1) paid online

--pricing

--structure

--benefits as opposed to the free window we have had for nearly year

2) virtual console

--Systems involved?

--Pricing?

--Official launch date

--Moving games over from Wii and WiiU VC purchases.

3) Smash Bros entry via port, special edition, or new entry?

4) What other major franchises hit in 2018?

--Yoshi and Kirby confirmed

--Star Fox, F Zero, ____?

A FOR FUN SIDEBAR:

New JC colors?

New Pro Controller colors?

Dare I say a system color itself?

As a game tie in or just because?

My answers I propose:

Paid online will hit at some point in 2018 and there is no other title from Nintendo's catalog that can get a purchaser to fork over money faster than a Smash Brothers release.  I am willing to bet that the paid online service launches with a Smash Bros release.  I'd be more willing to bet it is a Special/Deluxe edition of Smash 4 more so that moving onto Smash 5 based on the turnaround time generally associated with Smash games.

Virtual console I think will most likely also start sometime around the time that the paid online service comes to market.  This is loosely based on them saying a free NES or SNES game each month with the online service.  While one could legitly argue a "Virtual Console" could be any prior system I think the branding is tied more to the N64 era systems and prior.  GGN and Wii games are on a threshold of being a "re-release" upgrade kind of game versus a resurrection of a game in its original form.  I see no real roadblocks in getting the full NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, TG16/CD, and NeoGeo/CD ( depending on how these ACA editions of Neo Geo games are counted) catalogs that made it to the WiiVC.  I'm not sure if C64 or some of the Virtual Console Arcade games that appeared on the WiiVC will make it back.  I'd prefer no upgrade transfer fees if they take the full gamut of systems but I could understand a base version of a game  vs. an "online enhanced" version of a old game.

Mario Kart 8 DLX has my mind twisted on Smash going DLX or moving onto the next iteration.  I could see it going either way, but I think a Smash 5 would seem like less of a cash grab than porting 4 with some new characters and arenas.

Major franchises to hit the Switch in 2018 I'd like to see:

Smash Bros ( duh)

Super Mario Maker 2 --this time, seeing as the Switch is a home and portable console, it should also offer GB/GBC Mario game assets, SMB2 assets, and be able to have the Mystery Mushroom sprite upgrades across all the different assets of the game and not just the NES version.

Star Fox re-born as a online flight combat sim.

F Zero comes back as a graphical power reference game and allowing for online multiplayer racing.

Something from the Excite series again.  I really liked Truck and Bots from the Wii.  I can see these games making for strong Switch titles via online and local multiplayer.  If you go all the way back to Bike, then a return to the world of the Wii's World Rally would be an excellent choice and did a good job of using motion controls.

My sidebar answer: YES TO ALL!

Smash Bros would almost certainly get a custom JC AND PRO set like Splatoon 2.  I could see a "normal" red/blue set with maybe the Pro doing the different colored grips and a Smash logo on it somewhere.

I'd wonder to myself if Yoshi could net a "normal green" JC color.  Kirby likewise might could score his own color but with Neon Pink from Splatoon already out I'd doubt it.

I don't think Nintendo wants to give up the monetary potential of the these custom colored JCs being offered by others as replacement shells so I see some other colors coming.  If were to throw out ideas on that I would think a Gold Zelda one would be a natural choice.  Given their bright/neon color trend you would have to almost think about an orange one coming.  With the retro gaming craze going on, I would think they might look into using GCN, Wii, NES, SNES, and N64 color schemed ones.

Edited by purple_beard

I'll just start with this.

Screen-Shot-2017-06-01-at-8.31.11-PM.png

714x-1

Some of this could change before the time comes but as for right now, this is all we know.

I can definitely see more controller colors being made available whether it's the joy-con or the pro controller (more the joy-con than the pro). I could see Virtual Console being separate from the Classic Game Selection*. We do have Fire Emblem (not sure when) and the Pikmin game that hasn't been revealed yet. Most of their offerings will probably be revealed in due time. I honestly don't see Smash being ported or a new one being in the works so soon. Hopefully we hear of some more 3rd Party offerings. I'd like to see some Donkey Kong or something that involves Miis.

3 minutes ago, The Krazy One said:

I'll just start with this.

Screen-Shot-2017-06-01-at-8.31.11-PM.png

714x-1

Some of this could change before the time comes but as for right now, this is all we know.

