DLC Pack 2 Champions Ballad goes live tonight and...

1 hour ago, Gold said:

As I've beaten it, I can tell you that the DLC includes:

Hide contents

9 new pieces of armor to find
2 new pieces of horse armor that have amazing abilities
The Tuning Fork weapon (limited, like the bow of light)
4 new compendium entries (1 weapon, 3 monsters)
16 shrines (but only 1 more heart/stamina upgrade)
4 boss rematches (leading to four power upgrades)
5 new memories
1 key item which can be placed in your home

4 new journals, one from each champion (located in their town)
1 Divine Beast style dungeon with a unique boss
Rune for Master Cycle Zero

Things to keep in mind. All armor (base, amiibo, expansion pass bonus, DLC1, DLC2) is 7 pieces of armor too many. The guy in Tarry Town now sells DLC armor, so you can sell it off to make space for more, without worrying about never getting it back. For example, I sold the old clothes, Switch shirt, Korok Mask, and Tingle outfit to make room for the new stuff, and they can all be bought back whenever.

Cool, that almost sounds like it is worth my money for the new areas to play.  At least, a lot more so than Pack 1.

8 hours ago, Gold said:

As I've beaten it, I can tell you that the DLC includes:

Reveal hidden contents

9 new pieces of armor to find
2 new pieces of horse armor that have amazing abilities
The Tuning Fork weapon (limited, like the bow of light)
4 new compendium entries (1 weapon, 3 monsters)
16 shrines (but only 1 more heart/stamina upgrade)
4 boss rematches (leading to four power upgrades)
5 new memories
1 key item which can be placed in your home

4 new journals, one from each champion (located in their town)
1 Divine Beast style dungeon with a unique boss
Rune for Master Cycle Zero

Things to keep in mind. All armor (base, amiibo, expansion pass bonus, DLC1, DLC2) is 7 pieces of armor too many. The guy in Tarry Town now sells DLC armor, so you can sell it off to make space for more, without worrying about never getting it back. For example, I sold the old clothes, Switch shirt, Korok Mask, and Tingle outfit to make room for the new stuff, and they can all be bought back whenever.

Took a quick look at the "dungeon" in a video from GX .... man..... that was a cool intro to where it is and looks very interesting and complex to play.

I didn't care enough to bother with Tarry Town's creation even though I set in motion its creation.

What are the armors?

I mean, the Amiibos for the Champions gave you their divine best sets so that would be 4 of the 9 right?

Well, now they put up some details

http://www.zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/the-champions-ballad-new-trailer

Edited by purple_beard
9 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I mean, the Amiibos for the Champions gave you their divine best sets so that would be 4 of the 9 right?

No. The amiibo were launched before the DLC and their armors are not part of it.

Royal Guard Cap
Royal Guard Uniform
Royal Guard Boots
Phantom Ganon Skull
Phantom Gannon Armor
Phantom Gannon Greaves
Ravio's Hood
Zant's Helmet
Island Lobster Shirt (Windwaker Shirt)

8 hours ago, Cryptic said:

Working through the DLC 2 now.  I completed 1/4 of the Champion Ballad quests.

I notice there are entries in the compendium for EX enemies and one weapon (assuming the One Hit Obliterator).  Are these missable, or can they be bought from the lab assistant eventually?

They are missable (you have to fight all of them to beat the dlc though), but two respawn after blood moons and the other can be fought at any time supposedly. The weapon can be pictured after you beat the DLC if you didn't get it at the beginning.

The lab assistant does sell the pictures, but only if you haven't completed your compendium before the dlc. Once his shop closes, it closes for good. If you still had missing entries before the dlc, his shop will be open and selling those and the new ones from the dlc.

Edited by Gold

*finds the chest with the Royal Guard Helmet* *opens*
"Your inventory is full."

The fuck?  This is a thing?  Why?

I have no duplicate armor.  I have all of the armor from the main game, DLC (minus Royal Guard Cap), the Xenoblade armor, and most of the amiibo armor (don't have OoT Link armor and Champion helmets)

Add another page to the armor inventory, damn it.

EDIT: Turns out I'm actually OK for now.  I had a duplicate diamond circlet somehow, so I sold it.  But, if I had all of the amiibo, I wouldn't be able to get all of the armor, so that's a problem.

Edited by Cryptic
22 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

*finds the chest with the Royal Guard Helmet* *opens*
"Your inventory is full."

The fuck?  This is a thing?  Why?

I have no duplicate armor.  I have all of the armor from the main game, DLC (minus Royal Guard Cap), the Xenoblade armor, and most of the amiibo armor (don't have OoT Link armor and Champion helmets)

Add another page to the armor inventory, damn it.

