Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp Discussion Thread | *Version 1.2.0 available (Big Update)!*

4 hours ago, Carl321 said:

If they had all furniture up front it might have given people something to work towards but when you're level 15 and can only choose between ranch, green, and modern there's not much incentive.

Pretty much this!

I feel like Pocket Camp is missing a big part of what makes Animal Crossing, Animal Crossing...The variety between player's games. Because of this I feel there's no incentive to visit people's campsites, because everyone has like the same furni, the same amenities, and the same animals (Unless, they started with the AUS release). I think they could have found a better way of unlocking things, instead of by leveling up. Like take animals for example, they should be added randomly. Imagine in the main AC games, if everyone got the same animals and the same furni at the same pace. 

IDK maybe things will get better once people unlock more? Though, hopefully future updates will improve things and keep people playing, besides collecting items during events/holidays.

Edited by alienboyva

despite being a huge ac fan with a fuckton of hours into new leaf and hhd, i do have to agree with the earlier sentiment of there's just no motivation to play this

i played on the first day and then not again until yesterday and today and there's just....i have a hard time explaining what isn't really hitting those buttons for me, but pocket camp isn't really doing it 

the long wait times, the general slowness, the repeated activities, uncustomizable areas, the limited storage space....it all adds up to a well-made game, but not a very well-tailored experience coming off of new leaf

i feel like, if nintendo had made this game 10-20 dollars, put it on the eshop, and let me customize a campground in the same kind of fashion, i would enjoy this a lot more, but the mobile elements don't really mesh well with the feel of animal crossing as a whole

there are a lot of things to like about this tiny installment, but nothing that really gives me a reason to keep coming back

It's a very well made little game, but the activities feel really robotic. In New Leaf (which I've played an embarrassing amount of), you're free to do whatever you want at your own leisure. In Pocket Camp it feels like you have to go to each area and you have to collect all the resources and you have to fill out requests because if you don't... well there's nothing else to do. partner that with really limited offerings in the shop and an irritatingly slow crafting system and you get a game that I'll probably fall off of really quick. I think I got to level 10 and I just don't feel any motivation to go back to it.

I've actually gone back to New Leaf after not playing for like 6 months and have been loving it so I guess I can thank pocket camp for that

It looks like Animal Crossing, it sounds like Animal Crossing, but it just doesn't feel like Animal Crossing. It was fun for the first day, but I stopped having fun very quickly when I noticed I was going the same repetitive actions over and over again. You need materials and money to build your camp, but to do this you need to complete the same quest over and over. 

With so few bugs and fish, hunting for them just doesn't have the same feel and mystery that traditional Animal crossing has. There are only so many ways to make money in this game, and no matter what it's always painfully slow. The important word there being painful. Animal crossing might always be slow, but you enjoy doing the activities in those games.

There are like 5 or 6 animal personalities, and they repeat dialogue so often, so talking to them very quickly becomes annoying, only making the money making process even more tedious. Finally, even after you have all the materials you need, I just don't feel like I have much freedom. The rv is not as fun as decorating a house, and the campsite is so small. Not having most of the furniture sets to work with certainty doesn't help. The lovely set all made it in, but as much as I like it, it's just not enough. I get that it's a phone game, but regardless, it just isn't fun.

To top it all off, there's no more fish puns. :c 

I hit level 21 a few days after release. It got to a point where I had max friendship with many of the animals, but I couldn't build any amenities because they so rarely give me cotton. At that point it immediately became one of the most demoralizing games I've ever played. Progress was locked behind randomly obtaining large amounts of scarce resources that wouldn't drop.

Oh but of course I've got ten billion units of steel. I could craft plenty of crayons out of that for some reason.

57 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

I hit level 21 a few days after release. It got to a point where I had max friendship with many of the animals, but I couldn't build any amenities because they so rarely give me cotton. At that point it immediately became one of the most demoralizing games I've ever played. Progress was locked behind randomly obtaining large amounts of scarce resources that wouldn't drop.

Oh but of course I've got ten billion units of steel. I could craft plenty of crayons out of that for some reason.

Yeah, same here. I'm lvl 25 (almost 26) and have a shit-ton on metal, but hardly any cotton, which I desperately need. I already had to use some My Nintendo points to get some.

Cotton is a pain in the butt but once you realize each animal is predisposed to give a certain type of reward you can farm it a bit easier. I know Bud the lion, Rex the lion, Tex the penguin, and Maggie the pig give cotton as their primary reward most often. I also used all my Club Nintendo points buying cotton because I realized it'd be a pain.

Don't get me started on cute essence...