From intial pricing talk from the initial launch direct to the last direct/update on pricing for paid online they have changed the prices and I think the current structure they put forth is slightly cheaper than their initial stated pricing.  Who is to say it won't change again.  I think the need to get a little more concrete on what we get and at what price.  That said, the longer they push back this paywall window the more the expectations grow for it to be A LOT BETTER than the current free offerings.

Launching the paid online subscription alongside Smash Bros. would be smart, though I can't say I'm all that interested in buying Smash 4 again, the same way I didn't buy Mario Kart 8 again. Maybe it'll launch alongside an entirely new game, a Star Fox game with multiplayer dogfights? A new Kid Icarus game with multiplayer like Uprising? Another Mario sports game?

I'm not really looking forward to a Virtual Console service either, to be honest. I bought a handful of VC games on the Wii, fewer on the 3DS, and fewer still on the Wii U. If the only VC games we get on the Switch are through the Classic Game Selection I wouldn't really mind.

More than ever it's hard to say what Nintendo has up its sleeves, since many games are given a very brief window between announcement and launch. I don't expect a new Smash Bros. to pop up out of nowhere but I could see something like Donkey Kong Country, a Wario title, or even Animal Crossing launch in the first half of 2018.

16 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

Launching the paid online subscription alongside Smash Bros. would be smart, though I can't say I'm all that interested in buying Smash 4 again, the same way I didn't buy Mario Kart 8 again. Maybe it'll launch alongside an entirely new game, a Star Fox game with multiplayer dogfights? A new Kid Icarus game with multiplayer like Uprising? Another Mario sports game?

I totally get your feelings on where you are coming from on that.  I would say that I got MK8DLX mainly because of the new battle arenas, new racers, and new karts, and the financial hit on double dipping was helped by being a GCU member at Best Buy.  Without that 20% off I would have gotten it eventually but I would probably waited for a killer sale unless a whole bunch of friends also got it.  That said, the Smash 4 debate has a few more aspects to it than Mario Kart.  The main one is the 3DS and the WiiU versions of the game had differing arenas.  A comprehensive arena list comprised of all the arenas of both games would be well worth it--especially if all the DLC can be included at the standard $60 price tag.  Then you could have a "real" Smash on the go or at home.  I did like the 3DS Smash so I am enticed by the aspect of portable play for the franchise.  I do think a Smash 5 would be a better way to go about it though, but with Nintendo doing MK8DLX instead of a MK9 I think there is some kind of port precedent set in that they'd do it.

I'm not really looking forward to a Virtual Console service either, to be honest. I bought a handful of VC games on the Wii, fewer on the 3DS, and fewer still on the Wii U. If the only VC games we get on the Switch are through the Classic Game Selection I wouldn't really mind. 

I think the VC aspect for me would be the fact that I could have all my retro games available to play at home OR on the go versus having to service a 3DS VC and a WiiU/WiiVC with multiple purchases for each game I'd want to have both ways.  To me, the Switch  would be the ultimate way to play all my classic and new games as they could be at home or on the go at the touch of a button.  I am interested to see how many Arcade Titles they try to put out there as that VCA from the Wii never got a lot of titles.

16 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

More than ever it's hard to say what Nintendo has up its sleeves, since many games are given a very brief window between announcement and launch. I don't expect a new Smash Bros. to pop up out of nowhere but I could see something like Donkey Kong Country, a Wario title, or even Animal Crossing launch in the first half of 2018.

I'm pretty sure FE Switch was confirmed for 2018. Between that and Project Octopath hopefully coming out in 2018 as well, I'm set. I don't really care much about online play (since I don't do multiplayers) or VC (since I still have all of my old systems and plenty of ways to play old games without spending more money on them once again). I guess I'm pretty easy to please. matty;

I think Nintendo's online service is going to be a disaster. They have two esports hits on their hands with Splatoon and Super Smash Bros., but they still cannot figure out basic online functionality like voice chat. Personally, I have little interest in these features. I rarely play online multiplayer games, and I never play them competitively, but it's odd that Nintendo seems to want to embrace esports but refuses to embrace the online functionality that makes them possible. 

The only feature they have announced so far that is of any interest to me is the "classic game selection." However, I'm prepared to be disappointed. I fully expect them to offer a handful of NES games at launch and slowly add more without ever providing games that are worthwhile. Sony and Microsoft are giving away retail games via their online service, and Nintendo will give us 30-year-old table scraps. 

On the off chance that Nintendo gets it right, it could be huge. Imagine if they made the entire WiiU virtual console library available to download and play as long as you have an active subscription. I would be all over that. 

