Kanex Pro Composite/S-Video 720p upscaler Review/Rant

5a2fd566760a0_31OZjFx07L.jpg.a7ba655a440b124abc58bb6862b31a82.jpg

The Kanex line of upscalers  seems to be the most affordable solution to getting the best image quality out of your retro consoles.  This is a negative review about the 720p model shown above.  However, considering the rave reviews on their other models, I could have just gotten a lemon or gotten the wrong model.  I hope that this is a case of me trying to save a few bucks thinking that both models were similar (the 720p model is $68, the 1080p/4K model is around $99, both do Composite and S-Video).   That being said, this model is underwhelming and not worth the $68 I paid for it.   After having tried everything to get this piece of shit to work correctly I have given up on this model.  It's not very impressive and any visual gain is very minimal.  It also gives a "checker board" look which is common on many Upscalers that do a shit job.  This could also be due to my TV (55 inch Sharp Aquos) but it seems that the reviews on this specific model aren't as high as the 4K (I know reviews aren't always right but it's all I got to go off of).  I tested this on my GameCube and on my N64 and the picture quality was not the greatest.  That being said, I didn't notice any lag but I also didn't mess around with it enough to test for any noticeable lag (I was too disappointed in the device to give a shit).

For those who don't know the technical side of the N64, it only outputs in 240p and has built in anti-aliasing.  The anti-aliasing creates a blurred and pixelated image and looks as if someone smeared Vaseline all over your TV.  I bought this specifically for my N64 and up until now, the only real solution for the N64 as far as getting the best image quality is to either have it modded for HDMI or buy a mini Framemeister Upscaler.  Both would set you back several hundred or more and I am trying not to go that route.  I don't need "The Best" I need "Good."  I do mess around with video game capturing/editing which is one of my hobbies.  I take image quality pretty seriously but I am also not rich.  I am not trying to cut my N64 apart and I am not spending $300-$400 on a fucking Framemeister.  If people have that kind of money to throw at one, that is awesome and more power to you.  I am always on the lookout for new technologies or affordable solutions to get the best out of my systems.  

Unfortunately, this is not what I expected and is going straight back to Amazon.  I do have a Kanex Pro VGA Adapter that I got awhile back for the Dreamcast and that thing is truly awesome unlike this piece of shit. Another problem I ran into with this upscaler is that it forces your TV into 16:9 aspect ratio which is horrible for retro games.  My TV is capable of 4:3 through the TV menu but the strange thing is that it disables the option for me to put it in "Side Bar" and only allows for "Full Screen."  I thought that was weird and I also think that is pretty shitty.  I have already ordered the upgraded version of this that apparently allows for scan lines, has a scaling option for different aspect ratios, and has even more solid reviews than the 720p version. 

I will post a full review with side by side video showing regular Composite to S-Video through the 4K version when I get it, but this has been nothing but a headache and a huge waste of my time thus far.  Hopefully the 4K version is what the reviews were talking about.  I am not expecting miracles, I understand that the N64 has problems on HDTVs, but I am also am not expecting glitches and weird artifacts to show up.  The only good thing about this so far is I didn't notice any lag, so hopefully the new box fixes a lot of the issues I am having.  I know I am not the only collector of retro games on here and I know there is interest in affordable solutions.  However, this just isn't it for now.  

41-WnXZ0tzL.jpg

Edited by Irondog666

I run my N64 S Video out into my Denon Receiver and then that send the video out via Component to my 32" Samsung LCD tv from around 2005.  I don't believe the Denon changes the Component video to p from i if the native signal is i.  That said, yeah, the N64 games do look a little fuzzy on stuff that has defined edges.  In other words, my Dr Mario for N64 looks fuzzier than say MK64 does.   I had been using S Video on my N64 to any tv I have had since those kinds of cables hit the market because the upgrade of S Video over composite was totally worth the money in terms of clarity of image (whether it was SNES, N64, or GC).

Just my $.02, most of these upscalers and the like have so many variables to what you get on the tv from the system itself, to the scaler itself, to the tv itself and how it likes certain inputs that I almost don't really bother with them because of it.

9 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I run my N64 S Video out into my Denon Receiver and then that send the video out via Component to my 32" Samsung LCD tv from around 2005.  I don't believe the Denon changes the Component video to p from i if the native signal is i.  That said, yeah, the N64 games do look a little fuzzy on stuff that has defined edges.  In other words, my Dr Mario for N64 looks fuzzier than say MK64 does.   I had been using S Video on my N64 to any tv I have had since those kinds of cables hit the market because the upgrade of S Video over composite was totally worth the money in terms of clarity of image (whether it was SNES, N64, or GC).

Just my $.02, most of these upscalers and the like have so many variables to what you get on the tv from the system itself, to the scaler itself, to the tv itself and how it likes certain inputs that I almost don't really bother with them because of it.

I am pretty certain my Denon doesn't have S-Video, it has all the other components on it but I am pretty certain there is no S-Video output.  That is a big reason I looked into the Upscalers so I could hook my 64 up via S-Video.  Out of all the scalers I have come across it seems the only one that is promising outside of the ridiculously priced Framemeister is the Kanex Pro line.  The one that gets the rave reviews is the silver boxed 4K version and I really didn't think there was any discernable difference between the 720p version and the 4K version but it seems there might be.  Regardless I am on the hunt to get the best out of my systems.