2018's biggest questions for Switch owners

It's pretty interesting that in the midst of the other Toys to Life series dying off Nintendo has only been announcing more of their own category. No word out of Lego Dimensions, Disney Infinity is no more and Skylanders is on the way out.  Heck, at TRU all Skylanders figures that came before the most recent game were on sale for .50 for much of the holiday season.  We're talking figures that used to be priced as high as $15.99 too.

Yeah, I'll just focus on what we know is coming with little bit of speculation.

I'm still doing a wait and see on the online now for Switch with MK8DX and Splatoon 2, so far the play as smooth or just marginally better (and I mean that by the smallest of margins) so the price and this classic selection of games per month with online multiplayer added is cool. Other than that, until I hear more deets on the online, I'm the boarder of excitement for Nintendo online in 2018.

We know that Kirby, Yoshi, Bayonetta 1&2, and FE is coming out this year so that's cool but I would like to see some word on Smash 4 DX. It is time This October will make it 4 years since the release of Smash 4. (it's been that long, it may not seem like because of the DLC back in early 2016 that ended there) The longest we have not go without Smash is 8 years from Melee to Brawl, while Brawl to Smash 4 was 6 years. We're reach the point where next Smash will be in development in the next year or two at most so, Nintendo might repackage Smash 4 or just wait another 2 years for the new one. I'll be happy with either option because; one Switch will games to play on to keep me busy, two if they do release Smash 4 DX it only make this system be more attractive when the next Smash comes along.

Pokemon and MP4. Pokemon, I feel will be this holiday and MP4 early to mid next year.

Anything I come up with will be to speculative than Pokemon and MP4, so I'm gonna leave it at that.

Edited by DLurkster
34 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

. It is time This October will make it 4 since the release of Smash 4. (it's been that long, it may not seem like because of the DLC back in early 2016 that ended there) The longest we have not go without Smash is 8 years from Melee to Brawl, while Brawl to Smash 4 was 6 years. We're reach the point where next Smash will be in development in the next year or two at most so, Nintendo might repackage Smash 4 or just wait another 2 years for the new one. I'll be happy with either option because; one Switch will games to play on to keep me busy, two if they do release Smash 4 DX it only make this system be more attractive when the next Smash comes along.

I had never looked at the time gaps between Smash releases but I think we all know that a a game like it, with that many varied characters and that many to balance out in a game of this style that it takes a while to do.  I think the WiiU's life ended so soon that they hadn't really gotten into serious Smash 5 thoughts on a new system based on the time windows.  I would bet a Smash DLX hits this year and 2 years from now we get Smash 5 for Switch.  I'd put money on a Inkling character, a ARMS character, Ice Climbers and possibly one other Nintendo character to make a DLX add on set.  I think there might be only 1-2 3rd party add ons that could make a DLX edition but most likely any significant 3rd party character will be a Smash 5 character.  I'd say that for the 3rd party one as it might have to get negotiated out and then balanced and created to work so its window would be longer.  That said, I think Mrs. Pac Man (via Pac Man) and say Proto Man (or along that line) could be real easy to add in as the main asset is already there.  Costumes for Mii Fighters would be real easy to do.

23 hours ago, Kezay said:

It's pretty interesting that in the midst of the other Toys to Life series dying off Nintendo has only been announcing more of their own category. No word out of Lego Dimensions, Disney Infinity is no more and Skylanders is on the way out.  Heck, at TRU all Skylanders figures that came before the most recent game were on sale for .50 for much of the holiday season.  We're talking figures that used to be priced as high as $15.99 too.

I think Nintendo has a nice advantage in this category because their diehard fans will buy amiibo even if they do nothing.

I fall into this category. I have scanned amiibo for in-game stuff, but I never buy them for that. I buy amiibo to decorate my bedroom and my office with characters that I love. 

Disney had something similar going for them (I bought a few Infinity toys). Infinity didn't end because it was unsuccessful. It ended because Disney gave the axe to the entire video game division.

Simply put, I think there is still life in amiibo. Nintendo just needs to be careful and not saturate the market with tons of characters that no one wants (see: Animal Crossing).

Atm Im mainly curious about if we do get some type of deluxe Smash title this year, (Base Game + DLC and possibly some content from the 3DS version?)  If that would affect the pricing or not - the Cost of the DLC was a bit pricey to be quite honest

Though since i don't have it for Wii U or any of the DLC i don't know what the total amount it comes to (depending on if it's just for Wii U/3DS versions seperately or the 3DS/Wii U bundle sets - no idea how much the pricing differs between the two)

....So would it be possible for them to keep it at a $60 pricepoint as the original or would it be priced higher than that with all/most of the bells and whistles that are included for the Switch version/port?

On 1/3/2018 at 2:20 PM, Kezay said:

It seems like from what they Tweeted back in October there wont be any new Packs beyond whats available - so it seems like LEGO Dimensions is done for the time being

But it looks like Lego Dimensions is over and done, though im not sure if that leaves the door open for a sequel way down the road or not

Although it's unfortunate, im slightly relieved since i only have 8 Packs/2 Polybags left to obtain - at least i won't have to worry about buying anything else beyond that

Edited by Shadow118
19 minutes ago, Shadow118 said:

Atm Im mainly curious about if we do get some type of deluxe Smash title this year, (Base Game + DLC and possibly some content from the 3DS version?)  If that would affect the pricing or not - the Cost of the DLC was a bit pricey to be quite honest

Though since i don't have it for Wii U or any of the DLC i don't know what the total amount it comes to (depending on if it's just for Wii U/3DS versions seperately or the 3DS/Wii U bundle sets - no idea how much the pricing differs between the two)

....So would it be possible for them to keep it at a $60 pricepoint as the original or would it be priced higher than that with all/most of the bells and whistles that are included for the Switch version/port?

I believe your thoughts are spot on on price.  They didn't jack up MK8DLX's price based on the $16 worth of DLC so.....   Then again, Smash's stuff was WAY more expensive.  But, for a close to 4 year old game I doubt they up the price BUT....  lets say.....  Smash 4 WiiU + 3DS stages, costumes, and fighters @ $60 then have a DLC pack for 2-4 new characters stages to round it out?

On 1/3/2018 at 3:20 PM, Kezay said:

I bought the Skylanders pack for the Wii with Bowser in it for like $3 bucks before Christmas. It came with the game to. Maybe it was actually 5 bucks but I couldn't believe how cheap it was. It's crazy how all of the Toys to Life series are coming to a close, while Nintendo is still going strong with theirs. I can see them being around for a good majority of the Switch's life span if not all of it if they play their cards right. 

It's sad to see Lego and Disney infinity go, including Skylanders so it seems. Never got a chance to play any of them, but I do have a few lego Back to the Future packs. It's crazy because these figures/series take a whole isle up at Toysrus. They must be relieved or either nervous because they are going to have a lot of free space soon. 

As for Amiibo this year, I feel like we have enough Kirby ones, but I'm open to new ones as long as they are something different and unique. Same goes for Yoshi to. As great as Fire Emblem goes, that seems to be the most popular one, and with a new game coming out, I'm sure there will be more in that line. For Pokemon, they should bank on collaborating with the TCG like they did with ereader. I feel like this could be bigger than ereader if you had trading card sets that go with Pokemon Switch that allows you to access certain items, moves and Pokemon, or battle certain trainers. I know the TCG is doing pretty well, especially since they have their own TCG now, but man I can see it becoming an instant sell out just like the 90s if they really do go down that road and execute it well.