Even without a subscription service, I am definitely looking forward to the virtual console. I am not a heavy virtual console user, but I've purchased many games over the years and I will continue to do so. However, I am tired of rebuying the same games over and over and over again. I really want Nintendo to let me move my 3DS and WiiU purchases to my Switch. At this point, I think there's a 50/50 chance of this happening. Nintendo does seem to be listening to fans right now, so I'm hoping this gets through.

As for the launch, anything less than NES, SNES, and N64 at launch is unacceptable, and it should be more. And maybe I'm a hopelessly naive fool, but I want Mother 3 to launch with it. And Ogre Battle 64. I need that on my Switch.

Regarding Smash Bros., it's a toss-up for me. I really don't know what to expect. I think Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Kirby are safe bets for next year, but I'm sure Nintendo has other surprises up there sleeve. My number 1 wish for next year is Ocarina of Time HD. It's the 20th anniversary, and I think it deserves recognition. It would be especially interesting to see the game remade in the Breath of the Wild engine and perhaps introduce some of the features that Breath of the Wild brought (simple things like stamina meter, unlimited bombs, climbing). But I would also be happy with a straight port of the 3DS game with improved visuals.

8 hours ago, L'Arachel said:

I'm pretty sure FE Switch was confirmed for 2018. Between that and Project Octopath hopefully coming out in 2018 as well, I'm set. I don't really care much about online play (since I don't do multiplayers) or VC (since I still have all of my old systems and plenty of ways to play old games without spending more money on them once again). I guess I'm pretty easy to please. matty;

Ohh yeah, that game will be quite nice. I got kind of stuck in the demo but I really liked it style.

12 minutes ago, WatcherJoshua said:

I think Nintendo's online service is going to be a disaster. They have two esports hits on their hands with Splatoon and Super Smash Bros., but they still cannot figure out basic online functionality like voice chat. Personally, I have little interest in these features. I rarely play online multiplayer games, and I never play them competitively, but it's odd that Nintendo seems to want to embrace esports but refuses to embrace the online functionality that makes them possible. 

I can't see the future to say it will be a disaster but your point on voice chat and connectivity functions is correct.

The only feature they have announced so far that is of any interest to me is the "classic game selection." However, I'm prepared to be disappointed. I fully expect them to offer a handful of NES games at launch and slowly add more without ever providing games that are worthwhile. Sony and Microsoft are giving away retail games via their online service, and Nintendo will give us 30-year-old table scraps. 

The Classic Game Selection does have an appeal to me as well.  And like you, I do feel they could bail on it like they did the VCA on the Wii.

On the off chance that Nintendo gets it right, it could be huge. Imagine if they made the entire WiiU virtual console library available to download and play as long as you have an active subscription. I would be all over that. 

Even without a subscription service, I am definitely looking forward to the virtual console. I am not a heavy virtual console user, but I've purchased many games over the years and I will continue to do so. However, I am tired of rebuying the same games over and over and over again. I really want Nintendo to let me move my 3DS and WiiU purchases to my Switch. At this point, I think there's a 50/50 chance of this happening. Nintendo does seem to be listening to fans right now, so I'm hoping this gets through.

Agreed on being able to bring over your whole collection like that.

As for the launch, anything less than NES, SNES, and N64 at launch is unacceptable, and it should be more. And maybe I'm a hopelessly naive fool, but I want Mother 3 to launch with it. And Ogre Battle 64. I need that on my Switch.

Agree on launch dump but there is one thing that I think a mass dump of all the games could work against, games getting lost in the shuffle.  I guess it would depend on the views of things at Nintendo, because releasing say 1 -3 games a week allows attention to be brought to those more easily than a mass dump that some people might not ever see games to look for or want to take to the eshop to find if they never knew it was there to begin with.

Regarding Smash Bros., it's a toss-up for me. I really don't know what to expect. I think Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Kirby are safe bets for next year, but I'm sure Nintendo has other surprises up there sleeve. My number 1 wish for next year is Ocarina of Time HD. It's the 20th anniversary, and I think it deserves recognition. It would be especially interesting to see the game remade in the Breath of the Wild engine and perhaps introduce some of the features that Breath of the Wild brought (simple things like stamina meter, unlimited bombs, climbing). But I would also be happy with a straight port of the 3DS game with improved visuals.