EDIT: Turns out I'm actually OK for now.  I had a duplicate diamond circlet somehow, so I sold it.  But, if I had all of the amiibo, I wouldn't be able to get all of the armor, so that's a problem.

As I've said in this thread, one of every armor is 7 too many. The temp fix is to sell the old clothes, warm doublet, dlc armor, or anything that cannot be upgraded, as the man in Tarry Town will sell them back to you.

1 minute ago, Gold said:

As I've said in this thread, one of every armor is 7 too many. The temp fix is to sell the old clothes, warm doublet, dlc armor, or anything that cannot be upgraded, as the man in Tarry Town will sell them back to you.

I didn't even read enough of the thread to see you posted that, lol.

But yeah, fortunately (unfortunately?) I do not actually have the OoT Link or (yet) the Champions amiibo.  So right now, having sold the spare diamond circlet, I'm totally fine.

Does the man in Tarry Town charge a lot?

1 hour ago, Cryptic said:

I didn't even read enough of the thread to see you posted that, lol.

But yeah, fortunately (unfortunately?) I do not actually have the OoT Link or (yet) the Champions amiibo.  So right now, having sold the spare diamond circlet, I'm totally fine.

Does the man in Tarry Town charge a lot?

50 rupees per I believe

Does anyone actually like the gyro puzzles within shrines? I'm surprised that more are included within the new DLC shrines. I think each set of champions' trials has had at least one. Thankfully, the game doesn't require me to be perfect in how my placement turns out, but the mechanic just seems all over the place to get the positioning good enough. It would look pretty silly to play through this in public. My system was every which direction trying to do the one involving the cannons for Daruk. It was infuriating, but I'm glad I'm passed that and on to Mipha's trials.

9 minutes ago, IU said:

Does anyone actually like the gyro puzzles within shrines? I'm surprised that more are included within the new DLC shrines. I think each set of champions' trials has had at least one. Thankfully, the game doesn't require me to be perfect in how my placement turns out, but the mechanic just seems all over the place to get the positioning good enough. It would look pretty silly to play through this in public. My system was every which direction trying to do the one involving the cannons for Daruk. It was infuriating, but I'm glad I'm passed that and on to Mipha's trials.

I thought I wouldn't like them, but once I tried one out via the Gamepad, it reminded me of the wooden mazes that I remember from when I was a kid. And it ended up not being not as much of a pain as I thought it would be.

Edited by Doc Brown

The final boss for the Champions' Ballad was a lot more memorable of an encounter than Ganon. I felt like I was in an episode of Naruto facing a Hokage with all the techniques that were on display. My initial impressions on the Master Cycle Zero were all right, but it's more of a novelty to me than being really useful. I think it would have been better if it had better handling. I might have expected a little much in hoping that it would handle like his bike in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The Champions' Ballad was still a good 6-7 hour experience for me, not sure when I'll bother with the other armor side quests, and now I'm ready to move on to Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Besides the final monk battle, the best moment in this DLC for me was young Sidon. I'm glad they put in that gleaming smile for his interaction with Mipha.

5 hours ago, Jirachi said:

I actually liked the expanded background story. Bittersweet, but still good. I haven't even finished the master sword trial from dlc 1.  And Purah sounded nice. Hopefully DLC 3 and more will happen. Though i doubt it will go beyond 4.

I did too, but it made me hate Revali even more...

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I brought this up in the "What are you listening to?" thread, but I figured more discussion might happen here and I feel inclined to go more in-depth about my thoughts here, as opposed to a thread where most people just post a YouTube link and move on.

Holy shit, that Final Trial music gave me the chills.  Particularly, the variations at 4:08 and 8:51.

I can't say I've been much of a fan of the soundtrack of this game.  The only tunes I really found memorable were the Hyrule Castle and Cave themes, with the rest of the soundtrack being fitting-for-background-but-not-really-special or basically non-existent.  I recall being really disappointed when the E3(?) video came out where they talked about how the developers wanted the players to hear the sounds of nature, so they were doing without an overworld theme.  I mean, I get it and it worked, but I've always loved Zelda's music—I can trace the beginnings of my music training to Ocarina of Time's soundtrack—and Zelda's overworld themes are always among my favorites.  In terms of what is there, the cave theme is beautiful; I liked Hyrule Castle's music enough to do a cover of it for my YouTube channel (check out my music thread, link in my signature); and I can recall the Zora's Domain, Rito Village, and stable themes because they were remixes of songs from past games; but otherwise, I can't say any other themes stuck out to me.

But this track really moved me during that final trial.  I had to think about some of the puzzles and really look at some of the environments a bit to figure things out, but the feeling of being stuck didn't bother me because this music was so good.  This is probably the first BotW track that I actively sought out to listen to after I heard it in-game.  I'm tempted to cover it for my next video, but I also don't want to do two tracks from the same game in a row.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this track?