Elysium - N4A Chat Thread, December 2017

Tyranogre

So, has anyone been able to figure out those Christmas movies where Santa is real but adults don't believe in him?  Parents never express any concern or confusion about all the presents under their trees that they didn't buy.

2 minutes ago, Reilly said:

So, has anyone been able to figure out those Christmas movies where Santa is real but adults don't believe in him?  Parents never express any concern or confusion about all the presents under their trees that they didn't buy.

Do parents NOT believe in him though? They seem to be neither here nor there about his existence

Funny story: My parents used to keep bows and ribbons, etc along with leftover unused wrapping paper in our "Christmas supplies" box in the basement.

Anyways, occasionally a tag or two would be stuck to a bow and make its way in there. So, one year I went out and bought myself a few presents I know I never asked for, wrapped them up and put them under the tree with previous years' "To Steve From Santa" tags done in my parents' handwriting (they always used "from Santa" even to today).

Christmas morning comes and my parents get us to do the whole one-at-a-time, take turns and watch unwrapping. You say who it's from, unwrap it, then show it off and thank whomever gave it to you. My turn rolls up, Dad hands me a gift from Santa, I open it up knowing what it was since I bought it for myself, then do the over the top "WOOOOOW, THANKS SANTA!" and watch my parents exchange awkward glances. A few more rounds and another pops up. This time with mouthed words of "did you buy him that?!" between the two and they asked me to show them the tag. My siblings go again, and finally my last "Santa" gift shows up. Open it up, and this one is expensive. My siblings are pissed at the "favouritism" going on. My Dad asks who gave it to me, I say Santa, then my parents start with "well I didn't get him it" back and forth, and I'm deadpan insisting it was from Santa and that one of them must've gotten me it and asking how they even knew I wanted these things.

No one ever clued in. I let them stew on it until on New Years dinner when, without lifting my gaze from plate, I just muttered out "I bought them for myself" barely audible. Dad drops his fork, "what did you say?" - "I bought them for myself and used old tags I found in the basement", and he slams his hand on the table and yells "I FUCKING KNEW IT!!!" and keep in mind this is probably the 4th time in my entire life I've heard him drop an F-bomb, and here is yelling it after slamming the table with a bunch of my aunts, uncles, and cousins all around. It was hilarious. 

6 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

Do parents NOT believe in him though? They seem to be neither here nor there about his existence

The Santa Clause is one of the biggest offenders here.  Not only is it made clear that the adults think Santa isn't real, but they're also quite insistent on proving it.  Charlie's mom recounts the time she stopped believing, as does Neil, Charlie's stepdad.  Speaking of Neil, he's also a psychiatrist and part of his therapy with Charlie involves convincing him that Santa isn't real.

I haven't seen The Polar Express in quite a while, but I'm pretty sure one of the big things was that the bell rings only for those who believe in Santa.

Those are the only two that I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure there are others, too.

And that story is hilarious.  I wish I ever thought to do that.

3 hours ago, ace said:

Windshield Wiper Update:

I accidentally used my old card and payment didn’t go through last night. The delivery was bumped to Sunday. 

How come you bought wipers off of Amazon and didn’t buy it from a store ala Pep Boys and/or AutoZone. Would have been much quicker instead of having to wait a few days for them to arrive.

18 minutes ago, Isotope said:

How come you bought wipers off of Amazon and didn’t buy it from a store ala Pep Boys and/or AutoZone. Would have been much quicker instead of having to wait a few days for them to arrive.

I hit up Advance first. A set of cheap crap wipers was $30. I went to autozone next and it was the same story. 

I checked on amazon and got a set of RainX Lattitudes for that price. A single wiper was $30 in store.