TIME Magazine names Nintendo Switch one of the 25 best inventions of 2017

TIME Magazine has put together a list of the 25 best inventions of 2017 and the Switch has made the list!...

Link to article: https://gonintendo.com/stories/295750-time-names-the-switch-one-of-the-the-25-best-inventions-of-2017

It's crazy just how much everyone loves the Switch. Nice to see Nintendo with another successful system after the failure that was the Wii U.

Um cool....I guess. What I can't take seriously is that Fidget Spinners have been around since the 90's so that isn't a invention of 2017. It suddenly surge in popularity this year for some reason. Never had one then and I don't have one.

This wording is all I seen in this post....

1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

after the failure that was the Wii U.

Let that sink in what a bounce back Nintendo have achieved.

6 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

Makes you wonder what the Wii U could've done if they didn't call it the Wii U and announce its successor three years early.

Yep. One thing I like better about the U than the Switch is the Gamepad. It just feels sturdier. I like it better than the Switch's. I feel like I'd have to be uber, uber, uber careful with it (not that I'm not with the Gamepad) since I have pets in the house. I''d hate for it to get scratched or damaged due to them.

• Chrom featured this topic
19 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

Makes you wonder what the Wii U could've done if they didn't call it the Wii U and announce its successor three years early.

Makes you wonder what it could've done if they released it with a good seller right off the bat instead of just NSMB
and then waited 2 years to put anything else decent on it.
I do agree on the name, too, but I doubt that's the main reason. I mean, look at the fucking "Xbox One X"

Edited by Pichi

name itself wouldn't have killed it if that was the only problem. it's that it had that name and it wasn't being named as a new console. it was danced around as a peripheral/accessory rather than being called what it actually was. hell, even a lot of people who had wiis and loved nintendo at the time didn't know it was going to be a new console until fairly soon before launch (myself included)

The failure of the WiiU is compounded by a multitude of problems, both internal and external. It can be the initial impression by the E3 reveal with just the controller, its unconventional "sequel" name sounding like an addon, the promise of a second Gamepad support, and maybe an identity crisis. Then there's third party support pulling out, such as EA from its "unprecedented" partnership to lack of support (Said to be Nintendo changing their online plans from using Origin to something else, angering EA. Another may had to do with EA wanting EA Access on the console, but Nintendo won't let them), Ubisoft intentionally holding back games (which may or may not be completed) until WiiU sales pick back up. Or the market regarding tablet gaming is changed too much, and Nintendo either missed the mark or was late. Okay, end this stream of consciousness .

But one of the things that made me upset with the WiiU is that it had so much gaming potential with its dual screen and asynchronous setup. I would have loved to have tried to make something for it.

But for the Switch to be one of the best inventions of the year. It might not be a new thing, but I think it's more influential than anything.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:33 AM, avalonknight said:

The failure of the WiiU is compounded by a multitude of problems, both internal and external. It can be the initial impression by the E3 reveal with just the controller, its unconventional "sequel" name sounding like an addon, the promise of a second Gamepad support, and maybe an identity crisis. Then there's third party support pulling out, such as EA from its "unprecedented" partnership to lack of support (Said to be Nintendo changing their online plans from using Origin to something else, angering EA. Another may had to do with EA wanting EA Access on the console, but Nintendo won't let them), Ubisoft intentionally holding back games (which may or may not be completed) until WiiU sales pick back up. Or the market regarding tablet gaming is changed too much, and Nintendo either missed the mark or was late. Okay, end this stream of consciousness .

But one of the things that made me upset with the WiiU is that it had so much gaming potential with its dual screen and asynchronous setup. I would have loved to have tried to make something for it.

But for the Switch to be one of the best inventions of the year. It might not be a new thing, but I think it's more influential than anything.

The Wii U provided no real advantage over the Xbox One, the PS4, and PC.  That's really the main reason.

The Switch provides an advantage over smartphones in that there are more games for it made for button controls, rather than touch controls.  (And you don't have to buy a separate product to add buttons.)

12 hours ago, Yehu Bihdi said:

The Wii U provided no real advantage over the Xbox One, the PS4, and PC.  That's really the main reason.

The Switch provides an advantage over smartphones in that there are more games for it made for button controls, rather than touch controls.  (And you don't have to buy a separate product to add buttons.)

We can argue the WiiU's failings, but I'm on the side of the devs are cheap and/or lazy, especially with porting. The first year or so of third-party ports showed promise, but it trailed off rather quickly. We shouldn't compare the Switch to smartphones and maybe tablets, since it is really unfair given it's for different markets. It is built partly as a handheld console, after all, we should be comparing it to the Vita (maybe 3DS, but it's more or less a successor unless they want an actual dedicated handheld).

Edited by avalonknight