Net neutrality and Ninfora: how could N4A be affected?

Fuzzer1

3 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Alright, take a deep breath y'all. Other countries have been fine without net neutrality. We only had it since, what, 2015? Let's try not to make this the end. If monopolies happen, actions will be taken. The courts will never hear the end of it from multiple cases if worse comes to worse.

Uh no. The isp's were able to break up the internet into packages. Meaning people would have to pay that much more for access. That's in part why people are upset. Monopolies are already here lol. Comcast and all them have their own areas where people can get access. For example, in my area... only have access to them and AT&T for general internet meaning not via satellite. So it's already a rigged game in part.

Via Wiki:

In the United States, net neutrality has been an issue of contention among network users and access providers since the 1990s.[1][2]Until 2015, there were no clear legal protections requiring net neutrality. In 2015 the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) classified broadband as a Title II communication service with providers being "common carriers", not "information providers".[3][4][5][6]

Throughout 2005 and 2006, corporations supporting both sides of the issue zealously lobbied Congress.[7] Between 2005 and 2012, five attempts to pass bills in Congress containing net neutrality provisions failed. Each sought to prohibit Internet service providers from using various variable pricing models based upon the user's Quality of Service level, described as tiered service in the industry and as price discrimination arising from abuse of "local monopolies enshrined in law" by some economists.[8][9][10]

In April 2014, the FCC reported a new draft rule that would have permitted ISPs to offer content providers a faster track to send content, thus reversing its earlier net neutrality position.[11] In May 2014, the FCC decided to consider two options: permitting fast and slow broadband lanes, thereby compromising net neutrality; and second, reclassifying broadband as a telecommunication service, thereby preserving net neutrality.[12] In November 2014, President Barack Obama recommended that the FCC reclassify broadband Internet service as a telecommunications service.[13] In January 2015, Republicanspresented an HR discussion draft bill that made concessions to net neutrality but prohibited the FCC from enacting any further regulation affecting ISPs.[14] On February 26, 2015, the FCC ruled in favor of net neutrality by reclassifying broadband as a common carrier under Title II of the Communications Act of 1934 and Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996.[3][15][16] On April 13, 2015, the FCC published the final rule on its new "Net Neutrality" regulations.[17][18] These rules went into effect on June 12, 2015.[19]

Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_in_the_United_States

So in regards to the law, you're right. But the fight has been going on since the 90's.

I'd hope so.

43 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Uh no. The isp's were able to break up the internet into packages. Meaning people would have to pay that much more for access. That's in part why people are upset. Monopolies are already here lol. Comcast and all them have their own areas where people can get access. For example, in my area... only have access to them and AT&T for general internet meaning not via satellite. So it's already a rigged game in part.

Via Wiki:

Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_in_the_United_States

So in regards to the law, you're right. But the fight has been going on since the 90's.

I'd hope so.

Well yeah, I was referring to the 2015 law obviously, but point taken still.

Okay, to word it differently, I mean if they start rocking the boat too much where too many or most can’t reasonably afford internet anymore, they’ll lose too much money, their stocks will plummet, and other bad things. Already the ISP’s are trying to fan the flames in light of people’s fears, and if they do their worst to like fuck over consumers they’ll be called out to hell and back.

Edited by Ridley Prime
2 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Well yeah, I was referring to the 2015 law obviously, but point taken still.

Okay, to word it differently, I mean if they start rocking the boat too much where too many or most can’t reasonably afford internet anymore, they’ll lose too much money, their stocks will plummet, and other bad things. Already the ISP’s are trying to fan the flames in light of people’s fears, and if they do their worst to like fuck over consumers they’ll be called out to hell and back.

Ah well... pretty sure they wouldn't care. They'd still have plenty of wealthy customers. They wouldn't miss the general public.

Yea, but I wouldn't put it past them. Like that new plan to raise prices that much more that I read recently in the LA Times. It's just another sneaky way for them to make money off of paying customers.

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Ah well... pretty sure they wouldn't care. They'd still have plenty of wealthy customers. They wouldn't miss the general public.

Yea, but I wouldn't put it past them. Like that new plan to raise prices that much more that I read recently in the LA Times. It's just another sneaky way for them to make money off of paying customers.

The wealthy wouldn’t be the majority though. There’d still be much loss.

I have my suspicions too. Some form of price increase will probably happen, but by how much remains to be seen. If the ISP’s say “we’re not gonna do this” but later have prices/deals that say otherwise, people and customers are gonna see through that shit, call them out on it, and take action against them depending.

Much is uncertain right now, but it’s not all over yet. The resistance remains strong as ever. I wish there were more comforting things to say, especially to those being nigh suicidal over this... Just remember what all you have to look forward to so you don’t let this make you become miserable, especially with the holidays here.

16 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

The wealthy wouldn’t be the majority though. There’d still be much loss.

I have my suspicions too. Some form of price increase will probably happen, but by how much remains to be seen. If the ISP’s say “we’re not gonna do this” but later have prices/deals that say otherwise, people and customers are gonna see through that shit, call them out on it, and take action against them depending.

Much is uncertain right now, but it’s not all over yet. The resistance remains strong as ever. I wish there were more comforting things to say, especially to those being nigh suicidal over this... Just remember what all you have to look forward to so you don’t let this make you become miserable, especially with the holidays here.

Yea. But like I said, they won't care.

Word. But they've pretty much done that for years with extra costs and such. They're just doing the old song and dance again.

I agree with you on that. We can't give up.

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yea. But like I said, they won't care.

Word. But they've pretty much done that for years with extra costs and such. They're just doing the old song and dance again.

I agree with you on that. We can't give up.

True, it won’t be anything new in that sense, but a certain severity of price increases would eventually and loudly beg the question from people, “Where does it end?”.

Yeah, anything less would just be letting Pai and them win. Stay strong.

1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

True, it won’t be anything new in that sense, but a certain severity of price increases would eventually and loudly beg the question from people, “Where does it end?”.

Yeah, anything less would just be letting Pai and them win. Stay strong.

I think a lot of people have been doing that for years in part. The isp's are insidious there.

Definitely. Been reblogging stuff on Twitter, Tumblr and I left a text today. 

Have you guys checked out the #RoastAjit tag on Twitter yet? Some of it is pretty funny. bigsmile; We need all the laughs we can get at this point. There are some questionable tweets in it, but I block anything on my feed that's offensive. Not letting any rotten apples spoil anything good from it.

Screw these bastards.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/7xwknx/republican-members-of-congress-fcc-letter

Source:  vice

No wonder why some states aren't involved in the lawsuits. They're in the companies pockets.

Time to bug the hell out of them.

Edited by Doc Brown