not that great but I'm still kind of surprised by how truly bland the game is. I had assumed that the whole thing where Knack can get bigger or smaller would have at least some sort of gameplay impact but it was really pretty pointless. [image]

- The Fall Part 2: Unbound (Switch)
Been waiting years for this one, and overall it holds up well to the first The Fall. I wish it wasn't planned to be a trilogy though; I really want to see this story's conclusion! [image]

- Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon (Switch)
Putting aside all of the fan-service character design, the actual gameplay is incredibly repetitive. Felt like I was doing the exact same thing from beginning to end. [image]

- Super Mario World (SNES Classic)
I actually got the SNES Classic for Christmas but I've just been busy with other games. Finally hooked it up and played through SMW the christen the system, and expect a lot more finished SNES Classic games from me over the next few months. I really need to get a wireless controller though. Anyway, SMW was overall a lot easier than I remember it being, and shorter too. I still need to finish the Special Road levels though, and I know those'll be rough. [image]

- Super Mario Kart (SNES Classic)
Good lord, I remember that SMK is a lot less forgiving than later Mario Kart games but I had forgotten how brutal it can be in very basic ways, like the super narrow tracks and AI racers just constantly bumping into you. [image]

C: 16

H: 4

O: 20

first time doing this, so I'm gonna just post everything I've bean since January 1 2018. 

PS4:

Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (PS4)

Okami HD (PS4)*

LIfe is Strange (PS4)

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

Nintendo 3DS:

Dragon Quest VII (N3DS)

PSP:

Blazblue Calamity Trigger (PSP)

Blazblue Continum Shift II (PSP)

(for blazblue, by beat, I mean beating true ending in story mode--i.e. didn't unlock every side ending). 

and yes, i realize it's 2018 and I'm playing a PSP.

Edited by Adol