Soul Calibur 6

That remix of Mitsurugi's theme from the original Soul Calibur that played during trailer would be a welcome stage track, that's one of my favorite tracks from the entire series. I can't say I'm too excited for VI though as I didn't really get into V. I really never got to where I liked some of the major system changes they made in V. Some of that might have been because I didn't have anybody to play against and couldn't play online since I didn't get it until after I moved to where I am now with my horrible internet connection. Fighting games usually bore me after too long if I'm just playing against AI; but I still didn't much care for the system. Changing GI to require part of a meter was a really bad move seeing as that's been a core part of the strategy ever since Soul Edge. Tying that into the newly introduced "super" and "EX" style moves really hurt it imo. But oh well, I hope SC VI will end up being better.

That's Sophitia not Cassandra. Apparently, this takes place during the events of the original Soul Calibur. Though we've only seen a bit it seems like they are definitely trying to distance themselves from the bad parts of V, mostly being the weird new characters no one asked for and were almost exclusively just less likable versions of their predecessors. Hopefully, that means they address the other big complaints of V, namely lack of single-player modes and a decent story. Sounds like guard break won't require meter which is great! Pretty hyped myself but I also am a pretty big SC fan. I'm also curious to see who all gets in. Some of the classics seem obvious but I wonder if say Algol or Zasalamel will get in. They came later in the story but were great characters who I'd love to see show up earlier in this alternate history. 

Whoops, got the sisters mixed up. But yeah, I like what I’ve been hearing about this being a soft reboot of sorts. I pretty much boycotted 5 because of the unnecessary successors/replacements and other things I didn’t like about it. With what it lacked too, was a pretty rushed game. Some things like the customization were still good, but it wasn’t enough, for me to really want to get it at least.

Yeah, I could see Algol and some of them. Most of all, excited to see some of my fan favorites like Xianghua and Taki again.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention before that I am curious to see what time period relative to the rest of the series that VI is taking place because Mitsurugi looks a lot younger in that footage than he has for awhile. In fact, he looks almost Soul Edge young; I wonder if it will take place between Soul Edge and Soul Calibur. And I agree about the new characters in SCV, Patroklos and Pyrrha were especially annoying characters and sadly took up most of what passed for a story mode. Hopefully this at least goes back to before Sophitia has kids so we don't have to deal with them again, lol. I'd also like to see Zaslamel make a return as I thought he was a somewhat intriguing character in III and IV and since I never really got into III, it would be interesting if they did some back story on him. I never really cared much for Algol though, maybe it was because he was kinda broken in IV and I never really tried him in V.

I'm so psyched for this. It's been too long since we've had a proper Soul Calibur game. V was great for the character customization, but the fact that they axed half of the original cast (and turned my boy Kilik into Charade from II) practically ruined the game for me. VI looks great, though. It looks like there's an insane amount of polish on it already, though perhaps only for two characters. Looking forward to seeing everyone back! :)

5 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

I'm so psyched for this. It's been too long since we've had a proper Soul Calibur game. V was great for the character customization, but the fact that they axed half of the original cast (and turned my boy Kilik into Charade from II) practically ruined the game for me. VI looks great, though. It looks like there's an insane amount of polish on it already, though perhaps only for two characters. Looking forward to seeing everyone back! :)

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that (probably intentionally). God, I hated them making Kilik a Soul Edge / Edgemaster / Charade / every character, character. I thought it was cool that they brought back Edgemaster cuz I liked using him back in the original Soul Calibur as my random every character person since I learned all of the characters from a range of moderately to very proficiently. So he would have been fine for V and they could have just left out Kilik altogether since they had his bo staff replacement, who I didn't particularly like either. But yeah, either way, I'm looking forward to this new installment whether it's just set in an earlier time in the same story or a reboot / re-imagining.

• 2 weeks later...

I am extremely excited about Soul Calibur 6.

I hope they just reboot the story entirely, or just ditch even trying. The story was never what made Soul Calibur compelling, but it was a major factor in Soul Calibur 5 being bad (e.g. replacing all the "too old" characters with new characters no one wanted). 

Instead of trying to make up a story to justify characters being included (or even changing their move sets, like Tira), they need to just create a solid fighting game that includes all the best characters they have introduced over the years. Omitting someone iconic like Zasalamel because he wasn't present during the story of Soul Calibur 1 would be a major mistake.

2 hours ago, WatcherJoshua said:

I am extremely excited about Soul Calibur 6.

I hope they just reboot the story entirely, or just ditch even trying. The story was never what made Soul Calibur compelling, but it was a major factor in Soul Calibur 5 being bad (e.g. replacing all the "too old" characters with new characters no one wanted). 

Instead of trying to make up a story to justify characters being included (or even changing their move sets, like Tira), they need to just create a solid fighting game that includes all the best characters they have introduced over the years. Omitting someone iconic like Zasalamel because he wasn't present during the story of Soul Calibur 1 would be a major mistake.

