Capcom announces Mega Man 11 - Coming to Switch 2018

4 hours ago, Marxforever said:

Super excited about this. I was watching the stream live, and went in there with rock bottom expectations. Words can not describe how awesome it felt to see a new Mega Man. Not an 8 Bit throw back, but an honest to god expansion of the classic formula that built upon what came before while keeping what worked. It was 1997 the last time that happened with Mega Man 8. 9 and 10 were huge steps back, they removed the slide for crying out loud, the slide.... :|

Sure the visuals could use some polish, but it's still a year off.

Here's hoping this is only the start of Capcom reviving the franchise, maybe we'll see a continuation to the other series, and perhaps a few new ones.

X8 is really not that bad. It's decent, and after X7 it was a damn Godsend. Frankly, if you twisted my arm, I'd probably say I like 8 over 5.

I remember hoping the visual style of Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite would be updated for the final release, and to my knowledge that never really happened, so I just have to think this is how it's going to look. I don't seem to take as much of an issue with the visual style as some of you, though I can see the voice acting being pretty cringey... 

As for where the series goes from here: Legends 3, X9, and ZX3 all promise to address major cliffhangers. Though it wouldn't take any convincing for me to get behind a Battle Network revival. There's no shortage of ideas, though I will vehemently oppose Zero 5 because 4 ended so brilliantly. But let's be honest, there's no other way for MegaMan to come back than in the form of Classic. It's reasonable to assume that this is probably Capcom testing the waters to see how much people actually want MegaMan back before they overcommit with annual sequels like back in the day. 

X8 definitely has its moments, but for me it doesn't hold a candle to the first five games. It tackles a few different gameplay styles without totally stumbling like X7, and they actually made Axl fun to play. For me, though, the best part of X8 is Mark Gatha and Lucas Gilbertson voicing X and Zero. :) 

Anybody else like Command Mission, or am I the only one? :P

Edited by Laclipsey
10 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

I remember hoping the visual style of Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite would be updated for the final release, and to my knowledge that never really happened, so I just have to think this is how it's going to look. I don't seem to take as much of an issue with the visual style as some of you, though I can see the voice acting being pretty cringey...

Well, I'm not expecting a full overhaul or anything, and it's certainly not unsightly like Infinite is in places. Just some polish, which is all I feel it really needs. Make the Background a bit more subdued and the foreground elements a bit more vibrant, touch up the animations. Small stuff like that.

As for where the series goes from here: Legends 3, X9, and ZX3 all promise to address major cliffhangers. Though it wouldn't take any convincing for me to get behind a Battle Network revival. There's no shortage of ideas, though I will vehemently oppose Zero 5 because 4 ended so brilliantly. But let's be honest, there's no other way for MegaMan to come back than in the form of Classic. It's reasonable to assume that this is probably Capcom testing the waters to see how much people actually want MegaMan back before they overcommit with annual sequels like back in the day.

My only problem with continuing X and ZX, though I love both of those series, is that there timelines diverge at X5 since Mega Man Zero and X6 both tell two different accounts of what happens to Zero. Which has already caused some bizarre creative decisions in the franchise, like Model A not being Axl, despite the fact that he totally is Axl, but he can't be Axl because Axl doesn't exist in that timeline.... If they were to continue X, I'd like them to take it back to X5 and follow the "main" timeline. But that would mean no more Zero in the X series. Which a lot of fans probably wouldn't be happy with.