I ccould see an AC game considering they just brought out the mobile game.  OoT HD they way you present it sounds cool but I honestly tink SS is the next HD remake one.  Personally I am neither here nor there on that one.  I didn't get WWHD.   I only really got TPHD because of the super cool Wolf Link amiibo.

Although I want a Smash 5, I also want a Smash 4 port just because it's a good enough game where I'd like to have it on Switch and not have to fire up my Wii U to play it.  Plus, since there are two different versions of it, they could be consolidated into one really good definitive edition.

Minimum effort pitch:
-Based on Wii U version

-All 3DS stages
-All 3DS trophies

-All 3DS modes (mostly Smash Run)
-All DLC characters, stages, music, Mii costumes
-Ashley's Song V2 added to the international versions of the game.  Not sure why it wasn't in the first place.
-More palette swaps for Bowser Jr. and Olimar/Alph

-Reorganize character select screen

More effort pitch:
-Returning characters: Wolf, Ice Climbers.  I'm also not going to turn down Snake, Young Link, or Pichu, particularly since I wouldn't imagine the latter two would take a lot of effort to add.
-New characters: Inkling, Spring Man Ribbon Girl.  Add stages for these characters, of course.
-More returning stages.  I'd mainly focus on Melee, since most of the good stages have been added from Brawl and 64 doesn't have that many.  My top picks would be: Saffron City, Metal Cave, Fountain of Dreams, Green Greens, Mute City, Great Bay, Princess Peach's Castle, Spear Pillar, Frigate Orpheon.
-SSB64, Melee, and Brawl versions of Final Destination and Battlefield.  Because I dunno, I think that would be cool.
-Japanese and English voice options for characters where applicable
-Update Palutena's Guidance
-Custom moves for DLC characters (I don't really care about custom moves; this would mostly be for the sake of making everything equal.  Also, make it so that you can't unlock the same custom move twice because that shit is stupid.  Honestly they should just make all of the moves unlocked from the start.)
-Returning items: Cracker Launcher, Red Shell, Parasol, Flipper, Barrel Cannon, Cloaking Device.  Re-add the possibility for generic enemies to spawn from crates because I miss that.

-Alt-costumes for characters, limited in that they don't add other characters as alt costumes.  So PoR Ranger Ike, OoT Ganondorf, Fusion Suit Samus, Dry Bowser/Tuxedo Bowser, whatever else.

I agree about Smash 4 getting a definitive edition rather than a Smash 5 (at least for now). Smash 4 is still so new, so robust, I can't imagine them making a whole new game.

I think it will be similar to Mario Kart 8 DX - Add a few new characters and make everything unlocked from the start, including all DLC. They'll also add some stages/modes/music from the 3DS version. Hopefully a more competent online mode as well.

This is being hopeful, but I hope they do one final balance patch as well. That would be nice, but I would be okay if they didn't have it.

8 hours ago, Cryptic said:

-Alt-costumes for characters, limited in that they don't add other characters as alt costumes.  So PoR Ranger Ike, OoT Ganondorf, Fusion Suit Samus, Dry Bowser/Tuxedo Bowser, whatever else.

Link really needs some work on his costumes too. I'd like to see actual models, rather than just textures, for his Skyloft and Fierce Deity costumes, and also maybe an Ordon Ranch one and of course a BotW/Champion's Tunic costume.

I'm really curious as to how (if at all) the Virtual Console will return. And what Fire Emblem will look like.

It's 20 dollars a year.  It's piss cheap which is good, but I can still use the e-shop without it and I don't frankly give half a toss about online lobbies and chat since any monkey playing the Switch online at this point probably has something like Discord or Skype set up.  Still a bit bothersome that the only online game I care to play is Splatoon 2, but eh.

Probably going to be garbage because Nintendo's stringent as fuck about games they want to license on it, and they've preferred keeping certain VC libraries separate based on console.  It's probably their biggest miss opportunity, but on the other hand I can buy Romancing Saga 2 for some weird-ass reason.

No expectations or even expecting it to come out any time soon, even with the red herring trademark.  If a decade of trivial bullshit discussions on the Smash Board has taught me anything, is that expectations are pointless and frequently wrong involving what content we expect out of the series.  Still waiting on Daisy for my hispanic representation Sakurai, hurrrrrrrr.

Never F-Zero.

I'll wait and see about the online services. Not really interested to be honest since I rarely have time for any online play these days.

As far as big releases go, that's my biggest question. Kirby and Yoshi should keep us busy for the first quarter of 2018 while we also finish up Mario, Zelda, Xeno and other third party titles on the Switch. 

