Soul Calibur 6

Man, what a blast the beta was. I'm just bummed I didn't get to play as Seung Mina. But there's really not that much time left to wait. The online is looking good, for the most part. As long as it doesn't take half an hour to get into a match in the full game. I'm really looking forward to spending some time with the character creator. 

I am a little worried about Hilde. There are still two weeks left, which is time enough for a reveal trailer or two. To my knowledge there are three fighters yet to be announced for the much-reviled season pass, which makes me think she and Rock and two other characters are locked behind DLC. Ugh. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Well, time to start playing some till I have work later.

Also, this came with my copy.~

FD52951B-E7AC-4FA8-BE56-8FCDEBBC6F09.jpeg

Nice get! I think I heard about those. There are some retailer-exclusive preorder bonuses going around. Best Buy has a Talim figure, and there may or may not be something for Amazon. 

Gonna pick up my copy tomorrow after work, and hopefully  I'll have time to play a bit this weekend. I'm curious to know your thoughts when you get the chance, Ridley! :)

I ordered the collectors edition on Amazon so I'm just sitting here waiting for it to deliver rolleyes;. Should be in today sometime though so hopefully I'll get to play it a bunch tonight. The reviews so far seem to be anywhere between good and great which is encouraging! I even enjoyed the ones that got less than stellar reviews but having a good load of single player content and classic favorites back is exciting. I am sad to see how many faces are still missing though. Cassandra, Amy, Hwuang or Yun-Seong, Setsuka, Hilde, Lizardman and on a personal note Algol. I wasn't exactly expecting him back but I'd be super excited to see him as DLC. 

Well bois Soul Calibur is back! I've spent some time with it over the past two days and I'm having a blast. I'm really appreciating some of the little changes to the battle system. Blocking is easier and movement is faster. Reversal Edge is a mechanic that I fundamentally understand but still struggle to see the tactical advantages for as opposed to simply blocking.

I never spent much time with V on account of all of my favorite characters being missing or changed beyond recognition, so I'm finding the character customization a pretty dramatic step up from IV. I just spent the better part of two hours building my first character for Libra of Soul, and I'm really happy with how she turned out. Though it seems like a pretty significant oversight that you can't import a Libra of Soul character for use outside of that mode, or vice versa. So really I had to make my character twice. 

On 10/18/2018 at 11:20 PM, Laclipsey said:

Nice get! I think I heard about those. There are some retailer-exclusive preorder bonuses going around. Best Buy has a Talim figure, and there may or may not be something for Amazon.

A Talim figure huh? Interesting. Wish I had gotten something Taki related as a bonus, tho am fine with what I got.

On 10/19/2018 at 2:04 PM, Igneous42 said:

I ordered the collectors edition on Amazon so I'm just sitting here waiting for it to deliver rolleyes;. Should be in today sometime though so hopefully I'll get to play it a bunch tonight. The reviews so far seem to be anywhere between good and great which is encouraging! I even enjoyed the ones that got less than stellar reviews but having a good load of single player content and classic favorites back is exciting. I am sad to see how many faces are still missing though. Cassandra, Amy, Hwuang or Yun-Seong, Setsuka, Hilde, Lizardman and on a personal note Algol. I wasn't exactly expecting him back but I'd be super excited to see him as DLC. 

Most of those mentioned characters make cameos in the story, whether the Soul Chronicles part or at least briefly shown or mentioned in Libra of Souls.

So, I think there's a good chance most if not all of them will be in later/are part of the season pass.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:02 PM, Laclipsey said:

Well bois Soul Calibur is back! I've spent some time with it over the past two days and I'm having a blast. I'm really appreciating some of the little changes to the battle system. Blocking is easier and movement is faster. Reversal Edge is a mechanic that I fundamentally understand but still struggle to see the tactical advantages for as opposed to simply blocking.

I never spent much time with V on account of all of my favorite characters being missing or changed beyond recognition, so I'm finding the character customization a pretty dramatic step up from IV. I just spent the better part of two hours building my first character for Libra of Soul, and I'm really happy with how she turned out. Though it seems like a pretty significant oversight that you can't import a Libra of Soul character for use outside of that mode, or vice versa. So really I had to make my character twice. 