X8 definitely has its moments, but for me it doesn't hold a candle to the first five games. It tackles a few different gameplay styles without totally stumbling like X7, and they actually made Axl fun to play. For me, though, the best part of X8 is Mark Gatha and Lucas Gilbertson voicing X and Zero. :)

The thing is I'm really not a fan of X5 at all. I think it was the start of the nose dive in quality that bottomed out on X7. It's just bloated with needless collectibles, and superfluous game-play mechanics that ultimately added nothing but the illusion of complexity, like zip lines, which the game clearly wasn't made around. And ducking, which undermined the skill required to time dashes to avoid low attacks in the first 4 entries. The RNG aspect of story's progression is pretty inexcusable. As is the Mavericks "leveling up" and that, if you want to 100% the game, forcing you to kill yourself several times just to run up the in game count down so you can FINALLY start playing the damn thing. And don't even get me started on Alia not shutting her damn trap, and grinding the game's pace to a halt every five seconds. Not as bad as X6, but yeah, not a fan. That's why X8 was so refreshing, it was by no means great, but it was at least signs of improvement in a series that, for the last three installments, had been seriously disappointing me. And they finally started doing away with things that didn't work and got back to what did while expanding upon it. They also did as fantastic job making Axl and X feel very distinct from one another while still being very enjoyable in their own rights. It's kind of funny that Axl is effectively Bass as far as game-play is concerned, but it works, and it works well. 

Anybody else like Command Mission, or am I the only one? :P

I'm a huge fan of the X series, I'm a huge fan of RPGs and I've wanted an MMX:RPG since I was a kid, god knows I've drawn a ton of concepts for one when I was younger. Command Mission did not even come close to my expectations. That's a top ten disappointing game for me. And I don't get my hopes up often. There's so much potential in that concept, especially with the varied weapon system and the nonlinear progression the series is known for. But nah, let's just leave those staples out entirely for some flashy, pointless, control gimmicks, and a railroaded sequence of story beats.

My history of the Megaman Series

I have Megaman Anniversary Collection for the Gamecube. Though for some reason I could never complete the final stage of the game. It was just too hard for me. I kind of blame the Gamecube controller though. It felt very awkward to me for some reason. I'll see if I'm any better on a different controller. 

I've beaten up to X4 on the X Collection for PS2. Was on X5 and completed a decent chunk out of it but just the different endings and having the space ship's missiles hit or miss made me kinda put the game down. Idk, just wasn't a fan or a fan of choose your own paths that affect the story. I'll probably pick it up and beat it and try to get the cannon ending. I forgot honestly how to get that one I'll look it up. Then I'll do my best to get to X6. I don't have X7 so I may get that on the Switch if I can't find it on PS2 though I'm not in a rush according to what I hear. I already have X8 but never played past the first level.

I've played the first Zero game and got pretty far but remember getting stuck somewhere and then I stopped playing. I have Zero Collection or the DS so I'll go back and get to those someday. 

So yeah out of the main 19 coming to Switch, I've only beaten 4 of them. Hopefully by next year when the game is out I will have completed them.

7 hours ago, Marxforever said:

My only problem with continuing X and ZX, though I love both of those series, is that there timelines diverge at X5 since Mega Man Zero and X6 both tell two different accounts of what happens to Zero. Which has already caused some bizarre creative decisions in the franchise, like Model A not being Axl, despite the fact that he totally is Axl, but he can't be Axl because Axl doesn't exist in that timeline.... If they were to continue X, I'd like them to take it back to X5 and follow the "main" timeline. But that would mean no more Zero in the X series. Which a lot of fans probably wouldn't be happy with.

Hm. I care abut the Zero series a great deal more than X6 and beyond, and it's clear from Zero 4 that it follows the bad ending of X5. But given the flippancy with which Capcom kills and resurrects Zero, I always kinda thought everything that happened after X5 could be explained by Zero 3, and that the Zero we know from that point onward is actually Omega. If all else fails, they could always make an interquel. Come to think of it, I've always wanted a game about the Elf Wars. Seems like there was too much potential there not to explore it a bit. 