Not sure how far they are in development for MP4. I can see it being the big holiday release at the end of the year if they are getting close to completing it. I would like something huge though. I think Smash maybe the answer. I'm fine with an upgrade of WiiU or a new entry entirely. I agree it's only been three years so a port works to. Plus they are still selling Amiibo of the characters. 

I think they will promote Bayonetta really well. 

F-Zero I doubt it but if I'm wrong cool.

Wario Ware? Mario Party?  Maybe a new party game from one of those series?

I think Animal Crossing could also be huge, even though I don't play the series.

I expect we will get some kind of info on Pokemon Switch at E3

Fire Emblem is in 2018 to right?

Punch Out: Would love a new entry, but seeing as we just got Arms, I don't think this franchise will be back anytime soon.

I want Star Fox done right. I'll gladly take a port of Zero as long as the controls are right and turn of motion controls. 

Pikmin 4 is in development to, or another Pikmin entry.

My biggest interest for the Switch heading into 2018 is whether or not they will be bringing the next Pokémon game for the holiday window. I've seen speculation about Generation 8 as well as the possibility of either Kanto or Sinnoh remakes. If they were to get it out, I think it would be a major impact for the system's second year and a solid follow up to Mario's release late this year and all of the Switch's current momentum. I would also like to see how they make their paid online enticing in the sense of software release, and not so much another virtual catalog which has been a disappointment for most of the previous generation. I can see them putting a sandwich around when the pricing kicks off, one title being Super Smash Brothers for the Switch (enhanced Smash 4 port) and the other being Super Mario Maker 2. I would have Super Mario Maker 2 be the game that begins with a period of free online service due to its heavy reliance with all of the level sharing. I think Nintendo should have updates to its online games, like a free gift, for those that sign up for the new service: new weapon set in Splatoon 2, new ARMS set, etc.

5 hours ago, IU said:

My biggest interest for the Switch heading into 2018 is whether or not they will be bringing the next Pokémon game for the holiday window. I've seen speculation about Generation 8 as well as the possibility of either Kanto or Sinnoh remakes. If they were to get it out, I think it would be a major impact for the system's second year and a solid follow up to Mario's release late this year and all of the Switch's current momentum. I would also like to see how they make their paid online enticing in the sense of software release, and not so much another virtual catalog which has been a disappointment for most of the previous generation. I can see them putting a sandwich around when the pricing kicks off, one title being Super Smash Brothers for the Switch (enhanced Smash 4 port) and the other being Super Mario Maker 2. I would have Super Mario Maker 2 be the game that begins with a period of free online service due to its heavy reliance with all of the level sharing. I think Nintendo should have updates to its online games, like a free gift, for those that sign up for the new service: new weapon set in Splatoon 2, new ARMS set, etc.

Pokemon is a Pink Elephant in the room.... can a mainline game get in the 2018 window?

Interesting point on SMM 2  being a title to move into paid online with.

IMO the Smash 4 port vs. Smash 5 wouldn't even be in debate if they had not done MK8DLX for Switch.  That said, with that game coming out, a comprehensive port of Smash 4 from WiiU and 3DS isn't out of the question if they want to get something to market.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/feature_what_we_want_from_nintendo_in_2018

Posted these for ALT takes on my general idea.

Overall points that stuck out to me that were *slightly* different than my own...

Can Pokemon Switch make it for 2018?

--November big release title?

--I could argue a Pokemon title could be a online subscription moving type game even if Smash might have a wider fan base.

Bayo 3 in 2018?

--Agree that if 1 and 2 are early 2018 then you close out 2018 with #3

The take on Super Maker 2 is interesting.

My 5th question I'd add would be Amiibo

With all other Toys to Life pretty much dying off what happens to Nintendo's own line?

What new and/or old series gets figures?

--Smash Bros line 2?

**Re release line 1?

**Re release line 1 + NEW figures from Splatoon, Arms, and/or other to go along with it?

--A figure for Super Mario Maker?

--NEW Yoshi line?   I mean they did the Yarn Yoshis and Poochy for Woolly World so...

--New Mario Series figures for ____?

--New AC figures for new AC game?

**personally, I doubt this happens due to the lack of sales and surpluses that took forever to dwindle out of stock for their first foray into a big AC line.

--Pokemon line for Pokemon Switch?

--NA release of Box Box Boy?

--I believe Shovel Knight's new 3 pack is a 2018 release.