Now that I've had about a week in between work days, and a good bit more time to play it now that I've had this weekend off, pretty much agree... Once you start though after having to make your character twice or more, Libra of Souls is a really fulfilling and sustaining OC story mode, though apparently you need to have at least two files for remaining trophies and stuff, partly because of obligatory "good playthough" and "evil playthrough" based on whether you linger more towards Soul Edge or Calibur. Just finished somewhere around the epilogue in both my Libra files, and my evil character turned out to be significantly higher leveled in the end since I came across more astral fissures in my 2nd runthrough for some reason.

But yeah, I like how whether you're good or evil determines the circumstances in how you encounter some of the original cast, or if you do at all in the case of some, but most of them are usually interesting either way. The Soul Chronicles portion of the story was also enjoyable, although grindy, but I did like how everyone had a chapter to play through after the first main story part.

Not sure whether to post any of my of characters here yet...

IMO Ivy beats her pretty handily. I'm gonna be salty for a sec here so feel free to ignore me, but I'm actually pretty damn disappointed with her as DLC. Unlike Geralt, she doesn't fit the aesthetic at all. But even more so, I would have preferred pretty much any series veteran over her. Even if we had to get a guest character though I think there are better more fitting picks. A little mad at myself for buying the season pass because of it tbh. 

/rant end

On a more optimistic note, I have been enjoying and playing the hell out of it. The formula is a nice mix of old and new. Soul Calibur V didn't have the best reception for several legit reasons, but I still stand by the fact that I think it's gameplay was incredibly solid. A lot of people may not even realize that there does seem to be a decent amount that SC VI still pulled from V. To me it really feels like the moves and aesthetics of the old game with a lot of the better parts of SC Vs gameplay. The single-player modes have actually been pretty fun. I like that there is a mode for custom and classic characters and that they even intersect sometimes. The RPG elements found a good place in Libra of Souls and work well without feeling too over important. 

I do have a few gripes though. I'm not a huge fan of Critical Edges so far. They were cool the first few times but the more I've played online the more I've started to dislike them. Mostly because they just seem to easy to land. I like SCV's version where you had to go for certain setups to reliably land. SC VI's super moves come out so damn fast they typically seem to work even better as string/combo breakers. For how much damage they do it's a little ridiculous that a character can be mid animation for an attack but the Critical Edge still lands first. For the record, this has helped me MANY times, probably even more than it's hurt me. Seigfried is who I've been playing a lot and he really benefits from the speed and priority that Critical Edges have. If someone is too up if you face they can prevent it but I've ended many otherwise close online matches by just throwing out a Critical Edge when I'm being pressured. 

My other big gripe, which was a big talking point on the Subreddit as well, is that CAS can be used in Rank. I love CAS and have already made 8ish characters. However, I still have to agree there needs to be a separation for modes that allow CAS and those that don't. Even if it was just something as simple as "Competitive Ranked" and "Free Ranked" where one allows  CAS and character customizations while the other is more strict and just the standard cast with recolors at most. 

Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased. It's great to actually have a lot of classic characters back and decent single player content. The gameplay is fast and fun and even though I let myself get too salty I still love playing Soul Calibur online again. Smash and Soul Calibur have always been my favorite fighters. Dunno what system people are playing on but I'm Igneous42 on PSN anyone else is playing on PS4. I also would be down to see and show off CAS characters. 

I guess to avoid an argument here, I'll just say I respectfully disagree with your opinion on 2B in the game and leave it at that. You really can't please everyone, but I doubt her inclusion will be at the expense of one of the veterans, most if not all of whom I think are still gonna be included eventually, as mentioned before. Another guest seemed kinda inevitable too, since in fighting games, they make the most $$$ out of DLC characters put out. That aside though, curious as to how 2B will be integrated into both the Soul Chronicles and Libra of Souls parts of the story, especially if there's a cutscene of her fighting one of the known characters like there was with Geralt and Mitsurugi (sorry if that's considered a spoiler but didn't seem that major).