Yeah, by limiting supplies it really seems like they're trying to incite you to buy leaf tickets, so you can use them to supplement what you don't have. I know they want to make money on the game, but that's just going to make people stop playing. I haven't spent any money on the game and currently have 602 leaf tickets. I rather save my tickets for special items/characters instead of use them to supplement supplies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure how many people know this, be there's a once a day money tree. Once a day a random non-fruit-bearing tree, will drop 1 bag of bells. I believe the amount of bells is random as well, with the most being 1k.

Edited by alienboyva
2 hours ago, Carl321 said:

Cotton is a pain in the butt but once you realize each animal is predisposed to give a certain type of reward you can farm it a bit easier. I know Bud the lion, Rex the lion, Tex the penguin, and Maggie the pig give cotton as their primary reward most often. I also used all my Club Nintendo points buying cotton because I realized it'd be a pain.

Don't get me started on cute essence...

Cool. Any animals who aren't ugly and gross though? I don't want to be friends with the ugly ones. I have standards.

2 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

Cool. Any animals who aren't ugly and gross though? I don't want to be friends with the ugly ones. I have standards.

This should help... ;)

Spoiler

9NDuOpA.jpg

I think the times in the infographic may be wrong, because I've actually seen the game update at the below times...

Times in EST for convenience:

Villagers/Quarry (every 3 hrs) - 1 am | 4 am | 7 am | 10 am | 1 pm | 4 pm | 7 pm | 10 pm 

Market Place (every 6 hrs) - 1 am | 7 am | 1 pm  |7 pm

*Villagers currently moving every 3 hrs and 10 mins to reduce server load*

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp Discussion Thread | 🎄Holiday Event! - (11/30 - ?)🎄

The Holiday event will be starting tomorrow! No world yet on when it will end.

✨ Upcoming events ✨ tomorrow 11 / 30 Christmas event starts from 15:00 island and ❗ can craft furniture perfect for Christmas for a limited period of time. and I! Enjoy the ♪ #ポケ森

For all you Android users, you can get a rainbow Isabelle tee and a rainbow K.k. tee as a log-in bonus. These are available until Jan.. 7th

Damn! Androind only?! WHY?! T_T I hope ios will be able to get these as well. I guess I'm going to have to download the game on my tablet. I wonder if it would still get it, even though I've already logged-in to the game with my My Nintendo account on my iPhone? 

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp Discussion Thread | 🎄Holiday Event! 11/30 - 12/26 + Rainbow Isabelle & K.K. tees avail. until 1/7 (Android only)👕

Well, the Holiday event is live and it seems Nintendo really wants you to buy leaf tickets to build a nice Xmas camp. All the items require 50 - 300 candy canes and animals are VERY stingy with them. There are some you can get from timed goals, but 40 of them (2 sets of 20) require you to build things that cost 20 candy canes each and the others require more than you'll even earn.  You can probably get all the holiday items if you grind the fuck out of the event, but if you want to build something that looks nice, you're going to have to pony-up. This is what i feared the most with AC going to mobile...Having to pay to nicely decorate your place with holiday/event furni.

Yeah, Nintendo knows how much we love to collect shit in AC and you know they're going to exploit that weakness as much as possible for profit.

It's worth knowing that you can get a lot of candy canes from Shovelstrike Quarry too, it'll tell you on the map when they're the currently active reward. I've not personally tried it yet but I've heard people getting over 30 per visit with enough luck from the nuggets.

It's a long grind to get all the holiday items without Leaf Tickets, but I think it's very doable if you're just looking to catalog them. I've already gotten the smaller ones out of the way and am just working towards the larger ones now.

Yeah, the grind to get all the Holiday items without using leaf tickets is REAL. I saw were someone did the math and you need at least 33 candy canes a day to get all the items in time. I have a feeling I'm not going to get all the items and that's OK, I guess. I had an idea of how I wanted to decorate my camp that involved doubles of the fence and light post, but that's not going to happen. *sigh*  I know I could use leaf tickets, but I'm saving my nearly 700 tickets I've acquired by just playing the game for items I want that you can only get with tickets.

Well, at least I got the festive tree ! ^_^  ...Just to get enough candy canes to build the fence and I'll have the complete Santa out fit (too bad there's no beard like in NL).

Spoiler

As for the quarry, I've also heard people were getting quite a bit of candy canes from it. Now, if I could just get enough friends to help me get in, at least once (I'm always short by one or 2 friends before it resets). I think some on my list only played once and were like "Nope! Not for me." :(

Edited by alienboyva

You need 1110 candy canes for one of each item right? I've already amassed 551 of the required canes. You can easily get your 33 a day from requests, and a bunch of the goals give you almost all your candy back for building two or three of the items. I have no tickets really, since I spent mine on the nook and kk chairs, but I've been in the quarry to farm canes multiple times due to help. Just keep adding friends and eventually you'll get the active ones.

Edited by Gold