Pokémon GO developer announces Harry Potter real-world AR game

Niantic, the devolper of PKMN GO has announced a new real-world AR game themed around the wizarding world of Harry Potter...

Makes me wonder if this is just going to be a reskined PKMN GO or something new and interesting? 🤔 I mean, PKMN GO works as a real-world game, because of the IP. Though, I guess Harry Potter could work, if you think about it. I just hope this doesn't take away from PKMN GO.

• alienboyva changed the title to Pokémon GO developer announces Harry Potter real-world AR game

Niantic is already failing to manage two games--why not juggle a third?

Maybe WB didn't realize that Pokemon Go has only succeeded because of its nostalgic IP and massive gamer fan base. It's been making millions a day for a year and a half and Niantic still can't make it run properly--and let's not forget a certain belated birthday bash that turned out to be one of the worst PR disasters of the year.

Not that Wizards Unite won''t be a huge moneymaker. But it could've been a bigger one of they'd waited for a competent developer to come along. I don't expect many PoGo players will go near any other Niantic offerings.

8 minutes ago, Shulk said:

I meant servers crashing. I just can never get on.

I see. I run into that a lot too.

I end up clearing the cache and then force stop it. That helps some times.

Recently though, I ran into my character not even moving right. Glad that it at least counted my steps towards hatching my Poke eggs, but it's a bit annoying.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I see. I run into that a lot too.

I end up clearing the cache and then force stop it. That helps some times.

Recently though, I ran into my character not even moving right. Glad that it at least counted my steps towards hatching my Poke eggs, but it's a bit annoying.

That's the problem I ran into all the time. I figured there is no point playing a game if half the time is trying to just get it to work. >_<

Just now, Shulk said:

That's the problem I ran into all the time. I figured there is no point playing a game if half the time is trying to just get it to work. >_<

Don't blame ya there. It gets to be a pain in the butt.

Wish that they'd focus on improving their servers instead of making more and more games.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Don't blame ya there. It gets to be a pain in the butt.

Wish that they'd focus on improving their servers instead of making more and more games.

That's exactly the point. Especially since some people like to put money into these app games. You'd think they would get what they put into it. If what has been said is true, that they make a ton of money from this game alone, then that money should be put back into the servers. I mean if the game ran properly more people would play it and then they would make even more money.

12 minutes ago, Shulk said:

That's exactly the point. Especially since some people like to put money into these app games. You'd think they would get what they put into it. If what has been said is true, that they make a ton of money from this game alone, then that money should be put back into the servers. I mean if the game ran properly more people would play it and then they would make even more money.

Good point. Exactly. But they seem to be very greedy on that end and don't put in the effort to keep things up well enough.

On 11/10/2017 at 6:34 PM, Destiny Hero said:

Niantic is already failing to manage two games--why not juggle a third?

Maybe WB didn't realize that Pokemon Go has only succeeded because of its nostalgic IP and massive gamer fan base. It's been making millions a day for a year and a half and Niantic still can't make it run properly--and let's not forget a certain belated birthday bash that turned out to be one of the worst PR disasters of the year.

Not that Wizards Unite won''t be a huge moneymaker. But it could've been a bigger one of they'd waited for a competent developer to come along. I don't expect many PoGo players will go near any other Niantic offerings.

Scratch that, a statement's been put out saying that Niantic is NOT developing Wizards Unite. Niantic has supposedly been brought on board only to help with AR and map features.

So it seems there is still hope for the Potterheads out there.