7 hours ago, Marxforever said:

The thing is I'm really not a fan of X5 at all. I think it was the start of the nose dive in quality that bottomed out on X7. It's just bloated with needless collectibles, and superfluous game-play mechanics that ultimately added nothing but the illusion of complexity, like zip lines, which the game clearly wasn't made around. And ducking, which undermined the skill required to time dashes to avoid low attacks in the first 4 entries. The RNG aspect of story's progression is pretty inexcusable. As is the Mavericks "leveling up" and that, if you want to 100% the game, forcing you to kill yourself several times just to run up the in game count down so you can FINALLY start playing the damn thing. And don't even get me started on Alia not shutting her damn trap, and grinding the game's pace to a halt every five seconds. Not as bad as X6, but yeah, not a fan. That's why X8 was so refreshing, it was by no means great, but it was at least signs of improvement in a series that, for the last three installments, had been seriously disappointing me. And they finally started doing away with things that didn't work and got back to what did while expanding upon it. They also did as fantastic job making Axl and X feel very distinct from one another while still being very enjoyable in their own rights. It's kind of funny that Axl is effectively Bass as far as game-play is concerned, but it works, and it works well. 

Don't get me wrong, I like X8. I certainly have my problems with X5. The zip lines, the ducking, Alia, the pitfall at the beginning of Duff McWhalen's stage that starts you off dead. All of those are legitimate complaints that a polished masterpiece like X1 would never have fallen prey to. But I do like the multiple armor system, and having the entire game be on a clock like it is is pretty interesting to me. I'll be honest, I haven't played it through to the end yet, but overall, there's just more that I remember about X5 than X8. 

5 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

My history of the Megaman Series

I have Megaman Anniversary Collection for the Gamecube. Though for some reason I could never complete the final stage of the game. It was just too hard for me. I kind of blame the Gamecube controller though. It felt very awkward to me for some reason. I'll see if I'm any better on a different controller. 

Yeah many people were mad at Capcom for not allowing button input changes as many people really didn't like the control layout that Capcom implemented for the Anniversary Collection. For me the Mega Man games I have only played are MM2 and MMX4.

7 hours ago, Juanblue85 said:

Yeah many people were mad at Capcom for not allowing button input changes as many people really didn't like the control layout that Capcom implemented for the Anniversary Collection. For me the Mega Man games I have only played are MM2 and MMX4.

I never got that complaint. The Gamecube controller was made for Mega Man X. The ability to jump, dash and shoot, in any combination, or being able to charge while Dash-jumping, with just your thumb, is amazing. If you've played Mario Kart Double Dash, then you should be able to get GCN's MMX Collection controls. It's the same concept, put your thumb over the B, A, and Y buttons, then apply pressure where you need it.

That's actually another reason to be excited for the Switch version come to think of it, since it recently added GCN contrller support.

12 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

Come to think of it, I've always wanted a game about the Elf Wars. Seems like there was too much potential there not to explore it a bit. 

Very true. Lot of un-mined story there.

8 hours ago, Marxforever said:

I never got that complaint. The Gamecube controller was made for Mega Man X. The ability to jump, dash and shoot, in any combination, or being able to charge while Dash-jumping, with just your thumb, is amazing. If you've played Mario Kart Double Dash, then you should be able to get GCN's MMX Collection controls. It's the same concept, put your thumb over the B, A, and Y buttons, then apply pressure where you need it.

I dunno, I kind of feel that a control stick isn't well suited to 2D platformers in general. For the amount of precision required by the platforming in MegaMan (in general but Classic especially), I'll take a D-pad any day. I haven't played the Game Cube X Collection, but the Game Cube Anniversary Collection controls are all messed up. Switching A and B for jump and shoot and forcing me to use the tiny, stiff D-pad on the Game Cube controller nearly ruin the experience. 

Plus MegaMan Zero spoiled me. I have to map Dash to L in any game I play now. :P 

2 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

I dunno, I kind of feel that a control stick isn't well suited to 2D platformers in general. For the amount of precision required by the platforming in MegaMan (in general but Classic especially), I'll take a D-pad any day. I haven't played the Game Cube X Collection, but the Game Cube Anniversary Collection controls are all messed up. Switching A and B for jump and shoot and forcing me to use the tiny, stiff D-pad on the Game Cube controller nearly ruin the experience. 

