Kansas man killed by cops via swatting

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kan-man-killed-cops-victim-swatting-prank-article-1.3726171

It finally happened. after watching some swatting videos online of poor people playing games and livestreaming we finally have our first death because of swatting. This is terrible I remember watching those poor guys getting arrested because of someone being funny online and calling the damn cops. 

20 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Swatting?

Swatting is an act of calling the cops or 911 and sending a literal SWAT Team to the streamer's place, usually saying there's a hostage or shooting situation. Unfortunately there is no way to actually tell if it's real or fake since actual situations can change in a second if it's real. The article's situation is a pitch perfect example of it, but this is the first time it actually ended in bloodshed I believe.

Edited by avalonknight

The guy who called 911 is sick in the head. Like I feel he gets a rush doing this but this guy couldn't be more calm about this which makes this all the scarier and why he's sick in the head.

Terrible lost and I hope this sort of action dies down, it didn't have to come to this to make ppl realize this shit stupid and someone might die as a result of this.

To provide a bit of a law perspective, such as what charges could be brought up and all that, in the video.

Advance warning: Contains body cam footage between 0:30-0:40, even though a shot is heard, the video appears to cut before it struck the victim. Leonard French did warn about the footage as well, but just in case. Also putting this behind a spoiler to be on the safe side, you have been warned.

Spoiler

Though I do disagree on the sniper's decision to shoot a bit. (Someone brought up the provided cam footage was not the sniper's, so their perspective may be different.).  I hope after this, yes, tougher laws on swatting and these kinds of activities. There was suppose to be something in the works, but it's sad to see that this is what had to take to maybe speed it up. Not sure what else I can add to this conversation. But I think this is going to be one news story I'm going to continue to follow.

Edited by avalonknight
5 hours ago, Pichi said:

jesus this story is awful from every angle. moronic bottom-feeding gamers and disgusting, trigger-happy cops.
what more could you ask for

I'm in the US and every time I see a cop I automatically fear them more than I do a gang banger. There are simply just too many guns in the US heck I'm fearful that possibly one day I may meet my end with one.

I honestly feel the there should re-education in training for police in general. This shot first and ask question later is not excluded in Canada to, it may not be present like the US but it's here in Canada too.

With that said in this case and the vid that AvlonKnight posted, which I heard the recording of the guy arrested for the swatting before it was posted here, I agree what the lawyer said the the swat member did nothing wrong. Obviously from the vid we can't see but what lawyer explains that he acted with what he was told going to this address, so the problem not trigger happy authority (not in this case exactly) but how information is gathered and shared. Also, add in the fact there need to be better detecting for phone spoofing as well, there's a lot to blame what went wrong here but trigger happy cops is not one of them here.