Agreed Zasalamel is one of my favorite characters in the series, him not showing up in V was a crime. They've already stated that some characters from later entries could appear. it's a "reboot" but the time between II and IV is little enough that it doesn't really prevent some characters from showing up earlier based on how the story changed. I feel like most characters actually in the original Soul Calibur (Sequel to Soul Edge) are probably safe. HoweverFor my part, I want to see Zasalamel, Cassandra, Tira, Seung Mina, Aeon (Lizardman), Hilde and Algol also make an appearance. Especially Algol as he was my main in V and honestly one of my favorite gaming characters.  Most of those characters would require some retcon to show up, but that's the point of an "alternate history." Dampierre was also hilarious and would be a fine addition and as far as SC III "soul of" characters I'd actually love to see Valeria show up as an official bearer of the Grieve Edge style. Of the "custom character" styles that was by far the one that most deserving of an official treatment. 

I also hope we get a Switch version. I know it hasn't been announced yet but if it does come along Link returning would be great as a guest character. Alternatively, a Fire Emblem character would fit into the Soul Calibur aesthetic really well, imagine Chrom, Lucina or even Corrin in Soul Calibur. 

I'm hoping they do something similar to Killer Instinct; reboot the story, but have the roster consist of characters from across most of the games.  (In KI's case, Killer Instinct 2013 would eventually come to have all of the characters from KI1 and 2 plus new characters.)

I'd like Soulcalibur VI to at least have the vast majority of characters from Soul Blade -> Soulcalibur II (because I'm biased; I played Soulcalibur II), and pick the top characters from Soulcalibur III and IV, and V if there characters from there people like.

I couldn't really care less if they have any guest characters, aside from Link, which the game isn't confirmed for Switch yet anyway.

Far as guests go, Link returning would be kinda redundant, so I can get behind an FE character far as Nintendo goes.

Far as PlayStation, I’d like 2B from Nier Automata, but that’s probably a long shot... For Xbox, Arbiter with energy sword or something would be obvious, though would prefer any Killer Instinct character that’s renowned for using a weapon as an alternative.

If Star Wars ever came back to see SC, could see like Rey or Kylo Ren, but probably nothing would top Vader for me as far as that.

Assassin Creed’s Ezio was generic and didn’t stick out that much in SC5 IMO, but am happy to anticipate 6 more regardless of what guests it happens to have.

4 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Far as guests go, Link returning would be kinda redundant, so I can get behind an FE character far as Nintendo goes.

Far as PlayStation, I’d like 2B from Nier Automata, but that’s probably a long shot... For Xbox, Arbiter with energy sword or something would be obvious, though would prefer any Killer Instinct character that’s renowned for using a weapon as an alternative.

If Star Wars ever came back to see SC, could see like Rey or Kylo Ren, but probably nothing would top Vader for me as far as that.

Assassin Creed’s Ezio was generic and didn’t stick out that much in SC5 IMO, but am happy to anticipate 6 more regardless of what guests it happens to have.

I would imagine the Link in Soulcalibur VI would be Breath of the Wild Link instead of Ocarina of Time Link, so in that sense it would be different.

I agree 2B would be cool, but probably a long shot.

Star Wars being in Soulcalibur never appealed to me really, so Kylo and Rey aren't doing much for me.

Ezio was probably one of the characters that made the most sense to be in Soulcalibur, along with Kratos from the portable game.  They just seemed like they fit naturally.  I guess other characters are Spawn and Heihachi...I don't expect to see Spawn, and Heihachi is a maybe I guess since Namco can just throw him in there, or any Tekken character as an alternative.

Arbiter is an option, but his thunder might be stolen a bit since (an) Arbiter appeared in Killer Instinct.  Apparently, not the Halo 2-5 Arbiter.  Just an Arbiter.  It's kinda weird because he shares the design with the Arbiter has he appears in Halo 5, but has a different voice actor, which is a shame.  So they decided to make him a "different character".  I guess maybe also since Killer Instinct takes place in alternate-universe modern times and not the future like Halo does.

So uhhh...I don't know.  I can't really think of any Xbox-themed character I'd want to see in Soulcalibur.  PS has a few more options, but none really call out to me.  I don't really want Norse Kratos in.  Maybe, like, Wander from Shadow of the Colossus.  Or Bloodborne guy.  I would say maybe a Final Fantasy character but they already have Noctis in Tekken so I don't really see it happening on Soulcalibur also.

I actually really liked Ezio if only because he fit into the theme of SC fairly easily. I hated the Star Wars characters even though I love Star Wars just because they had no business in the fiction of Soul Calibur. For Nintendo The Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem excel, seeing any Fire Emblem Lord or Link in Soul Calibur doesn't feel out of place at all. Another popular option I've seen people mention is Geralt from the Witcher, which I actually think would be a fantastic choice. 

I would really like to see them ditch the guest character idea, at least for launch. They have a strong collection of original characters that can stand on their own.

Killer Instinct brought in the guest characters later on, and they work well. I really enjoy playing Rash (though I'm not very good at Killer Instinct in general).