Plus MegaMan Zero spoiled me. I have to map Dash to L in any game I play now. :P 

Yeah, the Gamecube D-pad is god awful. Never use it, EVER. Fortunately Mega Man X is a series that really only ever needs you to press right of left, very occasionally up or down. I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm use to Smash Bros, but I have no problem using an analog stick for 2D games. Personally, I've found it to be perfectly responsive. You don't even have to press the stick all the way either, it begins to read your input the second you press a direction, so you don't have to worry about "input lag" or anything like that. And like I said, being able to preform all three key actions with just my thumb made it really hard to go back the SNES, where if you don't assign the dash to L, you have to do the claw to dash jump while charging, lol.

I own Anniversary collection on the GCN as well, same deal. Never had much of an issue with it and I played through all 8 titles. I was able to go where I wanted when I needed to and slide without any difficulty, all with the stick. Like I said, could just be because I'm use to 2D with a stick thanks to Smash.

Edited by Marxforever
4 hours ago, Marxforever said:

Yeah, the Gamecube D-pad is god awful. Never use it, EVER. Fortunately Mega Man X is a series that really only ever needs you to press right of left, very occasionally up or down. I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm use to Smash Bros, but I have no problem using an analog stick for 2D games. Personally, I've found it to be perfectly responsive. You don't even have to press the stick all the way either, it begins to read your input the second you press a direction, so you don't have to worry about "input lag" or anything like that. And like I said, being able to preform all three key actions with just my thumb made it really hard to go back the SNES, where if you don't assign the dash to L, you have to do the claw to dash jump while charging, lol.

I own Anniversary collection on the GCN as well, same deal. Never had much of an issue with it and I played through all 8 titles. I was able to go where I wanted when I needed to and slide without any difficulty, all with the stick. Like I said, could just be because I'm use to 2D with a stick thanks to Smash.

Smash I feel is a bit of a special case though. It justifies using analog for movement because the movement responds to variable pressure, which is something few platformers really do. Depending on how you move the stick left or right, you can slowly crawl, walk, run, or dash, all without the use of another input. That level of complication doesn't exist in something like Shovel Knight or MegaMan. And while it's true that you don't have to press a direction all the way, having to continually stop myself from doing it anyway is a mental battle I don't need while playing, and it's something where a D-pad is just simpler. I mean, I can't imagine trying to fight the dragon boss in the Wily stages of MegaMan 2 using the stick, given how much that fight has you rocking the D-pad back and forth to make jumps and turn backwards for a quick potshot. 

I'll grant you that the degree to which that input lag matters varies from game to game. In MegaMan Classic, it might be enough to get you killed. Whereas in Samus Returns it matters a lot less- partly because precise aiming requires analog input, and partly because the level design isn't built expecting the player to make incredibly precise jumps at a moment's notice.

Sorry, I don't mean to come off as snobbish. I'm just trying to properly explain my grievance with the Anniversary Collection. To each their own, really. :P 

On 12/6/2017 at 9:39 AM, Marxforever said:

That's actually another reason to be excited for the Switch version come to think of it, since it recently added GCN contrller support.

Very true. Lot of un-mined story there.

Yeah I was talking about the regular Megaman games not X. I actually wound up getting X Collection for the PS2 because the controller was closest to the SNES.

• Chrom featured and unfeatured this topic
  • 2 months later...

The pack - which will also be available in a retail version with MMLC on a game card and a download code for MMLC2 - will include all 10 iconic games in the series...

Unlike something like Resident Evil Revelations and Bayonetta's case, which was somewhat understandable, there is no need for a this "one physical, the other download" thing for Megaman Legacy Collection given they all can fit on a CD or Gamecube disc. Though I've already decided to get this digitally, can't help but feel disappointed by the fact.

Edited by avalonknight