Critical Edges haven't really bothered me to the point of Reversal Edges, but definitely see where you're coming from. Even if most are easily blockable, can still be annoying. That said, I seem to prefer using my gauge for Soul Charges now instead of Critical Edges, with some exceptions.

And yeah, you're definitely not alone on the custom character in ranked matches gripe.

Oh, my PSN is just Ridley_Prime. Not sure how much I'll really play SC6 online in the long run, but the game's been a fulfilling worthwhile experience, regardless. Maybe I'll feel better again about my created characters after some more tweaking and then post them here too, but right now I'm not sure at the moment.

Do you remember when we were talking about the possibility of 2B's inclusion as the obligatory guest character? I'd given up hope. I was actually fine with Geralt despite not being a Witcher fan because he worked really well for Soul Calibur's universe, and I didn't expect any more guest characters after him. But this is a really nice surprise. Nier Automata is one of my favorite games, and I couldn't be happier. Well. Maybe if they put in A2, but 2B is the face of Nier. While the resulting splash of sci-fi is a little jarring, at least we don't have to contend with the implausibility of lightsabers being blocked by physical weapons. 

Also, check out all of the awesome Nier-related stuff that comes with her. I think this makes 2B the only character so far who has an alternate costume that isn't a palette swap. Really looking forward to the stage and music, as well. 

Spoiler

Image result for 2b soul calibur 6

Indeed.

On a side note, going through arcade mode as Inferno after you unlock him, even on the initial highest difficulty... Overpowered incarnate. Just spam forward triangle followed by up triangle, and the AI will feel your unrelenting barrage of cheapness. To think some were lamenting at first that Inferno couldn't be used online, whose basically Nightmare without any of the speed impediments along with some additional attacks. Oof.

Speaking of cheap bosses, I hated the boss form of Azwel in Libra of Souls, who took me hours to beat the first time. Far from the worst the series has had or anything, but still pretty cheap, though I guess becomes as easy as most other fights once you get a better weapon to upgrade along with a food consumable to compensate like permanent soul charge.

1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

Indeed.

On a side note, going through arcade mode as Inferno after you unlock him, even on the initial highest difficulty... Overpowered incarnate. Just spam forward triangle followed by up triangle, and the AI will feel your unrelenting barrage of cheapness. To think some were lamenting at first that Inferno couldn't be used online, whose basically Nightmare without any of the speed impediments along with some additional attacks. Oof.

Speaking of cheap bosses, I hated the boss form of Azwel in Libra of Souls, who took me hours to beat the first time. Far from the worst the series has had or anything, but still pretty cheap, though I guess becomes as easy as most other fights once you get a better weapon to upgrade along with a food consumable to compensate like permanent soul charge.

I haven't gotten that far, yet. I will say I find Azwel infuriating to fight in his vanilla form. He has a lot of easy-hitting auto-combos that are impossible to sidestep and a lot of high-low mixups that make blocking difficult. Knowing that the story mode beefs him up just reeks of old-school Soul Calibur cheap difficulty. Chronicles of the Sword, anyone? :P

• 1 month later...

So 2B is finally out for the game now, and really digging her quick combo-y playstyle. Like all her clothing options you can put on custom characters as well, although the "revealing women's clothing" for undergarment pretty much completely shows the ass which I'm surprised got by, but hey. A little disappointing that she has no story in Soul Chronicles though, especially when disc-locked Tira had one. With what they showed in the trailer with Ivy living as long to the point robots rule the world was an interesting concept and they went nowhere with that for a story chapter? Oh well.

3 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

So 2B is finally out for the game now, and really digging her quick combo-y playstyle. Like all her clothing options you can put on custom characters as well, although the "revealing women's clothing" for undergarment pretty much completely shows the ass which I'm surprised got by, but hey. A little disappointing that she has no story in Soul Chronicles though, especially when disc-locked Tira had one. With what they showed in the trailer with Ivy living as long to the point robots rule the world was an interesting concept and they went nowhere with that for a story chapter? Oh well.

Oh, snap, that dropped today! Man, guess that means I have to go buy the DLC after I'm all done with teaching practicum on Friday. I'm having a bit of a horrible time right now in life, so I haven't had a lot of brain space to dedicate to paying attention to these things. I'm really glad to hear she's fun to play. Looking forward to trying her out this weekend. 2B will be pretty hard to top as a Soul Calibur inclusion, with Automata being one of my favorite games. I doubt I'll be as hyped about the other characters going forward, but we'll see. 

Well. It's not as if Ivy and others haven't already blazed the trail for butt-baring costumes in this series. Given that this is Soul Calibur, I'm not that surprised.  Does she include any other CAS parts besides the Kaine outfit?

I'm not super fussed about the lack of a story for 2B, but it would have been a nice addition. I remember being somewhat mystified by the importance given to Ivy in 2B's introduction. Beyond the superficial detail of them both having white hair Ivy really has nothing in common with 2B. Granted, not that 2B would have exactly meshed with anyone in particular, but I thought it was kind of strange they played up Ivy's presence so much.

Hey, Ridley, are you playing on PS4? We should totally play together sometime. :)

7 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

Oh, snap, that dropped today! Man, guess that means I have to go buy the DLC after I'm all done with teaching practicum on Friday. I'm having a bit of a horrible time right now in life, so I haven't had a lot of brain space to dedicate to paying attention to these things. I'm really glad to hear she's fun to play. Looking forward to trying her out this weekend. 2B will be pretty hard to top as a Soul Calibur inclusion, with Automata being one of my favorite games. I doubt I'll be as hyped about the other characters going forward, but we'll see. 

Well. It's not as if Ivy and others haven't already blazed the trail for butt-baring costumes in this series. Given that this is Soul Calibur, I'm not that surprised.  Does she include any other CAS parts besides the Kaine outfit?

I'm not super fussed about the lack of a story for 2B, but it would have been a nice addition. I remember being somewhat mystified by the importance given to Ivy in 2B's introduction. Beyond the superficial detail of them both having white hair Ivy really has nothing in common with 2B. Granted, not that 2B would have exactly meshed with anyone in particular, but I thought it was kind of strange they played up Ivy's presence so much.

Hey, Ridley, are you playing on PS4? We should totally play together sometime. :)

Work schedule's been rougher on me too with the holidays, so I feel ya, and was honestly lucky to get my first day off in awhile that happened to be the day she came out in SC6, as well as the day I finally got to try out Smash Ultimate online earlier, which has been alright so far I suppose. And yeah, have the same feeling as far as the next characters for the fighter pass (that I won't be as hyped), but will have to see.

Ivy's tame compared to the revealing undergarment I mentioned, but fair enough, it is par the course I guess given SC's type of fanservice. And yeah, there's also 2B's blindfold you can put on your custom character's face, as well as her main outfit and the one where she's skirtless. Some other small things too but that's kinda the gist of it.

Yeah, it was odd, but it worked I guess as far as simply promoting her.

Yep, PS4 is what I play it on. Added ya on PSN just now I believe since your ID's listed in your profile too.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

Interesting. I’ll try it out some again then on Tuesday. And yeah, she’s no surprise. Kinda still want Algol next, though not getting my hopes up. Had been sleeping on this game thanks to Smash and other things, so am glad this content will give me an excuse to hop back on SC6. 

Given that Amy was allegedly leaked by dataminers, this lends some credibility to the theory that Cassandra is the next character. Algol would be neat, but if 6 is supposed to be a retelling of 1 and 2, I don't see how they'll work him in. I can see them doing it in 7, if it happens, though. 

There are rumors supposedly hintimg at a potential "season 2" maybe even from the datamines? 

If that does come to pass Algol actually may not be all that unlikely. Libra of Soul certainly seemed to hype him up, so it's not like they're trying to retcon him or anything. 

Edited by Igneous42